Page 20 of 79 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    So I guess my question is, why don't they?
    It depends on WHO you are targeting.

This line really smells like you are targeting comic book readers/adults more than kids or causal fans.

Like the Justice League cartoon ones (at least where I live) were the main ones leaving the shelves especially John Stewart and cartoon Cyborg. The others including the movies ones-I don't see anyone touching them at Target and Wal-Mart.

Especially around Christmas when they were the only ones left on the shelf with WWE figures.

SOMEONE is buying theses guys for them to keep making them.

Right now he is doing what WWE and others have done-toss out as many versions of whoever is popular. Eventually you are going to hit a brick wall. Folks will tire of it.

Then you will have everyone bypassing Batman for the ONE time Duke Thomas (unmasked) or Star Girl or help us ALL STATIC gets made.

Same issue WWE is having with more folks interest in the figures of who you just fired versus the 200th version of John Cena or Roman or HHH.
    Or Star Wars-what Luke figure has NOT been made yet?

Now these could be fun. I wonder how big they are and if they come with any accessories?
    I suspect they are probably old school GI Joe sized like the ones Marvel did (or still do).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

The suggestion that the company can just make whatever they want still comes down to if retailers are interested in jumping on it.
    Pretty much and if the retailer does NOT want it.

They will either not stock it or ship it somewhere to another store location or rush to clearance.

And yes I have seen Target do this to DC Comics before.

They did it to movie Green Lantern, Batman Brave & Bold, Justice League, Young Justice & Wonder Woman.

They even did it to Cap Marvel, Star Trek, Marvel Legends, Marvel Rising, Barbie, Fantastic Four, Black Widow & Power Ranger lines.

This is is a video from the former brand manager of DC Universe Classics under Mattel, and he breaks down the character selection thing in relation to Marvel. Essentially: the line died because it started to focus less on guaranteed A-listers and more on deeper cuts aimed at comic collectors. This in turn led to a sales downturn that ultimately caused retailers to lose interest and the line being cancelled. As he says near the end, the fanbase just wasn't large enough to support it, sadly. So what retailers wanted from the follow-up was more guaranteed sellers, I.E., more Batman and Superman.

By contrast Hasbro's Marvel Legends stuff (which is probably the closest point of comparison) has a much more robust and diverse selection of characters, which comes down to Marvel simply being a much bigger brand than DC, meaning retailers are interested in it as an encompassing umbrella. DC doesn't have that sort of name power right now, despite individual characters like Batman having it on their own.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-03-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder if icon and rocket will come out from McFarlane toys.
    By the way is there a marvel legends toy thread in the marvel forum?

Extraordinary Member

I guess I'm just confused because for the most part I see those Metal figures just clogging up pegs for months. I honestly don't mean to sound like a jerk when I ask this, but other than even bigger toy nerds and completists like me, do regular people really buy these?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I guess I'm just confused because for the most part I see those Metal figures just clogging up pegs for months. I honestly don't mean to sound like a jerk when I ask this, but other than even bigger toy nerds and completists like me, do regular people really buy these?
    If it's from a movie or something someone recognizes, it usually does. My local Wal-Mart is out of The Batman figures. But, yeah, these obscure storyline characters the average parent has never heard of just sit on the shelf.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

This is is a video from the former brand manager of DC Universe Classics under Mattel, and he breaks down the character selection thing in relation to Marvel. Essentially: the line died because it started to focus less on guaranteed A-listers and more on deeper cuts aimed at comic collectors. This in turn led to a sales downturn that ultimately caused retailers to lose interest and the line being cancelled. As he says near the end, the fanbase just wasn't large enough to support it, sadly. So what retailers wanted from the follow-up was more guaranteed sellers, I.E., more Batman and Superman.
    While I can't argue with those claims, because I don't have the sales data, I do know that the Legion of Super-heroes set (available online only) sold out in record time. They couldn't make a go of moving to online because they wouldn't announce more than a couple of figures who'd be released if you purchased a subscription. From my perspective DCUC moved much faster than the McFarlane DC figures.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If it's from a movie or something someone recognizes, it usually does. My local Wal-Mart is out of The Batman figures. But, yeah, these obscure storyline characters the average parent has never heard of just sit on the shelf.
    Yeah. I mean, since I bought my Pattinson figure I haven't seen another one since, but hair metal Superman is pretty plentiful everywhere. I can't help but wonder why they even bother.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I've seen lots of King Shazam figures on pegs as well as Hazmat Suit Batman. One of the bizarre ideas imo is the horse build-a-figure for the Dark Knight line. Who thought it was a good idea to have a horse as a build-a-figure?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I've seen lots of King Shazam figures on pegs as well as Hazmat Suit Batman. One of the bizarre ideas imo is the horse build-a-figure for the Dark Knight line. Who thought it was a good idea to have a horse as a build-a-figure?
    I understand the inclination to doing a DKR line, but that is clearly for the comic book collector/toy nerd (which, admittedly, most of us here are). But other than thinking it looks kind of cool and maybe picking them up for that reason, I don't see a regular rando just bringing this up to the register.

I've seen a lot of hazmat Batman's, too.

I mean, is a Supergirl too out of left field? Or a Brainiac?

The issue is that you’re still thinking of it from the perspective of whether or not people will buy this rather than retailers. Stores like Target and Walmart aren’t thinking “Isn’t DKR too specific?” They’re thinking “Oh, new toys of Batman, Joker and Superman? Cool, those have good sales records.” and that’s what appeals to them. Whether or not it’s a specific storyline is less important than the name recognition of who is headlining.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-04-2022 at 03:43 PM.

I understand the inclination to doing a DKR line, but that is clearly for the comic book collector/toy nerd (which, admittedly, most of us here are). But other than thinking it looks kind of cool and maybe picking them up for that reason, I don't see a regular rando just bringing this up to the register.

I've seen a lot of hazmat Batman's, too.

I mean, is a Supergirl too out of left field? Or a Brainiac?
    Yeah, I can see a Dark Knight line but a better idea for a build-a-figure would have been the mutant leader Batman fought.

The issue is that you’re still thinking of it from the perspective of whether or not people will buy this rather than retailers. Stores like Target and Walmart hear “Batman? Yeah he has a good sales record.” and that’s what appeals to them. The specifics of whether or not it’s a specific storyline is less important than the name recognition of who is headlining.
    I get it, Batman sells and they are going to ride that horse(sorry). But they really need to limit these variant, Multiverse figures.

Agreed. Some of these Batman variants are straight goofy. And doing Infected Shazam with no sign of the original is bizarre.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-04-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The issue is that you’re still thinking of it from the perspective of whether or not people will buy this rather than retailers. Stores like Target and Walmart aren’t thinking “Isn’t DKR too specific?” They’re thinking “Oh, new toys of Batman, Joker and Superman? Cool, those have good sales records.” and that’s what appeals to them. Whether or not it’s a specific storyline is less important than the name recognition of who is headlining.
    But if you see a Superman with long hair and chains and no cape, or a Wonder Woman with a mohawk and a chainsaw or a Robin with an evil smile, the first thought I would have is "Why would they do this?"
    Assassinate Putin!