Page 413 of 662 FirstFirst ... 313363403409410411412413414415416417423463513 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,195 of 9921
    BANNED

[=GuiltyPleasure;4603015]Thank you all for sharing. It sounds like a good, in-character depiction of Ororo. I also can't see her wanting to isolate herself from everyone else. Why is that their plan? And intersectionality is damn sure real. In the now cancelled Black Panther and the Crew, Storm and Misty Knight had a brief conversation about intersectionality.

Misty: ... Really getting tired of this city trying to kill me.
    Storm: If you were a mutant, you'd be used to it.
    Misty: Girl, I'm black and I'm still not used to it.
    Storm: And if you're both?
    Misty: Don't give me that intersectional privilege crap. This is Harlem, not Harvard.

See, that's real talk there between two AA heroes with similar intersections but also different with Storm having that extra layer of being a mutant and Misty having that extra layer of being a person with a disability (although, with her high-tech arm, some people may not view her as a person with a disability, but she is all the same.)[/QUOTE]

You get it, sir. The power of that exchange has gone unmatched. THAT is her lane. Why are the writers of the X-books so hesitant on pushing her in that direction? It only feels right. She loves being a mutant, but that’s not the sum total of what she is. It just wouldn’t have made sense to have Ororo following along mindlessly. I personally see her as the woman that will make her voice heard whenever she feels the need. In the council meeting Storm didn’t say much. She was calm, calculating, thoughtful and stern. I really can’t believe that Hickman had her step up and voice her opinion. The fact that it’s an opinion that lines up with my interpretation of the woman she is across the three books I’m currently reading with her in them only makes me more giddy. This man Hickman has really opened up the flood gates and Hadari Yao is coming at us all full force.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

So I was just able to read the Marvel 1001 at my lcs. Is there any reason why Jean was being such a b!tch to ororo????

Is this proof of Jean's jealously of the all-goddess rearing its little head???
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Omg what? Don’t say that. We know Jean is not above forcing her sensibilities on Ororo. I’m that isn’t the case in the story you’re referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    [=GuiltyPleasure;4603015]Thank you all for sharing. It sounds like a good, in-character depiction of Ororo. I also can't see her wanting to isolate herself from everyone else. Why is that their plan? And intersectionality is damn sure real. In the now cancelled Black Panther and the Crew, Storm and Misty Knight had a brief conversation about intersectionality.

Misty: Don't give me that intersectional privilege crap. This is Harlem, not Harvard.

See, that's real talk there between two AA heroes with similar intersections but also different with Storm having that extra layer of being a mutant and Misty having that extra layer of being a person with a disability (although, with her high-tech arm, some people may not view her as a person with a disability, but she is all the same.)

You get it, sir. The power of that exchange has gone unmatched. THAT is her lane. Why are the writers of the X-books so hesitant on pushing her in that direction? It only feels right. She loves being a mutant, but that’s not the sum total of what she is. It just wouldn’t have made sense to have Ororo following along mindlessly. I personally see her as the woman that will make her voice heard whenever she feels the need. In the council meeting Storm didn’t say much. She was calm, calculating, thoughtful and stern. I really can’t believe that Hickman had her step up and voice her opinion. The fact that it’s an opinion that lines up with my interpretation of the woman she is across the three books I’m currently reading with her in them only makes me more giddy. This man Hickman has really opened up the flood gates and Hadari Yao is coming at us all full force.
    do you really think the hadari yao is finally going to make her presence known for all mutantkind to know?

I would also like to see aspects of her blackness explored more a bit more by the xoffices. it doesn't have to be things controversial such as police brutality but we see Kamala embrace her Islamic culture, and miss America celebrate her culture and iceman embrace the LGBTQ issues. where is the same for ororo within the xbooks showing love for her culture and being African american?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Omg what? Don’t say that. We know Jean is not above forcing her sensibilities on Ororo. I’m that isn’t the case in the story you’re referencing.
    I mean this has to be assessed. why on earth would Jean have such animosity towards Ororo when all she has been to her is a friend? and you are absolutely correct about forcing her sensibilities into Ororo. I can think of now three times Jean was out of line with Ororo. The first one was when she read Ororos mind without her permission, the second was when she instigated Forge breaking his proposal to Ororo and now this new revelation. If this is not from a jealous perspective then where does it come from?? Just asking because Ororo has never shown such an attitude towards Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    do you really think the hadari yao is finally going to make her presence known for all mutantkind to know?

