Page 553 of 744 FirstFirst ... 53453503543549550551552553554555556557563603653 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Just to add: the idea that the situations that arise in this book aren't tailor made for T'Challa or fit other supporting characters better and that's just something to be accepted or T'Challa's fault is bunk.

T'Challa is a fictional character. He is whatever situation Coates writes him into, and if Coates can only write situations that fit others better than they do T'Challa, then he is failing as a T'Challa and Black Panther writer.

And this is a character than regularly punched above his weight class. A guy that has bragged (and proven) that he is always prepared for anything, including the unknown.
    Right. It's up to the writer to make the story believable and to make it work. That's where Coates is failing.

BP can go from street to cosmic because it's all in his wheelhouse. And he shouldn't be a bystander in his own book.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Anyone enjoying “The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda”?
    Not me. A lot of us talked about a Wakandan space story before the Empire arc and this is not how we imagined it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The folks being pandered to don't want to understand why anyone would be unhappy.

Yes we are going to voice our grievances because you don't have to BUY a book in order to know what is going on.

Folks forget we have something called the PUBLIC LIBRARY.
    Folks forget something called DISCOUNT bins that allows one to buy a book at a WAY LOWER price.

I have a standard to when it comes to characters I like. I refuse to pay for cameos, background shots, one panel scenes, character assassinations or straight up TRASHING of a character I like. That does NOT make me an unfan of Panther, John Stewart, Fake Wally West, Falcon or anyone else.

I don't have to settle for CRAP. Settling for it gets you Heroes in Crisis, Ric Grayson, X-Men vs Inhumans, Civil War and the mess going on at DC-fractured fandoms.

Why would I buy this book because it makes Storm look good? How does that BENEFIT her? Because it does not. The book is called Black Panther. Every dime you spend on those book because they make (blank) look good BENEFITS whoever's name is on the cover. This is the point Tony Isabella was making about Batman & Outsiders with Black Lightning.

How does this book called BLACK PANTHER benefit Storm? It does not. It EXCUSES her franchise from raising the STANDARDS with her that Coates is doing here in those books. Marvel is not going to give Storm a book because of Panther. He has black females under his care who will get those shots. Heck they already have.

The battle for Storm fans is NOT here. The battle needs to be with that X-Office. Everyone else is stepping up black female representation-what is their excuse?

As for Coates I don't have to support his run. However I understand why he has it. He got folks READING Black Panther. He got folks BUYING Black Panther TRADES. He is doing what he is suppose to be doing. And while he is doing that Priest, Hudlin and the others who PAVED the way are benefiting.
    Now Priest is getting his due. He took a guy he didn't care for 21 years ago and now look. He's getting the respect he deserved and folks want him on Batman.
    You're right on that part. Nothing major happening with Storm in what, 5-6 X-Men titles so Storm fans get their fix in BP.

They should be pissed that she isn't being right in her own franchise. All these X-books and she's only in one and not even leading.

I guess I see why they love Coates right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Not me. A lot of us talked about a Wakandan space story before the Empire arc and this is not how we imagined it would be.
    Strangely enough I just got around to reading it. I imagine it's set in some far future, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The folks being pandered to don't want to understand why anyone would be unhappy.

Yes we are going to voice our grievances because you don't have to BUY a book in order to know what is going on.

Folks forget we have something called the PUBLIC LIBRARY.
    Folks forget something called DISCOUNT bins that allows one to buy a book at a WAY LOWER price.

I have a standard to when it comes to characters I like. I refuse to pay for cameos, background shots, one panel scenes, character assassinations or straight up TRASHING of a character I like. That does NOT make me an unfan of Panther, John Stewart, Fake Wally West, Falcon or anyone else.

I don't have to settle for CRAP. Settling for it gets you Heroes in Crisis, Ric Grayson, X-Men vs Inhumans, Civil War and the mess going on at DC-fractured fandoms.

Why would I buy this book because it makes Storm look good? How does that BENEFIT her? Because it does not. The book is called Black Panther. Every dime you spend on those book because they make (blank) look good BENEFITS whoever's name is on the cover. This is the point Tony Isabella was making about Batman & Outsiders with Black Lightning.

How does this book called BLACK PANTHER benefit Storm? It does not. It EXCUSES her franchise from raising the STANDARDS with her that Coates is doing here in those books. Marvel is not going to give Storm a book because of Panther. He has black females under his care who will get those shots. Heck they already have.

The battle for Storm fans is NOT here. The battle needs to be with that X-Office. Everyone else is stepping up black female representation-what is their excuse?

As for Coates I don't have to support his run. However I understand why he has it. He got folks READING Black Panther. He got folks BUYING Black Panther TRADES. He is doing what he is suppose to be doing. And while he is doing that Priest, Hudlin and the others who PAVED the way are benefiting.
    Now Priest is getting his due. He took a guy he didn't care for 21 years ago and now look. He's getting the respect he deserved and folks want him on Batman.
    Hello... HELLLOOOOOOO!!! Love for black women is poured all over this series. Where is that love in the X-books? Hopefully we get a better understanding of the place she holds given Hickman's new landscape. You are sannngggin to the choir. The saddest part is that as long as only half of her is acknowledged in her home universe, then she'll always be tokenized.
    You're right on that part. Nothing major happening with Storm in what, 5-6 X-Men titles so Storm fans get their fix in BP.

