• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
Page 3427 of 3522 FirstFirst ... 2427292733273377341734233424342534263427342834293430343134373477 ... LastLast
Results 51,391 to 51,405 of 52830
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    While the solo seems off in the distance, I am pleased with the way Storm is being portrayed in Black Panther as well as X-men: Red.
    yes I'm loving black panther. the verdicts still out on red but I'm hopeful.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    exactly. truth be told a storm book released now would bomb. they need to do this strategically and thoughtfully to ensure they have a strong audience for the title.
    In all reality-it wouldn't.

I mean in terms of black female lead books-who else is out there besides Moon Girl, Black AF (soon), Motor Crush (on hold for now) and 2 other books whose names I can't remember.

The difference between the Pak version and now is you have her foundation laid out and you have a WRITER who has shown interest in her and backed it up.

This is not Cyborg where no one knows what to do outside of man versus machine. You have material for her.

If you do one around say August-you aim for that trade to come out in March.

Why? Because if I am Marvel and Carol's movie is slated to come out.

I would FEMALE EMPOWERMENT THE CRAP out of that month.

Ensure female lead title trades come out that month-including Storm. Because when someone gets interest in Carol and goes looking for female lead trades-Storm is there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    In all reality-it wouldn't.

I mean in terms of black female lead books-who else is out there besides Moon Girl, Black AF (soon), Motor Crush (on hold for now) and 2 other books whose names I can't remember.

The difference between the Pak version and now is you have her foundation laid out and you have a WRITER who has shown interest in her and backed it up.

This is not Cyborg where no one knows what to do outside of man versus machine. You have material for her.

If you do one around say August-you aim for that trade to come out in March.

Why? Because if I am Marvel and Carol's movie is slated to come out.

I would FEMALE EMPOWERMENT THE CRAP out of that month.

Ensure female lead title trades come out that month-including Storm. Because when someone gets interest in Carol and goes looking for female lead trades-Storm is there.
    dont get me wrong I'm one of the biggest storm shippers here but just based upon her last solo I dont see any evidence this book would do any differently now. the titles where she was written very well Rise of the panther, Black Panther and the Crew all sold with mediocre sales and it wasnt even a solo book. That said if captain marvel can keep getting solos, storm should as well.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Rise of the Panther #5 and BP and the Crew are in no way indicative of Storm's solo potential.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Rise of the Panther #5 and BP and the Crew are in no way indicative of Storm's solo potential.
    a storm centric title that does poorly isnt indicative of her potential solo sales? how so?
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.

a storm centric title that does poorly isnt indicative of her potential solo sales? how so?
    Are you serious? Neither were promoted nor titled "Storm" comics. They are both BP books, and fringe BP books at that. Their poor sales are indicative of his franchise, not Storm's.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

We can talk about potential forever. Almost every character has the potential to be big, but realizing that potential in this market will take a lot and honestly right now isn't the time for her book.
    It would likely bomb like Pak's did. As said before she needs exposure in other books out in the MU first. Show everyone why she deserves a book and how kick ass it could be, people are more conservative with books they will potentially get and Storm is not at her most popular right now. There needs to be a push for her regain at least some of her previous popularity and then release the solo.

Marvel really dropped the ball by not giving her one in the 90s. We might not be having these kind of discussions if they did.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Are you serious? Neither were promoted nor titled "Storm" comics. They are both BP books, and fringe BP books at that. Their poor sales are indicative of his franchise, not Storm's.
    yes very serious. many make the arguement storm being included on titles are reasons those book sale. when you have her face smacked on the cover it doesnt really need to have her name. also bp&c was heavily marketed and storm inclusion in its title was a selling point. you can make the argument it wasnt a storm book but storm was very visible which is why coates got so much praise and was told he could write her future solo.

The Crew barely had Black Panther in it so that's not any indication at all. BP fans saw the book for what it truly was, a stealth title.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 06-05-2018 at 07:39 PM.

yes very serious. many make the arguement storm being included on titles are reasons those book sale. when you have her face smacked on the cover it doesnt really need to have her name. also bp&c was heavily marketed and storm inclusion in its title was a selling point. you can make the argument it wasnt a storm book but storm was very visible which is why coates got so much praise and was told he could write her future solo.
    The problem was what is exactly was BP and The Crew supposed to be?

If it were just titled BP & Storm and just had those two as the stars, it would have done better

The last book lacked promo too. We were on issue #5 and people didn't even know sis had a book
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The problem was what is exactly was BP and The Crew supposed to be?

