All-New Member

Default Black Panther Comic Suggestions?

Can anyone give me suggestions on which black panther stories to read? Like what are the best and give the most insight into his character. Not just your favorites, but also the most impactful story lines. Where would you all say begin and end. Thanks

Incredible Member

My recommendations would be the Essential Black Panther (by Don McGregor and Jack Kirby).

Black Panther by Christopher Priest The Complete Collection.

Avengers Red Zone (by Geoff Johns and Olivier Coipel)

Black Panther Who is The Black Panther (and the following volumes of Hudlins run depending on how you like his writing).

New Avengers: Everything Dies (by Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting, the following 4 volumes, Infinity - Adapt or Die are also T'Challa heavy and written by one of the best Marvel writers of the last decade).

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet (Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze. This is another see how you like it if you want to continue the run, I'm lukewarm on the writer)

Incredible Member

Those are listed in order of release so you should be able to go from beginning to present without a hitch, if you want to do your readthrough like that

get the Reggie Hudlin collection
    The J-man

All-New Member

Thank you all so much

Incredible Member

No problem. I forgot to mention there's a motion comic of Reginald Hudlins first storyline, Who Is The Black Panther. Djimon Honsou voices T'Challa. Its condensed and there's a story element from the second arc hinted at more. I consider it a strong improvement over the original. Might be available on a streaming service or YouTube

Just checked, looks like the individual issues are on BETNetworks YouTube page, no pay wall, each issue (1-6) is individually posted as its own video though
    Last edited by Conch22; 04-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    My recommendations would be the Essential Black Panther (by Don McGregor and Jack Kirby).

Black Panther by Christopher Priest The Complete Collection.

Avengers Red Zone (by Geoff Johns and Olivier Coipel)

Black Panther Who is The Black Panther (and the following volumes of Hudlins run depending on how you like his writing).

New Avengers: Everything Dies (by Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting, the following 4 volumes, Infinity - Adapt or Die are also T'Challa heavy and written by one of the best Marvel writers of the last decade).

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet (Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze. This is another see how you like it if you want to continue the run, I'm lukewarm on the writer)
    I'd leave off Coates and add David Liss' run. The Most Dangerous Man Alive is a good arc.

Check Out Don MacGregor's run as well.

If You Like Old Comics:

Panther's Rage

Must Read Solos which are also good places to start (or must tries):

volume 3- Priest
    volume 4- Hudlin
    See Wakanda and Die

If you like Shuri:

volume 5

Fun Book with a Weird Concept but no impactful:

black Panther: man without fear
    Black Panther: most dangerous man alive
    Flags of Our Fathers (prequel about T'challa's grandfather)

Team Books:

Avengers: Red Zone
    The New Fantastic Four
    Ultimates and Ultimates2

Team Book that Doubled as a Solo:

Hickman's New Avengers, Infinity, TRO, Secret Wars Saga

Recent Ongoings and Minis:

Volume 6- Coates
    Rise of the Black Panther (prequel, year 1 book)

i'd start with Priest and work your way through. Each run is very very very different style. If you don't like one move on to the next.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Mind of Shadow, what's your opinion of Jonathan Maberry's run with Shuri as BP? Curious if I should check it out and you seem knowledgeable. Also curious if you've read/ like Evan Narcisse' current Rise of Black Panther series, as he's one of the few writers from IO9 I find to seem genuine and likeable, in regards to his opinion pieces. I'm trade waiting since it's a mini from what I've heard, but hoping Evans work translates well

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Mind of Shadow, what's your opinion of Jonathan Maberry's run with Shuri as BP? Curious if I should check it out and you seem knowledgeable. Also curious if you've read/ like Evan Narcisse' current Rise of Black Panther series, as he's one of the few writers from IO9 I find to seem genuine and likeable, in regards to his opinion pieces. I'm trade waiting since it's a mini from what I've heard, but hoping Evans work translates well
    Deadliest of the Species was a good story except the amount of carnage to the BP supporting cast was a little much. I don't know why Hudlin/Mayberry decided to murder Mbaku, Wkabi, and Zuri all for a Spider-Man villain unceremoniously. Outside of that, it was a great Shuri story and IMO, a great Storm/BP love story.

Power was... ok? I don't have any strong feelings for it either way. I would have liked to see some of that supporting cast show up again though. I hate that the BP mythos discard supporting members so easily.

Unfortunately, Doom War botched everything so horribly that it leaves a foul odor over everything else Mayberry did.

I really like Rise. It speaks to the inner BP fanboy/nerd in me (I have a BP blog so... http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/) . So many continuity things he has updated and fixed. It is a bit of a dense read as you can tell Evan's is a new comic writer but the same time you can tell he is a BP NERD as well. It at times comes across as a "Black Panther wiki" type of a story, which is part due to his writing and part due to the fact he is doing an update prequel.

But I really like it. I really really like the art too. T'challa feels like the T'challa of old again instead of this... Coates version i dislike... and he has found a niche for Shuri as well. He has been able to weave a bit of a story through the history lesson that is about ot come to ahead so I will be interested to see how that wraps all. All in all, I am happy with it though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Deadliest of the Species was a good story except the amount of carnage to the BP supporting cast was a little much. I don't know why Hudlin/Mayberry decided to murder Mbaku, Wkabi, and Zuri all for a Spider-Man villain unceremoniously. Outside of that, it was a great Shuri story and IMO, a great Storm/BP love story.

Power was... ok? I don't have any strong feelings for it either way. I would have liked to see some of that supporting cast show up again though. I hate that the BP mythos discard supporting members so easily.

Unfortunately, Doom War botched everything so horribly that it leaves a foul odor over everything else Mayberry did.

I really like Rise. It speaks to the inner BP fanboy/nerd in me (I have a BP blog so... http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/) . So many continuity things he has updated and fixed. It is a bit of a dense read as you can tell Evan's is a new comic writer but the same time you can tell he is a BP NERD as well. It at times comes across as a "Black Panther wiki" type of a story, which is part due to his writing and part due to the fact he is doing an update prequel.

But I really like it. I really really like the art too. T'challa feels like the T'challa of old again instead of this... Coates version i dislike... and he has found a niche for Shuri as well. He has been able to weave a bit of a story through the history lesson that is about ot come to ahead so I will be interested to see how that wraps all. All in all, I am happy with it though.
    I'm pretty happy with that recommendation, Narcisse' book is definitely on my future trade purchase list.
    Thank you