They should be pissed that she isn't being right in her own franchise. All these X-books and she's only in one and not even leading.

I guess I see why they love Coates right now.
    Most won't care. They rest assured that the X-books don't and won't have to acknowledge her life outside of the team. It's weird, but not really when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Hello... HELLLOOOOOOO!!! Love for black women is poured all over this series. Where is that love in the X-books? Hopefully we get a better understanding of the place she holds given Hickman's new landscape. You are sannngggin to the choir. The saddest part is that as long as only half of her is acknowledged in her home universe, then she'll always be tokenized.

Most won't care. They rest assured that the X-books don't and won't have to acknowledge her life outside of the team. It's weird, but not really when you think about it.

That's why BP fans are fierce when it comes to how he's written.

No one's asked for a mary sue character who can't be beat. We've always said that we want the threat level to match or exceed BP and present him a serious challenge.

And get this dude a girlfriend. Just make sure that everyone acknowledges they're together and not pull some isht like the X-writers love to do.

BANNED

And that's all we want in this thread, honest dialogue and opinion. That's what you've done and even when you bring an opposing opinion, you don't de-value someone else's post, you elevate your own reasoning for why you feel the way you do.

And the thing that we can all agree on is that we want the best BP that we can get. We just don't all agree on how we get there.
    That's all I can try to do. And I try my best not to make it feel my being in disagreement with someone doesn't come off my word is law. I just mean to offer up my opinion as plainly as I can deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mena, Hickman did bring Eden out of limbo into his run.

So he knows he exists.
    It was Hickman that originally created Eden Fesi in his Secret Warriors run about 10 years ago.

Its honestly a feat in itself that Coates took such a long discussed topic and interest in such a story made by BP fans and made it absolutely boring.. and worse that he injected x office and Spiderman aspects into the Black Panther mythos which is ripe for bringing in ways to power rogues.. it's so unoriginal and mixed with the fact that we have two mutants Storm and Eden in the book taking panel space away from in franchise characters included the title character himself, makes it worse

AoW 2099 variant cover

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Its honestly a feat in itself that Coates took such a long discussed topic and interest in such a story made by BP fans and made it absolutely boring.. and worse that he injected x office and Spiderman aspects into the Black Panther mythos which is ripe for bringing in ways to power rogues.. it's so unoriginal and mixed with the fact that we have two mutants Storm and Eden in the book taking panel space away from in franchise characters included the title character himself, makes it worse
    Hudlin did the same thing though. Obviously he brought Storm into the mythos in the first place, and he seemingly tried retconning the Spider-Man rogue Morlun into the lion god. Cross pollonating franchises to try and attract readers from different franchises is a pretty common practice.

In all fairness I'm not sure team books are really that obligated to acknowledging a characters personal life to any signficant degree. How often are Lois Lane or Steve Trevor shown in Justice League? Over the decades the number of times Sharon Carter or Pepper Potts have appeared in the Avengers can probably be counted on one hand.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if T'Challa wasn't going to show up in Hickmans book at SOME point. Given the political situation stirring, there's reason for his relationship with Storm to be addressed at some point.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingnomarch View Post
    aow 2099 variant cover

T'Challa doing his best Shang Tsung impersonation
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 09-26-2019 at 11:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    If there's anything I dislike more than Coates' depiction of T'Challa and Wakanda, it's when users who are never to be seen here appear just to try and make us feel bad for voicing those grievances because you disagree (and quite frankly, because it favours you).
    This phenomenon has been going on for quite some time now.

At this point, I just smile to myself and chuckle especially as some of these individuals only deign to mention T'Challa in the Ororo Appreciation thread in less than complimentary terms even going as far as to say that they skip over pages of the BP solo book just to focus on Storm's portrayals in said book.

BANNED

In a way she has. Storm has been the driving force behind his passion and desire to return home. Not to save country, or his people, or his family. His main thought pushing him forward to find who he is has been Ororo. Her ever present call for him to return to her has been woven into his character’s motivations. She was his anchor to his real life back home. You yourself saw exactly how most of her fans would’ve reacted if this kind of story were to play out in HER SOLO.

When the question of why Storm needs to be with a black man came up, you saw how many rose to ask why it matters for her to be the one. Not only is that NOT a simple question worth a SIMPLE answer, but it proves the greater hypocrisy that Mr. MajestiK spoke of. That scenario highlights it quite brilliantly actually. Things to note as well, Ororo would not have met her paternal grandparents if it weren’t for her relationship with this black man. She would not know about her true heritage and Hadari Yao bloodlines if it wasn’t for her relationship with this black man. And she most certainly would NEVER have DIRECTLY referenced her INTERSECTIONALITY as a black, female, mutant if it wasn’t for her relationship with this black man. These are facts.
    Why are you posting so much truth?