Page 716 of 750 FirstFirst ... 216616666706712713714715716717718719720726 ... LastLast
Results 10,726 to 10,740 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Could be a silent majority thing. Looking at Twitter you'd think that humanity was united in their condemnation of any attempted recast. Look at other major forums and in real life and you'll find a public that's a lot more divided if not leaning slightly pro-recast. The profile of someone who will retweet #Shuriwasrobbed isn't the same as someone who would hypothetically do the same for T'Challa. Most people don't care about this comic **** or the things that Twitter cares about lol.

Which is why a company should never measure public sentiments based off social media and blue check marks, as they can radically be out of lockstep with what the general audience wants or is willing to support. Look at the fool we elected president in 2016 lol. Disney may think the overwhelming majority of the public immensely supports a Shuri BP or Wakanda ensemble film. Then they may be surprised when the proportion of black people watching the film drops or realize there aren't nearly as many casual viewers watching the film a 2nd or 3rd time. Not recasting is a risky proposition and a couple hastags won't be able to save the film IF it doesn't work out the way Disney hopes. It'll in no way result in a flop, but there is the possibility it underperforms and that could partially be due to misunderstanding what your audience came to theaters for.
    Honestly I'm doubtful that public opinion played a significant role in their decision, because frankly I think they knew damn well they were going to get a social media backlash on twitter no matter what they did.

And honestly it's doubtful that such a backlash either way is going to actually effect the movie. I think it's fair to assume that the majority of the audience will be fine as long as we end up with a fun well written marvel super hero movie. The marvel brand name is strong enough to earn the benefit of the doubt from most of the audience. The movie may well underperform in comparrison to the first movie... but I think there are a lot of other things going on which will have a much stronger impact on box office performance than people making noise on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Disney won't kill T'Challa off in the comics, they'll just do what they did with his intelligence, just on a larger scale. Ever since the first film Shuri's been pushed as Wakanda's greatest mind so we've had moments in T'Challa's appearances where tech feats that would've gone to him a decade ago are being given to Shuri. We'll be seeing a more comprehensive version in terms of how he gets used.

So right now, T'Challa is the true king of Wakanda, the "real" BP, a member of the Avengers, and has a solo comic. Expect that to be cut. They'll almost definitely put Shuri in her own BP suit and have 2 Black Panthers, then they'll split different roles between them. She might become Queen and manage the solo while T'Challa runs with the Avengers or vice versa. Maybe they turn the BP solo into a buddy cop/World of Wakanda title and relegate T'Challa to a secondary team like the Secret Avengers while Shuri is with the main team. We probably won't see this until about a year or two after the sequel drops, because it takes a while for the comics to properly synergize. That gives us another 3-4 years before we start seeing a massive reduction in T'Challa's comic prominence. I don't think T'Challa will slump into complete irrelevance, but I fully expect him to be making less appearances and getting less push than 2016-2020.
    I think Shuri will be pushed but I don't think it'll necessarily effect T'Challa.

Sam will be carrying around the shield and Jane will be carrying around the hammer in the MCU... but I still see Steve and Odinson front and center in the Avengers for a long long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think you are placing too much emphasis on that. BP aint going anywhere in the books or videogames just bc he may not be used in the next film

They didnt gleefully remove the character. WTF?!? You think they are happy about what happened? I also dont think the announcement was rushed. They had MONTHS to plan around this. This wasnt a quick decision that wasnt thought out.
    Well... It was rushed. Chadwick passed away not even 4 months ago. last month they announced that they were going to start filming in July and then just announced T'Challa isn't in the sequel.. that's the definition of rushed. This was a quick decision without any proper time to mourn

Also when Chadwick was alive and thr movie was hot we STILL couldn't get T'Challa in the main roster for the game. Now it's even less likely

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Shuri will be pushed but I don't think it'll necessarily effect T'Challa.

