Page 489 of 828 FirstFirst ... 389439479485486487488489490491492493499539589 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 12411
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The history of fetishizing Asian women

https://www.vox.com/22338807/asian-f...lanta-shooting
    Wait, why did Agent Z get banned?

That's not just a self-selected title?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Reactionary YouTube is freaking out because Zack Snyder told off “Geeks and Gamers” on YouTube.

I’m not surprised, this is the same channel that’s made about 100 videos about Brie Larson and constantly react to any major media that’s minority or female led.

All of sudden, a lot of channels have become defensive because the mainstream media has woken up and finally made the connection that the gamergate, comicsgate and even parts of fandom menace channels are “alt-right adjacent”.
    Because they thought making some donations and edging Ray Fisher on was going to give them a free pass.

When most folks have been objective to the Snyder Cut-it was more due to many of the attackers and harassers hashtagging any or all those alt-right factions.

Folks are getting tired of these guys especially with the violence that they bring. It's sad guys like John Boyega had to suffer in silence before folks said enough.

I find it interesting that so few of them have anything to say about the editor of Teen Vogue stepping down after problematic tweets of hers have resurfaced. "Cancel Culture" being out of control and everything. Of course, Alexi McCammond is black, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...
    More black and FEMALE had something to do with it.

I am more shocked that there are black ones in those groups (including the one ed2962 and I know-who is still repeating gator talk despite denouncing them) and have no issue when the attacks happen.

They are attacking your race not for what they did but for existing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The history of fetishizing Asian women

https://www.vox.com/22338807/asian-f...lanta-shooting
    The reason Asian women are fetishized is because the US military has spent the better part of the last century occupying most of East Asia, and our brave soldiers needed to be supplied with a steady stream of "comfort women" to satiate their lust and keep them in fighting condition, or so the thinking went. Perhaps on some level boys will be boys, but there is no corresponding evidence that our communist opponents in Korea and Vietnam ever made such widespread use of military brothels. And of course this was largely justified on the basis that these services were being provided voluntarily, but when the US has bombed their countries back to the stone age and driven the local populace into abject poverty, there were hardly many other options for them to earn a living, and of course, when prostitutes were not on offer the soldiers would often just venture off base and rape local women indiscriminately anyway. These attitudes filtered down to the general populace, and thus the stereotype remains despite the fact that most Asian cultures are actually far more strict and conservative in controlling the behavior of women than mainstream American culture. Essentially, our soldiers took their interactions with some desperately poor women who were forced into prostitution to survive as indicative of the entire society, because those were the only locals they ever bothered to have any contact with, and little has changed for most Western men in Asia in the present day.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-20-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because they thought making some donations and edging Ray Fisher on was going to give them a free pass.

When most folks have been objective to the Snyder Cut-it was more due to many of the attackers and harassers hashtagging any or all those alt-right factions.

Folks are getting tired of these guys especially with the violence that they bring. It's sad guys like John Boyega had to suffer in silence before folks said enough.

I am more shocked that there are black ones in those groups (including the one ed2962 and I know-who is still repeating gator talk despite denouncing them) and have no issue when the attacks happen.

It’s funny because I’m not sure Snyder himself is aware of just about how much of the push for the Snyder cut came from these channels.

It wasn’t just a case of devoted fans fighting for it, there was a crazed group of guys that latched on it including alt-right adjacent channels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    That's not just a self-selected title?
    I think it pops up automatically for someone who's been banned. So I don't think it can be self-selected.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

It had to do with the timing and Teen Vogue painting itself as a super woke magazine. Apparently she deleted the tweets, but the internet is forever. I've noticed problematic tweets are always from 2011-2014, it was like being an edgelord was cool back then.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    It had to do with the timing and Teen Vogue painting itself as a super woke magazine. Apparently she deleted the tweets, but the internet is forever. I've noticed problematic tweets are always from 2011-2014, it was like being an edgelord was cool back then.
    It's more just that Twitter was a new platform then, and social media was still mostly just for posting random thoughts that were never meant to be seen by anyone outside of your personal circle, as opposed to the primary means that people use to inform themselves about what's going on in the world. It certainly would be unfair to hold someone's youthful indiscretions against them for the rest of their lives, but that's rarely what happens in these sorts of situations. Because social media profiles are under much more public scrutiny now, just because someone has sanitized their Twitter timeline doesn't mean that their private beliefs have changed one bit, and if the inevitably awkward attempts at damage control are any indication, these cases far outnumber those where the cancelee shows any genuine remorse for their past statements.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Reactionary YouTube is freaking out because Zack Snyder told off “Geeks and Gamers” on YouTube.

I’m not surprised, this is the same channel that’s made about 100 videos about Brie Larson and constantly react to any major media that’s minority or female led.

