• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    It's not a problem unique to Storm. As others have pointed out, other characters suffer from the same treatment. The answer is simple however: These aren't stories they want to tell.

I remember once reading an interview with an X-Men editor, (I think it was Storm fan Daniel Ketchum, but don't quote me on that), and the question was asked about continuity and the story conflict. The answer was basically ignore continuity in favor of the story.

The writers will ignore whatever factors they need to in order to tell the story that they want to tell. If it's that Storm can't control weather on a space station, well then that's what they'll write. If it's that Storm is powerless when in hell and there is no weather, well then that's what they'll write.

It's a terrible mindset that fosters lazy writing and does the fans and characters a disservice. Maintaining continuity should be a major function of editorial staff. When writers get to ignore a character's history anytime it doesn't fit their current story, we end up with the mess that is now Marvel comics.
    And the issue it causes with discussions like this when there's a version of a character that fits every single argument or objection.

Random example. Lets say you have a villain or despicable character. One thing they'd never partake in would be statutory rape. Then another writer comes along and writes them as a pedophile & child molester. Which version do you go with? Because you've just been told 2 drastically different things. Subject of racial debates. If a character is introduced as one thing, but becomes something else. Do you stick with the original, or go with what it's been changed to?

Huge problems with understanding characters when they change at the drop of a hat. Retcons happen so often, we as fan are put in the awkward spot of having to pick our own canon based on our own reasons. There's so much different stuff. And it all can't fit.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-14-2018 at 06:09 PM.

It's not a problem unique to Storm. As others have pointed out, other characters suffer from the same treatment. The answer is simple however: These aren't stories they want to tell.

I remember once reading an interview with an X-Men editor, (I think it was Storm fan Daniel Ketchum, but don't quote me on that), and the question was asked about continuity and the story conflict. The answer was basically ignore continuity in favor of the story.

The writers will ignore whatever factors they need to in order to tell the story that they want to tell. If it's that Storm can't control weather on a space station, well then that's what they'll write. If it's that Storm is powerless when in hell and there is no weather, well then that's what they'll write.

It's a terrible mindset that fosters lazy writing and does the fans and characters a disservice. Maintaining continuity should be a major function of editorial staff. When writers get to ignore a character's history anytime it doesn't fit their current story, we end up with the mess that is now Marvel comics.
    See:
    Civil War
    Secret Invasion
    Schism
    Messiah Complex
    AvX
    IvX
    Time Runs Out
    Civil War II

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    And the issue it causes with discussions like this when there's a version of a character that fits every single argument or objection.

Random example. Lets say you have a villain or despicable character. One thing they'd never partake in would be statutory rape. Then another writer comes along and writes them as a pedophile & child molester. Which version do you go with? Because you've just been told 2 drastically different things. Subject of racial debates. If a character is introduced as one thing, but becomes something else. Do you stick with the original, or go with what it's been changed to?

Huge problems with understanding characters when they change at the drop of a hat.
    Yup. The worst thing to do to a character is make him/her inconsistent. That's when they lose credibility with the fans.

There should be a certain set of principles that define a character no matter what.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Well, there's your answer.

Are they already appreciating Coates writing on the Storm/BP pairing or they still dont like Coates completely?

Anyway, fellow Storm fans, please list down your top 5 favorite Storm pairing on this thread: http://community.comicbookresources....-Storm-pairing

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Are they already appreciating Coates writing on the Storm/BP pairing or they still dont like Coates completely?

Anyway, fellow Storm fans, please list down your top 5 favorite Storm pairing on this thread: http://community.comicbookresources....-Storm-pairing
    You would need ask other BP fans their opinion.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Agreed with all of this. It's all a damn shame.

They were just happy to have her back, regardless of how much wallpaper she's become.

Like I said, if you set your standards low and accept the isht they give you, then all you'll get is isht.
    Exactly. And isht is definitely what they are getting.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

You would need ask other BP fans their opinion.
    Can you post the link to the bp thread please.

Can you post the link to the bp thread please.
    Why do I need to post the link?

You're more than welcome to do so if you want opinions.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

Huge problems with understanding characters when they change at the drop of a hat. Retcons happen so often, we as fan are put in the awkward spot of having to pick our own canon based on our own reasons. There's so much different stuff. And it all can't fit.
    I think in Storm's case at least, the example of changing at the drop of a hat doesn't work. Claremont has multiple stories that spanned from her introduction I'm the mid 70s until the early 2000s explaining how her powers work. To then have later writers come and write contradictory stories after years and years of writing is just bad and lazy writing, so in her case it is definitely not a thing of fans having distinguished between which version is true as the stuff that doesn't fit hasn't been around nearly as long as the original established mythos.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-14-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Why do I need to post the link?

You're more than welcome to do so if you want opinions.
    Let's just say im not allowed to post there

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Storm looks so unbothered
    Of course. Storm is clearly more beautiful, more powerful and would be a great asset to Wakanda.

The moment BP meets Storm in the movie, Nakia will be ignored.

BANNED

I really dont like the fact that other individual ongoing solo will come first before Storm's second solo will be released. It will affect sales.

But then again, I have faith and confidence in Mr Coates.

BANNED

It would be interesting if The Ancient One and Ayesha had a relationship.

BP fans were very supportive of the marriage so they weren't the reason that it ended. But thanks to the shitty antics of the X-office, we were turned off by anything X-related.

Even, I turned on Storm. But, I came to realize that it was a mistake on my part to blame her for the dumb isht the X-offices does. This doesn't mean I'm endorsing them being together but it wouldn't bother me either way.

I just want both characters treated with respect and written correctly. That's why I'm back posting in her thread again. I'm a Storm fan.
    I see. Or maybe I don't... What did the X-office do, specifically?

I think the main problem is it's very hard to properly write larger than life characters like Storm into a book without completely overshadowing the title character or downgrading her. As we've seen, it can also be an issue in team books but the difference is no one expects every member to be on equal footing. Storm should be more competent and powerful than Kitty (and not take a nap every other issue).

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Being a sexually free character is not the issue. Ororo has only been sexually linked to Tchalla, forge, and trollverine. I'm sure he has been attached to a lot more than just three women. That aside that was not the point I was making. My point of saying she was his trophy is in response to some storm fans who said she was Tchalla trophy wife when marriedand that is why she should be back with the xmen. The thing is once these fans got their wish she was regulated to taking orders from sh!tclops and trollverine, then she became headmistress by sleeping with the troll. Smthe things these fans said were happening in BP book when they were married was actually happening in the xbooks yet I never saw these same fans openly discuss their anger as they did when they were married.
    Why would you only count the conquests she actually slept with (that we know of anyway)? Did T'challa only sleep with three women? Why does it matter if sexual freedom isn't the issue?
    I can't speak for those who made the trophy wife comments but to me the "wife" part was a big deal because it involved binding Storm to a character from another franchise, with more editorial consequences than her banging someone she already shared bathrooms with. And many fans complained. It's not like Aaron's run was widely acclaimed.

But IIRC, Kitty offered Ororo the headmistress position before she slept with the troll. And she didn't take orders from Cyclops after the annulment. She was in the line to slap him in the face for everything that went wrong during AvX even though she and most of the X-men willingly followed him, even after he got possessed by the PF, which he never asked for to begin with. That, I think, made her and the other X-men look bad.

BP fans and Storm fans should support each other.
    I really don't see why. I'm all for BP fans getting books they enjoy, unless it gets in the way of me getting books I enjoy. I certainly didn't enjoy Coates' take on Storm in the Crew.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 03-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.