View Poll Results: Which of these most recent phases is your favorite?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOW!: 2012-15

66 62.26%
  • All-New, All-Different: 2015-17

4 3.77%
  • ResurrXion: 2017-present

36 33.96%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    NOW! was an era of interesting premises that never reached their full potential or overstayed their welcome. Some interesting ideas here and there, some good stories in the satellite books but ultimately it all felt frustrating as the big promises were never delivered.

ANAD was utterly abysmal. Extraordinary remains the most pedestrian excuse for a flagship I've ever read. Just the flattest, blandest, most boring, most mediocre stuff. I could not believe it. The book I was most invested in during that period was Bunn's Uncanny and even that was nothing to write home about. It felt like a series of acceptable B plots for an ancillary X-Book. Just okay. All-New was entirely unecessarry. Everything was gloomy yet there was barely any depth. This was the worst era. The worst!

ResurrXion is marginally better than ANAD. The flagship is terrible, like a trainwreck I can't quite look away from (which is preferable to bland Extraordinary imho), Blue's quality varies wildly from issue to issue, etc etc... but the overall direction is a bit better. No stupid forced interactions with the Inhumans or pointlessly dour storylines. Still the franchise could be so much better...
    The MARVEL NOW! era was definitely better than the last two we've seen. Bendis started out pretty strong but as you said, his stories didn't seem to have an endgame. I didn't read anything out of ANAD, because I was expecting all new, all different and just a bunch of corporate synergy nonsense pretending to be a comic book. To be honest, they had potential to explore some interesting stories using the conflict with the Inhumans and the fallout of the 6-month gap, but they just spun their wheels for months only using the simplist of ideas for stories. I agree ResurrXion is better than ANAD, but not notably so. Still have a lot of lingering tropes and uninteresting stories being told by uninspired writers. Bunn is probably the best ongoing writer, but the cast(s) he's using is repelent (the O5 shouldn't have stayed past the NOW! era). Marvel should have had him writing a main title (I know he had Magneto in NOW!) during NOW! or ANAD, not trying to work with the aftermath.

The only X-Men books I'm currently reading are Red and R&G; one of them is done and the other is just barely keeping my attention (who thought it was ok to use 9-characters, two of them being Wolverine off-shoots?). Giving Domino a try but I'm dont see much else. Astonishing looks interesting, but I'm not jumping onboard until I hear more about the premise. Super disappointed in Legion, Gold is a characterization-mess and Blue... the O5 are (were?) there, hard pass. Not to mention two more Wolverine off-shoot characters?!
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-07-2018 at 06:03 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    2012-2015 tbh... At that time, the books felt like they had a direction. They were all somewhat connected. When you read UXM and ANXM, it felt like pieces of the same puzzle. I miss that connectivity. And, even though Bendis fucked up at the ending and things went nowhere, his ideas were exciting at first.

Ressurxion brought us Jean back though... But I keep thinking about how much better and more impactful that return would have been had it happened during Bendis era.
    Jean's return probably would've been most impactful during either AvX or IvX (both events that ended a particularly dour status quo).

BANNED

Man, 3 awful eras on the whole. Some good side books but the Flagship in each is seriously in the running for worst ever.

I went with ResurrXion since it was the least damaging to the mythos and had some great side content. Schism was really so much better than any of them though it’s not even funny. Same for Manifest Destiny/Utopia.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I voted for NOW! because of boob-window Illyana.

But in all seriousness, there's no way I'd vote for IvX era. Logan was dead so you replace him with 4 Wolverines?, Cyclops got put down like a dog. Avengers were still hoarding Rogue. Poor leadership from Storm of all people. No more boob-window. O5 still around. Sina F*cking Grace.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    ... I think the early days of the NOW! era were very strong, but they somewhat faltered after a while. ResurrXion had moments like that too, but for the most part, I think it remained more consistent.
    Agreed, NOW!'s Bendis books seemed to smoulder, but never quite catch fire. ResurrXion has been able to hold my interest longer, and maintain enthusiasm better. Blue's 'Cry Havok' arc, Red, the prospects of Rosenberg's Astonishing & Dani Moonstar in his New Mutants: Dead Souls, Domino, these are the things that give this most recent Mutant age, the edge in my eyes.

