Page 580 of 744 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630680 ... LastLast
Results 8,686 to 8,700 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Your details are somewhat incorrect.

A Wrinkle In Time is an award-winning novel written at a time when people didn't "aim at GIRLS". I've read it. Hell, I still have the copy I bought when I was a kid.
    The lead character in the book is NOT described as bi-racial. That choice was almost certainly DuVernay's.
    The character played by Oprah is pretty much unrecognizable as the book character, as are her "sisters". Wanna guess whose choice was that?

You seem to think that the creative decisions in Wrinkle that didn't work are somehow not the director's fault. But then again, this entire discussion seems to not understand the influence a director has on a film. "It's the character/franchise! That's what makes money!"

If that was the case, all those Batman films would have made as much money as TDK. All the Spider-Man movies would have done as well, too. After all the franchise is more important than the director?

Right?

Pardon my French, but bullsiht.

History is FULL of hit franchises, from James Bond to Star Wars, where a bad script/director leads to a bad movie. (Does the name Solo ring a bell?). The reason the MCU has done so well is not because of any "franchise", but because Marvel Studios in general (and, I suspect, Feige in particular) have been smart about picking the right directors for the right films.

Coogler (and his writing partner, Joe Robert Cole) took a character barely known to the public at large and created a great script, which he turned into a great movie. Implying that there are a number of other directors, black or otherwise, who could have done as good of a job begs a simple question:

"Where are their 3 billion dollar movies?"

Now, it's entirely possible that you may be right. Maybe someone else could have done as well or better (but I still think DuVernay is over-rated).

All I ask is that you give Coogler some credit for his achievement.

Respect the man's skills!
    Oh man, good post and good points made.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Hopeful I'll be able to attend. Hoping Coogler/Coates have some BP talk in there as well.
    ALOUDla

@ALOUDla
    16h16 hours ago
    More
    Angelenos! It's not too late to get tickets to see Ta-Nehisi Coates in conversation with Ryan Coogler. They'll be discussing Coates' latest novel, The Water Dancer, which mediates on history, race, and identity.

Your details are somewhat incorrect.

A Wrinkle In Time is an award-winning novel written at a time when people didn't "aim at GIRLS". I've read it. Hell, I still have the copy I bought when I was a kid.
    The lead character in the book is NOT described as bi-racial. That choice was almost certainly DuVernay's.
    The character played by Oprah is pretty much unrecognizable as the book character, as are her "sisters". Wanna guess whose choice was that?

You seem to think that the creative decisions in Wrinkle that didn't work are somehow not the director's fault. But then again, this entire discussion seems to not understand the influence a director has on a film. "It's the character/franchise! That's what makes money!"

If that was the case, all those Batman films would have made as much money as TDK. All the Spider-Man movies would have done as well, too. After all the franchise is more important than the director?

Right?

Pardon my French, but bullsiht.

History is FULL of hit franchises, from James Bond to Star Wars, where a bad script/director leads to a bad movie. (Does the name Solo ring a bell?). The reason the MCU has done so well is not because of any "franchise", but because Marvel Studios in general (and, I suspect, Feige in particular) have been smart about picking the right directors for the right films.

Coogler (and his writing partner, Joe Robert Cole) took a character barely known to the public at large and created a great script, which he turned into a great movie. Implying that there are a number of other directors, black or otherwise, who could have done as good of a job begs a simple question:

"Where are their 3 billion dollar movies?"

Now, it's entirely possible that you may be right. Maybe someone else could have done as well or better (but I still think DuVernay is over-rated).

All I ask is that you give Coogler some credit for his achievement.

Respect the man's skills!

Game set and match

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

I would love if Marvel did a TPB of Black Panther: Stan Lee Series.

The TPB should contain at a minimum:

Fantastic Four #52-53
    Fantastic Four #54
    Fantastic Four Annual #5
    Tales of Suspense #97-99, Captain American #100

Marvel, if you see this post, please make it happen.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's a great one. Thanks for sharing!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Read an article (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/10...-ryan-coogler/ ) that mentioned Coolger is just starting on the script for Black Panther 2. You know, since he's about to have his first baby with his wife, it's probably a good idea to postpone the movie so he can give his personal and professional live the right amount of attention and create a great sequel to BP.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

They did have a child earlier this year actually from what I just read (people found out in February) but obviously he/she is still very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Read an article (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/10...-ryan-coogler/ ) that mentioned Coolger is just starting on the script for Black Panther 2. You know, since he's about to have his first baby with his wife, it's probably a good idea to postpone the movie so he can give his personal and professional live the right amount of attention and create a great sequel to BP.
    postpone? The movie's coming out in 2022.
    The J-man

In the case of the first movie, Coogler started working on the script in 2016, and filming didn't start until January of 2017. So this is actually a bit early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Exactly what I thought.

How much more time do you need?
    Last edited by Dboi654; 10-05-2019 at 06:20 PM.

BANNED

Ava Duvernay does not need to be thrown under the proverbial bus for anyone.

Her "When They See Us" was a powerful piece of work based on an actual event as opposed to comic book fantasies brought to life on the big screen.

She has put in major work crafting powerful films chronicling events that impact heavily upon people of African descent and for that, she deserves respect.

I have no idea whether she would have done a good job directing the BP movie but I do know that Marvel went to her before Coogler so they at least felt that she was a good choice.

She chose to decline the opportunity no harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    By postpone, I meant having the movie come out in 2022 instead of sooner.

Trailer for the Marvel Rising special with Shuri:

Since there hasn't been any news regarding a new season of Avengers Assemble/BP's Quest, I'm assuming that means that the show is officially over?