• Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    rut a lot of people will give you flack for talking ish about jean but let me be one to say I think a lot of what you say is spot on. I think for the jean it's great that writers will explore her abilities without the Phoenix but I think its absolutely absurd to believe it was holding her back. and it's going to be difficult to showcase how powerful she is and also highlight storm as the hadari yao. I'm cautiously optimistic but I think a lot of your observations are valid.
    It just really bothers me how Marvel is going to far as to even tell this blatant lie about the PF holding Jean back as a excuse to try and focus on her all the while ignoring years of canon that refutes the lie, while we see Storm being weakened before our eyes. In the 90s, rather than acknowledging Storm's unlimited potential, Marvel went so far as to not only weaken Ororo, but establish Iceman to have unlimited potential over Ororo. I mean, really? Storm had unlimited potential from the start, but this was ignored.

There is something wrong within the psyche of Marvel, and it's a deep-seated problem. I mean, if we were talking about a black character like Cargil/Frenzy, then of course I could understand Marvel not featuring her as prominantly as they would Jean Grey. Cargil will never have the readership popularity to compete with Jean, so from a business viewpoint, it would make more sense to scale back a character like that for Jean. However, in Ororo's case, when she is well-written, her popularity is second only to Wolverine's with Gambit being her only other potential rival in this regard. When you have a character so beloved by the fans, you prop that character up, and make sure you write them well. That would only be the business common-sense thing to do. However, Marvel abandons basic, common-sense sound reasoning when it comes to Ororo.

While I am not the type to play the "race card" frequently, I have started to claim racial prejudice in their treatment of Storm only after years of recognizing this trend. It is not a conclusion I arrived at in a short amount of time, either, but only after years of observation. There is no other logical explanation I can come up with for why Marvel would be doing what they do in regards to Storm's character. You better believe that if Jean had the backstory Ororo had where her lineage went back to the dawn of humanity, and her ancestors could wield magic, and even had sorcerer supremes in her lineage, all of this stuff would have been fleshed out long ago with her character in a grand way. We are just starting to see the surface of this scratched with Ororo in BP, of all places, where she isn't even part of the permanent cast. Then, on top of this, Guggenheim tries to undermine this in the X-books by giving Storm a hammer? Anybody can wield a hammer if it's made for them, so anything Ororo does with hammer does not make her special, as it's the hammer doing everything. Not only that, but Storm's own innate power levels have been shown in some stories to be more powerful than a hammer. Guggenheim is just trying to devalue the true potential of the character by giving her this trinket.

I won't spend a dime on any of this crap!
    Last edited by rutog98; 06-06-2018 at 09:48 AM.