• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Ok.

So, I've actually tweeted Ms Bartel about making her Storm art a variant cover.

I hope it won't be expensive

I want her first issue to have a lot of variant covers.

Which makes me ask...

1. How many variant covers do you want on the first Storm ongoing solo?

2. Do you actually want a freebie included on the first issue? If yes, what and why?

3. Which artists do you want to draw a Storm art for variant covers?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-29-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I don't watch "The Walking Dead", so I don't know the character you are talking about.

What I am saying is its wonderful if Storm's image does incorporate her ethnic heritage, but let it be something that also has wide consumer appeal. Both can be accomplished. It needn't be an either/or thing.

Bottom line is I don't really buy comics anymore and I haven't bought them since the first few issues of the Lemire run. I am currently buying the Cable story arc that started last month only because Selene is featured in it (I like Selene). Once this arc is finished, I will go back to not buying another single comic until the "Storm" title comes out (and I will only continue to buy the current Cable story arc as long as Selene is prominently featured in it).

I am a die-hard Storm fan. The reason I don't buy X-Men comics is because Storm is being badly written down in the series to prop up other characters, and this has been going on for years. I believe that there is a racist core to the way she has been devalued in the comics over the years to prop up her teammates even if the editors and writers are not cognizant of it themselves (this is especially the case where Jean Grey is concerned...literally, anytime Jean is on the team, Storm's power levels takes a nosedive and she loses her mental defenses against telepathic attacks all to prop up Jean Grey). Heck, before her solo series with Pak, I took something like a 1 or 2-year hiatus from comics not even really frequenting the boards because of the way she was written. I see this solo Storm series as my only chance to enjoy my favorite fictional character of all times once again and this will be the only title I buy regularly regardless of the quality of the series be it good or bad or whether or not I like the artistic rendering of the character. I will support the book whatever may come. While I don't think she needs to be "white-washed" etc., I think she needs to have a lot of appeal for this title to stick around, otherwise, I will lose my only chance to enjoy the character.

Maybe that Walking Dead character you mentioned is a hit with a wide range of viewers. I don't know. What I do know, however, is I want Storm's book to succeed whatever her hairstyle is or however she looks.

Edit: I also bought the Black Panther issues earlier this year where Storm appeared (Coates did a good job with her) and I got BP and the Crew.
    I don't doubt your support of Storm at all.

And I agree, that it shouldn't be an either or thing with Storm's. But Storm wearing dreads or braids doesn't lessen her appeal. Her character, her abilities and her beauty(inside and out) are what draws people to her just like with any other character. She should be free to be who she wants and to look how she wants without the constraint of what the masses think, fickle as they are.

If anyone is turned off by a Storm solo because she has braids or dreads then that is a serious problem on their part because they are judging her based on how she looks rather than who she is.

Appealing to the masses doesn't guarantee success nor does it indicate that a character is truly appealing. If Marvel wanted to appeal to the masses, they could have her running around half-naked doing cheesecake shots.

But that isn't who Ororo is and not a character I want to read about.

BANNED

The vibe I am getting from you is everybody must like one particular hairstyle or else they have a "British imperialistic" view. To make such an assertion is close-minded makes one lose their credibility. Look, some people out there be against this particular hairstyle for the wrong reason simply because its ethnic. I totally understand and it would be the wrong reason to dislike it. For others, however, its simply a matter of personal preference.

The reason I bring up braids is because (a) it is related to dreadlocks and (b) it is a hairstyle that reflects Ororo's heritage that not only I find appealing, but I think has mass appeal.
    You misunderstood my point then. I don't think everyone needs to like Storm with dreads in order to avoid the "British imperialistic" label. I'm saying those that who have expressed themselves the way you have about dreads are victims of racism (white supremacy). The way you view Storm makes her a victim of it. That's what I'm saying.

BANNED

Let me answer first.

1. How many variant covers do you want on the first Storm ongoing solo? > More than 10 even if that means spending all my money on my payday, lol

2. Do you actually want a freebie included on the first issue? If yes, what and why? > Yes, a cool lanyard with a picture of Storm with lightning and states " I am a Storm fan "
    A small card calendar 2018 with Storm image is also fine.

- Stephanie Hans
    - Victor Ibanez jr
    - Diogenes Neves
    - Mike Deodato Jr
    - Mark Brooks
    - Simone Bianchi
    - Marc Silvestri
    - Daniel Acuna
    - George Perez
    - David Finch
    -Todd Mcfarlane
    -Erica Henderson
    - and I wanna give psy ( a poster here from CBR) a chance to draw for a variant cover for Storm #1 too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Let me answer first.

