Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DCeased #1 Discussion

I did not see a preview for this so I honestly forgot it was out today until I saw reviews for it. It's probably not going to get as much attention because of the Year of Villain title but wanted to talk about it none the less.

Personally I liked it, while yes it is another zombie story it is very much a DC comics centered zombie apocalypse with how it all began but also really interesting with its potential as an elseworld mini-series, meaning Taylor can do whatever he wants in this, which he does. It also creepy and a little dreadful to see just how it spreads and will no doubt spread far and fast as the series begins. spoilers:
    I mean the fact that its the anti-life equation, kind of funny now that its in a zombie story, spread via Cyborg over the entire internet because of Darkseid scheme that backfires is really an interesting way to go with it. The scene with Apokolips being destroyed by a zombie Darkseid is also pretty cool, at least artistically.
    end of spoilers Honestly given how it spreads I'm not sure exactly besides a few lucky(or rather unlucky) characters who make it out of the first issue will star in this series.

I know some people will no doubt be turned off because its a zombie story, but it is a very DC zombie story written by Taylor who made Injustice one of my favorite series for the past few years. Of course it is a little violent and as a zombie comic has some gore so warning if you are not into that.

spoilers:
    Also for those who want a story where Batman isn't "Batgod" and saving everyone...well he sure as hell is not walking away from the end of the first issue.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I did not see a preview for this so I honestly forgot it was out today until I saw reviews for it. It's probably not going to get as much attention because of the Year of Villain title but wanted to talk about it none the less.

Personally I liked it, while yes it is another zombie story it is very much a DC comics centered zombie apocalypse with how it all began but also really interesting with its potential as an elseworld mini-series, meaning Taylor can do whatever he wants in this, which he does. It also creepy and a little dreadful to see just how it spreads and will no doubt spread far and fast as the series begins. spoilers:
    I mean the fact that its the anti-life equation, kind of funny now that its in a zombie story, spread via Cyborg over the entire internet because of Darkseid scheme that backfires is really an interesting way to go with it. The scene with Apokolips being destroyed by a zombie Darkseid is also pretty cool, at least artistically.
    end of spoilers Honestly given how it spreads I'm not sure exactly besides a few lucky(or rather unlucky) characters who make it out of the first issue will star in this series.

I know some people will no doubt be turned off because its a zombie story, but it is a very DC zombie story written by Taylor who made Injustice one of my favorite series for the past few years. Of course it is a little violent and as a zombie comic has some gore so warning if you are not into that.

spoilers:
    Also for those who want a story where Batman isn't "Batgod" and saving everyone...well he sure as hell is not walking away from the end of the first issue.
    end of spoilers
    I haven’t read this yet either, but what I can tell and from future solicitations this virus even reaches Themyscira and Atlantis. So it makes me wonder if Diana and Arthur are even immune. Also, how does the magic community deal with a threat like techno virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I haven’t read this yet either, but what I can tell and from future solicitations this virus even reaches Themyscira and Atlantis. So it makes me wonder if Diana and Arthur are even immune. Also, how does the magic community deal with a threat like techno virus.
    Arthur is not in Atlantis anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    This is an elseworld's story, so he might be there right now. I mean this issue had Black Lightning and Green Arrow in the Justice League.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    This is an elseworld's story, so he might be there right now. I mean this issue had Black Lightning and Green Arrow in the Justice League.
    many have questioned this, but seems he will be in the limbo until in the series he makes a return, why? can't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    This story isn’t in continuity.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Pretty good first issue. You have to turn the logic center of your brain off (just like Marvel Zombies ironically), but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Though, having read some of the solicits for the upcoming issues... spoilers:
    They mention that Batman had a contingency plan for an event such as this, but if he's already "infected" how does that work exactly?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Pretty good first issue. You have to turn the logic center of your brain off (just like Marvel Zombies ironically), but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Though, having read some of the solicits for the upcoming issues... spoilers:
    They mention that Batman had a contingency plan for an event such as this, but if he's already "infected" how does that work exactly?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean supposedly Damian is still alive, nothing stopping him from getting the plan....besides the undead husks of his brothers and father
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

That was fairly entertaining. I think I enjoyed everything I read from Taylor so far.

I liked it a good amount, tbh I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did lol

Always Rakzo

This is pretty much "DC Zombies" as most people expected and in that regard, I think it does a good job. I believe Taylor was a good choice because of his implementation of big moments and shock value and he also provides solid characterization (Lord knows that Cyborg has shown more personality here than in any recent appearance).

Art was a bit messy but it gets the job done. Decent beginning overall.

spoilers:
    I was rereading the issue when I realized something. The issue indicates that even though Cyborg spread the virus and was at the center of that outbreak, that he is still alive and I assume didn’t turn.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

That corrupted equation must give the "zombies" extra strength to be able to bit into his suit...god only knows what it will do to metas with powers.
    I also nearly pissed myself when i saw Jon reaching for the phone, still we are just beginning so who knows what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    That corrupted equation must give the "zombies" extra strength to be able to bit into his suit...god only knows what it will do to metas with powers.
    I also nearly pissed myself when i saw Jon reaching for the phone, still we are just beginning so who knows what is going to happen.
    Just read it! WOW! Batman, Tim Drake and Grayson, all changed just like that! Poor Alfred!

If Taylor’s track record is to be believed next is Green Arrow.

But yeah I’m not liking Alfreds odds for next issue, and if the others are down where does that leave Barbara, Kate, and Jason. If anyone in Batfamily is best suited for the zombie apocalypse, it’s Jason Todd.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-01-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Words to live by.