Page 660 of 662 FirstFirst ... 160560610650656657658659660661662 LastLast
Results 9,886 to 9,900 of 9921

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    there was great potential with her characterization but they did drop the ball hard with her.
    The entire premise of Wolverine being the grand leader of the X-Men necessitated both Storm and Cyclops be mischaracterized. Cyke getting all emo after Jean dies/Phoenixes is basically accurate to his canon, but for Storm to run off to Africa to play goddess again after Jean/Xavier 'died' in that universe was way OOC. She would have risen to the mantle of leadership like she did in the comics when Xavier was in space after Jean died/Cyke left.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I think i agree here:

Now classified as an Omega mutant, Storm has taken on the role of High Priestess of Krakoa. She also appears to be the X-Man who's most bought into the idea of mutant supremacy - which would place her at odds with her old lover, Black Panther. It would be fascinating to explore Storm's divided loyalties in detail, especially given Wakanda is one of the nations refusing to deal in mutant drugs, meaning the X-Men will be pursuing a policy of regime change there. As with some of the other suggestions, Storm would help connect the X-books to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

thoughts

https://screenrant.com/best-xmen-des...-marvel-comic/
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-29-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I think i agree here:

Now classified as an Omega mutant, Storm has taken on the role of High Priestess of Krakoa. She also appears to be the X-Man who's most bought into the idea of mutant supremacy - which would place her at odds with her old lover, Black Panther. It would be fascinating to explore Storm's divided loyalties in detail, especially given Wakanda is one of the nations refusing to deal in mutant drugs, meaning the X-Men will be pursuing a policy of regime change there. As with some of the other suggestions, Storm would help connect the X-books to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

thoughts

Well, I think the omega classification was overdue. I think her being the spiritual leader of Krakoa makes sense. I have no idea how the BP relationship will be handled

Astonishing Member

Well it was never stated the Krakoa is pursuing regime change in nations that refused the deal only that they would undermine the regime, which isn’t necessarily the same thing. That’s not to say that’s not a possible objective though given the fact that Wakanda is for all intents and purposes the strongest human nation in the MU. Their gods returned after being missing since ANAD, they’re in the process of claiming an intergalactic mirror of itself with control of 5 galaxies, T’Challa is leading the Avengers, they control the world’s premier intelligence network/superhuman response team in the AoW (replacing SHIELD). It’s not out the realm of possibility that if Charles wanted to “take out” humanity he’d be uniquely interested in defeating Wakanda as they seem like the first line of defense.

But I don’t think that’s the story Hickman is going for so a Storm solo is gonna require a bit more meat on its bones than Krakoa vs Wakanda. That’s a story that can take place in an arc of X-Men, Maurauders, or even the BP book itself if Coates and Hickman are talking about ways to collaborate, which I think is pretty certain. Coates is a fan of his work and Hickman recognized the BP-Storm romance in New Avengers so it’s very likely that when the X-Men status quo begins to converge with the rest of the MU Storm’s connection to Wakanda will play a role in some limited way. So overall I’m not impressed with the ideas floated in the article as it’s not enough to justify a solo.

Besides all that I’d rather Storm just leave the BP office so T’Challa can get his own in-mythos love interest that writers have full editorial control over. It’s not good for a leading Avenger like him to have what at many times feels like a one-sided romance where every few years some X-Men vs everybody situation forces him into an unnecessary conflict. Storm should find a mutant like 90% of X-fans probably want and the connection between them shouldn’t dominate the narrative for either character. The fact that the only hook for a Storm book the contributor had was contingent on her relationship to Wakanda doesn’t look good for the X-office’s supposed top black female with decades of leadership in the mutant cause.
    Last edited by chief12d; 12-29-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The entire premise of Wolverine being the grand leader of the X-Men necessitated both Storm and Cyclops be mischaracterized. Cyke getting all emo after Jean dies/Phoenixes is basically accurate to his canon, but for Storm to run off to Africa to play goddess again after Jean/Xavier 'died' in that universe was way OOC. She would have risen to the mantle of leadership like she did in the comics when Xavier was in space after Jean died/Cyke left.
    yrs agreed here. her running back to Africa doesnt seem in character especially based upon your points.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Well it was never stated the Krakoa is pursuing regime change in nations that refused the deal only that they would undermine the regime, which isn’t necessarily the same thing. That’s not to say that’s not a possible objective though given the fact that Wakanda is for all intents and purposes the strongest human nation in the MU. Their gods returned after being missing since ANAD, they’re in the process of claiming an intergalactic mirror of itself with control of 5 galaxies, T’Challa is leading the Avengers, they control the world’s premier intelligence network/superhuman response team in the AoW (replacing SHIELD). It’s not out the realm of possibility that if Charles wanted to “take out” humanity he’d be uniquely interested in defeating Wakanda as they seem like the first line of defense.

