View Poll Results: What is your favorite costumed identity for Hank Pym?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ant-Man

4 8.16%
  • Giant-Man

6 12.24%
  • Goliath

5 10.20%
  • Yellowjacket

14 28.57%
  • Dr. Pym, scientific adventurer

18 36.73%
  • The Wasp II

2 4.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

His time as Wasp was enjoyable, but probably took his character back more than it developed him.
    Agreed. It was Hank doing penance.
    His costumed identities have all had some sort of baggage.
    Ant Man was him doing what he felt he should w. his powers/what everyone else was doing. His Giant persona(s) were a result of him feeling inadequate as Ant Man compared to the other Avengers. Yellow Jacket, as cool as that costume was, is tainted w. all SORTS of low points and mental instability.

This is a tough one but I'd say Yellow Jacket:
    81ed553bd28a0c625e60d45204ee914b.jpg

iMan 42s

Yellow Jacket is my favorite costume so that was my choice, but there's something about his Goliath outfit I like that I just can't put my finger on.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I always like Giant-Man as Hank's man ID. But I also think that this Giant-Man costume should be his main one for the identity.

It's the best one by far in my opinion.
    I think there is some confusion in the poll, because the "Giant-Man" costume from Avengers Forever is actually his first Goliath outfit (the second one switching the colour-scheme to red and blue). Anyway, I like it, and prefer the "Goliath" code-name that normally goes with it.

Yellowjacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think there is some confusion in the poll, because the "Giant-Man" costume from Avengers Forever is actually his first Goliath outfit (the second one switching the colour-scheme to red and blue). Anyway, I like it, and prefer the "Goliath" code-name that normally goes with it.
    I could be remembering this incorrectly...but I thought the Avengers Forever costume took elements from his Goliath, Ant-Man, and Giant-Man costume and put them together? I know for sure in that comic he went by the Giant-Man Code Name.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    On a side note, I got to thinking... are there other superheroes who had several codenames through the years? Feel free to fill me in on this as well
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Stick View Post
    Carol Danvers and Monica Rambeau have had a few. They've both been Captain Marvel, but Carol has also been Ms Marvel, Binary and Warbird, while Monica also used the names Photon, Pulsar and currently Spectrum.

Hawkeye had stints as Goliath and Ronin.
    Rachel Grey/Summers has been Phoenix, Marvel Girl and Prestige. Her mother Jean Grey was also Marvel Girl, Phoenix and Marvel Woman.

Noh-Varr has been Marvel Boy, Protector and Captain Marvel (although his use of the CM title was very brief).

Every Captain America has had at least one other identify (Falcon, Winter Solider/Bucky, Patriot, etc). Steve Rogers was also Nomad and just The Captain. John Walker was also USAgent and Super Patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    On a side note, I got to thinking... are there other superheroes who had several codenames through the years? Feel free to fill me in on this as well
    Quite a few have three or more. Other than the already mentioned Carol, Monica, and Clint, there's...

Amadeus Cho: Mastermind Excello, Prince of Power, Totally Awesome Hulk, Brawn
    Rachel Grey/Summers: Phoenix, Marvel Girl, Prestige
    Jim Rhodes: Iron Man, War Machine, Iron Patriot
    Alex Power: Gee, Zero-G, Powerpax, Powerhouse
    Julia Carpenter: Spider-Woman, Arachne, Madame Web
    Noh-Varr: Marvel Boy, Protector, Captain Marvel
    James Buchanan Barnes: Bucky, Winter Soldier, Captain America
    Steve Rogers: Captain America, Nomad, The Captain
    John Walker: Super-Patriot, Captain America, U.S.Agent

Of course quite a few others have had two:

Franklin Richards: Tattletale, Powerhouse
    Jean Grey: Marvel Girl, Phoenix
    Cassie Lang: Stature, Stinger
    Susan Storm-Richards: Invisible Girl, Invisible Woman
    Betsy Braddock: Psylocke, Captain Britain
    Sam Wilson: Falcon, Captain America
    Jane Foster: Thor, Valkyrie
    Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, Ghost-Spider
    Toni Ho: Rescue, Iron Patriot
    Pepper Potts: Rescue, Iron Woman

Oh, looks like I was ninja'd on a few of these.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Rachel Grey/Summers has been Phoenix, Marvel Girl and Prestige. Her mother Jean Grey was also Marvel Girl, Phoenix and Marvel Woman.

Noh-Varr has been Marvel Boy, Protector and Captain Marvel (although his use of the CM title was very brief).

Every Captain America has had at least one other identify (Falcon, Winter Solider/Bucky, Patriot, etc). Steve Rogers was also Nomad and just The Captain. John Walker was also USAgent and Super Patriot.
    And I mustn't forget the Vell family, who've never met a name they wouldn't borrow.

