View Poll Results: Did you find T'Challa a compelling character in the movie 'Black Panther'?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

107 79.26%
  • No

28 20.74%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I do think T'challa's character suffered a bit because they transferred some of his comic traits to other characters

Like Killmonger's whole story wouldn't work if it had been T'chaka and T'Challa that wanted to bring Wakanda to the world or Shuri wouldn't have been liked as much if T'challa was the science head.
    We need better comics

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Of course he was. If anything as far as compelling characters go I suppose this movie was an embarrassment of riches.
    I can agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I do think T'challa's character suffered a bit because they transferred some of his comic traits to other characters

Like Killmonger's whole story wouldn't work if it had been T'chaka and T'Challa that wanted to bring Wakanda to the world or Shuri wouldn't have been liked as much if T'challa was the science head.
    Yes.

T'Challa is still a genius, but unlike In The comics, it would be hard to have him shown running around protecting Wakanda as BP and king ruling and heading scientific advances so he let's Shuri run it, but its clear T'Challa is a genius too. He holds multiple titles whereas that is Shuris only title. Like I Love T'Challas debut in CW, I will also admit Though that he was very much a spotlight stealer, he was basically just in revenge mode and that's all he cared about until the end when he stopped letting rage consume him and let go, in contrast to Tony and Cap. In his movie wr actually start seeing his levels. Which is what I found to be more compelling seeing him showing more then just one emotion for the entire movie, and it highlights just how great he is by how he handled all the shake up in his life within a 10 day period, and kept showcasing why he is the BP and king due to leadership, wisdom, compassion, and being able to see past himself

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This. Or rather, the guy's quote he shared from the appreciation thread. He's spot on.

It's a little odd in a Marvel movie to see the supporting cast and villain actually get screen time and development. BP did both of those things with skill and grace, but I'm not surprised people saw that and decided that T'Challa wasn't driving the film on his own. But that's a long-standing flaw in the MCU throwing a distortion on BP; its not BP that is flawed by letting these other characters matter to the narrative, its the MCU that is flawed for not doing it in more/most of their films.

T'Challa was the center of this story and everything moved around him and his choices. He was a badass in every fight scene (even the one where he got his ass kicked) and he was the very definition of grace, authority, and confidence. We couldn't ask for better treatment.

Wakanda forever.
    Absolutely this post. No lies detected.

This. Or rather, the guy's quote he shared from the appreciation thread. He's spot on.

It's a little odd in a Marvel movie to see the supporting cast and villain actually get screen time and development. BP did both of those things with skill and grace, but I'm not surprised people saw that and decided that T'Challa wasn't driving the film on his own. But that's a long-standing flaw in the MCU throwing a distortion on BP; its not BP that is flawed by letting these other characters matter to the narrative, its the MCU that is flawed for not doing it in more/most of their films.

T'Challa was the center of this story and everything moved around him and his choices. He was a badass in every fight scene (even the one where he got his ass kicked) and he was the very definition of grace, authority, and confidence. We couldn't ask for better treatment.

Wakanda forever.
    Damn, you nailed it perfectly. It's a shame your explanation will go over many heads and won't be enough to breakthrough to people that are deliberately biased against T'challa.

Wakanda forever.
    Agree with you in everything. I am going to expand grace a bit. He showed kindness to Killmonger in the end. And during that fight where he was beaten, he had a few chances to make lethal strikes. The time when he cut Killmonger's face could easily have been a killing blow. He wanted him to surrender. Just as he did with M'Baku in the beginning.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    To be honest... no. His sister was way more interesting.
    And there is NOTHING wrong with that.

And don't think it wasn't done for a reason. You can build around her and since she was Panther once-there is no reason she couldn't be-while he's doing other thinks outside the kingdom.

You got enough material to spinoff stuff like we saw with Star Trek. Nakia could be your key for Black Widow to have a movie. Both are spies.

Wakanda is expanding it's "gifts"-whose to say we can't see a Wakanda school with easter egg cameos of Khan, Cho, Patriot, America, Rage, Jubliee and so on.

A Wakanda rocket ship with a certain FOURSOME gets hits with gamma rays and hello Fantastic Four.

Lightbulb T'Challa is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes.

T'Challa is still a genius, but unlike In The comics, it would be hard to have him shown running around protecting Wakanda as BP and king ruling and heading scientific advances so he let's Shuri run it, but its clear T'Challa is a genius too. He holds multiple titles whereas that is Shuris only title. Like I Love T'Challas debut in CW, I will also admit Though that he was very much a spotlight stealer, he was basically just in revenge mode and that's all he cared about until the end when he stopped letting rage consume him and let go, in contrast to Tony and Cap. In his movie wr actually start seeing his levels. Which is what I found to be more compelling seeing him showing more then just one emotion for the entire movie, and it highlights just how great he is by how he handled all the shake up in his life within a 10 day period, and kept showcasing why he is the BP and king due to leadership, wisdom, compassion, and being able to see past himself

Wakanda forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Of course he was. If anything as far as compelling characters go I suppose this movie was an embarrassment of riches.
    What these people said!
    Personally, there was no character in the movie I was more interested in than T'Challa so that pretty much answers this threads OP.

