Page 729 of 744 FirstFirst ... 229629679719725726727728729730731732733739 ... LastLast
Results 10,921 to 10,935 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by WAKANDA FOREVER! View Post
    So Asgard is ok. Thanks Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm only disappointed he didn't end his rant with "now get off my lawn."

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    That would make him sound like an isolationist.

He'd be a great Wakandan. If only he believed.

And he's getting eaten alive on Twitter. Good.

Let's be fair here. There's nothing wrong with him not liking Marvel movies. Many don't.

The problem is when he starts making absolute statements and comes off like an arbiter of quality.

Gatekeeping is one sure way to piss me off.

For the sake of realism Wakanda should be more like certain places in California...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#5178bc205ea5

Wakanda.

All of the most important elders had gathered to discuss a troubling and growing issue in Wakanda.

King T'challa: "I called this emergency meeting to..."

The king was distracted as Lord M'baku began to strain at the face and shift his hips uncomfortably.

King T'challa: "Oh no... Not you too!"

Lord M'baku: "I'm sorry my king... But I have to go badly!"

As Lord M'baku relieved himself soiling his white gorilla fur with the opposite color the elders begun to stand up and back away disgusted.

King T'challa: "SHURI!!!"

Princess Shuri: "I'm sorry brother I have not found the cure yet but I am titling this sickness as The Poop Flu."

Just then random elders begun to follow the actions of Lord M'baku making there throne room all but uninhabitable.

Princess Shuri: "I will manufacture more vibranium laced toilet paper to tackle this national disaster."

King T'challa: "First rape camps and now this... I mean who writes this stuff!"

Princess Shuri: "So much for a black utopia!"

Terry Gilliam: "FREAKIN-A, my boots are ruined utter BOOLSHET... Somebody should make a poop map!"

Let's see if someone writes this type of problem in Asgard or Latveria!

Carry on... But mind where you step though!
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So black kids are to believe in nothing?
    Maybe they should believe in the black characters in his own movies!

Oh, right...

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    nope. that's not how it works. it's not just a grab bag where you get to do anything you want and say, "Oh, well, it's fictional, so anything goes." While realism is kind of silly to apply to these things, plausibility isn't. THat's the bread and butter of super-hero fiction and that means the logic of the story must be internally consistent.

There is no way a culture that spent ten thousand years SUCCESSFULLY hiding from the world, murdering trespassers and developing itself into an inward-looking utopia would have the necessary outside connections to be part of a trafficking network or the necessary customer base for cocaine dealers to find a way in. How, in fact, would the drug traffickers get to Wakanda's border much less inside? no way. Wakanda doesn't engage in commerce with the outside world. how could it? why would it? it's the opposite of what the nation is set up to be.

are there heroin overdoses in Asgard? Nope. No one would believe it and they'd be right not to. It flies in the face of the established rules. yes, there are some.

and, yes, writers do break them but they should only break them in ways that- wait for it- still follow the rules of plausibility.
    Lots of things I don't find plausible in comic books, from Superman moving planets to the Green Goblin becoming top cop in the US after Secret Invasion. ANd I can like it or dislike it, but the point being once it shows up in print it's canon regardless of what I happen to think. As long as the editors at marvel feel something is plausible, it becomes canon... I sadly don't get a vote. I've long ago made peace with the fact that things in fiction happen which I at times won't find plausible. That won't necessarily stop me from complaining about it on the internet if it bothers me enough... but I still accept it as canon until it's retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Lots of things I don't find plausible in comic books, from Superman moving planets to the Green Goblin becoming top cop in the US after Secret Invasion. ANd I can like it or dislike it, but the point being once it shows up in print it's canon regardless of what I happen to think. As long as the editors at marvel feel something is plausible, it becomes canon... I sadly don't get a vote. I've long ago made peace with the fact that things in fiction happen which I at times won't find plausible. That won't necessarily stop me from complaining about it on the internet if it bothers me enough... but I still accept it as canon until it's retconned.
    all true.

and all very good reasons why Marvel won't ever let me take the book.

because i would come with a sword.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So black kids are to believe in nothing?

Has HE been to Africa? What part of this is a fictional city does he NOT get? So he expects Wakanda to be like Rwanda? Not all of Africa is a third world county.
    I would love for him to show up where folks dress like Harry Potter.

So the ONE time someone spends a LOT of money on a black film-it's taking money from others?

How many straight white male movies lost money that could have gone to other films?

And he's getting eaten alive on Twitter. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Let's be fair here. There's nothing wrong with him not liking Marvel movies. Many don't.

The problem is when he starts making absolute statements and comes off like an arbiter of quality.

Gatekeeping is one sure way to piss me off.
    Maybe they should believe in the black characters in his own movies!

Oh, right...
    So in a nutshell, in much the same way he thinks he can write off something that made black kids (and even black adults) stand up with their backs a little straighter, we can write him off as another out-of-touch, angry, bitter jerk. Not so different from a lot of so-called comics fans, except he has influence and reach that those same so-called fans don't.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    So in a nutshell, in much the same way he thinks he can write off something that made black kids (and even black adults) stand up with their backs a little straighter, we can write him off as another out-of-touch, angry, bitter jerk. Not so different from a lot of so-called comics fans, except he has influence and reach that those same so-called fans don't.
    I'd say he's more like "literary fiction" fans, who believe that they KNOW what quality is, and the "hoi polloi" must listen.

You know, the same ones that fawned over Messr. Coates for his polemic about the poor treatment of black life while he was living in Paris and visiting a personal trainer.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'd say he's more like "literary fiction" fans, who believe that they KNOW what quality is, and the "hoi polloi" must listen.

You know, the same ones that fawned over Messr. Coates for his polemic about the poor treatment of black life while he was living in Paris and visiting a personal trainer.
    That's a very good point, and actually makes it even worse, come to think of it. He's not just another angry, bitter, out-of-touch jerk . . . he's an angry, bitter, out-of-touch elitist jerk, and frankly, if there's anything that pisses me off in this world, it's an elitist high on his (or her) sense of superiority to everyone else.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Terry Gilliam: "Some of my best friends are black... My personal chef, gardener and chauffeur are all black I love me some negro people!"

Get Hectic!

Ultimate Member

To him I say, 'Ok, Boomer'.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Because Wakanda is fictional, it's as Utopian as the writers decide to make it. If the writers tell me that crime doesn't exist there then it doesn't... but the reverse is also true.

I believe human trafficking can exist in Wakanda for the same reason I believe an Egyptian God empowers a guy in a cat suit to be her champion ... because the books tell me so.

If the next guy retcons it, fine ... point being marvel gets to decide this stuff. I can like or dislike it, but its obviously still marvels call.
    You say Wakanda is fictional in one sentence then will try and defend stuff by saying "in the real world this happens". You can't have both. Either its fictional and you treat it as such or it's based in realism. You can't pick and choose when convenient to your argument, especially when the history and franchise has established it to be a certain way. You need Logic and rules even in fiction to establish cohension and continuity and for it to make sense