Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I can’t say if there ever was a Marvel Event that had a satisfying ending.

There is huge criticism towards all that happened from Avengers Disassembled till Secret Wars 2015. But it is a period where readers never knew what to expect, or, what was happening, and I think that’s what will stick in the minds of everybody that experienced it. Most of Marvel continuity and history up till Civil War 2006 was predictable and formulaic, in that it had been tried before in some form. But this period 2005 to 2015 stands out as the most dynamic, controversial, and having the most effect on characters in the whole history of the Silver Age onwards. Now that may be a huge criticism of that period, in that it degraded and made heroes mortal instead of idealistic. However, it is this period that strikes hardest at the characterisations and the continuity of Marvel. Every thing before and after seems trivial in comparison.

So I don’t know whether 2005-2015 is what I call a great period. It shattered a lot of my conceptions about what super heroes are, but, it delved into areas that held my interest as much as the first 5 years of Marvel Silver Age, the greatest period to my mind, as the formation of the universe and the characters.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Snoop Dogg, I’ve just begun Spencer’s Secret Empire, but chickened out. I think I need to go back and read his Caps runs, before jumping into this crossover. What are some highlights I should look for?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

There is huge criticism towards all that happened from Avengers Disassembled till Secret Wars 2015.
    But it is a period where readers never knew what to expect, or, what was happening, and I think that’s what will stick in the minds of everybody that experienced it. Most of Marvel continuity and history up till Civil War 2006 was predictable and formulaic, in that it had been tried before in some form. But this period 2005 to 2015 stands out as the most dynamic, controversial, and having the most effect on characters in the whole history of the Silver Age onwards. Now that may be a huge criticism of that period, in that it degraded and made heroes mortal instead of idealistic. However, it is this period that strikes hardest at the characterisations and the continuity of Marvel. Every thing before and after seems trivial in comparison.

So I don’t know whether 2005-2015 is what I call a great period. It shattered a lot of my conceptions about what super heroes are, but, it delved into areas that held my interest as much as the first 5 years of Marvel Silver Age, the greatest period to my mind, as the formation of the universe and the characters.
    Well... I agree and disagree at the same time with most of that... I agree with everything bolded there... but I don't agree that it was a GOOD thing. Most of that philosophy just ticked me off and drove me away.

As such... with the 20 year window... I'm really torn on thinking of ANY that I enjoyed. Secret Invasion, House of M, World War Hulk... they all had a couple of interesting hooks I wanted to see... but the end result disappointed me. The one I really enjoy was the first Secret Wars in the 80's that was just epic on every level. I loved every page.... Infinty War was pretty fun too with the dopplegangers running around with some fun designs, and of course the Midnight Sons events... but in the last 20? I'm drawing a blank on anything I wasn't disappointed spending money or time on. MAYBE Annihilation... but even that either rewrote my favorite characters... or focused on a TON of characters I cared nothing about... Decent story, but hated most of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Snoop Dogg, I’ve just begun Spencer’s Secret Empire, but chickened out. I think I need to go back and read his Caps runs, before jumping into this crossover. What are some highlights I should look for?
    Spencer's run is split in half, where if you want the exact plot events that lead into Secret Empire, you only need to read the Steve book, but if you want the full emotional and thematic journey of Sam, who is the main character of the run overall, you need to read his book as well. The simplest way to get both slices of the pie, though, is to just read

-Avengers: Standoff, (where the essential stuff is in SamCap vol. 2, but if you get the collection with the full event, the tie-ins are pretty nice)

-Volumes 4-5 of SamCap which are essential

-All 3 volumes of SteveCap (which include the important Civil War II: The Oath one-shot)

-The Secret Empire collection that the 12 issues Spencer wrote for the event plus his last issue of Cap in general (with the more optional Cap: Secret Empire collection that has Spencer's last few issues of both Steve and Sam's books, but really isn't vital and is more of a little anthology book covering different parts of the event)

-The Captain America Generations one-shot which is only collected in the full Generations book with 9 other stories. But it's the real ending and last issue of the run.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 12-28-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I own all of the Stevil run, and the first 13 of the SamCap book, as well as issue 25 too, so I’ll just go dig those out and add them to the reading pile.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I agree with everyone with Annihilation. One of the best marvel events period let alone the past 20 years.

Time Runs Out (I’ll include Secret Wars #1 as that is the true end) is also one for me. It was the ultimate climax that was promised, the heroes had lost ready to set up the next stage, and time ran out just like we were told.
    I’ll treat Secret Wars separately from that just because it was more focussed on the FF than Avengers, but both make the list.

Annihilation. Definitely annihilation.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Annihilation: Conquest too.

Annihilation.

I loved Spencer's Cap run but would have preferred Sam be the one to ultimately defeat Stevil.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

There is huge criticism towards all that happened from Avengers Disassembled till Secret Wars 2015. But it is a period where readers never knew what to expect, or, what was happening, and I think that’s what will stick in the minds of everybody that experienced it. Most of Marvel continuity and history up till Civil War 2006 was predictable and formulaic, in that it had been tried before in some form. But this period 2005 to 2015 stands out as the most dynamic, controversial, and having the most effect on characters in the whole history of the Silver Age onwards. Now that may be a huge criticism of that period, in that it degraded and made heroes mortal instead of idealistic. However, it is this period that strikes hardest at the characterisations and the continuity of Marvel. Every thing before and after seems trivial in comparison.

I would have to disagree.

Annihilation had an antagonist who was an actual villain and not some morally gray/ooc hero written to do heinous things.

The hero was an actual heroic character who wasn't written in a way to compromise his own moral code.

There was good characterization throughout the main title and tie-ins.

The ending had a clear cut victory for the heroes over the villains without any moral clouds over the victory.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Conquest was good as well.

Annihilation was the Marvel event others should aspire to. It revamped Marvel’s cosmic corner and was the springboard for z-listers to become a-listers.

Siege is probably the runner up.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I loved Conquest the most out of the Cosmic Events.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Annihilation and Dark Reign/Siege

I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly so) that Siege is getting as much props as it is. I don't recall it getting a whole lot of props at the time.

But that was a very nice concise event. 4 issues in and out. No filler. I think we need more events like that.