Page 467 of 828 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477517567 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,005 of 12411
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Considering what they ended up doing to Poe, I think Finn dodged a bullet there.

And if you think fans were hostile to Kylo's face turn, just imagine how much worse it could have been for a villainous Finn.
    There’s already a tiny bit of Ron the Death Eater happening to Finn when TLJ tries to argue his caring for Rey is wrong somehow (which was some obvious bullshit), but going full bore would have been worse.

...But weirdly enough, I’ve also heard some people suggest that what they would have loved was Kylo getting redeemed early in TLJ and Rey going dark, so even she clearly experiences some pro-Kylo bullshit as well; she was kind of lucky Abrams was willing to try and push her again in TROS. I’ve heard all the arguments she’s an overpowered Mary Sue... but Kylo’s conducting necromancy and the entire story bends over backwards to pretend he’s sympathetic like a Blackhole Sue, but people don’t rush to call that out because of either sexism or acknowledging that ultimately a significant number of TLJ and TROS fans are embracing their more trashy tastes regarding him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Eh. It's still the only movie of the three and the only movie of the entire MOVIE franchise that says anything new and interesting about The Force.

The books and comics and even games may say plenty but that stuff doesn't exist for the core audience that only pays attention to movie canon.

The idea that the Jedi and the Sith were both wrong about the Force all along at least explains why the prequel Jedi were such unlikeable Dbags as a group.
    ...Eh... I don’t think it actually says or shows anything new about the Force as much as it suggests we should explore that idea later - before promptly dipping into pity parties that are the worst characterization mistakes in the movies (I’m thinking primarily about the young characters, for the record, though I think Luke should be counted as well) and a “reconstruction” phase that ultimately makes the earlier suggestions more of a headfake. There’s no actual lore work or challenges to the framework we have for the Force from earlier, and we even have Luke’s entire anti-Jedi sentiment being exposed as an intellectually lazy excuse that the film even partially blames on him not reading any of the damn books he emphasizes.

Part of TLJ’s problem is that it’s an exceptionally shallow movie for the story it’s trying to tell - it says the Jedi should be criticized, but has no details, for instance, and is also sidestepping whatever different teaching techniques or criticisms Luke would have for the Jedi Order.

It’s just it’s also far, far worse when it comes to its progressive and inclusive themes and its treatment of the women and POCs. It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if it weren’t following up on TFA, mind you, but it’s still bad to go from a film that had a female main character and a black male lead to one where it’s really two white dudes in the lead with the former main character as a prop to their story and pretty much every POC in a clearly token role as the supporting cast - heck, you could even argue Holdo ends up making every POC a minor character in the war story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Isn't there a rumor that Keira Knightly is going to play an older Rey in a post-trilogy Disney+ show?

But regardless I think that's the way to go, too. I'd personally like to see a Finn show where he's training to be a Jedi but...yeah, the way to go.
    Well, you did get that for about three seconds in the Lego Star Wars holiday special, Finn training to be a Jedi. It’s mostly about Rey and wacky time travel hijinx , but Rey is time traveling to learn how to be better at teaching Finn. But it is mostly about Rey.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/underworld-kevin...ng-of-killers/

Kevin Grevioux developing film adaptation of King of Kings.
    What I want to say is, If Kevin Grevioux was white he'd be running his own studio by now. Maybe that's not what the brotha want's to do, maybe he still wants to be a creative. Still, the man is talented and I don't understand why he's not a bigger deal and pushed more projects in Hollywood.

This is just me with no information to deny or confirm either way but I feel he just ain't gonna let a studio head go Terry Crews on his junk? :shrug:
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

https://www.cbr.com/batman-89-comic-two-face-story/

I forgot Billie Dee Williams was Harvey Dent in the Keaton Batman movies. I thought it was a weird casting at the time. I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    What I want to say is, If Kevin Grevioux was white he'd be running his own studio by now. Maybe that's not what the brotha want's to do, maybe he still wants to be a creative. Still, the man is talented and I don't understand why he's not a bigger deal and pushed more projects in Hollywood.

This is just me with no information to deny or confirm either way but I feel he just ain't gonna let a studio head go Terry Crews on his junk? :shrug:
    Maybe he doesn't want to kiss butt. or like you said he still wants to create.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Kevin Greivoux should really be a bigger deal than he is. The man can write, act and is badass looking with one of the coolest voices on Earth (seriously, that guy sounds like he's punching me just by talking). Being a bad ass black guy doesn't seem to be in demand in Hollywood at all.

Even guys like Michael Jai White (one of my favourites) can't even get a look-in anymore and is firmly stuck in the DTV hole despite being one of the few legit action stars in Hollywood that can actually act.

It's not easy being a buff, black guy in Hollywood nowadays. Terry Crews is where he is because he plays a lot of goofball roles (and is disturbingly lukewarm on racial issues).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Kevin Greivoux should really be a bigger deal than he is. The man can write, act and is badass looking with one of the coolest voices on Earth (seriously, that guy sounds like he's punching me just by talking). Being a bad ass black guy doesn't seem to be in demand in Hollywood at all.

