7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xfire2k13 View Post
    A non- Storm fan is writing her now! LOL
    he swears he is though lol. the moment with oml didn't make up for her falling asleep all the time. I didn't get why oml left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    There is an afro Latina anime that is the gold standard for women. It pulled no punches and developed the lead well. There is a lot out there.
    name??
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Absolutely, especially in terms of treating Storm, a woman, with good characterization. Naruto and DBZ have mediocre characterization for women at best, and you can count them all on one hand. And I'm a fan of both series. Not to mention the problem of escalation that is being invited with the DBZ comparison.

Regardless, Storm deserves better than us settling for "woman in Shonen" characterization.
    Ah yes, "escalation" is the word I was looking for and that's my main issue. The settings and characters sure have their charms and quirks but the story usually boils down to... hero meets incredibly powerful villain, trains to get even more powerful (and sometimes gets a new hair color), villain goes "this can't be!!!", repeat. You can only come up with so many fancy power levels before it gets tired. From what I've seen, Naruto is a bit less formulaic but still the same trope.

I just NEED this solo to happen. I cannot.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I loved full metal alchemists!!
    It's so~ good. Winry, Hawkeye, Olivier, Izumi, Lan Fan, May, etc. are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by xfire2k13 View Post
    A non- Storm fan is writing her now! LOL
    lol That's a good one.

There is an afro Latina anime that is the gold standard for women. It pulled no punches and developed the lead well. There is a lot out there.
    Woah, which one is that?

BANNED

he swears he is though lol. the moment with oml didn't make up for her falling asleep all the time. I didn't get why oml left.

name??

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    I just NEED this solo to happen. I cannot.
    right.... can u imagine what a sh!tstorm this would be if we didn't have coates writing her?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I LOVE this series!
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

I've never seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Ah yes, "escalation" is the word I was looking for and that's my main issue. The settings and characters sure have their charms and quirks but the story usually boils down to... hero meets incredibly powerful villain, trains to get even more powerful (and sometimes gets a new hair color), villain goes "this can't be!!!", repeat. You can only come up with so many fancy power levels before it gets tired. From what I've seen, Naruto is a bit less formulaic but still the same trope.
    Yep, escalation is a problem that I think even Storm would be hard-pressed to overcome. Avatar: The Last Airbender had the right idea when it came to power-scaling; end the story when the hero (or heroine) achieves their full power/potential. Of course, Storm's home universe prevents her journey from ever truly ending...

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Which I NEVER understood. How is it that writers Struggle to handle one of the X-men's Big Powerhouse on a team setting, but characters like Thor, Hulk, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash do fine on teams.
    I am so Confused.......Storm personally I don't think is that hard to write.
    Storm isn't hard to write and yes she should be powerful.

And some those characters you mentioned have been powered down. Thor could time travel and open portals to other dimensions. Superman has been powered down. The Hulk's motto has always been the madder he gets the stronger he gets but he hasn't gained any new powers.

People are confusing not wanting an over-powered Storm to wanting a weak Storm and not being able to write stories that have a balance of character and powerful feats.

That's not the case at all. I want to see Storm do incredible scenes but I don't want some new power added every time she shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Exactly. Well said.

so what canonically has storm that you guys think made her too over powered? or has everything she has done so far in her power set?

BANNED

so what canonically has storm that you guys think made her too over powered? or has everything she has done so far in her power set?
    She's not. I know you weren't talking to me but I don't see her as overpowered. She can come up a few levels tbh. No one says blue marvel is overpowered or Thor or...

Again, I never said that Storm is over-powered, none of my posts have said this.

I said that I don't want Storm getting new powers to the point of it being ridiculous. It becomes more about what new power she has and what is the next feat than it is about writing a good story.

I said that there can be a balance to both and character and power. But when the power becomes more important than the character then I don't care to read it.

That's why I don't read Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Again, I never said that Storm is over-powered, none of my posts have said this.

I said that I don't want Storm getting new powers to the point of it being ridiculous. It becomes more about what new power she has and what is the next feat than it is about writing a good story.

I said that there can be a balance to both and character and power. But when the power becomes more important than the character then I don't care to read it.

That's why I don't read Batman.

I know I was just curious if there were any showings this far that fans think are too much. for instance I've seen some people say she should only control weather and nothing beyond that.

is Batman written as unbeatable?? don't really read dc books often.