Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Eras

Geek for the X-Men TheBlackQueen's Avatar

X-Eras

Favorite era of X-Men comics?

I'm personally a fan of the 90s and early 2000s, but I also do like the more modern comics (i.e. X-Men Red, Phoenix Resurrection).

BANNED

1975-1986

/10

BANNED

2001-2005 .

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

For favorite character bias, I am going with 90's, because my 3 favorite characters were all in their prime & mostly at their best there. Up to 2003 was ok, but some descent started with one of my favorites around that time. Then slowly my other 2 favorites fell off 2006+

Least favorite era for me is the one we've been in since 2004. lol

Deadpool, Wolverine, and Gambit all blew up in the 90s. So that's the era for me.

Astonishing Member

I like 2 eras a lot

the first one -From the beginning of the Byrne/Claremont run, to the resurrection of Jean-the end of Claremont writing New Mutants-the beginning of the crossovers.
    It would be something like 1977 to 1986/87.

the other period I like a lot is from Morrison's New X-Men, to Avengers vs X-Men (although the quality of the books declined a lot already with Schism)
    something like 2001-2012
    my favorite part of that period was before M Day, when we had Morrison New X-Men, X-Force/X-Statix, Tieri's Weapon X, District X, and Extreme X-Men. Whedon's Astonishing also happens before M Day, even if the dates dont match up. I think that is the most different and unique period for x-men books (and that was why Marvel thought House of M had to happen, there were too many mutants, every big city had their own China town style mutant neighbourhood), there was mutant culture. I thought that was great.

After M Day, l liked Carey's X-Men Legacy and Pad's X-Factor most of all. And Gillen's Uncanny. I think Utopia was one of the best x-men locations. The new mutants reboot was also good. I find Remender quite overrated.

I find 90s x-men rather unintersting except for a few things like Hama Wolverine, Pad's X-Factor, the first 30 issues of Gen X, Age of Apocalypse, and I guess Kelly Deadpool if you consider it an x-book.

edit: a very obscure xmen 90s book I like is the 12 issues Maverick run (+ a one shot) from 1997/1998
    Last edited by lurkerforyears; 03-10-2018 at 06:24 PM.

2001-2010. Don't even know if it constitutes an era. Morrison up to Second Coming but before Schism.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackQueen View Post
    Favorite era of X-Men comics?
    The Claremont/Byrne/Paul Smith era. The first X-Men comics I ever read and still my favorites.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

May 1989 - November 2005

July 2010 - Present
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Utopia Era. No era in X-Men history has ever, to me, given off and atmosphere where EVERYONE is important to the story and narrative. Even if my fav group (NXM) weren't as prominent as I would have liked them to be, they weren't total wallpaper and even had missions with the senior X-Men from time-to-time.

1963 to about 2000. I pretty much loved all of X-Men until Morrison not knocking Morrison I loved his JLA, Batman, Animal Man, and All-Star Superman I just disliked his X-Men run.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I like 2 eras a lot

the first one -From the beginning of the Byrne/Claremont run, to the resurrection of Jean-the end of Claremont writing New Mutants-the beginning of the crossovers.
    It would be something like 1977 to 1986/87.

the other period I like a lot is from Morrison's New X-Men, to Avengers vs X-Men (although the quality of the books declined a lot already with Schism)
    something like 2001-2012
    my favorite part of that period was before M Day, when we had Morrison New X-Men, X-Force/X-Statix, Tieri's Weapon X, District X, and Extreme X-Men. Whedon's Astonishing also happens before M Day, even if the dates dont match up. I think that is the most different and unique period for x-men books (and that was why Marvel thought House of M had to happen, there were too many mutants, every big city had their own China town style mutant neighbourhood), there was mutant culture. I thought that was great.

After M Day, l liked Carey's X-Men Legacy and Pad's X-Factor most of all. And Gillen's Uncanny. I think Utopia was one of the best x-men locations. The new mutants reboot was also good. I find Remender quite overrated.

I find 90s x-men rather unintersting except for a few things like Hama Wolverine, Pad's X-Factor, the first 30 issues of Gen X, Age of Apocalypse, and I guess Kelly Deadpool if you consider it an x-book.

edit: a very obscure xmen 90s book I like is the 12 issues Maverick run (+ a one shot) from 1997/1998
    Basically this.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Utopia era is certainly one of my favorites, it's like the whole franchise was set in one direction, now it feels messy and aimless

Fantastic Member

first Claremont era - essentially from DPS straight through to probably a little after Fall of the Mutants.

1986-1991 Mutant Massacre to Muir Island Saga
    1997-1999 Seagle/Kelly era
    2001-2004 Morrison/X-Treme X-Men era
    2007-2013 Messiah Complex to whatever it was before Battle of the Atom ruined it for me