But I don’t think that’s the story Hickman is going for so a Storm solo is gonna require a bit more meat on its bones than Krakoa vs Wakanda. That’s a story that can take place in an arc of X-Men, Maurauders, or even the BP book itself if Coates and Hickman are talking about ways to collaborate, which I think is pretty certain. Coates is a fan of his work and Hickman recognized the BP-Storm romance in New Avengers so it’s very likely that when the X-Men status quo begins to converge with the rest of the MU Storm’s connection to Wakanda will play a role in some limited way. So overall I’m not impressed with the ideas floated in the article as it’s not enough to justify a solo.

Besides all that I’d rather Storm just leave the BP office so T’Challa can get his own in-mythos love interest that writers have full editorial control over. It’s not good for a leading Avenger like him to have what at many times feels like a one-sided romance where every few years some X-Men vs everybody situation forces him into an unnecessary conflict. Storm should find a mutant like 90% of X-fans probably want and the connection between them shouldn’t dominate the narrative for either character. The fact that the only hook for a Storm book the contributor had was contingent on her relationship to Wakanda doesn’t look good for the X-office’s supposed top black female with decades of leadership in the mutant cause.
    This would be the most logical thing to do. Marvel has no desire to give Storm a life outside of the X-verse for any lengthy period of time.

The best thing for her would be to find someone in her orbit and go from there.

I find it a little odd that Storm, as Women who has always been a goddess to everyone and has always been protecting Humans. Long before Xaiver showed up and is the face of HumanMutant Relationship.
    Would be this far gone,
    I assume she would have had her own voice , Maybe the last champion of HumamMutant co-op.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

High Priestess of Krakoa and foremost loudly vocal advocate of absolute Mutant Supremacy does seem like a different character from, at least, her appearances in "Black Panther." As a troubled and persecuted "final human extermination by mutantdom" conspiracy theorist, I worry for when Coates' run ends and the X-Office fully turns Ororo into the divine decimator of obsolete homo sapiens.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

mauraders is too focused on kitty and emma to do anything beyond that. ororo is unfortunately just a prop in the book. that said I couldnt disagree with you more. leave ororo to solely the xmen and she will continue to be regulated to not being central to any of the storytelling as she has been since the marriage was annulled. in fact, since the marriage ended what noteworthy stories have centered around her? we have ivx and the terrigen mist but her biggest development was what occurred outside the xbooks.

Astonishing Member

mauraders is too focused on kitty and emma to do anything beyond that. ororo is unfortunately just a prop in the book. that said I couldnt disagree with you more. leave ororo to solely the xmen and she will continue to be regulated to not being central to any of the storytelling as she has been since the marriage was annulled. in fact, since the marriage ended what noteworthy stories have centered around her? we have ivx and the terrigen mist but her biggest development was what occurred outside the xbooks.

As a black man it sucks to see Storm fall so low and be a footnote in the narrative development of the X-books. There are writers and fans who love Storm to be present, but not actually heard or driving the direction of the franchise in the compelling, layered manner that her white counterparts like Cyclops and Wolverine do. She’s a token and that’s probably the role she’ll continue to play until the MCU forces editorial to be more substantial like it did with BP himself.

But as a Black Panther fan I don’t give a damn because it’s not the responsibility of books outside the X-office to elevate or position her as a prominent player within the comics. From now until the end of time Storm will be an X-Man first so it falls to writers and fans invested in that mythos to push the character in such a way that she can be central within the books where she predominantly appears in. No amount of flowery praises by Coates, restructuring of the Wakandan pantheon, or references in comics like AoW can do that.

I completely agree that since her return to the X-office she’s been done dirty and been given empty leadership positions with bare bones characterization. I fully expect that continue within Marauders (which I’m on the verge of dropping anyway). But I fail to see how Storm’s languishing position within the X-Men line intersects with T’Challa as a leading Avenger who frankly doesn’t need her as a love interest.

Comics aren’t charities and outside this dubious “power couple” thing Marvel is trying to push them as, on basically every metric it’s better for BP as a character to have a love interest (or several like his white counterparts) from his own mythos. In terms of increasing his accessibility to new readers, making him a better power fantasy, etc. there’s absolutely no benefit in 2019 to T’Challa being singularly focused on a played out relationship from the early 2000s. It may be great for Storm fans as it gives them some hope she can rise from the X-ghetto but it hurts the long term success of the BP franchise. If Marvel truly wanted both characters to ascend they’d break them up and build both characters independent of one another.

