Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I loved all of the Annihaltion/Cosmic events and books from DnA. Not one of them was bad.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I loved all of the Annihaltion/Cosmic events and books from DnA. Not one of them was bad.
    I loved the earlier ones, but we sort of started getting diminishing returns. By the time we got to Annihlators I think they were completely out of gas. That said, they did have a heck of a run with the cosmic books, and they helped establish Guaridans as one of marvels top franchises. So they left a heck of a Legacy.

Avengers vs X-men.
    Best event ever!

I think with Siege it perhaps didn't get recognition at the time as there was a bit of event fatigue going on, and it really felt like part of the Dark Reign storyline IIRC.

But for me it's also the Annihilation events. Loved both of them, and they're well overdue me re-reading them.

The best thing about Siege was finally seeing Norman brought down.

At the end I think they amped Norman's crazy a little too high but it was still satisfying seeing the heroes finally come together to take him and the rest of the villains down.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I think with Siege it perhaps didn't get recognition at the time as there was a bit of event fatigue going on, and it really felt like part of the Dark Reign storyline IIRC.

But for me it's also the Annihilation events. Loved both of them, and they're well overdue me re-reading them.
    It basically was the end of Dark Reign. I think Dark Reign was more an era rather than an actual event. It marked the period of time between Secret Invasion and Siege.

But it was a very satisfying finish that wrapped up everything pretty well. While other events ended up being the the beginning of ANOTHER event, this one really felt like an ending to something. And that was kind of cool.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

All through Dark Reign I kept thinking to myself, “how dumb can the Marvel Americans be to give Osborn that much power?” Then a couple years later America elected Trump, and I realized they’re dumber than fictional Americans.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    All through Dark Reign I kept thinking to myself, “how dumb can the Marvel Americans be to give Osborn that much power?” Then a couple years later America elected Trump, and I realized they’re dumber than fictional Americans.
    Haha! Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well... I agree and disagree at the same time with most of that... I agree with everything bolded there... but I don't agree that it was a GOOD thing. Most of that philosophy just ticked me off and drove me away.

As such... with the 20 year window... I'm really torn on thinking of ANY that I enjoyed. Secret Invasion, House of M, World War Hulk... they all had a couple of interesting hooks I wanted to see... but the end result disappointed me. The one I really enjoy was the first Secret Wars in the 80's that was just epic on every level. I loved every page.... Infinty War was pretty fun too with the dopplegangers running around with some fun designs, and of course the Midnight Sons events... but in the last 20? I'm drawing a blank on anything I wasn't disappointed spending money or time on. MAYBE Annihilation... but even that either rewrote my favorite characters... or focused on a TON of characters I cared nothing about... Decent story, but hated most of the cast.
    Can you say (and this is very critical of Marvel), that the period 2005 - 2015, were a mistake and should never have taken place? I ask this because it was such a divisive period in Marvel publishing, that many fled away from it. You could say, “let’s forget this period ever happened”. The problem here is you can’t ignore that period, because those readers who lived through it were tainted towards a lot of characters.

Could we have got to a point where 2005 - 2015 should be ignored? That’s a tough question, but it’s like, has more damage been done to characters than outweighs the benefits? I originally anticipated that after Secret Wars, time would be reset to before Avengers Disassembled, and history went a different way, instead of Wanda going crazy.

What is the benefit of 2005 - 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I would have to disagree.

Annihilation had an antagonist who was an actual villain and not some morally gray/ooc hero written to do heinous things.

The hero was an actual heroic character who wasn't written in a way to compromise his own moral code.

There was good characterization throughout the main title and tie-ins.

The ending had a clear cut victory for the heroes over the villains without any moral clouds over the victory.
    I can’t disagree with you here. The actual hero you refer to is Nova, and when he did come back to Earth for R and R, after Annihilation, he was horrified with Iron Man and what Rich Rider saw as lunacy on Earth after SHRA. This tells me that 2005 - 2015 was a kind of lunacy period if seen from a sane standpoint that Rich Rider came from.

Looks like Annihilation wins hands down Marvell2100, and to me it’s because it had traditional super hero ethics - save the day. Do you want to make it a poll?
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-01-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Annihilation all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The best thing about Siege was finally seeing Norman brought down.

At the end I think they amped Norman's crazy a little too high but it was still satisfying seeing the heroes finally come together to take him and the rest of the villains down.
    The thing about Norman Osborn (and this was true about Victor von Doom in the FF), was that he didn’t have super heroes to compete with during Dark Reign. As soon as the heroes returned, he switched back into old habits. It was a sickness.

But while the super heroes were missing in Dark Reign, Norman really felt needed, and he tried to use all his skills to demonstrate he could do the job they gave him, albeit, his way.
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-01-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I can’t disagree with you here. The actual hero you refer to is Nova, and when he did come back to Earth for R and R, after Annihilation, he was horrified with Iron Man and what Rich Rider saw as lunacy on Earth after SHRA. This tells me that 2005 - 2015 was a kind of lunacy period if seen from a sane standpoint that Rich Rider came from.

Looks like Annihilation wins hands down Marvell2100, and to me it’s because it had traditional super hero ethics - save the day. Do you want to make it a poll?
    I thought about a poll but I was worried I'd forget and leave out some of the events.

Age of Apocalypse
    Fatal Attractions
    X-cutioner's Song
    Messiah Complex
    Messiah War
    Necrosha
    X-Tinction Agenda
    Operation Zero Tolerance
    The Twelve
    Annihilation 1and 2
    Secret Invasion
    Seige
    Avengers Forever

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Can you say (and this is very critical of Marvel), that the period 2005 - 2015, were a mistake and should never have taken place? I ask this because it was such a divisive period in Marvel publishing, that many fled away from it. You could say, “let’s forget this period ever happened”. The problem here is you can’t ignore that period, because those readers who lived through it were tainted towards a lot of characters.

Could we have got to a point where 2005 - 2015 should be ignored? That’s a tough question, but it’s like, has more damage been done to characters than outweighs the benefits? I originally anticipated that after Secret Wars, time would be reset to before Avengers Disassembled, and history went a different way, instead of Wanda going crazy.

What is the benefit of 2005 - 2015?

I can't think of any benefits at all. I would have loved for some kind of system wide reboot that reset the timeline... if not to the beginning ala Ultimate, but at least back that far. Every event I've read has been based solely on the idea that the writer wanted to tell... regardless of whether it made any sense for the players involved. Back in the 70's through 90's, the characters seemed to grow and change organically... Post disassembled (or maybe before) it felt like people were acting INSANELY out of character because if they weren't then the 'plot' wouldn't work. People who completely changed their long standing convictions on a whim... Cloning murder-Thor... Recruiting supervillains to hunt down their allies... It was all about the 'EVENT'... and not about the characters. Avengers vs Avengers, X-Men vs. X-Men... Avengers vs. X-Men. No villains in sight. I really haven't liked any of them.