Page 560 of 662 FirstFirst ... 60460510550556557558559560561562563564570610660 ... LastLast
Results 8,386 to 8,400 of 9921
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Thanks. I think we share a similar outlook about certain things. It's always refreshing to read your perspective.
    I've noticed that we think along the same lines in many aspects. I appreciate the genuine nature of your talking points and you give me warm fuzzy feelings. I appreciate you more than you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormDisciple View Post
    I know I’m a few pages late but I just can’t hold my tongue. Idk why fans are making such a big deal about Storm appearing in BP2, they do not have to make her a mistress she could just be someone to help with the battle. Idk how that can be a bad thing being reintroduced into this franchise by the way of an Uber popular movie. In no ways does that mean she will be a home wrecker especially since TChalla isn’t even married to Nakia regardless how some like her in the role. It’s been said the XMen will be sprinkled into different movies so why should Storm sit this out when this is the best way to get the audience back invested in the character after bad showings in Fox. If they knock it out if the park like with BP in CW people will be clamoring for a solo. So how is this a bad thing. I prefer an adult Storm I don’t want anymore teenage Storm I hope we get 20ish Storm in this reboot.
    What's really sad is I tried to shake the feeling. I really did. I tried my best to ignore the glaring problematic undertones. The vide you and I both just caught was in reference to Storm living her life outside of the X-Men. Make no mistake about it. There's now this air of Storm as this home wrecking harlot that ruins T'Challa's new chance at love. It really exposes how some of her "fans" really view black women. I kept my tongue tho. We're talking about a woman that actually has history with both T'Challa and Wakanda dating all the way back to Eric Jerome Dickey's solo. Even before she knew T'Challa she knew a Wakandan man that looked at her as his daughter. Even if there's some contention about her as woman, being introduced to a new world due to her connection to a man, (very similar to her induction to the Avengers) it's still part of her mythos. What's really glaring for me tho is the ignorance to her powerset. How can a woman who was known for gallivanting all across Africa, not stumble into Wakandan airspace with her sky topography, energy sight, or her affinity for magic? There's no way Wakanda would have been able to hide form her power and the way we know she can apply them. I honestly don't understand how any self professed Storm fan can look down their nose at her all because Coates used her to have an intellectual conversation with Nakia devoid of any tired tropes of black women and their drama. I'm both dumbfounded and not at all surprised at the same damn time. The same people will then hold her portrayal by white writers as sacrosanct and above reproach, but her portrayal at the hands of black writers as nothing but a stain on her reputation. It really trips me tf out. At least BP's real diehard day ones keep that same energy and have a thoroughly understandable distaste for her character that's more than earned from the childish behavior of the many petty and unprofessional X-writers. This thread is quite eye opening in oh so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by StormDisciple View Post
    I know I’m a few pages late but I just can’t hold my tongue. Idk why fans are making such a big deal about Storm appearing in BP2, they do not have to make her a mistress she could just be someone to help with the battle. Idk how that can be a bad thing being reintroduced into this franchise by the way of an Uber popular movie. In no ways does that mean she will be a home wrecker especially since TChalla isn’t even married to Nakia regardless how some like her in the role. It’s been said the XMen will be sprinkled into different movies so why should Storm sit this out when this is the best way to get the audience back invested in the character after bad showings in Fox. If they knock it out if the park like with BP in CW people will be clamoring for a solo. So how is this a bad thing. I prefer an adult Storm I don’t want anymore teenage Storm I hope we get 20ish Storm in this reboot.
    I remember when some fans were outraged when she married BP.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    well I never said all BP fans even though it felt like it.

check out post 63765

me gloating about being right lol. I have to dig a little more to find the initial posts were some BP fans told me she would never be in a BP movie.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ever!/page4251

that will take a bit more work.
    Okay, I still don't see the post where someone told you that you were wrong about X-Men coming to Disney and I see you had a debate with one poster about something unrelated to Disney acquiring FOX.

It's possible that what you're saying happened, I just don't see it in those posts.

19tre94

Hello everybody I recently made a video showcasing some of her feats on YouTube.. Hopefully I did ok.. Here is the link https://youtu.be/0zZkg-rkHQY

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    why do you think people see the things as you mentioned as negative when we can see the positive? do you think it is an aspect of willie lynch syndrome because that is an interesting idea.

but again your words has to continued to be repeated and said. there is NOTHING wrong with us relying on each other and supporting each other. it's not something to be ashamed of and it's not weak.