BANNED

I think i agree here:

thoughts

I understand what this article was trying to convey, but I disagree with a few points. I've seen it referenced by a few posters and now this article also calls her High Priestess of Krakoa. I've yet to read it for myself in actual comic unless I missed it. What does that title mean anyway? If she's simply a "minister" of mutant ideology then they can throw it all away.

Nothing about Storm's characterization across Black Panther or Fearless reads as a mutant supremacist. Yes, her loyalties are divided, but Hickman at least writes her as a woman that's willing and able to rise to the occasion. She may have referred to humans as "man" in X-Men, but she did exactly the same thing with T'Challa under Coates. Hickman even left a little nod that Storm is overworking herself. Cyclops noticed she's a bit tired. I choose to look at it as confirmation that our girl is handling business all over the globe. What's even more beautiful is Coates just had Ororo admit to her own ignorance where her understanding of the African American condition was sorely lacking. It took time, but even she came to look deeper in search of a more balanced and nuanced interpretation of whast it means to be both mutant and black. She's now acutely aware of all the communities that look to her in admiration. The mutant supremacist schtick just doesn't fit. It stifles everything she is.

What I love most about this current climate is that what we're witnessing with her inclusion in X-Men/X-Force/Marauders, Fearless and Black Panther is precisely where Yost left her at the end of WAP. I believe Coates has woven a wicked web that ties all of HER mythos together. BECAUSE this Ororo knows the importance of dedicating herself to a thriving mutant, what sense for this same woman to condemn a nation of that took up arms and closed their borders to world that sought to pillage and plunder them like every other country in Africa? If you think about it, it makes her a huge fucking hypocrite. If we're going with the "high priestess" angle (the talking head that regurgitates white mutant supremacy) as her true direction under the new X-regime, then her conflict with T'Challa does seem inevitable and even more so uninspired.

If she's really the self aware, black, female, mutant, goddess with agency then her narrative within the X-Men demands that she acts as the bridge between these two nations. She's the one mutant that understands why both these nations must exist. She's in all of these places that demand her attention because of the different ties they have on her heart. She understands what's at stake for both. She's capable of weighing the pros and cons of both, and she's already committed herself Wakanda and Krakoa. Her mission should not be about picking sides, it should be about her showing everyone a better way.

BANNED

You raise some good points. IMO a greater examination of Storm's connection to the rulers of both nations serves to enhance her narrative.

Coates has it well established that Ororo is quick enough to deduce when T'Challa is lying to her. On that front she's capable of keeping up with the most intelligent man she's ever known. What Coates has also revealed is that T'Challa KNOWS that Xavier lied to Ororo. Her godhead is proof of this. I'm also inclined to believe that T'Challa knows about Magneto threatening ambassadors, Cyclops' ominously mentioning Franklin to his parents, and Xavier sanctioning mutant murderers and terrorists free reign over Krakoa.

Not only does it make very little sense for T'Challa to blindly follow Xavier or his council considering a Wakandan empire grew out of control right under T'Challa's nose. It makes even less sense when one reads Priest's versions of T'Challa and Ororo where she scolds him for walking a path that she sees him becoming like Magneto. Coates has more than covered his bases and left T'Challa with the moral high ground. It's even funnier because under Coates T'Challa has given in to the desire of his people to have a ruling council. Lolololol Shuri may have a stance that Wakanda needs its king. She certainly wasnt the only one to say so. The story shows us that there's still a democratic council in Wakanda, but they're so abysmally out of their depth. Nevertheless, T'Challa cannot be blamed for ignoring a treaty with Krakoa while there's a ruling council. I know many will ignore that to lay problems at his feet tho.

Coates' use of Nakia is also a brilliant move IMO. T'Challa has a Wakandan love interest and he isn't solely pin9ng after Ororo as a puppy dog. I doubt that Storm's mutant love interest would up her usability factor. Did her fling with Wolverine teach us nothing? I know what you meant by offering up a love interest that the X-office has full control over, but doesn't that sound like a boost in popularity and credibility due to her romantic relationship? That's what happened after AvX on through IvX, but most disagree, as is their right. The point is this already happened and we saw what sort of stories were made available to her. Lolololol she was bullied by Medusa, betrayed and belittled by Emma, all while Storm cowered in the corner from cloud.

I disagree that T'Challa and Wakanda are Storm's only way to advance her mythos, but I can't deny that it IS viewed as baggage that her character was saddled with. It doesn't make sense to run from it. The X-writers didn't run from Cyclops as the "terrorist", they didn't run from Emma as the "batshit crazy scorned woman". No, they took the bull by the horns and changed their narrative for the better. I love that Emma is still a business woman all about bankrolling mutant causes. I think its badass that Xavier became the world's richest man surpassing T'Challa pretty much overnight. Ororo needs to be shown making moves on the world stage as well. Fearless hit the right story beats with her without even a mention of Wakanda. The X-books need to match then surpass that bar.

