View Poll Results: As a BP fan, your take on the romance with Storm is:

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destiny! I always wanted her for him exactly like this for T'Challa!

9 10.84%
  • Love her for him in general, maybe not exactly like this

15 18.07%
  • Like her for him, kinda like WonderBat or SuperWonder

4 4.82%
  • Don't really care who T'Challa is canoodling with

16 19.28%
  • Dislike her for him, too much like WonderBat or SuperWonder

13 15.66%
  • Hate her for him, T'Challa belongs with someone else (specify)

22 26.51%
  • Blasphemy! I never wanted her for him, under any conditions

4 4.82%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I think think what is in Bold is what is my problem with Black Panther's previous writers and that they make it hat T'Challa rarely relies on others and use his abilities to get out of the most unusual situations. I mean just look at Prist entire run on the character and tell me when he didn't need help from the other heroes around him ?

There were rare moments in Priest and Hudlin that showed his emotional side, but that was often few and between as its overshadow by his need to outwit everyone around him and barely asking for help of others.

Only when those writers were off Black Panther did they allow T'challa to rebuild his relationship with the rest of the Marvel U.
    Hello and thank you! This is why I didn't mind Coates' approach with his storytelling. Thank you for laying it out the way that you did as this is what point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I hope you won't be disappointed.
    I hope so too my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    That's not really a fair comparison.

Jessica Jones could fit in any title Luke Cage could be featured in and vise versa. So if the writer really wanted Jessica in that book she could have been. Just due to powersets, character backgrounds, and so on. The same can't be said with Black Panther and Storm.

Your right characters who are married do not have to be around each other 24/7 but if the time ever came that they needed/wanted them there they should be able to fit naturally without disrupting the tone or atmosphere of the story.

Fans of Storm and T'Challa as a couple can say whatever they will or make any type of excuse that they like. But we all know that T'Challa still has never felt as if he could just slide right in to a X-Men story. It's been about 12-14 years since the two really started circling each others orbit and T'Challa has never once really shown any concern for pushing the X-Men's agenda or even just mutants in general. Not only that but could T'Challa accept following the likes of Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Gambit, Cyclops, or even Wolverine into battle on the regular? Would his fans be ok with it?

Point is... something that may work with one set of characters doesn't mean that it will work with another. T'Challa and Storm are a shinning light to that.
    Reed Richards and Sue Storm are no where near the same power levels and they work fine just together. Nor was Cyclops and Jean. If it can work for these other characters it can work for Ororo and T'challa.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    nope I didnt care for how hudlin characterized storm. he meant well but it was poorly executed. coates and mcduffie were by far the best writers of these two together. and ororo will never be gone from the Black Panther mythos. She is literally one of the Wakandan gods now.
    Untill the x office actually gives Storm to the BP mythos, then again, she is not a part of the franchise.

Reed Richards and Sue Storm are no where near the same power levels and they work fine just together. Nor was Cyclops and Jean. If it can work for these other characters it can work for Ororo and T'challa.
    T'Challa and Storm side by side fighting a huge galactic empire. Just sayin....

but you are not acknowledging the point about world building. if tchalla was defeating everyone and beating every threat that faced wakanda what would be the point of any of the other characters? the dora, shuri, or the hatut zeraze for instance?

so I take it you think tchalla could have defeated adversary on his own too then? I think it's important if you want to care about the characters around tchalla that they are explored beyond the perspective of tchalla simply saving their lives countless times. that doesnt make you care about them. writing them (and tchalla) in complex, human and flawed ways is what makes you connect with a character.
    Except literally every Solo pre coates showed T'Challa how Tchalla handles business without short changing the supporting cast. If a writer had to make the protagonist worthless in their own book to make people care about the supporting cast, then they are doing something terribly wrong. Redjacks Panther quest is showing just how well Characters can be developed without chumping the lead

Hello and thank you! This is why I didn't mind Coates' approach with his storytelling. Thank you for laying it out the way that you did as this is what point I was trying to make.

I hope so too my friend.

Reed and Sue along with Jean and Scott all started in the same place with the same motivations. My comment about power levels was more of an additive as to why they could get away with much more then Storm and T'Challa.

Until Marvel makes more of an effort to "equalize" them in terms of story development the two will never work long term.

Even Chris Clarmont had his own qualms about the Marriage and to some degree his points are becoming more and more clear the longer they have been together:
    Well, the problem I have with it is, who gets top billing?

Because that’s the function of a king’s wife is to produce little princes and pricessees, right? The first thing that Charles and Diana did was have a child.

Their job was to have babies and be guarded and I think the challenge with any marriage relationship in comics—but especially a marriage of leading characters in comics—is answering the question: “What comes next?” Does Ororo become a supporting character in T’Challa’s book? Does T’Challa become a supporting character in Ororo’s book? How do you strike a balance between them? What do you do five years down the line? Because the practical reality is that the audience gets older, the creator gets older, but the characters can’t get older and the moment you bring a child into it, that automatically marks time.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/chris-clarem...orm-1822598048
    In T'Challa's own title we have been seeing Storm take center stage while T'Challa is left to meander.

There are much better options of characters for both Storm and T'Challa to have a relationship that could work instead, for Marvel to continue to force BP and Storm.

But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 10-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I think think what is in Bold is what is my problem with Black Panther's previous writers and that they make it hat T'Challa rarely relies on others and use his abilities to get out of the most unusual situations. I mean just look at Prist entire run on the character and tell me when he didn't need help from the other heroes around him ?

There were rare moments in Priest and Hudlin that showed his emotional side, but that was often few and between as its overshadow by his need to outwit everyone around him and barely asking for help of others.

