Page 89 of 334 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 5002
    Retired

Isn't a unverse where people and places exist independently of each other more realistic? Sure, we all are connected to each other because we all came from the same mother thousands of years ago and our universe is governed by the same physical laws throughout the cosmos, but not everybody coordinates with everybody else on their colour schemes, the aesthetics of their set decoration, what jargon to use. The haphazard nature of DC heroes is more in line with how things work, rather than the Marvel heroes all being sprung from the same core concept (if that were even true, which it ain't).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah dude, soldier who gets injected with drugs in the 1940s to become the Ubermensch is totally connected to the Norse god of thunder and a billionaire from the Vietnam era who takes some shrapnel and decided to build himself a suit of armor.

You have a military hero with pulp science
    A mythic hero who controls thunder
    A science fiction hero who befalls an accidental tragedy and builds his power.
    Spider-Man fits your accidental hero assertion as well, though his is radioactive "science" which gives him power.
    Let's not get into the X-Men. I'll stop here because we're not captain Rogers. We don't have all day.

Let's not pretend either universe isn't contrived.
    Take a second and breath, chief.

No duh, they're both contrived; however, thematically Marvel characters are connected either by science or aliens.

Captain America = science
    Spidey = science
    X-Men = science (evolution)
    Asgardians = alien
    Magic based characters = science we do not understand

Isn't the point of this thread is to put forth your controversial opinions

Cue the, "your opinion is WRONG," and "no, YOUR opinion is wrong!"

Anyway;
    Batman is a psychopath.
    Superman and Lois are awful, neglectful parents.
    Current Elseworld stories are all about the kill everyone trope.
    The current trend for most of DC comics really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed.

I hated the cgi costumes. Everything else?? It was pretty much what I expected. The plot was pretty much a checklist to introduce the public to Hal Jordan. No matter what else they did... it still would have looked PRETTY similar. (The SHOULD have skipped parallax and just went with Sinestro the renegade Green lantern). But yeah, screwing up a personal life, Getting the ring, meeting the aliens, Training sessions, exposition about the corp, going back to earth. Carol, pilot... it's all pretty boilerplate Green Lantern Origin.

I hated the costume, but I had seen it before going in, so I new what to expect. I enjoyed it for what it was and consider it a mid-tier Superhero movie. Still liked it better than the DCEU except Shazam. Better then some, worse than some... but it's no Catwoman or Steel. No need to keep beating that dead horse. I feel the same about Daredevil. Especially the director's cut. There are parts that arent' great... but over all, I really enjoy that show. It's no Elektra for heaven's sake
    I think I may be only person in the world who likes CATWOMAN. My only issue with it was that right out of the gate it used the CATWOMAN name but was not ostensibly anything like the books (though it turns out it quite cleverly lets every interpretation of Catwoman ever stand as canon). Was annoyed it wasn't adapting Selena's big score initially (Halle looks just like the drawings) but I like the characters and the verse as well as the scoring and soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think I may be only person in the world who likes CATWOMAN. My only issue with it was that right out of the gate it used the CATWOMAN name but was not ostensibly anything like the books (though it turns out it quite cleverly lets every interpretation of Catwoman ever stand as canon). Was annoyed it wasn't adapting Selena's big score initially (Halle looks just like the drawings) but I like the characters and the verse as well as the scoring and soundtrack.
    Nah... I know one person on a different board that will die on that hill defending that movie...and any movie DC ever makes on principle.

However, it is a small group

Honestly I didn't find it clever, and anything that tries to give Catwoman Egyptian based superpowers kind of misses the point. It MAY tie in to Batman Returns that way... but I don't thin kit ties in to 'every interpretation of Catwoman ever. Hate the story, the acting, the costume and especially the special effects... As a separate entity with a whole other name it would have been a little more redeemable, but still would have been at that cheesy made for tv level.

