Page 79 of 123 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1840
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Lord Seth last appeared in the 90's Namor series, and honestly he is one of my fave supporting cast members because he really supported Namor unlike Namor's other cousins *glares at Byrrah* Ugh. I just want a Namor series that is actually about Namor and his cast, not about the surface world or a event or anything! I just want to see the Atlanteans back, espically Vashti. ):

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Top ten foes of Namor? But can only pick ten.
    1. Llrya
    2. Surface World/Roxxon
    3. Warlord Krang
    4. Attuma
    5. Tiger Shark
    6. Suma-Ket/Artys-Gran
    7. Emperor Tha-korr (I personally feel Tha-Korr was a villain or at least a villainous character who shaped Namor through his childhood with his hate/abuse, yes he is Namor's grandfather but family can hurt you worse than strangers sometimes)
    8. Writers who use Namor as a Plot Device
    9. Byrrah
    10. Machan (adding him even tho he is a new character but i feel like if we had more time to explore this then maybe we could have gotten a better and more coherent plot? However we most likely won't ever see this character again simply because newer villains never seem to stick)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

This fan comic is very funny and thought I would share here XD

Mighty Member

So who besides Dwayne Johnson that probably won't be cast as Namor can the MCU cast that won't look incredibly ridiculous next to Aquaman's Momoa. And yes, I know its two different universes but comparisons are bound to happen. They happen now, more than any other DC vs Marvel, these are basically so similar in concept that they will ALWAYS be compared. And lets face it a DC vs Marvel movie is inevitable down the line.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    So who besides Dwayne Johnson that probably won't be cast as Namor can the MCU cast that won't look incredibly ridiculous next to Aquaman's Momoa. And yes, I know its two different universes but comparisons are bound to happen. They happen now, more than any other DC vs Marvel, these are basically so similar in concept that they will ALWAYS be compared. And lets face it a DC vs Marvel movie is inevitable down the line.
    Wow. Tough question. Especially with those pics to distract, errr, I mean to compare to. LOL!

I'll have to examine these pics and think on it. ;p

Of course, if the actor has the chops to pull off the attitude and charisma, the physique can be built up. I'm still wondering if Marvel would go with a relatively unknown actor? IIRC, Hemsworth hadn't done many movies or standout roles before Thor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I of course love soap and drama. The '60s cartoons had a nice show of the court dramas. I never want to see any of the deceased ~cheaply~ brought back. So please no Dorma. But there really would be no end to stories, whether new or with characters from before. I'd like see a story where ex patriots from around the world who've come to Atlantis, are part of the action, or now serve in various forms.

Back in the '80s there was a story where Dire Wraiths were impersonating Atlanteans and a psychic girl could see it, almost died and was then turned into a water breather (the machine that Namor almost used on Sue, actually). But the red skinned ET, Tamera? What happens to these folks once they arrive and decide to stay.

Likewise other underwater types, Lemuria, or even Deviants of various sorts. Other Inhumans? Triton can't be the only water breather.

There is plenty to keep the focus underwater.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wow. Tough question. Especially with those pics to distract, errr, I mean to compare to. LOL!

I'll have to examine these pics and think on it. ;p

Of course, if the actor has the chops to pull off the attitude and charisma, the physique can be built up. I'm still wondering if Marvel would go with a relatively unknown actor? IIRC, Hemsworth hadn't done many movies or standout roles before Thor.
    Rev, wake up! This is serious discussion! Life or death matter! I want the MCU to get it right for Namor, as they did for Avengers Big Three!

The thing is you can only do so much with the time of preparation actors have to build an impressive physique. Chris Evans (6'0") had done it before for Human Torch in FF and other movies, Henry Cavill (6'1") the same. Still Jason Momoa towers besides them too as he is 6'4". Cavill (6'1') has gained a considerable amount of muscle mass thru the years more than Evans. Only Tom Welling and Chris Hemsworth both 6'3" from all the actors that play superhero have the height and frame to compete. Lets discard Tom Welling as he never wore the suit for Smallville so I doubt he would want to be Namor.

And there are actors that have body types that don't lend well to muscle mass like Ben Affleck (6'4") and Armie Hammer (6'5"). They get big but its hard for them to fill the limbs and get cut.

Both Jason Momoa and Chris Hemsworth came from backgrounds were their bodies and being shirtless on screen most of the time was a requirement. Momoa in Baywatch and Hemsworth in Home and Away. Their bodies were selling first and the acting came as second. Just as the wrestlers to actors Dwayne Johnson, Batista and Cena.