Even guys like Michael Jai White (one of my favourites) can't even get a look-in anymore and is firmly stuck in the DTV hole despite being one of the few legit action stars in Hollywood that can actually act.

It's not easy being a buff, black guy in Hollywood nowadays. Terry Crews is where he is because he plays a lot of goofball roles (and is disturbingly lukewarm on racial issues).
    That’s a good point.. it feels like unless someone’s adapting a buff black character from other work, he’s not going to be getting the lead role in some other film or TV project project unless it’s as an antagonist.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

If you're a big buff guy in hollywood you're either in acton roles or falling down a lot in comedies. In addition to Crews they also have The Rock and John Cena for those roles. Though to give Dave Bautista credit, he does seem to push himself a little. Maybe Kevin isn't interested in being typecast. It would probably be easier for him if he were a scrawny non-threatening looking white guy.

Remember, Black leads have to take turns. I mean you can't have Denzel Washington, Idris Elbis, Will Smith and The Rock all coming out with movies at the same time.

That's just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    They took Finn and made him safe. He wasn't going to be the lead hero -Rey got that. He wasn't going to be the badass rogue who played by his own rules -that slot was for Poe. He wasn't going to be the dastardly villain so powerful and over the top but eventually turned and defeated the ultimate bad guy -that went to Ben.

He was the safe buddy who brought a little comic relief and was in no way any threat to be a romantic lead. He was the guy who kept shouting "Reyyyy!!!!!"
    This is why I smile when people rip the official Star Wars account to shreds on Twitter whenever they make performative posts about diversity. John Boyega has every right to be bitter.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

I don't know about Greivoux, but I can assume that it's an access to production funds thing with MJW and maybe there was a Kickstarter or he doesn't mess with Kickstarter, I don't know.

The Black Dynamite Cartoon was great but it only got one season and as far as I know his Blaxploitation Western Parody ( the Black Dynamite sequel, kinda) that he was planning is still in the works.

I imagine if he could get funding the way he wanted, it would have come out already.

I do think that Vin Diesel and MWJ had something when they made themselves into an Action Heroes (Riddick, Black Dynamite) and then marketed those characters.

As a Black Actor if you don't want to be an Action Guy, things get exponentially harder for self promotion project unless you are a Comedian or are willing to embrace TV.

It also occurs to me that the one thing Terry Crews and the Rock have in common is that they are both swole dudes who can both comedy. Which a lot of action guys can't do.

Stallone and Norris never could. Arnold however, was pretty good at it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBa_aHwCbC4

Other than I do not understand why they need an original character who is essentially asian johnny cage and goodness Lewis Tan is wooden as hell and I hope he doesn't get too much focus, this trailer kinda lit. Gives me "good B movie" feelings lol.

interesting jax origin

but I swear spoilers:
    if that was my man Reptile getting his heart ripped out by freaking Kano, I might cry
    end of spoilers
    Uhhhh Jimmy BROlson looks good as Jax lol, I'm wit it!

Scorpion fkn Begins... Whut... And Mileena...

Yo. I've never been to the movies with half a dozen dudes before or since the first movie. Damn, I need to call a couple of them cats.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Other than I do not understand why they need an original character who is essentially asian johnny cage and goodness Lewis Tan is wooden as hell and I hope he doesn't get too much focus, this trailer kinda lit. Gives me "good B movie" feelings lol.

interesting jax origin

but I swear spoilers:
    if that was my man Reptile getting his heart ripped out by freaking Kano, I might cry
    end of spoilers
    There's a theory that Tan's character is actually spoilers:
    Kuai Liang, the second Sub-Zero
    end of spoilers.

They probably didn't use Johnny as the main lead because of accusations of racism for using him over Liu Kang and they've been trying to replace Liu since Deadly Alliance. Tan's character seems like an attempt at a compromise.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-18-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Ultimate Member

interesting jax origin

but I swear spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Hold up...is that Reptile?? Damn...that's cold.

But I'm actually excited for the new MK movie. It looks like the Scorpion's Revenge DTV that came out a while back.

And I really like Joe Taslim. Him being cast as Sub-Zero is just the icing (heh) on the cake for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's a theory that Tan's character is actually spoilers:
    Kuai Liang, the second Sub-Zero
    end of spoilers.

They probably didn't use Johnny as the main lead because of accusations of racism for using him over Liu Kang and they've been trying to replace Liu since Deadly Alliance. Tan's character seems like an attempt at a compromise.
    Based on the trailer, the new theory is actually....

spoilers:
    Tan is the next scorpion/spectre. he is a decendent of Scorpion's clan. Hence why Sub Zero is trying ot kill him and it looks like Scorpion is protecting him
    end of spoilers

TBF, I don't care that much lol I do't know enough of the lore to care. Give me...

- cool fights
    - cool abilities
    - cool one liners
    - decent special effects
    - good music
    - at least somewhat passable story that makes it flow a little bit

and I am good lol. Ain't like the first movie is "good" but I love that thing. Even if it is weird Shang's motivation seemed to be to clap Sonya's cheeeks. Even when I was younginI thought that was odd lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html