Page 713 of 750 FirstFirst ... 213613663703709710711712713714715716717723 ... LastLast
Results 10,681 to 10,695 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    There are some here and definitely those at Disney that aren't realising something. Why did the movie resonate so hard? Because people waited their entire lives, an entire demographic has waited their entire lives, to see themselves on the big screen like this. Powerful, excellence, no stereotypical bullshit, no inner city need white savior, no slave movie, no gangbangin. But royalty, power, Black Love, Black men and women shown as equally as equals. Representation not seen like this in any other movie. And the character that represents it all.

T'Challa. People have waited, and now disney is saying tough **** you don't get that. No interaction with Cap or strange or Tony, no SWaD. Any comic story you wanted to see adapted you don't get that. T'Challas hero journey? Nope here's the supporting cast who have no source material, no agency that isn't directly tied to T'Challa, no rogues, memorable stories because... THEY have decided that T'Challa and only him, cannot be replaced, Chadwick is the only person capable of playing him and so a character that has been around for this long is not allowed to continue to live on. And continue to inspire millions and we have to wait, assuming Marvel even reboots or comic book movies still are a thing, to get another opportunity to see him on the big screen. Which again is not even a guarantee. Comic book movies could easily fade out of popularity like westerns for the new draw to take its place.

That's why this is so upsetting to alot of people. This movie was more then just some comic book character. It's the first of his kind, first Black superhero ever, who isn't based on some racial bullshit. A King. The first big budget film not revolved around Black suffering and the character who drives that is not allowed to continue his story because.. they don't want to do respect Chad? He's the only one who can play him? That's all bullshit. I know Chadwick wouldn't want to rob people of T'Challa at hos expense on some guise of honoring him. That's why people arent okay with it, the higher ups at Disney haven't experienced what it's like to see that representation taking away from them because there will always be white heroes.
    I sympathize belive me. I dont have the same about of decades reading this characters but I love BP and I remember rhe day ww heard he was coming into the MCU. I was hyped beyond belief.

Id give anything to see his war with Atlantis, his joining the Avengers. But at the same time I'm conflicted.

As I've said if they replace him then TChalla comes with a footnote for the rest of his time. The entire character is gonna have "this guy is just replacing Chad" in the back of everyone's minds. And could that change? Maybe, probably. But I just don't know.

Really hoping for another earths TChalla. The character will leave a huge vacuum in his wake if he's not there but at the same time replacing Chad would feel wrong to me. Its an emotional argument more so than a logical one.

As for the impact, that will outlive the Panther I think. And I think that's a good thing. Look at what has been accomplished. Wakanda is up there with Gotham and Metropolis now. Its as much a character as those and everyone loves it. They love this culture rich with African heritage and I dont think any other IP could've achieved that.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I mean they're gonna write T'Challa out then force the side characters to carry the story he was supposed be the center of. It could be great or it could be ass. If it's a war with Atlantis, which many have speculated, then it's gonna be them against Namor and some secondary antagonist like Junta or Attuma. If it's a less tanky villain they're going up against, like Achebe, they'd take him on too but with a more strategic edge.

I don't think Coogler made fundamental changes to the script, it's quite likely he just added in a scene recognizing T'Challa's death and inserted Shuri or some other character into the scenes he was supposed to be in. Then he maybe beefed up the other characters' roles so it feels like an ensemble, which I think is the best direction at this point. He probably kept the same general story beats but completely reworked the dialogue meaning there weren't any fundamental changes to the design, action set pieces, etc.
    Apparently it's the only direction. Unless they dance around the sequel and Don't actually say T'Challa is dead but away or missing so they can gauge movie goer reaction to see if it can work. But nah I don't think you can reasonably have the cast take on Namor, that would actually really piss me off if they tried that (I mean it's going to piss me off regardless but still) so I actually think they may go smaller scale. But treating it like the furious franchise also just feels off because these characters only have one main trait about them, I really don't buy them all of a sudden gaining all of T'Challas character traits (another thing that would piss me off) and going on like it's nothing. The appeal of the first was how everyone had a role to fill and stayed in their lane. I just don't see this going well. And unlike Brian in the fast franchise, Black Panther literally revolves around T'Challa in every shape of the word. I dunno man I think Coogler I'd going to have to change some fundamental things about it because his script was based around T'Challa being there. You can't just copy paste his lines or another character. I think more changes to the script are likely happening

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    I sympathize belive me. I dont have the same about of decades reading this characters but I love BP and I remember rhe day ww heard he was coming into the MCU. I was hyped beyond belief.

Id give anything to see his war with Atlantis, his joining the Avengers. But at the same time I'm conflicted.

As I've said if they replace him then TChalla comes with a footnote for the rest of his time. The entire character is gonna have "this guy is just replacing Chad" in the back of everyone's minds. And could that change? Maybe, probably. But I just don't know.

Really hoping for another earths TChalla. The character will leave a huge vacuum in his wake if he's not there but at the same time replacing Chad would feel wrong to me. Its an emotional argument more so than a logical one.

As for the impact, that will outlive the Panther I think. And I think that's a good thing. Look at what has been accomplished. Wakanda is up there with Gotham and Metropolis now. Its as much a character as those and everyone loves it. They love this culture rich with African heritage and I dont think any other IP could've achieved that.
    Part of me still wonders if Coogler wouldn't want to try and sneak Jordan into the Habit as some sort of alternate Black Panther from the multiverse. Those two seemed joined at the hip sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I mean they're gonna write T'Challa out then force the side characters to carry the story he was supposed be the center of. It could be great or it could be ass. If it's a war with Atlantis, which many have speculated, then it's gonna be them against Namor and some secondary antagonist like Junta or Attuma. If it's a less tanky villain they're going up against, like Achebe, they'd take him on too but with a more strategic edge.

