Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    We had A force by two female writers and got cancelled pretty quickly, you do the math
    It got cancelled pretty quickly because it was a book starring Medusa and Nico Minoru.

Fantastic Member

I haven't been hating on this title like others, but saying "mediocre" does ring true for a lot of it. It feels thin, and I fear the writer has slipped more into the informed ability of Kitty's leadership instead of making her a great leader. We could No-Prize some of it - maybe Storm is having a crisis of confidence after the prevents events. Maybe hers and OML's parental love for Kitty are making them try to prop her up - but then Kitty should be smart enough to notice that. I want her to have a huge imposter syndrome moment, feeling she's getting credit for leadership she knows she hasn't shown.

And yes, when there's a glaring departure from previous continuity, I'd prefer an explanation. Unless we're all supposed to just assume it was a post Secret War glitch?

Me after reading this thinking it would sound interesting:
    https://twitter.com/mywifeshannon/st...50531456835585
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

We’ve all talked about the writing over various threads, but I think I’ll go over the artists in order of their introduction to Gold.

Syaf - a bigot, but what sucks about that is that unlike, say, Jon Malin or Ethan Van Sciver - who aren’t good at art - Syaf’s DC work was highly regarded (especially when colored by Dean White) and I know a lot of people were looking forward to him. However, the first three issues of Gold are rushed and he has poor design sensibilities. Also, he’s a bigot.

Silva - probably the best artist this book has had so far, but was colored by Frank Martin. Frank Martin’s colors on top of Silva’s Immonen-lite style looks really bad and it drags the artwork down.

Lashley - Probably the second best of all the artists. He’s got a unique style and has perfected that style over his many years drawing comics. I think the only problem I have is that some panels are clearly rushed and that he’s drawing Gold.

Medina - Lan Medina’s been drawing comics for a long time now. I like his work usually, but not here. He doesn’t stack up when with Silva or Lashley (let alone previous X-Men artists like Immonen or McGuiness).

Ross - wasted on a one-off before heading back to the Star Wars books.

Mayhew - poor fit for the book, everything looks like it done in Poser (which Deodato Jr. does as well but he makes it work).

Laming - wasted on an issue of Mojo Worldwide.

Bernard - wrong colorist on his issue of Mojo Worldwide, but now looks like a less bigoted Syaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    It's not just this book. Red is terrible, Blue is worse. All-New Wolverine blows. America, Iceman, and Squirrel Girl all stink. Hell, are there any Marvel comics that are that great anymore?
    Red is actually pretty good, but we’re only an issue in thus far so it’s still early. ANW is probably the best written book in the X-line now that GenX is over. Iceman wasn’t bad, but it’s also gotten the axe. Blue and Gold are sub-par, can’t speak for the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

The writing is sub-par because the writing is sub-par. That's like asking why Zack Snyder is such a bad story teller.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have to say I was really excited about this book, more so than any other X book that was out or coming out, however it's been kind of a yawn. I remember when the X-Men books got the biggest profile artists and writers. These days we seem to get whoever is left in the hat after a drawing for all the other books out there. Normally I love Kitty Pryde. She was introduced into Uncanny shortly after I started reading and she's been a great character, but here she is a bit...much. Storm might as well not even exist. Old Man Logan seems to be the only other character getting any kind of treatment (that I can recall.) It's sad when the biggest drama of a series is from a crack pot artist who gets notoriety outside of comics.
    Likewise, I am very surprised at how little I am liking Blue. Bunn did some amazing work on his run of Uncanny X-Men and Magneto, I just dont even know what's going on here.

It's not just this book. Red is terrible, Blue is worse. All-New Wolverine blows. America, Iceman, and Squirrel Girl all stink. Hell, are there any Marvel comics that are that great anymore?
    All-New Wolverine, if you ask me, but there's no accounting for tastes.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra is amazing, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows is good (and has X-Men guest-stars), and most of the non-Doctor Aphra Star Wars titles are decent, at worse. So, I'd say Marvel has good stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The writing is sub-par because the writing is sub-par. That's like asking why Zack Snyder is such a bad story teller.
    I remember seeing a YouTube essay that eviscerated Batman v Superman but did make the case that Snyder was a good filmmaker, just one who's had some stuff not fall through (I'm not sure I agree with all the reasons, but their case that Snyder is anything but a hack seems plausible.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think it’s great.

Can't wait for it to end.

If this book had younger X-Men, I would probably enjoy this book more.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Nostalgia wanking at its worst.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Daredevil and Doctor Strange.

And that's pretty much it...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    We’ve all talked about the writing over various threads, but I think I’ll go over the artists in order of their introduction to Gold.

Syaf - a bigot, but what sucks about that is that unlike, say, Jon Malin or Ethan Van Sciver - who aren’t good at art - Syaf’s DC work was highly regarded (especially when colored by Dean White) and I know a lot of people were looking forward to him. However, the first three issues of Gold are rushed and he has poor design sensibilities. Also, he’s a bigot.
    And he let his politics get into his work. The fact Marvel recalled the issues of Gold with the offending artwork shows how big this was.

Well there was.... no...

Oh and that one book... umm

... yeah I got nothing
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

I really liked the Negative Zone arc, both the story and the artwork. Other than that the book has been slightly better than "meh" for me. It's not really on my radar to get excited about, but I enjoy it just enough to not consider dropping it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.