Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Someone needs to blow some of her seance money at the salon. I’m just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

When I was kid I used tracing paper to lift images from different X-Men covers and then layered them onto a cardboard comic book backing...into a collage...after awhile I stopped tracing from the covers and started doing something like this between the blue lines on notebook paper in words...

I did that...I forgot about that...

Tracing paper

I don't suppose I'd use that on a screen...no, I don't think I would...not even the kid in me...but that doesn't mean I don't in a way...no scissors no paste and yet...that crumple sound of 'empty' the trash...that's an icon and a command that sounds like...hmmm?

I did waste a lot of paper (how could anybody be so critical of something incomparable to anything?)

Cover Art...hmmm, there's nothing really important in there...it's an icon signifying depth and capacity...

Maybe it matters more now! Solicitations for July!!!??? And we talk about the future so early...
    From images and forecasts from the decks of precast possibility way ahead of what sails these skies of night and dawn

the artists share their sketches...like so dreams...with hopes and feelings all their own
    *"A look in Adam Gorham's Dead Souls sketchbook"
    3879ade1618058dc5953a683300b6b04.jpg

and those sketches are often times so much more 'special' than the final 'product'
    626589._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 05-07-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Indeed those Classic NM Sienkiewicz covers deserve an appreciation of their own. Even the corner boxes were masterpieces....
    Indeed! Corner boxes are art on their own.

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com.es/2...ner-boxes.html

More of my faves:

Imaginative and unsettling.

Classic and powerful.

Beautiful (and quite ambiguous).

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    One of the benefits of CLASSIC X-MEN/X-MEN CLASSICS is that since it was a reprint series, and the spoilers of the stories usually known as part of history, the artists were allowed to find different angles to tell the story contained in the issue rather than play it straight as cover artists for the original tales would have been bound to...

Yeah, and I like Steve Lightle a lot more as cover artist than as storyteller.

Also, I love Bolton's work in CXM. His covers for the new stories were delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    the artists share their sketches...like so dreams...with hopes and feelings all their own
    *"A look in Adam Gorham's Dead Souls sketchbook"
    3879ade1618058dc5953a683300b6b04.jpg

and those sketches are often times so much more 'special' than the final 'product'
    626589._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Yep. Too bad.

Two of my top covers were already posted. Ricochet Rita posted New Mutants Annual #2 which was the first X-Book I ever bought and Betsy and Doug were my gateway drug into the X-Books. Tazirai has my sentiments on UXM Annual #11 as well.

New Mutants #63:

Uncanny X-Men #257:

Uncanny X-Men 269:

I always loved that New Mutants cover (the Josh Middleton covers would be a close second for the New Mutants).

I wanted to put Silvestri's UXM #236 cover of the Genoshians and their catch (seriously, a lot of Marc's covers made me want to rip into the book to find out what's happening), but I have these two Jim Lee covers that I am a little more nostalgic about as I have made homages of them in the past (click on the covers for my homages). Originally, I was going to also put Alan Davis's cover to UXM #213 as I always remembered that awesome shot of Psylocke using Cerebro, but when I looked it up I was actually thing of the first page of the issue as the cover had Wolverine vs Sabretooth (still a good cover).

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaxra View Post
    Originally, I was going to also put Alan Davis's cover to UXM #213 as I always remembered that awesome shot of Psylocke using Cerebro, but when I looked it up I was actually thing of the first page of the issue as the cover had Wolverine vs Sabretooth (still a good cover).
    LOL, just the same thing happened to me! That splash page is so awesome that in my mind it was a cover!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    LOL, just the same thing happened to me! That splash page is so awesome that in my mind it was a cover!
    Sounds like another thread is called for... BEST SPLASH PAGE IMAGES!

But for now, more great covers:

Spot the theme with these!

and finally the cover of #184 has a special place in my heart as the first issue I ever bought off the newsstand. The image of Prof X in such an active role caught my eye.

Beautiful (and quite ambiguous).[/QUOTE]

And there it is! The homage to and future cover of the never to be published collected b-sides and outtakes of love through the veils, in those smokey beyond backstreets where old friends meet in the dimly lit intimacy of anything and everything goes. Oh this cover! This beautiful dare! That Danger Room duel! Unforgettable!

a passionate affair
    X-Termination_Vol_1_1.jpg
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

BANNED

Beautiful (and quite ambiguous).
    Was Nightcrawler trying to seduce Wolverine?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Was Nightcrawler trying to seduce Wolverine?
    Well... Um... I just think the artist summarized quite implicitly in this picture all of the inklings (I'm not telling they're justified or not) that many readers had about the exact nature of their relationship. A bit of a fan-service, actually.

Well... Um... I just think the artist summarized quite implicitly in this picture all of the inklings (I'm not telling they're justified or not) that many readers had about the exact nature of their relationship. A bit of a fan-service, actually.
    I find it funny that’s the intent for a few reasons first Wolverine’s eyes are clearly looking up, Nightcrawler’s costume has always showed his leg definition (which is why until the artist said it I never thought Kurt was nude in this) and finally Wolverine has a total WTF Kurt face on nothing close to the artist supposed intent.

Often times the cover of an X-Men comic is where I begin and end with the issue itself. These two covers are examples of possible stories that seem to suggest otherwise and more than the actual whatever was inside that I can't remember now that were told. These unforgettable never happenings that are these covers like places familiar that have never been.

Attachment 66042
    by Jorge Molina

The Brig. Hmmm, the X-Men have a brig. 'For her own good' , 'Willingly' - that stuff, 'they' say
    This is another cover that has yet to tell the whole story. Magik herself is sort of a 'cover' for a story that defies being told. An enigma that intrigues so many to consider...but has anyone actually managed to tell a meaningful story involving Illyana beyond her teenage years that develops her character and credits her increasingly closed front from being anything more than callous or 'cool'?

Attachment 66044
    by Joshua Middleton

Karma. Her power is possession...I wish somebody would write an awesome Xi'an Coy Manh story that might look something like this and involve her emerging from all those seemingly insurmountable traumas and demons that keep collapsing her foundation from underneath her.

For a long time the X-Men comics have relied on a depleting resource of actual story to draw soul, spirit and meaning from in order to justify their current status and posture. Increasingly shallow and short lived. Higher prices at the pump etc...but yes, the exteriors look amazing! And the new formats (movies, digital subscriptions...) but the same ol' fever pitch that all things gone over to the commercial consumer market become creates the same problem of decorative desolation and sprawling decay.

Okay, and now:
    These expressions are numb, there's versions of versions of versions of the same persons standing there, standing in, standing around, and I'm a fan of Noto's art...it's as if Noto is actually coming right out and saying...the obvious...this doesn't feel like anything at all.
    XMENGOLD30_NOTO_CVR.jpg

What's all this even taste like, smell like, feel like...I just see it...as if that's all it's meant to do...be seen (snap selfie) say by showing that you've been there or anywhere at all.
    Last edited by sungila; 05-18-2018 at 12:54 PM.