1. How many variant covers do you want on the first Storm ongoing solo? > More than 10 even if that means spending all my money on my payday, lol

2. Do you actually want a freebie included on the first issue? If yes, what and why? > Yes, a cool lanyard with a picture of Storm with lightning and states " I am a Storm fan "
    A small card calendar 2018 with Storm image is also fine.

- Stephanie Hans
    - Victor Ibanez jr
    - Diogenes Neves
    - Mike Deodato Jr
    - Mark Brooks
    - Simone Bianchi
    - Marc Silvestri
    - Daniel Acuna
    - George Perez
    - David Finch
    -Todd Mcfarlane
    -Erica Henderson
    - and I wanna give psy ( a poster here from CBR) a chance to draw for a variant cover for Storm #1 too.
    I like this idea. Good marketing idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I love Storm, but your enthusiasm puts me to shame! I'm glad we were able to clear up the misunderstanding (which was mostly on my part).

If Storm gets to cut loose, her enemies will be roasted so fast and so thoroughly they won't get the chance to think or feel anything but humbled.
    Did I ever tell you that you're my favorite Cyclops fan? You make me wanna be a more open and honest fan myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Better groups include
    House of Storm
    X-men Storm
    Some of the others told me about this select group called clapping thunder thighs.

Check it out for Storm yumminess devoid of anti blackness.
    Umm... the person that came up with the clapping thunder thigh name, although very enthusiastic about Storm, has said some very disparaging things about Storm, her race and other people of that race. No thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hey rutog.

I'd like to address a statement made in your post. Are you saying that a character's image needs to be managed so that appeals to the masses? That Storm having dreads would "turn off" the masses? If that is the case, how do you explain the popularity of Michonne in The Walking Dead? She doesn't look unappealing and has quite the following.

We've seen what Hollywood and comics have done to appeal to the masses before when it comes to minorities: white-washing, race-bending, noble negro etc.

I'm not saying that this is what you are endorsing but going down the road of altering a character to appeal to the masses, especially a minority character, is not something that minority consumers are going to put up with.
    You're not mistaken. That's essentially what's happening. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Did I ever tell you that you're my favorite Cyclops fan? You make me wanna be a more open and honest fan myself.

You're not mistaken. That's essentially what's happening. Sad but true.
    Thank you! I don't want to shy away from being a Cyclops fan, even though I understand there are plenty of people who dislike the character, for good and bad reasons. If someone says they don't like him I'll try to engage with them, because they might learn something - or I might learn something. There's so much I still have yet to read about Cyke, and there's so much I have yet to read about Storm, but I look forward to reading all of it.Maybe just most of it, I have bills...

Michonne (and Daryll) was one of the best characters of the Walking Dead, when I still watched it.

BANNED

I like this idea. Good marketing idea.
    Thanks a lot. But i forgot to include black artists and the ones ive mentioned, some of them i actually dont know how they look. But i want some black artists doing variant covers for Storm too.

And we really need very popular black celebrities to promote the album. I hope Oprah Winfrey would as well as Beyonce and Rihanna and... Drake!

And most especially, we need Marvel to have Loot Crate promote Storm #1. Im not sure if Loot Crate is still doing well but they will help more sales a lot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Thank you! I don't want to shy away from being a Cyclops fan, even though I understand there are plenty of people who dislike the character, for good and bad reasons. If someone says they don't like him I'll try to engage with them, because they might learn something - or I might learn something. There's so much I still have yet to read about Cyke, and there's so much I have yet to read about Storm, but I look forward to reading all of it.Maybe just most of it, I have bills...

Michonne (and Daryll) was one of the best characters of the Walking Dead, when I still watched it.
    They can make a good pairing you know?

BANNED

I have a question for everyone: How do we build a community here?
    Destroy whatever that doesn’t work or hinders the community from growing. Then we start anew. A community is strong when EVERYONE is on the same page.

BANNED

Where are the Storm fans?