Genis has been Legacy, Captain Marvel, and Photon.

Phyla has been Captain Marvel, Quasar and Martyr. Currently she doesn't seem to be bothering with a codename.

Scott Lang is a better Ant-Man.
    Hawkeye is a better Goliath.
    The Yellowjacket costume is ugly.
    I didn't like Hank for the first 250 issues. He only found himself as Doctor Pym on the West Coast Avengers.

I like him as Ultron

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I could be remembering this incorrectly...but I thought the Avengers Forever costume took elements from his Goliath, Ant-Man, and Giant-Man costume and put them together? I know for sure in that comic he went by the Giant-Man Code Name.
    No, that's pretty much just his Goliath costume (though the belt gets simplified pretty quickly). He does go by "Giant-Man", and that's how he started the miniseries in the present, but in a more typical "Giant-Man" costume; when Rick brings all the heroes through time to Limbo (or wherever) Giant-Man seems pretty much from the same time (the present), but his costume is that of Goliath. I assume the writer wanted to use the present-day Hank Pym, but the artist wanted to draw Goliath, so we get the present-day Giant-Man in the Goliath outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Scott Lang is a better Ant-Man.
    Hawkeye is a better Goliath.
    The Yellowjacket costume is ugly.
    I didn't like Hank for the first 250 issues. He only found himself as Doctor Pym on the West Coast Avengers.
    Yellow jacket costume only ugly if/when not drawn correctly and the colors are off (grey used instead of black).

Astonishing Member

I went with Dr. Pym, scientific adventurer. Its always been my favourite role for him.

Besides, most of his costumed identities have been more successful with other people--especially Scott Lang as Ant-Man (and of course Janet as Wasp, but she was the one who originated that identity, not Hank).

Giant-Man and Goliath both fall into that category as well - plus it is hard for Hank to stand out in the crowd of so many giants (there have been at least two other Giant-Men and four other Goliaths, not to mention growers who don't have a hand-me-down Pym identity like Leviathan, Dr. Nemesis, Stature, Tower, etc).

Besides, the Giant-Man/Goliath identities never truly suited Hank anyway. He's a scientist -- a power set of "grow really big and punch things" doesn't seem the right fit for a man of science. He adopted those identities out of insecurity, trying to keep up with the likes of Thor and Iron Man.

Yellowjacket is my second choice for favourite Hank identity. Unfortunately his successes with that identity are also tainted from it being his identity for his worst moments as well. He did make a shot at redeeming the identity for himself in Busiek's run, but I'm not sure it was enough to wipe the stain away for a lot of readers. The fact that Rita Demara is still beloved as Yellowjacket by so many, even so long after her death, and that there is now a new villainous Yellowjacket also help to undermine that as a good identity for Hank.

Dr. Toni Ho is currently doing the scientific adventurer thing as well--but the nice thing about it is that since there is no codename or costume associated with it, both of them could do that role without it conflicting with the other at all. Hank has his schtick of shrinking an arsenal of devices and weapons with his pym particles, and that remains unique to him (well, apart from when the Scourge in T-BOLTS borrowed it for a while) so Toni can be a scientific adventurer her own way, while Hank goes back to the role and identity that served him well during the period he was most successful and mentally/emotionally stable as an Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quite a few have three or more. Other than the already mentioned Carol, Monica, and Clint, there's...

Amadeus Cho: Mastermind Excello, Prince of Power, Totally Awesome Hulk, Brawn
    Rachel Grey/Summers: Phoenix, Marvel Girl, Prestige
    Jim Rhodes: Iron Man, War Machine, Iron Patriot
    Alex Power: Gee, Zero-G, Powerpax, Powerhouse
    Julia Carpenter: Spider-Woman, Arachne, Madame Web
    Noh-Varr: Marvel Boy, Protector, Captain Marvel
    James Buchanan Barnes: Bucky, Winter Soldier, Captain America
    Steve Rogers: Captain America, Nomad, The Captain
    John Walker: Super-Patriot, Captain America, U.S.Agent

Of course quite a few others have had two:

Franklin Richards: Tattletale, Powerhouse
    Jean Grey: Marvel Girl, Phoenix
    Cassie Lang: Stature, Stinger
    Susan Storm-Richards: Invisible Girl, Invisible Woman
    Betsy Braddock: Psylocke, Captain Britain
    Sam Wilson: Falcon, Captain America
    Jane Foster: Thor, Valkyrie
    Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, Ghost-Spider
    Toni Ho: Rescue, Iron Patriot
    Pepper Potts: Rescue, Iron Woman

Oh, looks like I was ninja'd on a few of these.
    Steve was also Commander Rogers.