Page 431 of 744 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434435441481531 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,465 of 11160
    Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

sorry for the quality but this could be awesome
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Maybe I'm being to apprehensive, but I don't see how you can do everything you're talking about here in one movie while T'Challa is still the focus. It's very very ambitious, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it's putting too much movie in a movie (something the Aquaman film had a problem with). You suddenly have to throw in lots and lots of exposition to get people up to speed, and you lose character development because of that. This sort of thing you're describing works in comics or a TV series where you have more than enough time to tell all those plot threads, not in a 2-3 hour film.

What Coogler has shown me at least in the first film is that he sees T'Challa and Wakanda as a beacon of hope that can be used to help and make the world a better place. I don't see you can fully realise that idea if you're putting Wakanda at war with yet another secret advanced nation. All you're doing is emphasising why Wakanda is a global instrument of war, not of peace.

What I want (and what I think Coogler should do) is go in the direction of showing Wakanda actually start to make changes in a world (being the MCU world) that we know now has issues of systematic oppression, especially for the black diaspora. Think about how bold that is for a second. Part of what made the first film connect with so many of us was the wish fulfillment. Killmonger's dream is something many recognise as violent, but the idea behind irt (fighting back against centuries of ongoing oppression) is something many people WISH they could do. That's why the character became a huge deal, because as fictional as he was, several of his lines played on people's real emotions. I still think that little speech N'Jobu gave to T'Chaka in his apartment is the boldest scene in the entire MCU, because it was, as they say, "real shit."

The sequel needs to come with that same energy, or I guarantee you it will not have the same reverence as the first film. You talk about politics, and I say this is the kind of politics the sequel should zero in on. I admit being the pointman of all superhero politics sounds appealing, but you have to put him on that level first, which is what the sequel needs to do first by establishing and discussing Wakanda as the new world superpower running things people don't expect, in ways that speak truth to the audience, in ways they WISH things could be in the real world. Like Killmonger said, "Wakanda has the tools to liberate them all" but this time it's science, information, education, poverty reduction, aid, refugee programs, and social outreach. How do world governments feel about that? How does that change the dynamics of who's on top and who's at the bottom? How does that shake up the status quo? That's the sort of thing the sequel should address because no film has ever gone there before.

I'll admit I didn't see that Yetide tagged Coogler (seeing that he doesn't have a Twitter account) because I don't look at hashtags for some habit/reason. Still, my initial comment was not directed at you, and it does not particularly make her post relevant here still. I'm saying that so we keep things on topic, because one thing I particularly do not like is when suddenly I have to go through 5 pages of pointless and stale Storm debate. It's the same things over and over, the same feelings, the same arguments. It derails the thread, and it's not needed. Good on Yetide for pulling a Simu Liu and campaigning for Storm (she is actually a pick I would love to see), but seeing as how many would react to Storm stuff here, why post it here? A rumour that Storm may appear in the sequel is far more relevant to the topic that someone campaigning for a role likely to not be initially attached to BP.

I should also add this and make of it what you will: I would greatly like Storm as a character if I personally felt she had a lot more going for her other than being BP's fling at the moment. I would greatly like to see her contribute something to the recent House of X/Powers of X event that justifies her existence as an X-Man. Some people have said it here, and I completely agree with it: There is no point associating Storm with the BP franchise if the X-Books aren't ready to relinquish her to the BP franchise fully. Seeing that will probably never happen, I want to see Storm be a fully fledged character with her own agency and more standout moments and stories in the franchise she is part of now, rather than being in the background there and then being in another franchise as a supporting character. You'd be wrong to assume I'm a Storm hater, because the time she was used in Hudlin's BP run are among my favourite BP stories. I'm simply saying I do not think what you want for her is what she deserves.
    Nah I don't think you're too apprehensive. There's definitely a balancing act involved in constructing a shared universe and I think because T'Challa had such a multifaceted first film it's gonna take extra work to keep it consistent as the MCU expands. So I wanna clarify that some of the points I made in my previous posts would be things integrated into the MCU over time, through a mix of throwaway lines and references.

