Page 492 of 662 FirstFirst ... 392442482488489490491492493494495496502542592 ... LastLast
Results 7,366 to 7,380 of 9921

Whatever happens between Storm and Nakia should be handled with civility and not like a high school fight between two teenagers in a schoolyard. Nothing happened between T'Challa and Nakia.

I don't recall Emma and Jean fighting over Scott so I don't see why the need for a fight between Nakia and Storm.

Mighty Member

Its been interesting reading folks thoughts about Storm vs other Black women.. I think we can think about it like this.. For representation to be full, reflective, we can always be perfect. While I know why we champion Black excellence, we have to have space for Black mediocrity. Always having to be exceptional is such a burden and is entrenched in respectability politics that we have to understand but also move past. True equality is BIPOC being able to be flawed in ways that white people are allowed to be in media and in life.

Additionally, I love the comments on Black love, solidarity, friendship and kinship. We need more of this and we definitely need it in the X-men mythos.

Storm, CeCe, Monet, Roberto, Bishop, Synch, Oya, Manifold, Cipher, Prodigy( I hope he stays around), Blink( She was mad Black and vanished),etc all need to be connected and show kinship beyond mutant solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Whatever happens between Storm and Nakia should be handled with civility and not like a high school fight between two teenagers in a schoolyard. Nothing happened between T'Challa and Nakia.

I don't recall Emma and Jean fighting over Scott so I don't see why the need for a fight between Nakia and Storm.
    I don't know why anytime two unhappy black women are in a room together people assume they are going to throw down. I wonder what the trigger is for that.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Fearless had the three of them together and it was fine, could of been better in terms of character interactions between the three though. I could see a road trip scenario being fun if Marvel gets a writer who really understands the characters and knows how to make their interactions fun. Fearless was OK, but the interactions could have been much more interesting and their personalities could have been showcased more.
    Yeah also they were in a camp setting so they had to keep their hair up.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Its been interesting reading folks thoughts about Storm vs other Black women.. I think we can think about it like this.. For representation to be full, reflective, we can always be perfect. While I know why we champion Black excellence, we have to have space for Black mediocrity. Always having to be exceptional is such a burden and is entrenched in respectability politics that we have to understand but also move past. True equality is BIPOC being able to be flawed in ways that white people are allowed to be in media and in life.

Additionally, I love the comments on Black love, solidarity, friendship and kinship. We need more of this and we definitely need it in the X-men mythos.

Storm, CeCe, Monet, Roberto, Bishop, Synch, Oya, Manifold, Cipher, Prodigy( I hope he stays around), Blink( She was mad Black and vanished),etc all need to be connected and show kinship beyond mutant solidarity.
    I don't even think it's a case of Black excellence. The idea of two grown women fighting over a man is dumb and vice versa.

In this case what highlights the issue is the fact that there are so few Black characters and when we do see them interact, we want a bond. Not only are we heroes, mutants, etc., we share a common bond of race which is a powerful bond. If we're promoting mutant unity, how can we not do the same for Black unity.

Now, I know that conflict will and should exist but not get into a physical fight because of "I got your woman/man" type isht.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't know why anytime two unhappy black women are in a room together people assume they are going to throw down. I wonder what the trigger is for that.
    There was a lot of that being thrown around.

Mighty Member

I don't even think it's a case of Black excellence. The idea of two grown women fighting over a man is dumb and vice versa.

In this case what highlights the issue is the fact that there are so few Black characters and when we do see them interact, we want a bond. Not only are we heroes, mutants, etc., we share a common bond of race which is a powerful bond. If we're promoting mutant unity, how can we not do the same for Black unity.

Now, I know that conflict will and should exist but not get into a physical fight because of "I got your woman/man" type isht.
    But that is real life.. I mean think about the Soap Opera genre. In white soap opera, Black characters are one dimensional (the friend, the support, the moral compass) but in the few Black centric ones we have had good guys, bad guys, complex people with complex lives and needs. To show this complexity is to show our humanity to its fullest degree. We need the full range of the human experience and women do fight over men, women fight over women, men fight over men, and men fight over women.

The late Diahaan Carol left an indelible mark not only because she was played Julia, the first Black female lead on US network TV. But because she played the first female Black villain on Dynasty. This is why folks love and hate Reality shows like RHOA, RHOP, etc because while they balk at it they love seeing variety, the emotion, that impulses that they often force down. Why is it that New York (Tiffany) has been able to be a house hold legend since flavor of love. There is still agency and self love in being who you are on your own terms.

There was a lot of that being thrown around.
    Oh no i wasn't implying you started it i was wondering in general. Should have put a question mark. Even in real life, i wonder what makes us want to suppress the black woman so much even in our own communities. Just made me think about it.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    But that is real life.. I mean think about the Soap Opera genre. In white soap opera, Black characters are one dimensional (the friend, the support, the moral compass) but in the few Black centric ones we have had good guys, bad guys, complex people with complex lives and needs. To show this complexity is to show our humanity to its fullest degree. We need the full range of the human experience and women do fight over men, women fight over women, men fight over men, and men fight over women.

The late Diahaan Carol left an indelible mark not only because she was played Julia, the first Black female lead on US network TV. But because she played the first female Black villain on Dynasty. This is why folks love and hate Reality shows like RHOA, RHOP, etc because while they balk at it they love seeing variety, the emotion, that impulses that they often force down. Why is it that New York (Tiffany) has been able to be a house hold legend since flavor of love. There is still agency and self love in being who you are on your own terms.
    I get real life, I do, but it still doesn't make it a great idea to do. Women can fight over men and vice versa. But do we need to see a physical fight, two women coming to blows when there are other ways to get the point across? Also, there are other things that happen in real life that we don't see a lot of in comics and in fact posters debate it at great length.

Oh no i wasn't implying you started it i was wondering in general. Should have put a question mark. Even in real life, i wonder what makes us want to suppress the black woman so much even in our own communities. Just made me think about it.
    My bad.

To me it's an issue because like I mentioned, there are so few POC and women in particular. Why do we want to have a scene where they fight about a guy.

Agreed! Being black i'd assume shade would be thrown first or at least a little passive aggressiveness I do when I don't like someone.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    So black women agree with one another all of a sudden? Has anyone ever heard of the revolt summit?
    Ororo is a goddess...high priestess of the most powerful nation in the MU, she does not have time to be sitting around arguing with Nakia of all people.
    Or anyone else for that matter tbqvh.

Oh, they definitely fought(at least in an astral sense). It was kinda amazing though. But at least there is a closer power dynamic between those two ladies(obviously Jean is the stronger of the two, but Emma isn't nothing), whereas Nakia is an ant next to Ororo.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Oh, they definitely fought(at least in an astral sense). It was kinda amazing though. But at least there is a closer power dynamic between those two ladies(obviously Jean is the stronger of the two, but Emma isn't nothing), whereas Nakia is an ant next to Ororo.
    Were they fighting to see who would actually be with Scott?

Were they fighting to see who would actually be with Scott?

There are many pages of this, but you get the idea. The fandoms(Jean's and Emma's) are still bitter about this stuff almost 20 years later.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!