Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do people think of the "House of M" universe?

Since it looks like Age of X-Man is going to be HoM's spiritual successor, I was wondering what people thought of that universe.

Note that I'm not talking about the miniseries itself, I'm talking about the world it set up and was explored in tie-ins and sequel miniseries.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Due to the criminal jobbing of Creed to Panther, it sucked!

Didn't Bendis write that mess? If so, no shock.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 11-20-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Since it looks like Age of X-Man is going to be HoM's spiritual successor, I was wondering what people thought of that universe.

Note that I'm not talking about the miniseries itself, I'm talking about the world it set up and was explored in tie-ins and sequel miniseries.
    Interesting idea with lots of potential, crappy execution marred by character assassination and it set up the 'all extinction all the time narrative which the franchise is still not being allowed to escape from.

Honestly, the only parts of House of M I enjoyed was the stories about Magneto and his Family. It was interesting to see them all as roality and how they interacted with each other and everyone else.

I also liked how Cyclops led the other heroes in that series.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 11-20-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I think fairly highly of it. It's kind of hard to separate enjoyment/opinion of the event, and the setting itself however. I like the setting because generally I enjoyed the books. Seeing how characters were adjusted into fitting within the world, and how they all banded together to restore the world that was... Damn, it's probably the only event comic I've ever read that I would consider great.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

In a lot of ways, the HoM version of reality was *better*

And I think it jarred a lot of fans that the "heroes" were so hell bent on undoing it.

I mean... sure I do understand that when you realize you're in a fake reality or whatever, you naturally want to go back to the real one I suppose... but if the fake one works, and is way better... why?

The only real answer I can come up with is that Wanda was still incredibly dangerous and unstable I guess
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

And I think it jarred a lot of fans that the "heroes" were so hell bent on undoing it.

I mean... sure I do understand that when you realize you're in a fake reality or whatever, you naturally want to go back to the real one I suppose... but if the fake one works, and is way better... why?

The only real answer I can come up with is that Wanda was still incredibly dangerous and unstable I guess
    I feel its a combination of this and that such a world would be a cheat. And no one who has been in the game long enough would abide by a cheat of that magnitude to stick.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Due to what resulted from it, I have zero love for House of M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

It was were the extinction after extinction started, so i don't like it or think it left a good legacy.
    also, poor wanda. she has been so demonized and hated for just a single story.

mixed feelings.

A House of M universe where Rogue is the Queen of Earth will be glorious.

But the one of Secret Wars and the original are just MEH.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the 2008 miniseries Civil War: House of M. It's a great story, I highly recommend it.

I love the universe. Mutopia M, Uncanny X-men and the main mini itself constructed a very interesting world to me. The way they showed mutants ruling, not in na utopic or apocaliptic way, just complex, sold it to me.

The consequences were also great. Brought new life to the franchise, even though it was an editorial mandate.

It broke the X-Men concept. It had some nice art, but overall I didn't like it story-wise.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Note that I'm not talking about the miniseries itself, I'm talking about the world it set up and was explored in tie-ins and sequel miniseries
    I really liked the idea of mutants getting a world that doesn't hate or fear them I thought it was interesting how The Magnus "royal" family turned out, how human heroes change their attitudes/participation in Mutant policy. Would have liked to see more of the New Mutants the radical 160 personality change of Dust wasnot welcome, and the ready-made prejudices against humans rang false.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I feel its a combination of this and that such a world would be a cheat. And no one who has been in the game long enough would abide by a cheat of that magnitude to stick.
    Ehhh I feel like there's a lots of Mutants young and just as old as or older than Cyclops that wouldn't mind a "World cheat" that they wouldn't be second-class citizens

I found it extremely jarring especially Emma Frost but even human hero's like Spider-Man, Captain Marvel...

But she was depowered
    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I think fairly highly of it. It's kind of hard to separate enjoyment/opinion of the event, and the setting itself however. I like the setting because generally I enjoyed the books. Seeing how characters were adjusted into fitting within the world
    I think a lot of people are finding difficult to separate No More Mutants and HoM. But I also like seeing how different seemingly separate World events drastically can change a character

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    It was were the extinction after extinction started, so i don't like it or think it left a good legacy.
    also, poor wanda. she has been so demonized and hated for just a single story.
    that was the previous Story....Wanda kinda took a passive backseat role in HoM

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Due to what resulted from it, I have zero love for House of M.
    I'll put that blame on No More Mutants

Empty is thy hand!

House of M: Hulk was pretty great. Otherwise, like most things Bendis, I can't be bothered.