Page 55 of 113 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Excuses, excuses.

Yeah, cause we don't want another gosh darn Iceman situation with him becoming gay. The LGBT+ community is going WAY too far, who's next, Laura?
    Don't put words in my mouth. You KNOW and have seen how divisive the fights over retcons — even EASY ones like Iceman (thanks to decades of jokes within the fanbase) — can be (speaking of Laura, a lot of readers didn't even realize the Adamantium Agenda #4 reveal was a retcon; they just assumed it was the case from the start. Yet that STILL got a little heated on her appreciation thread, no doubt fueled by Kyle's passive-aggressive tweet). Look at Kitty; Claremont built subtext in from the start and his intent was always well-known even though subsequent writers refused to touch it. But if you genuinely think her being outed woudn't cause a **** storm since it retcons 30 years of established character development, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

And your attitude is EXACTLY part of the problem; People aren't going to be allowed to oppose a retcon JUST because it's a retcon, or because it diametrically opposes the character's previous development and characterization. Because of the subject matter they're immediately going to get attacked and labeled just like you did now (and FYI I'm NOT saying that there's not people who would oppose for less savory reasons, but too many people try to make it a black and white argument). So thanks for proving my point for me.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 08-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Wait, what happened in Adamantium Agenda?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Wait, what happened in Adamantium Agenda?
    Laura was revealed to have Sarah Kinney’s DNA. As retcons go it’s about as minor as you can get, yet it STILL led to people claiming it ruins everything about her.

Oh, gotcha.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but writers going out of their way to pander to or placate fans via social media doesn’t instill much confidence in me. Let your work speak for itself.
    Yep, agree with this one. It's becoming a particular gripe of mine, as a matter of fact.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąяÂ¥ Tycon View Post
    Excuses, excuses.

Yeah, cause we don't want another gosh darn Iceman situation with him becoming gay. The LGBT+ community is going WAY too far, who's next, Laura?
    While I have zero issue with Laura being represented as LGBTQ; I will say that I'm tired of feeling like there's more of a push for characters to become LGBTQ than fans pushing for confirmed LGBTQ characters to get more representation.

I want characters like Karma, Anole, Mercury, Northstar, Prodigy, etc to be in the main books; and while I know people will counter argue 'they don't sell', part of the reason is they're never given a chance. The only character's regularly featured are Iceman recently, Northstar (sometimes) , Shatterstar (sometimes), Rictor, Daken and Mystique.
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 08-18-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Laura was revealed to have Sarah Kinney’s DNA. As retcons go it’s about as minor as you can get, yet it STILL led to people claiming it ruins everything about her.
    Wait, is that why I’ve heard people online yelling about how she’s not really a clone after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Wait, is that why I’ve heard people online yelling about how she’s not really a clone after all?
    Yes, because she isn't. She's an IVF baby now.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    While I have zero issue with Laura being represented as LGBTQ; I will say that I'm tired of feeling like there's more of a push for characters to become LGBTQ than fans pushing for confirmed LGBTQ characters to get more representation.

I want characters like Karma, Anole, Mercury, Northstar, Prodigy, etc to be in the main books; and while I know people will counter argue 'they don't sell', part of the reason is they're never given a chance. The only character's regularly featured are Iceman recently, Northstar (sometimes) , Shatterstar (sometimes), Rictor, Daken and Mystique.
    I agree though have nothing against whether Kitty or Magik for example being bi is sad that characters like Karma, Anole or Bling are restricted to small scenes or special appearances. To be honest not even Shatterstar or Rictor has had much space in recent years on the other hand Daken is more a matter of his connection with Wolverine and Mystique is a classic character. It also reveals another problem that writers continue to create new mutants rather than using those that already exist many times with same powers only to be equally throw in limbo after.
    Last edited by Knives; 08-18-2018 at 11:42 AM.

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Yep, agree with this one. It's becoming a particular gripe of mine, as a matter of fact.
    Mine too, especially when we are seeing continuity lapses, interviews with little to no substance beyond the usual talking points, recycled and regurgitated ideas which result in a general lack of quality but the response is, “OMG! Look at what they said on Twitter tho!”

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth. You KNOW and have seen how divisive the fights over retcons — even EASY ones like Iceman (thanks to decades of jokes within the fanbase) — can be
    I might point out the irony of you arguing against Laura being gay because it will be divisive when no other person in the X-23 fandom fans the flames of division more than you given how incessantly you argue against any opinion that differs from yours. I mean, it's reached the point that you've been blocked on Twitter by X-23 writer Mariko Tamaki and X-23 fanpage accounts for harassing other fans. Maybe take this as an opportunity to let people express their opinions, just like you express yours? And that way you won't be accused of homophobia when you have a meltdown at the thought of Laura being gay either. It's a win-win!

Personally, I would welcome Laura coming out as gay. I think it would be good for the character and that it makes a lot of sense. And who says it's a retcon? Laura hasn't had a normal adolescence in which to explore her sexuality and experiment the way normal teenagers do. Her only just now figuring herself out isn't a stretch. Heck, it might offer some resolution to those who felt Laura's change of heart about Hellion didn't make sense. It was because after going on a journey of self-discovery, and spending time with Jubilee one might add, she realized she was gay.

Yea, using existing lgbt characters would be nice, I do agree with that. Even though I have no problem with existing characters coming out or exploring their sexuality either. But it does beg the question of why not use existing gay characters more prominently.

Maybe the writers feel that if they have an existing character discover/admit/whatever that they are lgbt, it will be more interesting (which is sad if true). Is there just no interesting aspect to characters who are openly gay and well adjusted? This is a rhetorical question but I’d be interested to know the answer.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post

I feel the same way actually, word for word.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Yes, because she isn't. She's an IVF baby now.
    No she isn't. She still a clone just some of Sarah's DNA is in her.
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...713006080?s=19

So the damaged y was either turned to a x via Sarah's DNA or it's from a transfer of DNA when she was being carried(like was referenced in innocence lost)

While were on Laura being outed being bi is probably the rout thell thak but hey need to dedicate a long arc to her outing and dealing with her sexuality. I dont want a repeater of iceman. A character as reserved as she is needed more then one issue to this right. Either do it right or leve it for somone else who do it right
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 08-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    No she isn't. She still a clone just some of Sarah's DNA is in her.
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...713006080?s=19
    I’m not In the loop on this particular topic nor do I care about it but I do have to agree with others about the social media issue.

Like.... if writing is supposed to have meaning and make any difference, shouldn’t all the required info be present in the pages? The idea that one has to keep up with social media or read message boards to get “canon” information is kinda nuts.

This also brings up the question of how canon something is if it isn’t printed. I’ve seen people often use writer’s stated intentions as fact even if it wasn’t said in print. For example I often see “Claremont intended for soandso...”. To me I just don’t care about what anyone intended or thought. Clearing up a misunderstanding is one thing but expanding or adding canon is another.

Edit: I’m not really talking about this particular case it’s just a general thought I’ve had in the past on other issues
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?