10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Art pic of Adam Gorham's work (via his instagram, links provided) for BP #15.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcENRwlT5L/

I'm sorry but feats are so boring to me. I try to care but I just can't bring myself to do it

BANNED

Its 60% powers and feats and 40% characterization. If all I cared about was characterization, I would stick to Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The problem is that the threat level she would normally face doesn't match her ultimate capabilities. Honestly what could the FoH or the Purifiers actually do to stop Storm? What could Sentinels actually do? The feats that she can do are great but when she's capable of some of the things that writers are having her do, where's the sense of danger for Storm? The threats are no longer a challenge to her.

All the heroes you mentioned in your earlier post have had their powers diminished. And the threats they face on a daily basis are threats powerful enough go toe to toe with them. Again, all of them with the exception of Magneto are brawlers/melee fighters. Storm is an energy manipulator. How many villains are there on her level that she can face on a regular basis if they continue to write her as uber-powerful to the point she's unbeatable? That's pretty much the reason why Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Ms Marvel and Wonder Woman continue to get solo pushes. They are brawler/melee fighters who's physical strength/fighting skills can be manipulated up or down to make fit whatever story is needed and they really won't take a hit.

Storm being an energy manipulator makes it harder for a writer to be creative when writing her so the easy way out is for them to do the omega level thing to show how powerful she is but they never brought her back down. She's constantly at that level against foes who should stand no chance against her. After awhile it's no longer a challenge. Fans will wonder why she didn't pull this feat against this person when she's done it before with no problem.

1.) I agree with the points you are making but the lack of suitable threats does not excuse the lack of creativity with the use of her powers.

2.) Storm not having a solo I think is more about marvel not having the full rights to xmen, her first solo not doing well, and marvel just not being interested in her. I mean we have Iceman, and jean with solos and they are not melee fighters.

3.) I agree but it's a writers job to do the necessary homework to make these stories work. I don't need her to to high end feats all the time but showing her throw lightning every time is just lazy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Its 60% powers and feats and 40% characterization. If all I cared about was characterization, I would stick to Shakespeare.
    totally agree with this. I want power display and characterization. that's why I read comics.

I like both but I prefer characterization a bit more. For me I would say its 75-80% characterization and 20-25% feats. Characterization is an ongoing thing for me. Its a constant. It's there for Storm whether she's leading a battle or grabbing a bite to eat. As dynamic character, Storm's characterization should always be evolving/growing. Feats are always welcome of course but I don't need to see a brand new one every issue.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I prefer when a writer gets creative and thinks outside of the box, instead of a huge feat. Huge feats are only great when used sparingly.

For example, Storm is proficient at martial arts so why not incorporate the weather to it. Like a punch creating a mini tornado to blast some away, cladding herself in lighting while fighting hand-to-hand or making a wind dagger or something like that. It'd be a nice change of pace from the usual being stationary and raising arms to call down the elements.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I prefer when a writer gets creative and thinks outside of the box, instead of a huge feat. Huge feats are only great when used sparingly.

For example, Storm is proficient at martial arts so why not incorporate the weather to it. Like a punch creating a mini tornado to blast some away, cladding herself in lighting while fighting hand-to-hand or making a wind dagger or something like that. It'd be a nice change of pace from the usual being stationary and raising arms to call down the elements.
    She's done that before in X-treme X-men during the Arena arc IIRC.
    EDIT: She's also did it in her solo.
    ----
    I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this but I'd pick feats over characterization. I like when characters have these uber feats that show what they are really capable of. IMO one reason Storm gets so much flack in the 'how powerfull she really is department' BECAUSE her bigger feats are sporadic.
    Last edited by Son_Of_A_Goddess; 06-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.

BANNED

100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

let me ask you this. when was the last time we got a big or huge feat from Storm that wasn't in her solo?

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I like both but I prefer characterization a bit more. For me I would say its 75-80% characterization and 20-25% feats. Characterization is an ongoing thing for me. Its a constant. It's there for Storm whether she's leading a battle or grabbing a bite to eat. As dynamic character, Storm's characterization should always be evolving/growing. Feats are always welcome of course but I don't need to see a brand new one every issue.
    I agree with this. I'm not saying power displays are bad, it just gets real old real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    let me ask you this. when was the last time we got a big or huge feat from Storm that wasn't in her solo?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Feats are for Fools. Storm's most impressive and defining victories were often won without powers at all (Callisto, Cyclops, Marrow). All REAL Storm fans know this though.
    I wouldn't say that at all. Feats for the sake of feats are ridiculous. If a character is involved in a great story and at the end of a great struggle, they do something awesome then that is a rewarding moment for the character and the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by crimz View Post
    lmaooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I wouldn't say that at all. Feats for the sake of feats are ridiculous. If a character is involved in a great story and at the end of a great struggle, they do something awesome then that is a rewarding moment for the character and the fans.
    Bite your tongue! After dealing with lightning lass for YEARS I'd love for Storm to have a flurry of feats just to make up for lost time.