The sad truth, IMO, is that "black love" isn't as valued, respected, or even normalized as other types of relationships. "White love" is still considered the norm in movies, tv, and yes, in comics. Too many people think it is being liberal when a black character is paired in a romantic relationship with a white person, as such pairings somehow makes, normally a white writer, director, or producer, or world in which the black character is written/displayed in, less racist or the character less racially marginalized. There isn't anything inherently wrong in having interracial couples in comics or any other media. But it does become problematic when interracial pairings are created as a way of supposedly demonstrating diversity in comics/movies but without any true discourse on race and every day microaggressions.

Then, when someone "dares" to pair two African/African American characters some people flip out as if it's the worst idea ever, claiming they were only put together because both are black. My answer to them is: So what. Then: Why not create a positive example of a loving AA couple, especially when there are so many examples of "white love."

There are so few AA comic book characters but most of them are not paired with each other. We must ask ourselves how that came to be the case. Why is that the norm while "Black love" is so rarely depicted. Black people most certainly have relationships with people who do not share their race/ethnicity but they damn sure also have great relationships with each other. That should be shown and respected more and not condemned when it is as being inauthentic or forced.

If you haven't seen Watchmen on HBO. I LOVE that Regina King is married to a black man. You tell me how often HBO has shown black love like that. Hell, there was even a hot sex scene with the couple in the first episode. Again, when do we see even that? Rarely.
    Last edited by GuiltyPleasure; 11-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.

The sad truth, IMO, is that "black love" isn't as valued, respected, or even normalized as other types of relationships. "White love" is still considered the norm in movies, tv, and yes, in comics. Too many people think it is being liberal when a black character is paired in a romantic relationship with a white person, as such pairings somehow makes, normally a white writer, director, or producer, or world in which the black character is written/displayed in, less racist or the character less racially marginalized. There isn't anything inherently wrong in having interracial couples in comics or any other media. But it does become problematic when interracial pairings are created as a way of supposedly demonstrating diversity in comics/movies but without any true discourse on race and every day microaggressions.

Then, when someone "dares" to pair two African/African American characters some people flip out as if it's the worst idea ever, claiming they were only put together because both are black. My answer to them is: So what. Then: Why not create a positive example of a loving AA couple, especially when there are so many examples of "white love."

There are so few AA comic book characters but most of them are not paired with each other. We must ask ourselves how that came to be the case. Why is that the norm while "Black love" is so rarely depicted. Black people most certainly have relationships with people who do not share their race/ethnicity but they damn sure also have great relationships with each other. That should be shown and respected more and not condemned when it is as being inauthentic or forced.

If you haven't seen Watchmen on HBO. I LOVE that Regina King is married to a black man. You tell me how often HBO has shown black love like that. Hell, there was even a hot sex scene with the couple in the first episode. Again, when do we see even that? Rarely.
    Have you noticed the amount of interracial couples being shown on TV/Film and commercials? I think that's more common than POC relationships. I was saying to myself is it that hard to have POC couples in a romantic relationship in any media?

Quote Originally Posted by 19tre94 View Post
    Hello everybody I recently made a video showcasing some of her feats on YouTube.. Hopefully I did ok.. Here is the link https://youtu.be/0zZkg-rkHQY
    Welcome! That's awesome, very nice work!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Okay, I still don't see the post where someone told you that you were wrong about X-Men coming to Disney and I see you had a debate with one poster about something unrelated to Disney acquiring FOX.

It's possible that what you're saying happened, I just don't see it in those posts.

that's why I said I have to dig a little bit more for that love. there are thousands of pages and cbr doesnt have the best search function.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Have you noticed the amount of interracial couples being shown on TV/Film and commercials? I think that's more common than POC relationships. I was saying to myself is it that hard to have POC couples in a romantic relationship in any media?
    It only becomes "hard" if there is little to no interest in showing such relationships. It's as if POC relationships are an endangered species in the media, nearly extinct in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I've noticed that we think along the same lines in many aspects. I appreciate the genuine nature of your talking points and you give me warm fuzzy feelings. I appreciate you more than you know.