Sam will be carrying around the shield and Jane will be carrying around the hammer in the MCU... but I still see Steve and Odinson front and center in the Avengers for a long long time to come.
    You have this faulty notion that poc heroes get treated the same as white heroes. They don't. They very easily make it a one or the other type of situation. T'Challa at his hottest still wasn't the focus and there were several spin offs that used his name to push other characters. Now add in a MCU sequel that doesn't even feature him and that discrepancy gets even worse

Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    You have this faulty notion that poc heroes get treated the same as white heroes. They don't. They very easily make it a one or the other type of situation. T'Challa at his hottest still wasn't the focus and there were several spin offs that used his name to push other characters. Now add in a MCU sequel that doesn't even feature him and that discrepancy gets even worse
    Honestly I don't think legacy characters really replace the originals, regardless of whether they're POC or not in the comics. 50 years from now Steve will still be Captain America, Odinson will still be Thor, Peter Parker will still be Spider-Man, and T'Challa will still be Black Panther. That's just how comics work. Status quo is king. Even if someone in the comics does kill off Steve or T'Challa or Tony we all know they come back to life sooner rather than later. For better or for worse, in comics the only constant is a lack of change.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Jason was on point as usual.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Jason was on point as usual.
    It is a good point. Nothing against anybody involved, real or fictional, but if DC can recast Batman and the Joker and Superman and Lex Luthor again and again and again in movies, and if, on the Marvel side, Spider-Man (Peter Parker) can have a total of three actors playing him in movies over the course of nearly 20 years, the current one taking up the webs two years after the last one's movie . . . it wouldn't be the worst thing to recast T'Challa and keep the character alive in the MCU.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Heres the thing, and don't take this the wrong way as in just explaining my own opinion. It's like I said, there are people who don't understand, not truly, WHY Black Panther resonated so well. People read about or see images of kids and grown adults at the theater in tears when watching black panther and they don't fully grasp the magnitude of how important this franchise is to people if you haven't experienced it first hand what it's like to see yourself represented like that.

I remember as a kid I used to wish I was white sometimes just so that I could feel that same feeling my friends who were white felt when they saw Spiderman, Batman, superman, and pretty much any hero or just character in general doing cool **** who also looked like them.

When you have it all the time it's easy to, well take it for granted. I'm not a long time Black Panther fan, I actually didn't learn about the character till I was browsing online one day in 2014 and happened upon him and then started researching him. Instantly I was intrigued and immediately after reading his wiki page I started looking online for any Black Panther comics I could get my hands on to buy. I couldn't believe that such a character existed.

I became an instant fan. So while I haven't waited my entire life to see BP specifically on sense of following his comics, I have been waiting my entire life to see a character who is truly one I want to aspire to be like.

This is more than just seeing him go to war with atlantis or joining the Avengers, or interacting with certain characters. This is about seeing T'Challa the man who from his franchise comes from a fantastical place, change it for the better, he is a King among kings, a warrior among warriors the GOAT.

And it's about exploring this character, who has a ton of history and importance behind HIM, as he was the one who was holding his franchise together, now as a fan and a person who's waited for such a character, have that taken away.

First there's the tragedy of a truly wonderful person, I don't get star struck or really care to meet any celebrities but Chad was one of very few on my list, but then also by this idea that there can only be one Black person occupying a certain space. Chadwick talked about that, wanting to break that mindset. But now exactly what he was working hard to break has just happened.

The a Black male led franchise with the potential (we already seen what it can do) to hit Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and Bond levels of success and household recognition, had had that very rare spot removed and it's going to try and split it between characters that frankly don't have any sort of weight behind them.

The one with the most, is M'Baku and he is nothing like his comic counterpart. They are trying to say Wakanda is bigger than T'Challa, he becomes a footnote in his own franchise while they try and make it work without any real Established.. anything to go off. Be it comics or even he MCU itself.

Every actor will always be compared to their predecessor when playing characters like T'Challa or Peter. That's just how it is, but at the same time none of these characters are beholden to any actor.

Chadwick realised how important T'Challa was to people. You don't need to see an interview with his spoon feeding it to know this, actions speak louder that words. When he talks about all my children and how his characters backstory, he could of kept quiet and got paid, instead he fought for change and more than stereotypes, he got fired but that led to his successor MBJ to get the character with better foundation and depth to him which led him to success.

In 42 Chad studied Robinson videos to see how he moved and slid into bases so he could get it right, and argued with the directors about how the stunt double wasn't sliding how Robinson did in real life and they agreed to let him do it himself. For Black panther he fought to not have Wakandan speaking with a British accent and was willing to walk away if they didn't relent. He turned down endorsements that he felt would hurt T'Challas positive image for young kid's.

He's done all of that worked so hard.. do you think he would really be cool with T'Challa dieing with him? After all that work? To rob people of that feeling they had wheb they left the theater for the the solo movie? Straight up, Disney fucked up. This announcement was in bad taste. They waited less than 4 months after his passing and announced not only are they going to start filming next year but T'Challas out.