If it were just titled BP & Storm and just had those two as the stars, it would have done better
    I'm not sure what it was supposed to be but when a book where marvels top african/ African American characters dont sale that is a problem.

and I'm not sure it would have. I just havent seen any evidence of this.

now after the black panther movie I think a book like this would do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    We can talk about potential forever. Almost every character has the potential to be big, but realizing that potential in this market will take a lot and honestly right now isn't the time for her book.
    It would likely bomb like Pak's did. As said before she needs exposure in other books out in the MU first. Show everyone why she deserves a book and how kick ass it could be, people are more conservative with books they will potentially get and Storm is not at her most popular right now. There needs to be a push for her regain at least some of her previous popularity and then release the solo.

Marvel really dropped the ball by not giving her one in the 90s. We might not be having these kind of discussions if they did.
    I agree with all of this.

BANNED

On Storm's solo being a hit or miss, I can't say for certain if her getting a solo title right now would sink or swim. What I do know, however, is they are not going to be showcasing her in any of the X-Men team books. X-Men Blue is all about Kitty, a B-lister character, so an A-lister like Ororo is naturally going to be written down to prop up that character. X-Men Red is all about Jean Grey. Since Jean can't compete with a well-written Storm, Ororo is going to be written down in favor of Jean.

I don't know why Storm fans are so excited about Storm appearing in X-Men Red. So far, she has been weakened with her immunity to lightning being taken away from her, and she appears to have zero mental defenses. I don't buy that the only reason Nova and Jean could get into her head was because of the nannite infection. I believe this writer intends for Storm to be vulnerable to telepathic attacks.

That said, we are seeing a similar shape taking form right now over in Red that we saw in the 90s with Ororo, except this time, it is going to be much worse for Storm fans. The article I am about to link underscores the complaint I have already voiced about the X-Men Red Annual from the start:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-jean-g...mpression=true

So, what it looks like is this writer is going to be trying to explore how "powerful" Jean is without the PF. Not only is the claim he made in the issue a lie about the Phoenix Force holding Jean back (while being possessed by the PF, she did edit the timeline for an entire reality, and that was AFTER she reconstructed herself inside the sun itself, so she was by no means restrained in terms of power), but this also implies that Storm's power and potential will be scaled back in an effort to explore this obvious lie about actual canon with regards to Jean Grey's power. Storm has had the potential to wield unlimited power since the very early years of her creation, and she didn't need to be possessed by the Phoenix Force, nor did she require any external source of power to boost her to such levels. She wields that kind of power innately. This is a fact about Storm's character that is always abandoned whenever she and Jean are on the same team in favor of Jean's potential getting talked about all the time in those same instances. The reason this time around is going to be worse for Storm fans is for several reasons:

1) This is predominantly Jean's book. The only reason for the extra large cast is because Marvel saw how Jeen's solo title tanked. Jean has never matched the popularity of a well-written Storm (which is why they scale Ororo back, because they would rather readers prefer Jean over Ororo), so she could never be enough of a draw to a title to sell the book on her own at any point in her career. Giving her a huge supporting cast is their way of trying to tap into other fanbases to get those fans to support what is really a Jean-centric book.

2) The writer obviously wants to prop up Jean as being the big gun in the title. Since a well-written Storm is actually much more powerful than Jean, Storm is going to be weakened tremendously. You mark my words, we have only seen the start of this.

3) For those who believe that a well-written Storm book would fail right now, even with good marketing, you feel that the character must first be propped up in other books to either remind or educate readers (if they are new) on how awesome of a character she really is. That's not going to happen in reality with all of this focus on Jean and Kitty. If anything, they are trying that strategy with one of those two women over Ororo. Marvel does not like how popular Storm is with the readership when she is well-written because she has too much melanin for their liking. They would rather their readers look up to a white female like Jean or Carol. My position is Marvel should write all of their characters well and let the fans choose from among those well-written characters who they prefer. The problem is we have already seen that scenario play out, and readers prefer a well-written Storm over any other well-written Marvel female by huge margins. Marvel evidently hates this, hence the VERY BAD handling/writing and weakening of Ororo's character over the last decade in the x-books.

4) Regarding Storm's solo, like I said months ago, expect it when you start seeing solicitations for it. There is still a big chance the project gets cancelled before it even has a chance to start.

