Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: Action Figures

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I definitely know the feeling on the Figuarts Dragonball ones - there are so many that I would love to get but money & space issues meant I couldnt get many beyond a few of them - and once they go out of stock you have to hope for a reissue because the aftermarket prices are crazy!

Thankfully they are reissuing Future Trunks next year - hoping they reissue the Sayin saga Vegeta at some point!
    This. Aftermarket prices are way too high and even the retail prices are getting to be too much and you don't get much with the figure in a lot of cases.

This has made me very selective about what I've been getting lately.

Does anyone do army building? I usually get anywhere from 2-4 figures for army building.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Transformers and Black Series (mainly Clone/Storm Troopers, Mandalorians, with some misc).

Used to McFarlane DC but character selection and some QC issues had me bail.
    McFarlane did way too many Batman figures for my taste but it's gotten more diverse as of late.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This. Aftermarket prices are way too high and even the retail prices are getting to be too much and you don't get much with the figure in a lot of cases.

This has made me very selective about what I've been getting lately.

Does anyone do army building? I usually get anywhere from 2-4 figures for army building.
    Agreed, if you miss a figure (especially a high end or import one) then trying to find it for a decent price on the aftermarket can be near impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    McFarlane did way too many Batman figures for my taste but it's gotten more diverse as of late.
    Agreed thankfully they have branched out - I just wish they were 6 inch scale so they could fit with my already existing DCUC/Multiverse and Marvel Legends!

Incredible Member

I definitely know the feeling on the Figuarts Dragonball ones - there are so many that I would love to get but money & space issues meant I couldnt get many beyond a few of them - and once they go out of stock you have to hope for a reissue because the aftermarket prices are crazy!

Thankfully they are reissuing Future Trunks next year - hoping they reissue the Sayin saga Vegeta at some point!
    I’m ticked I missed the preorder on the reissue of 16. I did get fat Buu preordered though so that’s pretty sweet. The only Vegeta I would consider is if they released one in the pink “Bad Man” shirt outfit.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Extraordinary Member

So Macfarlane been droppin some bangers lately lol. Fresh out of the multiplex after seeing avatar a 2nd time stumbled into Target and found this. Crabsuit mech...last one too .

Extraordinary Member

That's vintage Secura in there probably shoulda put Darth Vader. But she just fits...

Extraordinary Member

Some B-sides I forgot to post. Neca Renet from TMNT.

Extraordinary Member

Another MacFarlane lol. Ghost with Batcycle. Just look at those pants bro! lol

For the first time since 1995, a new Grifter action figure came out this year, but I didn't like it. The head sculpt was great, but the McFarlane DC Multiverse figures are 7", a different scale than most of my collection (6" DC Universe Classics, DC Direct, Marvel Legends, and G.I. Joe Classified). Plus, the McFarlane body had limited articulation, the gunslinger character didn't come with any guns, and those goofy-looking bright red gloves would have looked so much better if they kept them black, like in the original preview art. (See below.) At least I got it for $8 in an Amazon sale, which was over half off.

Today I did the cheesiest, easiest custom figure ever by popping Grifter's head off and putting it on a G.I. Joe Classified "Alpha Commando" Snake Eyes body, which I thought would be perfect for a more tactical look. I would have done this almost two weeks ago, but the eBay seller sent me the wrong Snake Eyes, and I had to ship it back to him first. But he admitted it was totally his mistake, and he was cool enough to give me a full refund and send the right figure completely free, which I couldn't believe! Now that's customer service.

Since they are made by two different companies, the neck lengths and the ball joints that pop the heads onto the necks just aren't compatible. I figured this out after spending 20+ minutes using a coarse emery board to file down the ball joint on Snake Eyes' neck, but then I realized the Grifter figure neck is so much longer, the Snake Eyes neck ball would never pop into the hole in Grifter's head.

Luckily, a little poster putty holds Grifter's head in place, and I definitely won't move it around too much. The head is a little large for the Snake Eyes body, but it's good enough for me. This is a figure I've wanted for over 20 years, ever since reading and getting obsessed with Joe Casey's brilliant run writing Wildcats. While it wasn't what I envisioned originally, it's a pretty satisfying custom, with much better articulation and accessories than anything DC Direct would have made in the 2000s.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    For the first time since 1995, a new Grifter action figure came out this year, but I didn't like it. The head sculpt was great, but the McFarlane DC Multiverse figures are 7", a different scale than most of my collection (6" DC Universe Classics, DC Direct, Marvel Legends, and G.I. Joe Classified). Plus, the McFarlane body had limited articulation, the gunslinger character didn't come with any guns, and those goofy-looking bright red gloves would have looked so much better if they kept them black, like in the original preview art. (See below.)
    Agreed, I would totally buy more McFarlane Multiverse figures if they scaled better with my existing DCUC/Multiverse & Marvel Legends

Re: the guns, this is apparently an edict handed down by WB themselves which means that none of their characters can include guns anymore (not just McFarlane, it affects other companies as well e.g. Mafex had to drop a "bang" gun from their Hush Joker figure that was in all the promo pics)

Todd has gotten around this by releasing a "Weapon Pack" on his own and the weapons included fit the DC Multiverse figures

https://mcfarlane.com/toys/mcfarlane...unitions-pack/
    Last edited by JAG2045; 01-01-2023 at 05:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post

Luckily, a little poster putty holds Grifter's head in place, and I definitely won't move it around too much. The head is a little large for the Snake Eyes body, but it's good enough for me. This is a figure I've wanted for over 20 years, ever since reading and getting obsessed with Joe Casey's brilliant run writing Wildcats. While it wasn't what I envisioned originally, it's a pretty satisfying custom, with much better articulation and accessories than anything DC Direct would have made in the 2000s.
    Looks cool man you pulled it off.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-01-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Looks cool man you pulled it off.
    Thank you!

Agreed, I would totally buy more McFarlane Multiverse figures if they scaled better with my existing DCUC/Multiverse & Marvel Legends

Re: the guns, this is apparently an edict handed down by WB themselves which means that none of their characters can include guns anymore (not just McFarlane, it affects other companies as well e.g. Mafex had to drop a "bang" gun from their Hush Joker figure that was in all the promo pics)

Todd has gotten around this by releasing a "Weapon Pack" on his own and the weapons included fit the DC Multiverse figures

https://mcfarlane.com/toys/mcfarlane...unitions-pack/
    I saw that weapon pack, but resented having to buy it just for two pistols for Grifter, since I don't collect McFarlane figures and was already thinking about making this custom. But I appreciate Todd offering it as an option for collectors of the whole line, working around the weird DC/WB mandate. I remember one of his earliest alt-Batman figures was absolutely COVERED in guns, and then that edict came down.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Extraordinary Member

Okay Neca you gotta do better. WTF is up with this face sculpt? Everybody else in the line is comic/cartoon accurate. Is he supposed to be one of Ming's henchmen? What kind of facial expression is that?

Extraordinary Member

I mean I bought it cause i like the buck. and figured I could do a head swap. But damn...

Extraordinary Member

Luckily Hasbro came thru to save the day. Now that classic RB head is a perfect fit.