What's really sad is I tried to shake the feeling. I really did. I tried my best to ignore the glaring problematic undertones. The vide you and I both just caught was in reference to Storm living her life outside of the X-Men. Make no mistake about it. There's now this air of Storm as this home wrecking harlot that ruins T'Challa's new chance at love. It really exposes how some of her "fans" really view black women. I kept my tongue tho. We're talking about a woman that actually has history with both T'Challa and Wakanda dating all the way back to Eric Jerome Dickey's solo. Even before she knew T'Challa she knew a Wakandan man that looked at her as his daughter. Even if there's some contention about her as woman, being introduced to a new world due to her connection to a man, (very similar to her induction to the Avengers) it's still part of her mythos. What's really glaring for me tho is the ignorance to her powerset. How can a woman who was known for gallivanting all across Africa, not stumble into Wakandan airspace with her sky topography, energy sight, or her affinity for magic? There's no way Wakanda would have been able to hide form her power and the way we know she can apply them. I honestly don't understand how any self professed Storm fan can look down their nose at her all because Coates used her to have an intellectual conversation with Nakia devoid of any tired tropes of black women and their drama. I'm both dumbfounded and not at all surprised at the same damn time. The same people will then hold her portrayal by white writers as sacrosanct and above reproach, but her portrayal at the hands of black writers as nothing but a stain on her reputation. It really trips me tf out. At least BP's real diehard day ones keep that same energy and have a thoroughly understandable distaste for her character that's more than earned from the childish behavior of the many petty and unprofessional X-writers. This thread is quite eye opening in oh so many ways.
    you are again bringing the heat. I peeped that same bit of energy the other day. there was disdain for ororo being as important as she is ro wakandan lore by way of coates, yet there was praise for her being a support to kitty on a ship by duggan. I asked myself the same thing why would one give coates so much grief but so much praise for Duggan? as you mentioned, seeing that wakanda borders Kenya it would make sense that they have some sort of interaction, especially knowing that they also had a deep connection as kids. It is revealing and I would so love to know why there is so much disdain for Coates yet so much praise for duggan? I have my own ideas but I hate to make assumptions.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Let me first just say bravo to you!!! I love you so much you just do not understand how much I truly do. Whew now that I've gotten that off my chest.

You are absolutely correct with the idea that black love is not appreciated. I would go even further to say black interactions and experiences are not appreciated. I've seen a trend of commercials, advertising, and shows on television. It seems more often than not when a black man is in a relationship he is generally paired with a white woman. I for the life of me have not been able to understand why but it diesnt send a reaffirming message relating to black love. As you said, the default in all relationships and interactions in society revolves around white people. As we know, this is why most of the xmen are white, most of the commercials are directed towards a target white audience and when they want to convey "diversity" you throw in a token, which in the case of the xmen has generally always been Ororo.

This leads me to your next point about writers pairing black folk together. I remember the uproar that I saw on the forum when Ororo was in bp&c. It was deemed racist that she would be in a team with all black characters and that she would talk about her annoyance with being a black woman surrounded often times around people who dont look like her or that relate to her. Why is it that the xmen have never been credited as such when their stories generally chronicle the daily experiences of oppressed white mutants? I also love your response about characters being paired simply because they are black. The same has been done for years with white characters so why are you now calling foul because the characters are black? Its ridiculous.

To your question on why there isnt a ton of black love shown I would say because the people who predominantly write these stories are white and therefore dont understand the importance or necessity of seeing such stories conveyed to the readers. These creative teams dont see the assault on blackness in their comics when they whitewash black characters such as storm and Monet to look like white women with a hint of a tan. Until black people are more integrated with the creative side side of things we will continue to see a trend where black love and black experiences are very seldom down. This is why I champion coates and his efforts. He has done so much that I dont think some give him credit for: he totally deserves all the praise he has received imho.

And agreed to your last point. I dont have HBO but that is encouraging to hear because as you said it is rarely shown. Thank you again for the post.

I hated the marriage because of the **** writing and obvious, cynical cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    I hated the marriage because of the **** writing and obvious, cynical cash grab.
    there are a lot who would agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Here, here. And the propping up of T'Challa at Storm's expense.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Here, here. And the propping up of T'Challa at Storm's expense.
    how was he propped up at her expense ?

this happens a lot more on xmen. one of the more recent times was is xmen red.