I would also like to see aspects of her blackness explored more a bit more by the xoffices. it doesn't have to be things controversial such as police brutality but we see Kamala embrace her Islamic culture, and miss America celebrate her culture and iceman embrace the LGBTQ issues. where is the same for ororo within the xbooks showing love for her culture and being African american?
    I'm asking the same questions. Where is Marisol Guerra to kick Storm into action. She's so good at pushing Storm's buttons and making her look at her life differently. Tbh, I think that girl would be proud of this Storm. I honestly do. She'd gladly take guidance and advice from this woman. I'm still in shock that Ororo of Fearless and Wakanda's protector has shown up to give her opinion on mutant issues. Its really beautiful.

BANNED

I mean this has to be assessed. why on earth would Jean have such animosity towards Ororo when all she has been to her is a friend? and you are absolutely correct about forcing her sensibilities into Ororo. I can think of now three times Jean was out of line with Ororo. The first one was when she read Ororos mind without her permission, the second was when she instigated Forge breaking his proposal to Ororo and now this new revelation. If this is not from a jealous perspective then where does it come from?? Just asking because Ororo has never shown such an attitude towards Jean.
    I think the first time was before her shaming Ororo for her sense of self. Remember she choked on her beverage as Ororo changed clothes. That was the very first time she tried to emotionally manipulate Ororo into being more "civilized". Then there's the time Jean was under someone's mind control and she saw Ororo as a slave woman. Where those her true feelings about Ororo or just emotions that were soon fed to her? She clearly called her by her birth name.

This post closed due to construction hazards.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 10-02-2019 at 04:26 PM.

See, that's real talk there between two AA heroes with similar intersections but also different with Storm having that extra layer of being a mutant and Misty having that extra layer of being a person with a disability (although, with her high-tech arm, some people may not view her as a person with a disability, but she is all the same.)
    Yeah, to say that Storm should only be focused on mutant issues while other people are being persecuted for their race, religion, sexual identity etc., is not understanding her character. Storm would not herself to only care for mutants but for anyone who is subjected to prejudice.

She has an inclusive worldview and unlike a lot of other prominent mutants, she has living relatives who are human. Would she cast her core beliefs aside for someone else's mutants only dogma?

No.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

even though she is being worshipped by some wakandans I'm not sure she is a true "wakandan god." Those are very much still the orishas including Bast and Ororo is not a part of that. We still dont know how and where Ororos divinity comes from but its possible (seeing Wakanda borders kenya) that her godhead is that from the Kenyan God pantheon. Just my thoughts but we dont know enough yet to conclude either way, though I could understand your sentiment if it's true.

Yes, I don't think Coates' elevation of Storm to Hadari Yao is meant to make her part of the Wakanda pantheon either. She's never been referred to in BP as an Orisha. The Wakandans tend to refer to her by many names, most of which are linked to her mutant powers--Walker of Clouds, the Goddess Who Preserves Balance of all Natural Things. That's what Hadari Yao is supposed to mean among the Alkamite people in BP. She isn't part of their old gods. I think they simply recognize the magnitude of her mutant power. More importantly, they seem to also attribute her kind and helpful nature as another sign of her godhood. What is actually just as interesting is that Coates has written that some Wakandans still think of Ororo as their queen. So, when taken together, the Wakandans have really embraced Storm as a mutant and just a person who they like, trust, and rely on in much the same way they do Shuri and BP. She has a family there.

So, if this part of Ororo is carried over into the X books, which it really should, I can't see her turning her back on a nation and a family who treat her as such. She's been written to feel uncomfortable with the idea of being viewed as a goddess but doesn't shy away from doing the very things Wakandans cite as examples of her godhood, such as protecting the nation and people and being there when their king went missing. As soon as Ramonda told her about T'Challa's MIA status she was there and seemed to stay and help fill the void. That's not a person who would give up her home and human connections.
    Last edited by GuiltyPleasure; 10-02-2019 at 05:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, to say that Storm should only be focused on mutant issues while other people are being persecuted for their race, religion, sexual identity etc., is not understanding her character. Storm would not herself to only care for mutants but for anyone who is subjected to prejudice.

She has an inclusive worldview and unlike a lot of other prominent mutants, she has living relatives who are human. Would she cast her core beliefs aside for someone else's mutants only dogma?

No.
    Exactly this. Storm has relatives that LOVE that she’s a mutant and they champion her like no other. Her grandparents have followed her adventures for while. We don’t get to see that black love, but we know Storm isn’t the woman to just disregard them. No. The real Ororo would absolutely recognize all of who she is to claim all that she believes in. After all, Xavier approached her when she was already living in harmony with the humans around her. It’s very, very funny because earlier there was even a discussion here about how some Native African black people weren’t accustomed to dealing with racial biases in regards to skin color. Imagine my delight at Ororo’s path directly reflecting that part. As a black female mutant living in harmony with the humans around her, she didn’t receive true mutant hate until she joined the team. Some of that hate came from the micro aggressions of the white mutants around her as @butterflykyss has already suggested.