So Storm is the High Priestess of Krakoa.
    The Spiritual and Moral figured head.
    Makes sense.
    (Lol) (She's the Pope)

I have been enjoying her small cameos throughout the books. Especially in the re creating of X-Force.
    I think she barley said two line but the lines spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Can we all agree WaTXM Storm was just the worse. I cannot help but get upset everytime I watch the series.
    Yeah I would agree. Ranking her against X-Men TAS and Evo (hell even anime) I would rank WatX Storm the lowest. She had a few cool moments but lacked in the agency, power (though she had a few cool power moments) and presence.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Its Jalicia Nightingale. Barbados finest :3
    She is gorgeous! It has been a few years since I went to St Michaels and St Phillips to see my family.

there was great potential with her characterization but they did drop the ball hard with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Agreed. I liked that we got some good focus on Bishop, Polaris & Marrow but Storm & Cyclops were sacrificed to push Wolverine - which was an epic fail. I like Logan but he is Storm or Cyclops when it comes to leadership, agency or vision.
    I think i agree here:

thoughts

I think this is interesting and I agree with these options for solos (or at least a 12 issue mini each). These story concepts are well thought out. With respect to Storm I love the idea of her being the High Priestess of Krakoa, and taking on the role of in an inspirational spiritual leader to guide the emotional and spiritual healing of mutants, and setting the moral and ethical standards for how they should engage with the world. I can see how her unique position can present multiple conflicts from within and outside of Krakoa, specifically Wakanda and the hero community in general that holds her in high esteem. I don’t see her trying to overthrow Wakanda (or any nation for that matter) to push Krakoa’s agenda. I’d only see her something like that against nations who oppress their people (human or mutant).

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I understand what this article was trying to convey, but I disagree with a few points. I've seen it referenced by a few posters and now this article also calls her High Priestess of Krakoa. I've yet to read it for myself in actual comic unless I missed it. What does that title mean anyway? If she's simply a "minister" of mutant ideology then they can throw it all away.

Nothing about Storm's characterization across Black Panther or Fearless reads as a mutant supremacist. Yes, her loyalties are divided, but Hickman at least writes her as a woman that's willing and able to rise to the occasion. She may have referred to humans as "man" in X-Men, but she did exactly the same thing with T'Challa under Coates. Hickman even left a little nod that Storm is overworking herself. Cyclops noticed she's a bit tired. I choose to look at it as confirmation that our girl is handling business all over the globe. What's even more beautiful is Coates just had Ororo admit to her own ignorance where her understanding of the African American condition was sorely lacking. It took time, but even she came to look deeper in search of a more balanced and nuanced interpretation of whast it means to be both mutant and black. She's now acutely aware of all the communities that look to her in admiration. The mutant supremacist schtick just doesn't fit. It stifles everything she is.

What I love most about this current climate is that what we're witnessing with her inclusion in X-Men/X-Force/Marauders, Fearless and Black Panther is precisely where Yost left her at the end of WAP. I believe Coates has woven a wicked web that ties all of HER mythos together. BECAUSE this Ororo knows the importance of dedicating herself to a thriving mutant, what sense for this same woman to condemn a nation of that took up arms and closed their borders to world that sought to pillage and plunder them like every other country in Africa? If you think about it, it makes her a huge fucking hypocrite. If we're going with the "high priestess" angle (the talking head that regurgitates white mutant supremacy) as her true direction under the new X-regime, then her conflict with T'Challa does seem inevitable and even more so uninspired.

If she's really the self aware, black, female, mutant, goddess with agency then her narrative within the X-Men demands that she acts as the bridge between these two nations. She's the one mutant that understands why both these nations must exist. She's in all of these places that demand her attention because of the different ties they have on her heart. She understands what's at stake for both. She's capable of weighing the pros and cons of both, and she's already committed herself Wakanda and Krakoa. Her mission should not be about picking sides, it should be about her showing everyone a better way.
    100% agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    So Storm is the High Priestess of Krakoa.
    The Spiritual and Moral figured head.
    Makes sense.
    (Lol) (She's the Pope)

I have been enjoying her small cameos throughout the books. Especially in the re creating of X-Force.
    I think she barley said two line but the lines spoke.
    Agreed. Percy was wielding Storm like a blade in X-Force. Nice strategic cuts with a scalpel with just a few lines. Part of me would love her to join that cast (all of Summer house) and that be her primary book.

Yeah, I wish X-Force was her primary book too. In general it's the most interesting book, and her background as a head of state, with connections to the UN Security Council, would be better utilized there. Marauders is just fluff.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!