All of sudden, a lot of channels have become defensive because the mainstream media has woken up and finally made the connection that the gamergate, comicsgate and even parts of fandom menace channels are “alt-right adjacent”.
    Why did they think Snyder would be on their side? What made them think that?

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The reason Asian women are fetishized is because the US military has spent the better part of the last century occupying most of East Asia, and our brave soldiers needed to be supplied with a steady stream of "comfort women" to satiate their lust and keep them in fighting condition, or so the thinking went. Perhaps on some level boys will be boys, but there is no corresponding evidence that our communist opponents in Korea and Vietnam ever made such widespread use of military brothels. And of course this was largely justified on the basis that these services were being provided voluntarily, but when the US has bombed their countries back to the stone age and driven the local populace into abject poverty, there were hardly many other options for them to earn a living, and of course, when prostitutes were not on offer the soldiers would often just venture off base and rape local women indiscriminately anyway. These attitudes filtered down to the general populace, and thus the stereotype remains despite the fact that most Asian cultures are actually far more strict and conservative in controlling the behavior of women than mainstream American culture. Essentially, our soldiers took their interactions with some desperately poor women who were forced into prostitution to survive as indicative of the entire society, because those were the only locals they ever bothered to have any contact with, and little has changed for most Western men in Asia in the present day.
    Dear God, that's gross. And yet American culture portrays itself as chaste and godly.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I find it interesting that so few of them have anything to say about the editor of Teen Vogue stepping down after problematic tweets of hers have resurfaced. "Cancel Culture" being out of control and everything. Of course, Alexi McCammond is black, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...
    Not the first time that's happened. Look up what happened to Adria Richards
    https://news.yahoo.com/woman-fired-t...192618045.html
    Granted she wasn't insulting anybody but the free speech crowd didn't have shit to say about cases like that and even justified it when it happened because hey she started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Because it’s overshadowed by this pseudo academic sentiment going around that Asian people are “white-adjacent” and therefore “in on” oppressing black people. Makes sense some frustrated individuals of color would see that as “justification” to start their own campaign of violence against them.

EDIT: Oh. That's the title of a linked article, not a question. <self-facepalm> Welp, two cents.
    Or it could be influenced by past cases of Asian-on-Black racism that weren't taken seriously (ex. Latasha Harlins, Akai Gurley). BS segments on Nightline by hacks like Juju Chang don't help matters.

Media did all they could to try and make Black people the face of anti-Asian racism despite this country's bullshit history. No segments on white supremacists including the one who shot 8 people in GA.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

You guys see where the announcer blamed his racist rant on his diabetes?

He claims that his low blood sugar caused him to say things he normally wouldn't say.

He's a dumbass.
    Disgusting pigs always have an excuse and stay on code. Don't even get me started...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...?ocid=msedgdhp

Apparently a senior staffer at Teen Vogue, Christine Davitt, who supported McCammond being ousted apparently has some old social media posts using the N-word.

Today's lesson? Don't throw stones.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's more just that Twitter was a new platform then, and social media was still mostly just for posting random thoughts that were never meant to be seen by anyone outside of your personal circle, as opposed to the primary means that people use to inform themselves about what's going on in the world. It certainly would be unfair to hold someone's youthful indiscretions against them for the rest of their lives, but that's rarely what happens in these sorts of situations. Because social media profiles are under much more public scrutiny now, just because someone has sanitized their Twitter timeline doesn't mean that their private beliefs have changed one bit, and if the inevitably awkward attempts at damage control are any indication, these cases far outnumber those where the cancelee shows any genuine remorse for their past statements.
    Yeah, the degree to which social media would inevitably become mainstream or at least rival other forms of media was probably inevitable, anyway -- just recently for instance, I saw someone on another forum referencing something "Media" said, and it was some Youtube "influencer", which some people pointed out, but others rightly pointed out, she has over 100k subscribers, so affiliated with an established organization or not, how do you deny people are paying attention? -- but, just speaking for myself, I kind of intentionally dismissed considering Twitter as anything worth acknowledging at all, until the last president not only used the platform to help his getting elected, but continued using at as his primary way of communicating throughout his administration, until he was banned.

I feel like that kind of forcibly shifted Twitter from seeming like something like Tiktok, something I still consider as frivolous and which I wouldn't expect anyone to take seriously, to something that now needs to be taken seriously. Much as I still dislike the idea that something so inherently limited to very short and brief messages should be taken as such an important medium for communicating anything important.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Media did all they could to try and make Black people the face of anti-Asian racism despite this country's bullshit history. No segments on white supremacists including the one who shot 8 people in GA.
    Weird. AFAIK, those spa shootings were pretty much the big subject of CNN's discourse for the past couple weeks. Granted, I understand that outlet doesn't represent all news networks, but it's perhaps the most iconic/tuned-into.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 03-21-2021 at 02:51 PM.