Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Female Characters Do You Think Marvel Can Push Successfully?

Since there are some people who feel that Marvel isn't giving enough push to other female characters, give valid reasons as to why Marvel can push <insert character> successfully. Do not use this as an opportunity to bash other characters or pit one against the other. If you think your character is that good, then they should be able to stand on their own merits and not because you think some other character is worse.

And please give a reason other than "Suprema is my favorite character of all time!"

I think who has the best chance is Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I think who has the best chance is Ms Marvel.
    Ms. Marvel does hit a lot of key demographics. She's got a good visual powerset. She's also in the awkward teen phase.

Immediate names are Ms. Marvel and Jane-Thor. Jane has been very popular from the get-go. Outselling regular thor and being in an fantastic story. She's way too popular to kill off, but she still has cancer, so I don't know what aaron is going to do with her.

Ms. Marvel was the perfect storm, the right character, the right time, the right place, and the right price. (I maintain the position that part of her initial success was that they kept the price of her book at $3 for a year.) Ever since then they have been trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle, with moderate successes, like Spider-Gwen, X-23 as wolverine, but it's not quite the same.

Amazing Member

Marvel should have waited until now to push Gamora as a solo series. With the movie just coming out last month & All-New just starting up it would have been perfect.

I think the most important thing Marvel has to focus on right now is pushing female characters that are original. It's really quite condescending to women & minority groups to give them characters that were originally established & made into successful brands by white males (Tony Stark, Clint Barton, etc.). It hurts sales, IMHO.

Marvel wants to blame it on a lack of desire for adversity, but that's just not true. We just want original characters. Mockingbird, Gamora, Ms. Marvel & many more have tons of potential if they're pushed properly with A-list creative teams.
    MARVEL - All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men Gold, Thanos, Hawkeye (trade)
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

I was gonna say Ms Marvel for all the reasons people put here.

I'll also add Scarlet Witch. She's already been introduced into the MCU, she's an interesting character with a cool power set and she's already been the focus of the last two films she was in. I dunno if she'll ever get a solo film but I can easily see her being one of the most important characters in the Infinity War films.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Songbird
    +nice origin, personality and distinctive look
    +non-legacy character
    +is part of a team but was able to get out of it to interact with other characters
    +has ties with dozens of C and D-List villains that are currently unused and can be folded into her supporting cast or rogues gallery
    +well received in the cartoons and games she appeared
    +DC is having success pushing female villains/former villains (Harley, Killer Frost) so the public is there

Elsa Bloodstone
    +nice design and personality post NextWave
    +is a legacy character but doesn't use it as a crutch like most of the modern legacies
    +can fit into the magic/horror/supernatural niche
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Marvel should have waited until now to push Gamora as a solo series. With the movie just coming out last month & All-New just starting up it would have been perfect.

I think the most important thing Marvel has to focus on right now is pushing female characters that are original. It's really quite condescending to women & minority groups to give them characters that were originally established & made into successful brands by white males (Tony Stark, Clint Barton, etc.). It hurts sales, IMHO.

Marvel wants to blame it on a lack of desire for adversity, but that's just not true. We just want original characters. Mockingbird, Gamora, Ms. Marvel & many more have tons of potential if they're pushed properly with A-list creative teams.
    You think Marvel could have a successful Gamora solo? I'm not too sure about that. She's got a great background story no doubt but has Marvel do enough with her to have a solo? There are very few Gamora-centric stories that Marvel has done. They'd have to focus a lot more on her in the Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Songbird
    +nice origin, personality and distinctive look
    +non-legacy character
    +is part of a team but was able to get out of it to interact with other characters
    +has ties with dozens of C and D-List villains that are currently unused and can be folded into her supporting cast or rogues gallery
    +well received in the cartoons and games she appeared
    +DC is having success pushing female villains/former villains (Harley, Killer Frost) so the public is there

Elsa Bloodstone
    +nice design and personality post NextWave
    +is a legacy character but doesn't use it as a crutch like most of the modern legacies
    +can fit into the magic/horror/supernatural niche
    I really think Marvel missed a big opportunity to put her on an Avengers team like Kurt Busiek alluded to in Avengers Forever. Her background and time spent with the Thunderbolts leads to lots of interesting storylines. Lots of potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I really think Marvel missed a big opportunity to put her on an Avengers team like Kurt Busiek alluded to in Avengers Forever. Her background and time spent with the Thunderbolts leads to lots of interesting storylines. Lots of potential there.
    Out of all things, Avengers Assemble showed she can pull her weight in a main Avengers roster, but for some reason every time Melissa gets a minor push it is aborted due to a status quo change and she is thrown back into Thunderbolts or limbo.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Amora the Enchantress

Not necessarily 100% evil like other characters but depends the writer
    She´s has a complexity and no one yet has explained her story since her first appearance on the 60s, what means that there are a blank space to begin.
    She´s powerful and a goddess
    She has charisma and a magnetic personality even for being a villainess
    She isn´t a rip off of other characters, she´s original
    She has ties with other characters like Thor, Loki, Lorelei, Skurge the Executioner, Masters of Evil, the Original Defenders, The Avengers, Sylvie Lushton and the Valkyrie
    Her costume (her characteristic tiara, her love for the green and her totally iconic leggins) and style are amazing
    A lot of people not only me knows her because of A:EMH cartoon and really likes her
    She appears in a lot of games

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm more surprised that the MCU has dragged their feet with making a Black Widow solo movie. Audiences like the character, Scarlet Johansson is currently one of the most bankable actresses. It's literally money just sitting there.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Invisible Woman
    Captain Marvel
    Songbird
    Monica Rambeau
    Emma Frost
    Rogue
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Amora the Enchantress

Not necessarily 100% evil like other characters but depends the writer
    She´s has a complexity and no one yet has explained her story since her first appearance on the 60s, what means that there are a blank space to begin.
    She´s powerful and a goddess
    She has charisma and a magnetic personality even for being a villainess
    She isn´t a rip off of other characters, she´s original
    She has ties with other characters like Thor, Loki, Lorelei, Skurge the Executioner, Masters of Evil, the Original Defenders, The Avengers, Sylvie Lushton and the Valkyrie
    Her costume (her characteristic tiara, her love for the green and her totally iconic leggins) and style are amazing
    A lot of people not only me knows her because of A:EMH cartoon and really likes her
    She appears in a lot of games
    I think Marvel could expand their magic/supernatural line with Enchantress and Scarlet Witch. Involving them with the Dr Strange title(add Jericho Drum in there too) would go along way to building a magic universe.

I don't think any solos would result immediately but it keeps them relevant.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You think Marvel could have a successful Gamora solo? I'm not too sure about that. She's got a great background story no doubt but has Marvel do enough with her to have a solo? There are very few Gamora-centric stories that Marvel has done. They'd have to focus a lot more on her in the Guardians.
    What would be the point to focus on Gamora more in GOTG and then have a counter argument about her working ONLY in a team setting?