Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think the artwork's been pretty much fine, it just doesn't matter that the artwork is fine because the writing paired with it is so lacklustre.

Because Marc Guggenheim is writing it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I've seen no reason to check for his other work, but is it only the X-men that he's terrible at writing? Or is he spectacularly subpar at writing everything?

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I've seen no reason to check for his other work, but is it only the X-men that he's terrible at writing? Or is he spectacularly subpar at writing everything?
    No, he’s fucked up other things. Arrow, Justice Society of America, the Flash (the comic, the show is free of his influence). I’m sure there’s other stuff, but that’s the stuff people get angriest about.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    No, he’s fucked up other things. Arrow, Justice Society of America, the Flash (the comic, the show is free of his influence). I’m sure there’s other stuff, but that’s the stuff people get angriest about.
    The Green Lantern and second Percy Jackson movies. Honestly, is there anything good he has written?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Too few people know this, but Guggenheim's first Marvel story was the arc where Logan regenerates from a skeleton in seconds and it's revealed he goes to hell every time he receives a fatal injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    it's revealed he goes to hell every time he receives a fatal injury.
    Has that little tidbit been touched upon since?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Has that little tidbit been touched upon since?
    lol no.

Also the way he returns from the afterlife each time is by killing Lazaer (anagram for Azrael).

https://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue...-3rd-series-48

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    lol no.

Also the way he returns from the afterlife each time is by killing Lazaer (anagram for Azrael).

https://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue...-3rd-series-48
    So he goes to hell, kills Gargamel’s cat, then comes back just to do it all over again? Why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    It's not just this book. Red is terrible, Blue is worse. All-New Wolverine blows. America, Iceman, and Squirrel Girl all stink. Hell, are there any Marvel comics that are that great anymore?

TBF, Red has only had one issue in that issue however it did more to set the narrative for the book, and relationships between the cast organically than, Gold has done in over twenty issues.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The less said about the writing, the better. I made no secret I'm pretty unhappy about the overall creative and editorial direction (or lack thereof) of the X-books and Gold is definitely one of the more lacklustre. I don't even hate it, I just mostly find it boring and uninspiring, with most of the characters having been annihilated and reduced to background noise.

The art hasn't been awful but nothing X-Men-worthy. The way it used to be, the X-Men either had the best talent in town or they launched it themselves (think about DC's current "Master Class", it's almost entirety made up of ex-X-Men/Bob Harras alumni). I like Silva and Molina alright but the X-Men deserve Coipel and McNiven-level star power, and not just for the first 3 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    The less said about the writing, the better. I made no secret I'm pretty unhappy about the overall creative and editorial direction (or lack thereof) of the X-books and Gold is definitely one of the more lacklustre. I don't even hate it, I just mostly find it boring and uninspiring, with most of the characters having been annihilated and reduced to background noise.

The art hasn't been awful but nothing X-Men-worthy. The way it used to be, the X-Men either had the best talent in town or they launched it themselves (think about DC's current "Master Class", it's almost entirety made up of ex-X-Men/Bob Harras alumni). I like Silva and Molina alright but the X-Men deserve Coipel and McNiven-level star power, and not just for the first 3 issues.
    The problem is that a lot of those stars can’t stay for more than three issues. Jim Lee is leaving Immortal Men after one issue. Their styles got too detailed and it takes them too long. So, either put newer talent that can handle double shipping or they leave after three issues anyway regardless of the schedule.

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

They way they're doing it with Terrifics is pretty good. They have a star artist in the first arc (Ivan Reis) and another artist (Doc Shaner) ready to take over after him, but they cooperated extremely closely in the character designs and overall aesthetic.

I think the issue is that the storylines are just too rush so that the characters do not get to breath. I really don't have a feel for Ink or Armor, but if it was my first exposure to Storm, Nightcrawler, or the others I wouldn't have a feel for any of the characters either. I liked the plot of some of the issues but the characters feel either as flat or just an impersonation of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    This x 100! This dude needs to get off comicbpok writing all together.