If you are thinking that a guy known best for acting and the occasional shirt off is going to do great, think twice. Look at Robert Pattinson as Batman (didn't even want to workout) and Zachary Levi as Shazam. Lucky for Pattinson Batman can go the route of Iron Man. And poor Zachary Levi did as much as he could but in the end had to wear a muscle suit.

What I'm saying is that its hard to compete with Jason Momoa but we must if Namor is not going to end up as the beta of ocean heroes and a joke like the Deep that is even wearing a similar suit to Namor's leotard.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 09-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I of course love soap and drama. The '60s cartoons had a nice show of the court dramas. I never want to see any of the deceased ~cheaply~ brought back. So please no Dorma. But there really would be no end to stories, whether new or with characters from before. I'd like see a story where ex patriots from around the world who've come to Atlantis, are part of the action, or now serve in various forms.

Back in the '80s there was a story where Dire Wraiths were impersonating Atlanteans and a psychic girl could see it, almost died and was then turned into a water breather (the machine that Namor almost used on Sue, actually). But the red skinned ET, Tamera? What happens to these folks once they arrive and decide to stay.

Likewise other underwater types, Lemuria, or even Deviants of various sorts. Other Inhumans? Triton can't be the only water breather.

There is plenty to keep the focus underwater.
    Poor Dorma, she is Marvel first lady in comics preceding even Betty Dean and gets denied resurrection. I protest, Sir! If Gwen Stacy can make it so does Lady Dorma! Seriously to me Dorma and Vashti are integral to a fully realized Namor, the Submariner. The 60s cartoons got it right!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Lord Seth last appeared in the 90's Namor series, and honestly he is one of my fave supporting cast members because he really supported Namor unlike Namor's other cousins *glares at Byrrah* Ugh. I just want a Namor series that is actually about Namor and his cast, not about the surface world or a event or anything! I just want to see the Atlanteans back, espically Vashti. ):

1. Llrya
    2. Surface World/Roxxon
    3. Warlord Krang
    4. Attuma
    5. Tiger Shark
    6. Suma-Ket/Artys-Gran
    7. Emperor Tha-korr (I personally feel Tha-Korr was a villain or at least a villainous character who shaped Namor through his childhood with his hate/abuse, yes he is Namor's grandfather but family can hurt you worse than strangers sometimes)
    8. Writers who use Namor as a Plot Device
    9. Byrrah
    10. Machan (adding him even tho he is a new character but i feel like if we had more time to explore this then maybe we could have gotten a better and more coherent plot? However we most likely won't ever see this character again simply because newer villains never seem to stick)
    IW I like your list and Yes! We need to finally see NAMOR and ATLANTIS given the importance they deserve! Starting with bringing back Namor's iconic cast that starts with Dorma and Vashti.

IW I like your list and Yes! We need to finally see NAMOR and ATLANTIS given the importance they deserve! Starting with bringing back Namor's iconic cast that starts with Dorma and Vashti.
    We just need Marvel to get on board and give a series with a good writer and artist.

Poor Dorma, she is Marvel first lady in comics preceding even Betty Dean and gets denied resurrection. I protest, Sir! If Gwen Stacy can make it so does Lady Dorma! Seriously to me Dorma and Vashti are integral to a fully realized Namor, the Submariner. The 60s cartoons got it right!
    If Gwen Stacy, most known for dying, could be brought back (alternate universe) and be a huge part of the spider-man mythos then Dorma deserves the same chance imo. she had a backbone of steel and wasn't afraid to get into the action.

As always my choice is Daniel Henney, he is a solid 6'2'' tall, exactly Namor's height, and he even has a widow's peak for his hair which its a character feature I love about Namor. With some colored contacts, pointy ears, wings, speedo, and more training he would be an amazing Namor.

Mighty Member

We just need Marvel to get on board and give a series with a good writer and artist.
    And I'm sure many writers and artists would be interested but Marvel has always handle Namor the short stick.

If Gwen Stacy, most known for dying, could be brought back (alternate universe) and be a huge part of the spider-man mythos then Dorma deserves the same chance imo. she had a backbone of steel and wasn't afraid to get into the action.
    Exactly! How many times she ended up saving Namor? Plus Atlantis needs a face of old beloved classic characters. Just like Asgard has Odin, Heimdall, Sif, the Warriors Three, etc. Namor doesn't have even one non superhero Atlantean from the old cast standing. Makes it so easy to discard Atlantis as a bunch of faceless blue people in the background and get the city destroyed every time a writer needs to write some catastrophe in his story.