Under honoring a character Chad fought hard to get to the big screen. No ones allowed to play the character. Sure it sounds nice when they pretty up the words but they have just said that this character is not important enough to continue and what he brings to the table isn't worth exploring. They say they want to Honor Chad while ignoring WHAT Chad was doing which was setting this character up for others to continue what he started and continue to inspire millions like he did.

You say they love the rich culture.. but not the Character, the Man who inspires greatness, the KING who inspired that greatness. Name another black hero that even matches up to T'Challas stature. No drugs, no baby mamas no gangs, or pimps, a good man with a good heart. People love Cap Because he represents american values. Well people love T'Challa Because he represents Black excellence and they took that character away from us because hey wanted to rush announcements and not let people have time (fans and the crew alike) to properly mourn

Extraordinary Member

I agree with this. I hope more people start to realize this. Irs not about not allowing Shuri to eventually take the mantle. It's about a character as big and symbolic as T'Challa being able to continue on and tell his story on the big screen. If he is as important as marvel has claimed over the years then he should not be done before his story was told and closing off such a huge opportunity for a black led male character to be shown as a good man and good King. I really don't see this being the case for Tony or Cap or Thor if RDJ Evans or hemsworth passed before their time

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think synergy will work to that degree.

We KNOW Iron Man is dead and Steve Roger's is legit retired in the mcu. Until a reboot, they are done. But I don't feel like their presence has really lessened, and IF Tchalla were to die (and that's a big IF) I think the same would be true. Yes, synergy is a thing but outside of the movies super heroes really don't change that much. Pretty much all of them have been in the exact same place for a long long time.
    Two completely different circumstances with two characters Marvel views completely differently than they do Tchalla thanks to racial protections. White men in charge are much more protective of their white iconic heros. None of them would have ever been tossed aside in the MCU after one solo movie

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think you are placing too much emphasis on that. BP aint going anywhere in the books or videogames just bc he may not be used in the next film

They didnt gleefully remove the character. WTF?!? You think they are happy about what happened? I also dont think the announcement was rushed. They had MONTHS to plan around this. This wasnt a quick decision that wasnt thought out.
    Black panther has already gone Somewhere in the video games. The mobile games are completely synergized and shuri is the Black Panther in a few of them that are coming out. She's also sudo in charge in a few of the games because they have Tchalla asking her what to do and where to go about situations. Marvel has used every character but black panther to promote both Black Panther 1 posthumously and black panther 2 coming up. They even have podcasts out talking about how important shuri has been in comics. So yea...synergy.

They announced that they weren't going to recast atalla as if it was some sort of Brave heroic Act of selflessness on their part. So yeah...gleefully announced. No i dont think they are happy about Boseman passing. I just KNOW they arent sad enough to cancel the (his) franchise out of respect for it and they are greedy enough to make sure its released on schedule.

Anyway, as for seeing Black Panther without Black Panther...no ill pass. I saw BP1 about 5 times in theaters and i didnt even like Tchallas presentation. This movie however will get zero of my support. Ill say the same in 2022.
    Last edited by Ekie; 12-15-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

You know what is at least one good thing about this whole not re-casting T’Challa for the sequel?

It’s that I no longer have to hear clueless fanboys bring up Namor should be in BP2

damn, ezyo like shut down the thread yesterday preachin' lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    this whole convo breaks my heart.

all these people waiting so long for some light, just some light, to shine on them. and now we're seeing so many people fighting over the shreds because they know no one else really cares.

the same blindness that made the historic success of BP 1 a surprise to everyone but us is what's governing these feelings now. both in the audience and in the halls of power.

i am truly sorry for all of us.
    I've like given up.

I/We lost the game.

My garage gym has Panther stuff all over it and I might take some down because it pisses me off seeing it vs being cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm not going to be watching BP 2. It may not matter to Marvel but it matters to me.

I'm not boycotting the film because that would mean I'm encouraging others to not to watch it. Only speaking for myself, I will not watch BP 2 if there is no recast for T'Challa.
    I'll read spoilers and then prolly see it in Disney+ since I already have it anyway.

I ain't going to the theaters. I refuse.

But if people want to watch it,, they 100% should support what they want and find interesting. I'm not gonna be toxic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You know what is at least one good thing about this whole not re-casting T’Challa for the sequel?

It’s that I no longer have to hear clueless fanboys bring up Namor should be in BP2
    They gonna post the scan of Shuri fighting Namor lol
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 12-15-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html