I'm asking the same questions. Where is Marisol Guerra to kick Storm into action. She's so good at pushing Storm's buttons and making her look at her life differently. Tbh, I think that girl would be proud of this Storm. I honestly do. She'd gladly take guidance and advice from this woman. I'm still in shock that Ororo of Fearless and Wakanda's protector has shown up to give her opinion on mutant issues. Its really beautiful.
    Marisol, as much as I thought she was a brat, did knock some very much needed sense into Ororo. She forgot that she was the one who decides her path and loss sight of who she was as individual, one who can live and think beyond the xmen. And yes to the Ororo that appeared outside the xbooks. She isnt waiting for Kitty or anyone else to give her instructions on when to strike. She isnt wallowing in self pity on making a decision to fight a war that had to be fought. Shes is making her voice heard, saving lives and inspiring others by accepting who she is and realizing the great power she has been given. It's a sight to behold and yes definitely beautiful.

I think the first time was before her shaming Ororo for her sense of self. Remember she choked on her beverage as Ororo changed clothes. That was the very first time she tried to emotionally manipulate Ororo into being more "civilized". Then there's the time Jean was under someone's mind control and she saw Ororo as a slave woman. Where those her true feelings about Ororo or just emotions that were soon fed to her? She clearly called her by her birth name.

OMG!!!! I completely forgot about this. It's an early form of white privilege before it became known as such. How can Jean truly be Ororo's dearest friend when she has held such views about her? Has Jean ever expressed those thoughts she had against Ororo when she viewed her as an enslaved African? Did she ever apologize for trivializing Ororo's culture and norms in an effort to make her assimilate to Jean's understanding of the world? If anything their friendship shows is the massive amount of patience and love Ororo has for Jean. I couldnt tolerate that from anyone I called a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

No.

Preach my friend!!!!!!

Chile does ororo need to get in that @ss again??

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Chile does ororo need to get in that @ss again??
    See, that's what happens when there is a lack of diversity of writers and editors in comics and other businesses. Their privilege comes through in **** like this. She was the X-Men's "exotic" team member from Kenya who had to be "civilized" as you guys already noted. Their was a great episode of Static Shock when he went to Africa (I have no idea if they actually stated a particular country). Anyway, he noted how different and good it felt to not be looked at like the "black guy" and treated differently because of it. Now, don't get me wrong, there are so many ways to discriminate against people, even within the same cultural group. But oppression is different than mere discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Yes, I don't think Coates' elevation of Storm to Hadari Yao is meant to make her part of the Wakanda pantheon either. She's never been referred to in BP as an Orisha. The Wakandans tend to refer to her by many names, most of which are linked to her mutant powers--Walker of Clouds, the Goddess Who Preserves Balance of all Natural Things. That's what Hadari Yao is supposed to mean among the Alkamite people in BP. She isn't part of their old gods. I think they simply recognize the magnitude of her mutant power. More importantly, they seem to also attribute her kind and helpful nature as another sign of her godhood. What is actually just as interesting is that Coates has written that some Wakandans still think of Ororo as their queen. So, when taken together, the Wakandans have really embraced Storm as a mutant and just a person who they like, trust, and rely on in much the same way they do Shuri and BP. She has a family there.

So, if this part of Ororo is carried over into the X books, which it really should, I can't see her turning her back on a nation and a family who treat her as such. She's been written to feel uncomfortable with the idea of being viewed as a goddess but doesn't shy away from doing the very things Wakandans cite as examples of her godhood, such as protecting the nation and people and being there when their king went missing. As soon as Ramonda told her about T'Challa's MIA status she was there and seemed to stay and help fill the void. That's not a person who would give up her home and human connections.
    I agree with you here my friend. You bring up a very interesting point about the Alkamite people. One, I think this demonstrates that even though there are certain regions who revere her as a goddess it doesnt equate to all of wakanda. Also, I would love to know where the Alkamite region lies in proximity to Kenya. Perhaps this specific region has heard old stories of the Walker of the Clouds due to it being relatively close to Kenya and began to worship deities not indigenous to Wakanda.

Lastly, all of what you said in your last paragraph is why Ororo aligning with Krakoa prior to today's issue was very concerning to me. She is very much a hero for the WORLD and not just mutants. I guess now for me is how will the Xoffices handle her interaction with Tchalla. Will it be shown in the same loving manner it has been displayed in Coates' BP? I'm not encouraged it will.