Amazing Member

The covers on Bendis's UXM run was amazing!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Now! The other stuff is garbage. I actually enjoyed Bendis' All New X-Men. What I didn't like was that they didn't send the young 05 back to their own time right at the end of that series and brought back the adults that were dead. That would have made a perfect ending to that series.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

ResurrXion all the way. I hated all the crossover, extinction and Inhuman weirdness. It's ResurrXion, which brought me back to the X-Men.

NOW! gave me XL: Legion. I can forgive it anything.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Incredible Member

None...

ReGenesis was the best recent reboot. At least we had Gillen and Remender.
    All New All Different Was Only good because of Bunn.

NOW! was only worthy because of the uniforms revamp and the X-Women book which had a few interesting issues.

Ressurection is not growing on me. It had everything to move forward, I guess I just don’t click with the original 5 and jeans return was so forced and rushed and disconnected that it feels like Red is an alternate univese book

Reload was amazing because of whedon and because of the return of the classic vibe for the teams and uniforms.

Revolution was pure crap

Incredible Member

All New All different - because of Bunn. Period

NOW! Was only good because of the revamping of the team uniforms and the X-woman tittle

Ressurection is awful so far. It had to everything streamline the X-franchise but I guess we won’t move forward until the X-office gets rid of the original five. Also jean’s return was so forced, rushed and desconnected that X-men Red feels like an alternate reality book

In my opinion the best recent reboot was Regenesis. We had Utopia, Kieron Gillen and Remender and the line ups were amazing

Reload was also amazing and sucessful returned the books to its classic vibes, the uniforms revamping was perfect and Whedon and PAD rocked in their runs

Revolution on the other hand was a pile of crap

( I love how most od the x-reboots has the Re prefix on their namings: Revolution, Reload, Regenesis an Ressurection. If only they allowed fans take part in the upcoming revamp... X-Men Redux, by the fans, for the fans
    Last edited by crimsontt; 05-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    NOW! was only worthy because of the uniforms revamp and the X-Women book which had a few interesting issues.
    I nearly voted NOW! for the X-women book alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

2014-2015 was one of my favorite eras of Marvel but the X-Books were not great and they did not improve.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 05-09-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Marry, Screw, Kill. Lets play!

Marry: ResurrXion - While the flagship is generic, it does try to bring classic X-Men elements and themes back. Also is pretty easy to ignore that the bOre5 are still here. The spin off titles Iceman, Generation X, New Mutants, Domino, etc have all been enjoyable. This isn't as exciting as one would hope, but its stable.

Screw: Now! - Where do I begin? The bOre5 coming to the present is a great mini series. But SIX YEARS later they are still here. I would argue that their being brought to the present is one of the single worst things that have happened to franchise. It killed the direction, continuity, and much more. Bendis isn't a bad writer so its readable and gets support from Wolverine and the X-Men, Astonishing, X-Men (ladies), Amazing, WolverineS, and the X-Force series.

Kill: All-New, All-Different - Oh boy. Lets start with a positive I loved using Extraordinary as the adjective; especially spelled correctly. The line up on that specific title was actually great and I was excited to have Storm back in charge. This era could be completely forgotten if you just read Death of X, Civil War 2, and Inhumans v X-Men. Seriously. Nothing noteworthy happens, the bOre5 are still around and doing even less interesting things than before. And there was next or basically any noteworthy spin offs during this time.

*I'd like to footnote that I would have love the Inhumans and X-Men riviarly if they actually had grounded it and based as one minority group struggling with another. But instead it was childish generic superhero storytelling that was written with no depth.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 05-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Marvel Now!, easily. Bendis gets alot of shit but I don't think his run was that bad. It was far more interesting, to me, than anything since. I would imagine it reads pretty great in trade.