For example, we don't need to see a BP film bring in the X-Men to demonstrate Wakanda being a major leader for mutant rights, it could be referenced in an X-Men film that Wakanda helps fund their tech or helped them get out of trouble with the UN after they have an international incident. Similar to how it was referenced that Tony helped develop the helicarriers used in Winter Soldier. It's a way of expanding the character's influence without having to waste precious screentime in that character's own trilogy, giving them the best of both worlds lol. Same goes for stuff like global embargoes on Latveria (reference in FF), facilitating relations with Atlantis (Avengers), etc. T'Challa and Wakanda being prominent on the world stage isn't an idea that only has to be depicted in his trilogy, it's an ongoing narrative that should be confirmed in other films as the MCU continues.

And while I certainly get that Coogler established Wakanda as a beacon of hope, I think he also hit at this theme of war and peace being a continuum. The kingdom's in this unique situation where it needs to be a benevolent world power while simultaneously protecting itself from a greedy outside world. That speaks to this whole idea that T'Challa is gonna need to open the kingdom to addressing global disenfranchisement, but that Wakanda needs to take a leading role in international peace for their own protection. In that sense I think we can see both Wakanda helping the global poor through tech and education (while dealing with the fallout) and managing the rise of other superpowered nations and the global arms races. Neither of those things seem inconsistent with Wakanda's new MO as they open up to the rest of the world.

In fact, we saw T'Challa doing the latter to a certain extent in his first appearance. He and his father were spearheading a shift in Wakandan policy towards aiding in world security through their support of the Sokovia Accords. And this was before they had even considered revealing Wakanda's actual capabilities. With the kingdom's true nature revealed to the rest of world, it's rather natural they would be a more outspoken voice on issues of global stability and actively use their resources to support said stability.

I kinda hate how one of T'challa's "defining images" these days is him standing in front of a burning Wakanda.

That Stelfreeze cover is everywhere. Even at Hobby Lobby in poster form.

I like the Acuna version so much more, but hasn't seem to caught on as much as Stelfreezes #1
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I kinda hate how one of T'challa's "defining images" these days is him standing in front of a burning Wakanda.

That Stelfreeze cover is everywhere. Even at Hobby Lobby in poster form.

I like the Acuna version so much more, but hasn't seem to caught on as much as Stelfreezes #1
    Because Stelfreeze's was the original and Acunas is a copy, same with the artist who did the cover of BP Wow with Kasper in the same look. Acunas is a million times better. And, given what we know about what Coates thinks of BP and Black people in general, Stelfreeze made a bast dam mistake with that cover, same with issue twos cover, and same with that other cover, Issue 7 I wanna say? With T'Challa kneeling with several white guys with guns around him and his habit is destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Just dropping this off in case anyone is interested.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY190862
    I like the art and it's nice seeing T'Challa reunited with his family. T'Challa and N'jadaka need to square off already.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

So in almost 14 issues he still hasn't come face to face with NuKillmonger in the 5 or how many years he's been there besides a flashback that hasn't been expanded on yet?

Yeah this story has lasted way too long.

so what's been the highlight of this run so far?
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    so what's been the highlight of this run so far?
    Artwork.

10Char

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Artwork.

10Char
    Acuna artwork to be more specific

So like.... first two issues? lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

1-800-HUMANE-SOCIETY

(ring ring)

Humane Society: "Humane Society how may I help you?"

Flex Hectic: "Uhm yeah, I would like to file a complaint."

Humane Society: "Against whom sir?"

Flex Hectic: "Various members of the Black Panther thread at CBR."

Humane Society: "I don't follow you sir..."

Flex Hectic: "CBR stands for Comic Book Resources and it's one of the hottest places for all things comics and whatnot... Some of the other places kind of sort of went belly up but good ole CBR keeps plugging along though."

Humane Society: "Is it a forum or like Snapchat... Facebook perhaps..."

Flex Hectic: "It's a forum but with news blogs and other neat to eat treats."

Humane Society: "Okaaaaaay... And how does this pertain to the mistreatment of animals?"

Flex Hectic: "Well... I was at Petco and it turns out that they have some Marvel stuff for your pets."

Humane Society: "Oh how cool."

Flex Hectic: "So I bought my dog a Black Panther leash."

Humane Society: "Are you talking about that 1.3 billion dollar movie that I saw 4 times in the theater... LOVED IT!"

Flex Hectic: "I saw it 6 or seven times in the theater and I have worn out the Blu-ray DVD multiple times but anyway... My complaint is that I'm sure that there are other members of the Black Panther thread at CBR that are neglecting their pets with played out outdated leashes and they know who they are."

Humane Society: "The nerve of some people... I mean, their dog be at the park with some nameless faceless brand leash looking all poor and broke among the other dogs like kids with generic shoes at a middle class income school!"

Flex Hectic: I know right... It's unAmerican... I mean unWakandan!"

Humane Society: "So here is what we will do... I will sign in to CBR under an assumed name and you wearing a wire will get those animal hating product blocking HATERS and point them all out!"

Flex Hectic: "I don't want to be a snitch and all but somebody has to take a stand for animals that could be flossing out in the latest Wakanda Design Group vibranium pet wear!"

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos.../black-panther

I would have gotten the chew toy but I'm not sure if Bast approves of a canine gnawing on anything Black Panther... It's a cat thang you wouldn't understand!

Also it's a little too hot in Cali for that hoodie on a dog...
    Get Hectic!

So I am typing up a few "reading lists" for the reddit forum I control now.

For the "essential" reading one... I just wanted the main solo run stuff for the most part. So you typical f4 origin, panther rage, priest, hudlin, mayberry, liss, hickman, coates essentially. Just the big storylines with the bigger writers that give you basically everything you would need to know about Black Panther.

I don't know if Rise of the Black Panther counts or not.

I can't decide if it is "essential" and belongs in the bare bones package or if it is more in that second tier category with the team up books like Red Zone, New Fantastic Four, Ultimates, ect.

Here is the essential list: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...ing-order.html

Does Rise belong or not? Remember, this isn't really about "quality."

So I am typing up a few "reading lists" for the reddit forum I control now.

For the "essential" reading one... I just wanted the main solo run stuff for the most part. So you typical f4 origin, panther rage, priest, hudlin, mayberry, liss, hickman, coates essentially. Just the big storylines with the bigger writers that give you basically everything you would need to know about Black Panther.

I don't know if Rise of the Black Panther counts or not.

I can't decide if it is "essential" and belongs in the bare bones package or if it is more in that second tier category with the team up books like Red Zone, New Fantastic Four, Ultimates, ect.

Here is the essential list: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...ing-order.html

Does Rise belong or not? Remember, this isn't really about "quality."
    You could add it as a footnote labeled as "New Readers"

I would put NFF in the essential category since it's not stand alone and goes hand in hand with Hudlin.

I'd put Gillis' mini there too. It introduces the panther god in physical form for the first time if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    You could add it as a footnote labeled as "New Readers"

I would put NFF in the essential category since it's not stand alone and goes hand in hand with Hudlin.
    I was gonna do multiple lists... something like...

New Reader guide (done it just needs updated for Rise)
    Essential- barebones solo stuff
    Comprehensive- essential + team up books + gillis
    Fanatics only- comprehensive + stuff like the rest of McGregor. Kirby, guest appearances, AvX, Shuri runs, Flag miniect.
    TBP guide- for people who read non-digital.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 07-30-2019 at 08:45 AM.

I was gonna do multiple lists... something like...

New Reader guide (done it just needs updated for Rise)
    Essential- barebones solo stuff
    Comprehensive- essential + team up books + gillis
    Fanatics only- comprehensive + stuff like the rest of McGregor. Kirby, guest appearances, AvX, Shuri runs, Flag miniect.
    TBP guide- for people who read non-digital.
    I would say New Readers category.