Catwoman, Steel, and Elektra are my unholy trinity of Bad Superhero movies. They stopped my grand idea of owning every superhero movie.. I just couldn't do it after those. However, they HAVE helped me the silver lining in OTHER bad movies. They set the bar so low for me, that I can point other movies and say "well... they aren't TERRIBLE movies... they just don't meet my 'expectations'"

Retired

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't think much of Halle Barry. I don't hate her or anything, I just find her kind of ordinary and not a very exciting actor. I don't even think she's the most attractive woman that ever lived.

That's the real reason I never had enough interest to go and see CATWOMAN. It wasn't that I thought it was going to be bad. I simply put off going to see it. And never have gotten around to watching it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I must be the only person in the world that doesn't think much of Halle Barry. I don't hate her or anything, I just find her kind of ordinary and not a very exciting actor. I don't even think she's the most attractive woman that ever lived.

That's the real reason I never had enough interest to go and see CATWOMAN. It wasn't that I thought it was going to be bad. I simply put off going to see it. And never have gotten around to watching it since.
    I'm there with you. She's not terrible, but I don't find her special either. Just kind of there... but the world sure went crazy about her for a few years didn't it.... O.o

I liked Catwoman just fine and Steel is a huge guilty pleasure. That costume, the scene where he does his big heroic exit backwards via escalator everything about the movie was awful but so good.

I think Halle is fine and her acting is passable. Her body is more what people go crazy over and as they should. She's got a great shape.
    Last edited by dietrich; 10-04-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Take a second and breath, chief.

No duh, they're both contrived; however, thematically Marvel characters are connected either by science or aliens.

Captain America = science
    Spidey = science
    X-Men = science (evolution)
    Asgardians = alien
    Magic based characters = science we do not understand

Isn't the point of this thread is to put forth your controversial opinions
    Asgardians being aliens is very inconsistent and magic=science we do not understand isn't an actual rule in the MU.

As for the DCU. Superman and MM are aliens. Batman and Green lantern are humans with the latter often interacting with aliens as their job. Wonder Woman and Aquaman both deal in myth. There are plenty of DC heroes whose powers come from accidents like Flash. Just as there are plenty of heroes in the MU whose powers do not come from accidents.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm there with you. She's not terrible, but I don't find her special either. Just kind of there... but the world sure went crazy about her for a few years didn't it.... O.o
    Actually, I can't stand her. I don't like her films, and her personal life irks me.

Scott Snyder's Justice League/Legion of Doom story arc has dragged on for too long. 30+ issues and a mini.

It'll be a great trade but this is far too long. Kinda losing some interest.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Scott Snyder's Justice League/Legion of Doom story arc has dragged on for too long. 30+ issues and a mini.

It'll be a great trade but this is far too long. Kinda losing some interest.
    I mean the last few issues have generally been a holding pattern to end on a splash page of a returning Justice League. Hate to say it, but the last three issues have done nothing one book of twenty splash pages couldn't have. As much as I hate splash-flooded books, these are pretty decompressed and it's unashamed. I'm glad the JSA are prominent in the arc, but yeah, I otherwise don't care anymore. He needs to finish or get off the john, so to speak.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Scott Snyder's Justice League/Legion of Doom story arc has dragged on for too long.
    I thought the same around issue #2 of the run.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean the last few issues have generally been a holding pattern to end on a splash page of a returning Justice League. Hate to say it, but the last three issues have done nothing one book of twenty splash pages couldn't have. As much as I hate splash-flooded books, these are pretty decompressed and it's unashamed. I'm glad the JSA are prominent in the arc, but yeah, I otherwise don't care anymore. He needs to finish or get off the john, so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I thought the same around issue #2 of the run.
    Did we really need an issue devoted to Kid Starro? And I enjoyed seeing the JSA but almost a whole issue just for the introductions?

I bought the last five issues and didn't read them until yesterday just to make the story go faster.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Currently binging Rob Williams' Suicide Squad and really hope the upcoming title will be closer to what Ostrander did. Plus I hate dumb Croc.