Again, I don't understand all of this optimism about Storm appearing in X-Men Red. All the signs are pointing to propping up Jean while weakening and scaling back Ororo. This whole premise about the PF possessing holding back Jean's spits right in the face of long-established canon. Also, all of the canon about Storm's unlmited potential is going to be ignored in order to explore the lie told in X-Men Red Annual #1 about the PF holding back Jean's power.
    Last edited by rutog98; 06-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    On Storm's solo being a hit or miss, I can't say for certain if her getting a solo title right now would sink or swim. What I do know, however, is they are not going to be showcasing her in any of the X-Men team books. X-Men Blue is all about Kitty, a B-lister character, so an A-lister like Ororo is naturally going to be written down to prop up that character. X-Men Red is all about Jean Grey. Since Jean can't compete with a well-written Storm, Ororo is going to be written down in favor of Jean.

I don't know why Storm fans are so excited about Storm appearing in X-Men Red. So far, she has been weakened with her immunity to lightning being taken away from her, and she appears to have zero mental defenses. I don't buy that the only reason Nova and Jean could get into her head was because of the nannite infection. I believe this writer intends for Storm to be vulnerable to telepathic attacks.

That said, we are seeing a similar shape taking form right now over in Red that we saw in the 90s with Ororo, except this time, it is going to be much worse for Storm fans. The article I am about to link underscores the complaint I have already voiced about the X-Men Red Annual from the start:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-jean-g...mpression=true

So, what it looks like is this writer is going to be trying to explore how "powerful" Jean is without the PF. Not only is the claim he made in the issue a lie about the Phoenix Force holding Jean back (she did edit the timeline for an entire reality, and that was AFTER she reconstructed herself inside the sun itself, all while she was possessed by the PF, so she was by no means restrained in terms of power), but this also implies that Storm's power and potential will be scaled back in an effort to explore this lie with Jean Grey. Storm has had the potential to wield unlimited power since the very early years of her creation. This is a fact that is always abandoned whenever she and Jean are on the same team in favor of Jean's potential getting talked about all the time in those same instances. The reason this time around is going to be worse for Storm fans is for several reasons:

1) This is predominantly Jean's book. The only reason for the extra large cast is because Marvel saw how Jeen's solo title tanked. Jean has never matched the popularity of a well-written Storm (which is why they scale Ororo back, because they would rather readers prefer Jean over Ororo), so she could never be enough of a draw to a title to sell the book on her own at any point in her career. Giving her a huge supporting cast is their way of trying to tap into other fanbases to get them to support what is really a Jean-centric book.

2) The writer obviously wants to prop up Jean as being the big gun in the title. Since a well-written Storm is actually much more powerful than Jean, Storm is going to be weakened tremendously. You mark my words, we have only seen the start of this.

3) For those who believe that a well-written Storm book would fail right now, even with good marketing, you feel that the character must first be propped up in other books to either remind or educate readers (if they are new) on how awesome of a character she really is. That's not going to happen in reality with all of this focus on Jean and Kitty. If anything, they are trying that strategy with one of those two women over Ororo. Marvel does not like how popular Storm is with the readership when she is well-written because she has too much melanin for their liking. They would rather their readers look up to a white female like Jean or Carol. My position is Marvel should write all of their characters well and let the fans choose from among those well-written characters who they prefer. The problem is we have already seen that scenario play out, and readers prefer a well-written Storm over any other well-written Marvel female by huge margins. Marvel evidently hates this, hence the VERY BAD handling/writing and weakening of Ororo's character over the last decade in the x-books.

4) Regarding Storm's solo, like I said months ago, expect it when you start seeing solicitations for it. There is still a big chance the project gets cancelled before it even has a chance to start.

Again, I don't understand all of this optimism about Storm appearing in X-Men Red. All the signs are pointing to propping up Jean while weakening and scaling back Ororo. This whole premise about the PF possessing holding back Jean's spits right in the face of long-established canon. Also, all of the canon about Storm's unlmited potential is going to be ignored in order to explore the lie told in X-Men Red Annual #1.
    rut a lot of people will give you flack for talking ish about jean but let me be one to say I think a lot of what you say is spot on. I think for the jean it's great that writers will explore her abilities without the Phoenix but I think its absolutely absurd to believe it was holding her back. and it's going to be difficult to showcase how powerful she is and also highlight storm as the hadari yao. I'm cautiously optimistic but I think a lot of your observations are valid.