Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default All-New Wolverine 31

The issue begins with the preview. Jonathan is...well, being a mustelid, and has gnawed the foot off of the Pelican statue, so Laura makes Gabby take him for a walk to burn off his energy. However Jonathan picks up a familiar scent: The lab where he was experimented on is blocks away from the apartment! Needing help, but unsure if Laura would be up for breaking into the place, Gabby calls her BFF Deadpool. Wade arrives (Jonathan immediately demonstrating he's not overly fond of the Merc with the Mouth) and they plan their attack. While Gabby distracts the guards outside, Wade slips in behind them and chloroforms them both (they're on a no-kill mission, after all). He even gifts Gabby with her very own bottle! With the perimeter secured, Gabby suits up and they enter the building.

They're confronted by a security guard at the front desk, and Gabby subdues him, not realizing that she was supposed to CATCH the guy as he fell (but as Wade says, it's ok because it's her first chloroforming). They gain access to the computers, and decide their first step should be to release the locks on all the animal cages. This...turns out not to be such a good idea, because as they enter the lab itself they're horrified (and squee over) the discovery that the test subjects have been ZOMBIFIED. The animals attack, and Wade, Gabby, and Jonathan leap into the fray. Because they're a zombie horde of rabbits, squirrels, (hope Doreen doesn't find out!) and other small critters, they obviously don't put up much of a fight, and the trio soon have all the zombies put down.

Meanwhile, Laura, wondering what Gabby has gotten up to, arrives to discover the carnage. She admonishes Gabby that she ought to have trusted her with this, and agrees to help them finish the job.

There's only one other person in the installation: Resident mad scientist Dr. Borland, who angrily confronts them over destroying his creations with the typical, "They said I was mad" spiel. Borland tries to throw them out at gunpoint, but Wade just pushes past him to check out what's behind Door Number Three (ominously marked, The Pit). In a pit dug in the floor of the room they find Jonathan's family, all turned into zombies. Laura and Wade immediately suss out there's no actual science or research being done, the entire setup is basically a Zombie Animal Fight Club. Gabby is horrified, and Borland tries to shoot Jonathan, but Laura slices his gun in two. Jonathan menaces Borland until he loses his footing and topples into the pit, where in time-honored traditionhe's eaten alive by his own creations.

With nothing more to be done, Deadpool preps the building to burn, and gives Gabby the honors of lighting it up. The group watches the building burn, while Jonathan tells Laura and Gabby his old family is gone, but he has a new one now (and intends to eat part of Wade while he sleeps).

I really only have two words to sum up just how brilliantly hilarious this issue was:

ZOMBIE. SLOTH.

ESPECIALLY that Taylor gleefully took the time to waste an entire five-panel page JUST for that one joke.

Gabby and Wade's inappropriately adorable relationship continues to stand out, while the story also makes for a nice character moment for Laura and Gabby. The artwork has a bit of an after-school cartoon feel to it that really sets it apart from previous issues, yet PERFECTLY suits the unashamed absurdity of the plot.

This is honestly one of the single best issues in the entire book.

Unglaublich!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is honestly one of the single best issues in the entire book.
    I'd agree with that assessment. I'm not really enjoying Taylor's take on Laura but this issue read a lot like the Deadpool movie, and I enjoyed it for that reason more than anything.

Awwww, I remember my first bottle of chloroform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Basically what this means is we need a Deadpool & Honey Badger mini series by Taylor.

Astonishing Member

This is the best feel good issue we've had in a long time.
    Now we need a Laura vs Deadpool comic having them fight over custody of gabby.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Basically what this means is we need a Deadpool & Honey Badger mini series by Taylor.
    I second this.

This issue was so much fun. It put a huge smile on my face, made me laugh, and was just a wonderfully entertaining story on every level. It's rare I get to say that about a single issue of an ongoing series, but between a talking wolverine, Deadpool, and a zombie sloth, this just had too many wonderful things going for it. It highlights all the reason why Gabby is so lovable, why Deadpool is so fun, and why Laura is so endearing. Plus, it had cute animals. I honestly don't know how this issue could've been more entertaining. It was just that great.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I’m reasonably certain that the standard amount of firepower for an animal research laboratory is none, Wade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Rank 8 of 10.

A fun issue what is good from time to time since the latest adventures of Laura and her sister were not easy and had a great emotional charge.

I just watched a review of this issue. Might be the worst Marvel comic I've ever seen (either this one, any issue of America, or Squirrel Girl).

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I just watched a review of this issue. Might be the worst Marvel comic I've ever seen (either this one, any issue of America, or Squirrel Girl).
    You or the reviewer?

Either way, I vehemently disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Sigh. Got any critique that don't have any of the following keywords: "SJW", "feminism", "PC", "counterculture", or "gay agenda"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    You or the reviewer?

Either way, I vehemently disagree.
    Given his past vocal distaste for the character, I got no friggen clue why he even bothered setting foot in this thread in the first place unless it was to stir **** up.

It doesn't really bother me. I just find it funny when something like an issue gets widespread praise and adoration and then one person comes in and calls it the worst thing ever.

BANNED

Loved this issue. Great one and done.