Page 469 of 828 FirstFirst ... 369419459465466467468469470471472473479519569 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,035 of 12408
    Ultimate Member

To tell the truth, what scares me about the Texas situation is what if it happens here up North?

My kids are still young and I literally don't know what I will do in this sort of situation.

Maybe it's my old age but **** scares me nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    To tell the truth, what scares me about the Texas situation is what if it happens here up North?

My kids are still young and I literally don't know what I will do in this sort of situation.

Short term, 2-3 days no power is preferable to the same period without the water. The water being off is game changer. I got little ones too and me and the wife had a pow-wow about it last week. Keeping some potable water around would be important. That and getting the kids used to pooping in buckets for a few days is likely the biggest hurdle. Also where you live will make all the difference. I'm in a house now but I've been in apartments since I left the crib in the 90s, you can burn things outside and bring things that still carry heat inside. God help the apartment dwellers cause I don't even. I've got my old charcoal grill that we'd just bump the living hell out of. Until we lost fuel for the fire that is.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Well, I mean, each region probably has their own natural disasters they have to worry about. I doubt "too cold" is a problem up north. But the problem with cold, esp in texas where they don't know what that is, is that it can kill you.

I'm in Hurricane land, so that is our "thing."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I live in the South on the coast so hurricanes are our thing. It took decades of death and destruction before we finally learned to build better structures and prepare better evacuation plans. We still screw up occasionally because some guy thinks that he can ride out the hurricane with his family.

A lot has been done on drainage as well since a good bit of the coast is below sea level. But with the the increasing number of hurricanes and the increase in severity, I eventually will move away from the coast.

Then I can worry about tornados.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I live in the South on the coast so hurricanes are our thing. It took decades of death and destruction before we finally learned to build better structures and prepare better evacuation plans. We still screw up occasionally because some guy thinks that he can ride out the hurricane with his family.

A lot has been done on drainage as well since a good bit of the coast is below sea level. But with the the increasing number of hurricanes and the increase in severity, I eventually will move away from the coast.

Then I can worry about tornados.
    Ain't really **** you can do about Tornados.

Basically you have a basement to get into or you don't and have to pick a middle room without windows and pray your isn't the house that gets picked. The things give you little to no warning at all. And they come and go in a flash.

I live in hurricane zone too (well now its a hurricane zone... before I moved here they hadn't had one in decades and then we have like 3 in 5 years lol) and the scariest thing is the trees over my house. The last big one, all I heardfor hours were trees getting ripped from the ground and crashing... over and ove rand over and over... just waiting for the ones over my house to fall. Fucking nerve racking as hell, i'd gladly take the no power afterwards that deal with that stress lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Ain't really **** you can do about Tornados.

Basically you have a basement to get into or you don't and have to pick a middle room without windows and pray your isn't the house that gets picked. The things give you little to no warning at all. And they come and go in a flash.

I live in hurricane zone too (well now its a hurricane zone... before I moved here they hadn't had one in decades and then we have like 3 in 5 years lol) and the scariest thing is the trees over my house. The last big one, all I heardfor hours were trees getting ripped from the ground and crashing... over and ove rand over and over... just waiting for the ones over my house to fall. Fucking nerve racking as hell, i'd gladly take the no power afterwards that deal with that stress lol
    We took a glancing blow from a Hurrican about 5 years back. Enough to knock down tress like bowling pins, put a lot of areas under water and knock out power for about 2 weeks. After that one, I said I'd evacuate. Then a year later, a tornado struck about 3 miles from where I live, an EF1. Like you said, that thing was playing hopscotch. It destroyed an Advance Auto store but skipped the restaurant 2 buildings over.

We took a glancing blow from a Hurrican about 5 years back. Enough to knock down tress like bowling pins, put a lot of areas under water and knock out power for about 2 weeks. After that one, I said I'd evacuate. Then a year later, a tornado struck about 3 miles from where I live, an EF1. Like you said, that thing was playing hopscotch. It destroyed an Advance Auto store but skipped the restaurant 2 buildings over.
    I'm at least sending the kids and wife up north if another decent one comes through here.

I don' tlike leaving the house in case of damage but they are at least getting the hell ou tlol

https://www.cbr.com/falcon-winter-so...ah-wilson-mcu/

Sam's sister Sarah(Adepero Oduye) will make her debut in Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Extraordinary Member

https://www.cbr.com/falcon-winter-so...ah-wilson-mcu/

Sam's sister Sarah(Adepero Oduye) will make her debut in Falcon and Winter Soldier.
    I will LOL if Gideon is introduced and Thunderbolt Ross recruits him.

https://www.cbr.com/dwayne-mcduffie-...s-warner-bros/

Warner Bros. celebrates Dwayne McDuffie legacy in comics and animation with a documentary.

Extraordinary Member

Most other states have agreements with their neighbors and shared power grids. If the affected State's grid becomes overwhelmed, it can draw power from its neighbors to shoulder the burden.

Texas hates having the kinds of regulations that other states have, so it refused to link with other states grids to avoid those regs.

The frost was awful to be sure but Texas' way of doing things made everything worse for itself during this situation which anybody who was paying attention would have saw coming.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Most other states have agreements with their neighbors and shared power grids. If the affected State's grid becomes overwhelmed, it can draw power from its neighbors to shoulder the burden.

Texas hates having the kinds of regulations that other states have, so it refused to link with other states grids to avoid those regs.

The frost was awful to be sure but Texas' way of doing things made everything worse for itself during this situation which anybody who was paying attention would have saw coming.
    Very true.

I actually read that Texas literally reduced regulation on their power sector and more or less cut off themselves from other states. The meme "congratulations, you played yourself", is so appropriate here.

But the politicians in the state are blaming the "Green New Deal" which is hilarious because it doesn't even exist yet. And the tragic thing is these clowns will never be held accountable because some many people in the state will continue to vote Republican even if it kills them.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-24-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Watching the reaction to Monica Rambeau in Wandavision has been very bittersweet for me.

It's nice on the one hand to see how much people like the character and the surge of interest in her. On the other hand, it's sad to see just how terribly she was treated post Roger Stern. She was the leader of the Avengers but Gruenwald wanted her replaced as leader of the Avengers so much so that he fired Roger Stern when he opposed this. Like, seriously?

I hope she gets some recognition in the comics again.

Very true.

I actually read that Texas literally reduced regulation on their power sector and more or less cut off themselves from other states. The meme "congratulations, you played yourself", is so appropriate here.

But the politicians in the state are blaming the "Green New Deal" which is hilarious because it doesn't even exist yet. And the tragic thing is these clowns will never be held accountable because some many people in the state will continue to vote Republican even if it kills them.
    They tried to blame it on wind farms, but they're wind farms in the midwest and we get nailed by snow and below freezing temps all the time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    They tried to blame it on wind farms, but they're wind farms in the midwest and we get nailed by snow and below freezing temps all the time.
    They were told to PREPARE for something like this and they REFUSED on the claim of it costing too much.

If Texas was linked to everyone else-last week does not HAPPEN.

As for power outages-it's been pointed out about how some areas (not near hospitals or fire stations) lost power for a long time versus others. Especially parts that were blue in elections or lacked certain skin tones.

The politicians are blaming AOC but the voters are NOT. They want Cruz and Abbott's HEADS.