Only when those writers were off Black Panther did they allow T'challa to rebuild his relationship with the rest of the Marvel U.
    What are you talking about? First off it's black panther, not Black Panther and the MU, second. Priest had T'Challa team up with:
    Ironman
    Cap
    The Avengers
    Storm
    Logan
    And iron fist.

Hudlin had the most team ups
    X men
    Cap
    Luke was a reoccurring guest
    Shang chi
    Blade
    Voodoo
    FF

Like how often do you think Solo heroes are getting help?

Wasn't a fan of the marriage but love both characters individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Untill the x office actually gives Storm to the BP mythos, then again, she is not a part of the franchise.
    they did, that's how she is able to appear in the books at all. Xoffices had to have allow Coates to use the charcacter for it to occur.

T'Challa and Storm side by side fighting a huge galactic empire. Just sayin....
    I would totally ship for this!!! Take my money Marvel!!! I do think we will get it at the end of this season with Storm somehow using her goddess power to transport to Tchalla's aid!!! LOL at least I hope so.

Except literally every Solo pre coates showed T'Challa how Tchalla handles business without short changing the supporting cast. If a writer had to make the protagonist worthless in their own book to make people care about the supporting cast, then they are doing something terribly wrong. Redjacks Panther quest is showing just how well Characters can be developed without chumping the lead
    What supporting cast were represented in Hudlin's BP and Priest's BP? What world building occurred in those books?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Reed and Sue along with Jean and Scott all started in the same place with the same motivations. My comment about power levels was more of an additive as to why they could get away with much more then Storm and T'Challa.

Until Marvel makes more of an effort to "equalize" them in terms of story development the two will never work long term.

Even Chris Clarmont had his own qualms about the Marriage and to some degree his points are becoming more and more clear the longer they have been together:
    Claremont may have had issue with them being more than friends but his initial pairing of the two is what ultimately led us to this point today. And I'm sure you're heard opposites attract. It's sometimes the things that make us different that make us gravitate towards the one we eventually fall for romantically. In regards to Tchalla and Ororo what more is there needs to happen to equalize them? They both have ties to royalty, they both have ties to gods, they both are heroes, and they both share a bond that goes back to their childhood. What more is needed?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

What are you talking about? First off it's black panther, not Black Panther and the MU, second. Priest had T'Challa team up with:
    Ironman
    Cap
    The Avengers
    Storm
    Logan
    And iron fist.

X men
    Cap
    Shang chi
    Blade
    Voodoo
    FF

None of those characters are actual Wakandans with the exception of Storm (and she was married into the Wakanda family). Where is the supporting cast that reside within the Wakandan border?

Claremont may have had issue with them being more than friends but his initial pairing of the two is what ultimately led us to this point today. And I'm sure you're heard opposites attract. It's sometimes the things that make us different that make us gravitate towards the one we eventually fall for romantically. In regards to Tchalla and Ororo what more is there needs to happen to equalize them? They both have ties to royalty, they both have ties to gods, they both are heroes, and they both share a bond that goes back to their childhood. What more is needed?
    I listed pretty clearly what else is needed. No need to run in circles.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

None of those characters are actual Wakandans with the exception of Storm (and she was married into the Wakanda family). Where is the supporting cast that reside within the Wakandan border?
    Wkabi, Shuri, Ramonda, Zhuri, S'Yan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Don’t forget QDJ, Okoye, Hunter, Omoro, Taku, Malaika, Moise Bomvana.

BANNED

Ironman
    Cap
    The Avengers
    Storm
    Logan
    And iron fist.

X men
    Cap
    Shang chi
    Blade
    Voodoo
    FF

They felt more like assoicates than allies when those writers wrote T'challa. Outside Captain America and Luke Cage, T'challa wasn't "friendly" with his allies and saw them all as either pawns and/or acquaintances depending on the situation.

I mean they were writing T'challa like Batman of the Marvel Universe at the time and you all know how rarely Batman shows that he cares about other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Don’t forget QDJ, Okoye, Hunter, Omoro, Taku, Malaika, Moise Bomvana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    fair enough. now take these characters away from the stories they told and would they impact the story in any way such as tchalla not being able to save the day or would you be less invested in the story? what was happening in cities and towns outside of the one tchalla resided in? what did people think of the government or the dora etc? what did the did the dora think about beyond what revolved around tchalla? I'm most certain coates felt the need to further develop wakanda and the internal politics because this was lacking from the preceding stories told.

They felt more like assoicates than allies when those writers wrote T'challa. Outside Captain America and Luke Cage, T'challa wasn't "friendly" with his allies and saw them all as either pawns and/or acquaintances depending on the situation.

I mean they were writing T'challa like Batman of the Marvel Universe at the time and you all know how rarely Batman shows that he cares about other heroes.
    great points

Storm not fitting in a story about fighting a galactic empire?

Hasn't she done this a few times in the X-books? That argument doesn't hold water.

But we are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions so I won't discount yours.
    Yea, as much as the x-office may downplay storm's ability to contribute, it's just as silly to postulate the other extreme that she's some overpowered being that can't be stopped. Coates had her get knocked out by d-list Vanisher and the Fenris twins in season 1, so it's safe to say she would struggle against an intergalatic space empire that's conquered 5 galaxies. And by struggle, i mean she'd die. There's an obvious balance here.

The likely reality is Storm isn't playing a large part in this season, at least not yet, because the movie has influenced Coates to focus on the MCU-lite iterations of Nakia, M'Baku, and King Killmonger. We wouldn't know how far that influence will stretch until season's end.

Keep this in mind too: Manifold is arguably more powerful than Storm with his cheat-code power set, yet there was no problem adding him into the story as a combatant. He literally could instant kill everyone.