Timberjack, where are you?
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 10-27-2017 at 11:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    You misunderstood my point then. I don't think everyone needs to like Storm with dreads in order to avoid the "British imperialistic" label. I'm saying those that who have expressed themselves the way you have about dreads are victims of racism (white supremacy). The way you view Storm makes her a victim of it. That's what I'm saying.
    I cannot agree with that sentiment. The way you make this assertion is too absolute. While I agree I could have worded my preference for hairstyles other than certain dread styles better, to say that because somebody may think that a particular hairdo looks "unclean" to them means they are a victim of racism as an absolute truth is not so. You will never find a black person who likes every single african/african-american hairstyle. If a black person tells me that they like every single black hairdo or that they don't find any black hairstyle "gross", I won't believe them. This is the same with any race, to be honest. I have had plenty of whites tell me about certain hairstyles other whites wear that they find "gross" or "unclean" looking...and these are hairstyles mostly worn by whites. People have personal preferences and they react to things in their own unique way. Some may be motivated by a form of racism that can color their views, but not every case can be blanketed like that.

When I made my statement earlier, I wasn't thinking about the fact that some people on here may wear the style. At the time, I was merely thinking of it on Storm, a fictional character and about some of the rumors floating around about Bob Marley. There are some who say Bob Marley had a lot of different bugs in his hair. Of course, there are others who refute such claims about Marley and the hairstyle. So, I probably stepped on some toes in the way I phrased my dislike for the hairstyle. When a person looks at a hairstyle like this: http://www.bobmarley.com/wp-content/...03322259_n.jpg, to be honest, it can lead one to wonder, "How in the world do you keep that clean?" There are blacks who have voiced such a question and these are people who are comfortable with themselves (in other words, they aren't some bad words I don't want to type on here). However, to be fair, when that question is posed, its usually done with a tone that reflects a dislike for the style rather than trying to find out how its kept clean. Personally, I genuinely wondered myself for a while. I keep my hair with a very low buzz cut so I don't have to spend too much time on it.
    Last edited by rutog98; 10-28-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    ANYWAY

The X-Men’s victory against the might of Scythian has come at a cost…which might kill them all!
    • How can the X-Men survive on a barren planet?
    • You DO NOT want to miss the status quo-altering final page!

Attachment 56994

January's Gold Solic.

Looks like Storm will be alone and maybe get some VERY VERY VERY much needed attention.
    Looks like a bait. A favor. A token.

Looks like someone was feeling the wrath of fans of how their favorite character has been disgraced, and throw them scraps like dogs to see if that would quell them temporarily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Looks like a bait. A favor. A token.

Looks like someone was feeling the wrath of fans of how their favorite character has been disgraced, and throw them scraps like dogs to see if that would quell them temporarily.
    Is the barren planet referring to Earth? so its like they won but comes with a cause making the Earth prolly uninhabitable by people. And perhaps Storm will make a planetary feat to make the world living again? cant wait for the issue to arrive.

I cannot agree with that sentiment. The way you make this assertion is too absolute. While I agree I could have worded my preference for hairstyles other than certain dread styles better, to say that because somebody may think that a particular hairdo looks "unclean" to them means they are a victim of racism as an absolute truth is not so. You will never find a black person who likes every single african/african-american hairstyle. If a black person tells me that they like every single black hairdo or that they don't find any black hairstyle "gross", I won't believe them. This is the same with any race, to be honest. I have had plenty of whites tell me about certain hairstyles other whites wear that they find "gross" or "unclean" looking...and these are hairstyles mostly worn by whites. People have personal preferences and they react to things in their own unique way. Some may be motivated by a form of racism that can color their views, but not every case can be blanketed like that.

When I made my statement earlier, I wasn't thinking about the fact that some people on here may wear the style. At the time, I was merely thinking of it on Storm, a fictional character and about some of the rumors floating around about Bob Marley. There are some who say Bob Marley had a lot of different bugs in his hair. Of course, there are others who refute such claims about Marley and the hairstyle. So, I probably stepped on some toes in the way I phrased my dislike for the hairstyle. When a person looks at a hairstyle like this: http://www.bobmarley.com/wp-content/...03322259_n.jpg, to be honest, it can lead one to wonder, "How in the world do you keep that clean?" There are blacks who have voiced such a question and these are people who are comfortable with themselves (in other words, they aren't some bad words I don't want to type on here). However, to be fair, when that question is posed, its usually done with a tone that reflects a dislike for the style rather than trying to find out how its kept clean. Personally, I genuinely wondered myself for a while. I keep my hair with a very low buzz cut so I don't have to spend too much time on it.
    To be honest I have never had a conversation discussing someones hairstyle and saying it was unclean. Nor have I heard a conversation like this before Ifind the comment very bizzare. And agree with BBreeyan that a comment like that is probably due to some sort of social brainwashing

Last edited by ExodusCloak; 10-28-2017 at 04:23 AM.