As always my choice is Daniel Henney, he is a solid 6'2'' tall, exactly Namor's height, and he even has a widow's peak for his hair which its a character feature I love about Namor. With some colored contacts, pointy ears, wings, speedo, and more training he would be an amazing Namor.
    He certainly has the height but those are really old Henney pictures, he will be 41 this November and looking more like a dad and a lot skinnier now. When you lift heavy all your life you build muscle and by 40 you start looking big even if you have never done steroids. I doubt at that age and looking so slim he could ever get to Momoa competing shape. Not impossible but its going to be extremely hard. Momoa is naturally muscular and Henney is naturally skinny.

Last edited by Thor-El; 09-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.

I'm always going to be salty that DC snagged Momoa first when anyone with eyes can plainly see he was totally Namor, or at least they took aspects of Namor from his savage era. *sigh* I just hope we get a good Namor if he ever gets into the movies. Bad characterization can ruin a character because you see that transferred back to the comics ever since the mcu started.

Rev, wake up! This is serious discussion! Life or death matter! I want the MCU to get it right for Namor, as they did for Avengers Big Three!

The thing is you can only do so much with the time of preparation actors have to build an impressive physique. Chris Evans (6'0") had done it before for Human Torch in FF and other movies, Henry Cavill (6'1") the same. Still Jason Momoa towers besides them too as he is 6'4". Cavill (6'1') has gained a considerable amount of muscle mass thru the years more than Evans. Only Tom Welling and Chris Hemsworth both 6'3" from all the actors that play superhero have the height and frame to compete. Lets discard Tom Welling as he never wore the suit for Smallville so I doubt he would want to be Namor.

And there are actors that have body types that don't lend well to muscle mass like Ben Affleck (6'4") and Armie Hammer (6'5"). They get big but its hard for them to fill the limbs and get cut.

Both Jason Momoa and Chris Hemsworth came from backgrounds were their bodies and being shirtless on screen most of the time was a requirement. Momoa in Baywatch and Hemsworth in Home and Away. Their bodies were selling first and the acting came as second. Just as the wrestlers to actors Dwayne Johnson, Batista and Cena.

If you are thinking that a guy known best for acting and the occasional shirt off is going to do great, think twice. Look at Robert Pattinson as Batman (didn't even want to workout) and Zachary Levi as Shazam. Lucky for Pattinson Batman can go the route of Iron Man. And poor Zachary Levi did as much as he could but in the end had to wear a muscle suit.

What I'm saying is that its hard to compete with Jason Momoa but we must if Namor is not going to end up as the beta of ocean heroes and a joke like the Deep that is even wearing a similar suit to Namor's leotard.
    I have no idea who I would want to be Namor but hope for the day he is realized on the screen. I think they should go with the facts; his ancient and somewhat arcane origin, as Marvel's actual first hero. Ignore the detractors, people learned with Guardians that Marvel has wonderment that has been around for a long time, without being "well known", so Namor will claim his place eventually.

I did want to point out that Welling was recently in the CW crossover that was a version of Crisis/Infinite Earths, and he looked a bit stocky, overweight even, so he'd have to do serious work if he was in the running. But as an older now actor, I think he could do it - he has expressive mannerisms

Well, when you put it that way... but I think - to me - the various Dorma as clone, Dorma as Counter-Earth version, Dorma as multi-verse version

have spoiled or tainted the prospect. I think I've been conditioned to think of Namor as semi-tragic unlucky in love - Betty D, Sue, Dorma, Marinna, etc.

For me, I would have to see the story, whether it is Dorma back, after all this time, or someone new or available and 'like' - a water breather is preferred but maybe something else? An Inhuman who can live underwater or similar? I don't know.

I think I've been conditioned out of the idea due to Namor's 'plot' usage, more than anything. So I would need an organic way of seeing this. I always liked him best, in the old Defenders, quite frankly. More than the Avengers, X-Men or Invaders, though the latter is about 2nd.

Yes, the thing about Namor is he should look exotic, to American sensibilities most, but he was that way in his introduction due to the cultural thing around the war perhaps. But I agree with this person/actor, I have no idea who they are.

But Namor should be lithe and muscled, to me, but incredibly strong. He should not look to be as strong as he actually is, plus the flight and near invulnerability.

Boisterously Confused

You don't need an enourmous slab of beef to play Namor. One of the things I most liked about The Sub-Mariner was that he was so powerful but yet so lithe. It made his contrasts against goes like Attuma, The Hulk and (most classically) The Thing so visually compelling.