I think a minority of comic fans just have bad taste and are so used to badly written side characters that when an actual GOOD movie is presented, they think other characters getting compelling development is stealing shine from the main character.

The whole film, T'Challa included, was elevated by having strong supporting characters.

Chadwick Boseman's acting is so good I'm surprised every time I see him out of character!
    I'm like, oh yeah, He's not actually the King of a hidden African Nation.
    This is not Robert Downey jr. playing a hyped up version of himself.
    Chadwick is a master of his craft that makes playing T'Challa seem natural.

Props to Ryan Coogler for and J. Cole for writing, and Ryan for directing Marvel's best film!

Excelsior!

Daoud

Yes, and let me join in with the agreement of "Ascended's" comment.

I can see why some fans may feel that "T'Challa" was short-changed a bit in the movie (and thus if the question of the poll had been Did you find T'Challa to be THE MOST compelling character in the movie 'Black Panther'? I'd probably have to answer otherwise), but I can't go as far as to say he wasn't good or compelling at all, as I've seen some say.

I've said myself elsewhere that the movie probably could have been called WAKANDA rather than just Black Panther. But, y'know what, that's fine for me. Wakanda, even more so that most superhero "places of origin", including Krypton and Asgard (but possibly not Themyscira) is so essential to what makes The Black Panther special. This is what I wanted to see in this movie, and I think why it's resonated with so many, it's not just that there's a bad-ass Black superhero, but that he's from a Black nation full of bad asses, with a Black supporting cast, including a Black love interest. This is why it meant more and did better than Blade, or Spawn, or Hancock. So I'm glad that not just T'Challa, but his family, his friends, and even his rivals, were all well-rounded characters. And, yeah, I think that's something we're not used to in superhero movies, but I think it's a good trend.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A Wakanda rocket ship with a certain FOURSOME gets hits with gamma rays and hello Fantastic Four.
    Holy Moley! Wouldn't THAT be an incredible tie-in! In real life, Black Panther got his start by appearing as a guest-character in the Fantastic Four comic, so what a nice twist if the new MCU version of the FF could debut in the next Black Panther film...

First, thanks to all for the kind words of agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    Chadwick Boseman's acting is so good I'm surprised every time I see him out of character!
    I'm like, oh yeah, He's not actually the King of a hidden African Nation.
    Dude, there's this clip from Jimmy Fallon where he has random people "recording" a message for Boseman after BP came out in theaters, and halfway through them saying whatever they're saying, Boseman himself walks out from behind a curtain. It was heart touching to see these people pouring their souls out about how much that movie meant to them, and then freaking out when the man himself appears. And Boseman, he handled that like a champ, no signs of ego or anything, he just took the praise like...well, a king.

And then there's this one dude. Boseman walks out, and dude trips over himself babbling, bowing and doing the Wankandan salute and calling Boseman his King. It made me laugh, like bro, that guy is an actor, not a king. I love the movie too but you don't need to bow to him.

But I know deep down that if I happened across Boseman on the street, I'd probably do the same thing. I mean, at the least you gotta throw him the salute and a "Wakanda forever!" right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Damn, you nailed it perfectly. It's a shame your explanation will go over many heads and won't be enough to breakthrough to people that are deliberately biased against T'challa.
    Eh, hater's gonna hate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, the poll has spoken.

Can we end the thread now?

First, thanks to all for the kind words of agreement.

Dude, there's this clip from Jimmy Fallon where he has random people "recording" a message for Boseman after BP came out in theaters, and halfway through them saying whatever they're saying, Boseman himself walks out from behind a curtain. It was heart touching to see these people pouring their souls out about how much that movie meant to them, and then freaking out when the man himself appears. And Boseman, he handled that like a champ, no signs of ego or anything, he just took the praise like...well, a king.

And then there's this one dude. Boseman walks out, and dude trips over himself babbling, bowing and doing the Wankandan salute and calling Boseman his King. It made me laugh, like bro, that guy is an actor, not a king. I love the movie too but you don't need to bow to him.

But I know deep down that if I happened across Boseman on the street, I'd probably do the same thing. I mean, at the least you gotta throw him the salute and a "Wakanda forever!" right?
    That was awesome, I would probably do the same thing if saw him. The best ones were the boys reaction and then the last one. It makes it even more special that for the last one he even says "Wakanda forever" in the king's voice.

Boseman is one of those people who is just humble and probably just a delight.

It's sad, but it also shows how good of a guy is but there is an interview where he is talking about the boy he surprised in the hospital, and you can tell he isn't a celebrity full of himself, And he actually cares about his fans

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    That was awesome, I would probably do the same thing if saw him. The best ones were the boys reaction and then the last one. It makes it even more special that for the last one he even says "Wakanda forever" in the king's voice.

Boseman is one of those people who is just humble and probably just a delight.

It's sad, but it also shows how good of a guy is but there is an interview where he is talking about the boy he surprised in the hospital, and you can tell he isn't a celebrity full of himself, And he actually cares about his fans
    Yeah. I saw that and thought it was incredible. Going to visit kids and everything. That's class. I don't know what I would do if I meet RDJ.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark