Page 552 of 744 FirstFirst ... 52452502542548549550551552553554555556562602652 ... LastLast
Results 8,266 to 8,280 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    And I freaking hate it. I’d much rather T’Challa win battles on his own instead of having Storm bailing him out every time. It’s gets old pretty quickly. Oh well at least the real T’Challa is in Avengers and Agents of Wakanda.
    Storm bailed Tchalla out more in Hudlin than in Coated. That's where she went against his wishes to help him when he was in a jam. In Coates book, Storm is one of the chess pieces he used. He had a plan, and she was a resource at his disposal to achieve that plan. Characters like him do that from time to time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Agreed 100%.
    I’m glad I can add another viewpoint into the mix. I appreciate this version of T’Challa and I don’t mean to pass him off as the definitive version of the character, but I love him. His motivations make sense to me. And I actively cheer him on because of what he represents and the man he wants to be. He’s not perfect, but I love him anyway. I understand why Ororo does as well.
    I really enjoyed reading your excellently balanced post..
    Lol thank you, sir. I’ve enjoyed your posts for quite sometime now. I always try my best to be fair and balanced where their relationship is concerned. I love them as two parts of the greater whole. They shine together. They’re poetry about black excellence. I understand the negative fan reaction and pushback as Storm has been elevated to place in Wakanda’s mythos that would rival that of the great goddess Bast. The beautiful irony of it all is while Coates places Ororo on a pedestal as Hadari Yao, Goddess who preserves the balance of all natural things, T’Challa the man, the King, the warrior, he scientist balances HER. This is why I cannot agree with the many opinions here. It takes a strong man of quite composure to stand and let a woman of Storm’s caliber do her thing. That’s a man that’s got the swagger, the cool, the sexy, the emotional maturity and the sophistication of a sexually secure man. I could honestly go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    At minimum for those type of stories, put him in locations where his skills are not sufficient. If he is in Wakanda and its his solo title, all solutions should be Wakandan in origin. Storm was required a at least three times in the second arc, where showcasing Wakandan excellence would have been better.

An example is Bad Mutha when he had Monica fly all through New Orleans spreading solar energy to kill vampires. I don't expect Tchalla to be able to do that with just him, his ship, and two Dora.
    Storm was used for a very specific reason though. He wanted to get back together with her, but given they separated in AvX with her declared an enemy of the State, he needed to get Wakanda to support her. Having her save the day killed 2 birds with one stone. Wakanda is saved, and him dating Storm is likely no longer an issue.

There may have been other ways to save Wakanda, but using Storm served his personal agenda better.

With all due respect, this is the Black Panther Appreciation Thread and as such, Black Panther enthusiasts will comment on how they feel about what's occuring in their favourite characters solo book which has remained one in name only, for three years counting under Coates derisive penmanship.

Besides, there are more than a few posts and comments in this thread revolving around T'Challa's exploits and adventures as portrayed within the Avengers and Agents of Wakanda books respectively.
    My bro as you well know, an informed opinion is a well thought out opinion as opposed to "I never read the book, I just read some posts by some people and I thought it was true."

Remember that one?

Anyone who comes in this thread on a regular basis knows that anyone who writes BP is going to be praised or criticized, sometimes both.

We don't bury our head in the sand and hope for happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    If there's anything I dislike more than Coates' depiction of T'Challa and Wakanda, it's when users who are never to be seen here appear just to try and make us feel bad for voicing those grievances because you disagree (and quite frankly, because it favours you).
    Make us feel bad. Heh. Won't happen.

They try to paint BP fans with one brush. I guarantee you that there are Storm fans who post the exact same things when Storm isn't being written they way they want.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    For myself personally, I would not like for Storm to be overshadowed in her own solo. I would be one unhappy camper. However, that is not MY takeaway from this run on BP. I know many disagree. I know many Storm fans would totally be against the dynamic that MindofShadow has laid out. My interpretation of T'Challa's life and all the people that matter to him coupled with how he juggles their many personalities is something I would absolutely love in a Storm book. T'Challa could take up the same space and operate under the same exact narrative the Ororo does in his solo and I would be head over heels in love with it. They mean something more together. The idea of them. A Storm that's in love with a black man is not blind to the issues that face black people like her. The Storm of the X-Men is blind to issues that affect black mutants like her. Most of her fans champion that Storm because they love the exclusive feel of Storm and the exceptional nigger trope that galavants around the world but doesn't stop home to meet her father's family.
    but the real question is, is Ororo overshadowing Tchalla in his own book? specifically, this season? I dont think anyone can make that claim considering this is the first thing she has done in this book.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    My bro as you well know, an informed opinion is a well thought out opinion as opposed to "I never read the book, I just read some posts by some people and I thought it was true."

Remember that one?

Anyone who comes in this thread on a regular basis knows that anyone who writes BP is going to be praised or criticized, sometimes both.

We don't bury our head in the sand and hope for happy days.
    I personally love this thread because it has an energy like no other place here. There’s always that collective push for black male excellence and THAT I will champion until the death of me. I also like to challenge what those ideas are and how we all go about them in practice. You guys are one of kind. I’m not above poking the bear a bit tho. Lol I think most of black fans understand why many of your have a distaste for Coates. It should go without saying that some are even willing to engage open and honestly, but sometimes it may be a bit intimidating. For me, as a black man, I’m not afraid of engaging other black men. I love my fellow black men so I actively seek them out no matter where they fall along the spectrum. We’re all connected.

I personally love this thread because it has an energy like no other place here. There’s always that collective push for black male excellence and THAT I will champion until the death of me. I also like to challenge what those ideas are and how we all go about them in practice. You guys are one of kind. I’m not above poking the bear a bit tho. Lol I think most of black fans understand why many of your have a distaste for Coates. It should go without saying that some are even willing to engage open and honestly, but sometimes it may be a bit intimidating. For me, as a black man, I’m not afraid of engaging other black men. I love my fellow black men so I actively seek them out no matter where they fall along the spectrum. We’re all connected.
    Storm was barely in the first and third season of the book. Really the second is the only time that arguement holds any water.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Storm was barely in the first and third season of the book. Really the second is the only time that arguement holds any water.
    But she gets the most memorable visual moments and character development. Only person with more development is Shuri and they cant stabilize how they want her to be. Because if the memory plane gets destroyed, she goes back to solo Shuri. Only thing I got for Tchalla is the bridge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    but the real question is, is Ororo overshadowing Tchalla in his own book? specifically, this season? I dont think anyone can make that claim considering this is the first thing she has done in this book.

In a way she has. Storm has been the driving force behind his passion and desire to return home. Not to save country, or his people, or his family. His main thought pushing him forward to find who he is has been Ororo. Her ever present call for him to return to her has been woven into his character’s motivations. She was his anchor to his real life back home. You yourself saw exactly how most of her fans would’ve reacted if this kind of story were to play out in HER SOLO.

When the question of why Storm needs to be with a black man came up, you saw how many rose to ask why it matters for her to be the one. Not only is that NOT a simple question worth a SIMPLE answer, but it proves the greater hypocrisy that Mr. MajestiK spoke of. That scenario highlights it quite brilliantly actually. Things to note as well, Ororo would not have met her paternal grandparents if it weren’t for her relationship with this black man. She would not know about her true heritage and Hadari Yao bloodlines if it wasn’t for her relationship with this black man. And she most certainly would NEVER have DIRECTLY referenced her INTERSECTIONALITY as a black, female, mutant if it wasn’t for her relationship with this black man. These are facts.

And that's all we want in this thread, honest dialogue and opinion. That's what you've done and even when you bring an opposing opinion, you don't de-value someone else's post, you elevate your own reasoning for why you feel the way you do.

And the thing that we can all agree on is that we want the best BP that we can get. We just don't all agree on how we get there.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Just to add: the idea that the situations that arise in this book aren't tailor made for T'Challa or fit other supporting characters better and that's just something to be accepted or T'Challa's fault is bunk.

T'Challa is a fictional character. He is whatever situation Coates writes him into, and if Coates can only write situations that fit others better than they do T'Challa, then he is failing as a T'Challa and Black Panther writer.

And this is a character than regularly punched above his weight class. A guy that has bragged (and proven) that he is always prepared for anything, including the unknown.

If there's anything I dislike more than Coates' depiction of T'Challa and Wakanda, it's when users who are never to be seen here appear just to try and make us feel bad for voicing those grievances because you disagree (and quite frankly, because it favours you).
    Hit the nail on the head here, this whole "lol why you mad I'm enjoying this!" When it just so happens to feature Storm I. The issue doing cool isht, which is fine for Storm and her fans, more power to you, but when it costs major feats to T'Challa and Wakanda, it's an issue. But they never seen to see it that way, it's all "they're in love! He should be using her!" When in reality if the situation was reversed they would not be so enthusiastic about it.
    It gets old

BANNED

Anyone enjoying “The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda”?

Ultimate Member

The folks being pandered to don't want to understand why anyone would be unhappy.

Yes we are going to voice our grievances because you don't have to BUY a book in order to know what is going on.

Folks forget we have something called the PUBLIC LIBRARY.
    Folks forget something called DISCOUNT bins that allows one to buy a book at a WAY LOWER price.

I have a standard to when it comes to characters I like. I refuse to pay for cameos, background shots, one panel scenes, character assassinations or straight up TRASHING of a character I like. That does NOT make me an unfan of Panther, John Stewart, Fake Wally West, Falcon or anyone else.

I don't have to settle for CRAP. Settling for it gets you Heroes in Crisis, Ric Grayson, X-Men vs Inhumans, Civil War and the mess going on at DC-fractured fandoms.

Why would I buy this book because it makes Storm look good? How does that BENEFIT her? Because it does not. The book is called Black Panther. Every dime you spend on those book because they make (blank) look good BENEFITS whoever's name is on the cover. This is the point Tony Isabella was making about Batman & Outsiders with Black Lightning.

How does this book called BLACK PANTHER benefit Storm? It does not. It EXCUSES her franchise from raising the STANDARDS with her that Coates is doing here in those books. Marvel is not going to give Storm a book because of Panther. He has black females under his care who will get those shots. Heck they already have.

The battle for Storm fans is NOT here. The battle needs to be with that X-Office. Everyone else is stepping up black female representation-what is their excuse?

As for Coates I don't have to support his run. However I understand why he has it. He got folks READING Black Panther. He got folks BUYING Black Panther TRADES. He is doing what he is suppose to be doing. And while he is doing that Priest, Hudlin and the others who PAVED the way are benefiting.
    Now Priest is getting his due. He took a guy he didn't care for 21 years ago and now look. He's getting the respect he deserved and folks want him on Batman.