I don't think Coogler made fundamental changes to the script, it's quite likely he just added in a scene recognizing T'Challa's death and inserted Shuri or some other character into the scenes he was supposed to be in. Then he maybe beefed up the other characters' roles so it feels like an ensemble, which I think is the best direction at this point. He probably kept the same general story beats but completely reworked the dialogue meaning there weren't any fundamental changes to the design, action set pieces, etc.
    Even if T'Challa isn't dead, I think a story about what Wakanda would do if T'Challa wasn't around during a crisis is worth telliing. In comics T'CHalla is literally gone half the time doing stuff with his super hero buddies in the states. I think it's actually sort of cool seeing Wakanda without T'Challa handing a big problem.

A story with Namor is potentially interesting, because interacting with a female instead of a male potentially changes the dynamic completely. It likely wouldn't be as competetive or physical with Shuri as it would with T'Challa. Hell, they might even throw a bit of sexual tension in there for fun. And I'm of the belief that Namor won't be a flat out villain anyways, so it's doable if they wanna go there.

Heres the thing, and don't take this the wrong way as in just explaining my own opinion. It's like I said, there are people who don't understand, not truly, WHY Black Panther resonated so well. People read about or see images of kids and grown adults at the theater in tears when watching black panther and they don't fully grasp the magnitude of how important this franchise is to people if you haven't experienced it first hand what it's like to see yourself represented like that.

I remember as a kid I used to wish I was white sometimes just so that I could feel that same feeling my friends who were white felt when they saw Spiderman, Batman, superman, and pretty much any hero or just character in general doing cool **** who also looked like them.

When you have it all the time it's easy to, well take it for granted. I'm not a long time Black Panther fan, I actually didn't learn about the character till I was browsing online one day in 2014 and happened upon him and then started researching him. Instantly I was intrigued and immediately after reading his wiki page I started looking online for any Black Panther comics I could get my hands on to buy. I couldn't believe that such a character existed.

I became an instant fan. So while I haven't waited my entire life to see BP specifically on sense of following his comics, I have been waiting my entire life to see a character who is truly one I want to aspire to be like.

This is more than just seeing him go to war with atlantis or joining the Avengers, or interacting with certain characters. This is about seeing T'Challa the man who from his franchise comes from a fantastical place, change it for the better, he is a King among kings, a warrior among warriors the GOAT.

And it's about exploring this character, who has a ton of history and importance behind HIM, as he was the one who was holding his franchise together, now as a fan and a person who's waited for such a character, have that taken away.

First there's the tragedy of a truly wonderful person, I don't get star struck or really care to meet any celebrities but Chad was one of very few on my list, but then also by this idea that there can only be one Black person occupying a certain space. Chadwick talked about that, wanting to break that mindset. But now exactly what he was working hard to break has just happened.

The a Black male led franchise with the potential (we already seen what it can do) to hit Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and Bond levels of success and household recognition, had had that very rare spot removed and it's going to try and split it between characters that frankly don't have any sort of weight behind them.

The one with the most, is M'Baku and he is nothing like his comic counterpart. They are trying to say Wakanda is bigger than T'Challa, he becomes a footnote in his own franchise while they try and make it work without any real Established.. anything to go off. Be it comics or even he MCU itself.

Every actor will always be compared to their predecessor when playing characters like T'Challa or Peter. That's just how it is, but at the same time none of these characters are beholden to any actor.

Chadwick realised how important T'Challa was to people. You don't need to see an interview with his spoon feeding it to know this, actions speak louder that words. When he talks about all my children and how his characters backstory, he could of kept quiet and got paid, instead he fought for change and more than stereotypes, he got fired but that led to his successor MBJ to get the character with better foundation and depth to him which led him to success.

In 42 Chad studied Robinson videos to see how he moved and slid into bases so he could get it right, and argued with the directors about how the stunt double wasn't sliding how Robinson did in real life and they agreed to let him do it himself. For Black panther he fought to not have Wakandan speaking with a British accent and was willing to walk away if they didn't relent. He turned down endorsements that he felt would hurt T'Challas positive image for young kid's.

He's done all of that worked so hard.. do you think he would really be cool with T'Challa dieing with him? After all that work? To rob people of that feeling they had wheb they left the theater for the the solo movie? Straight up, Disney fucked up. This announcement was in bad taste. They waited less than 4 months after his passing and announced not only are they going to start filming next year but T'Challas out.

Under honoring a character Chad fought hard to get to the big screen. No ones allowed to play the character. Sure it sounds nice when they pretty up the words but they have just said that this character is not important enough to continue and what he brings to the table isn't worth exploring. They say they want to Honor Chad while ignoring WHAT Chad was doing which was setting this character up for others to continue what he started and continue to inspire millions like he did.

You say they love the rich culture.. but not the Character, the Man who inspires greatness, the KING who inspired that greatness. Name another black hero that even matches up to T'Challas stature. No drugs, no baby mamas no gangs, or pimps, a good man with a good heart. People love Cap Because he represents american values. Well people love T'Challa Because he represents Black excellence and they took that character away from us because hey wanted to rush announcements and not let people have time (fans and the crew alike) to properly mourn
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 12-14-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Ezyo1000 for the win...
    Get Hectic!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Heres the thing, and don't take this the wrong way as in just explaining my own opinion. It's like I said, there are people who don't understand, not truly, WHY Black Panther resonated so well. People read about or see images of kids and grown adults at the theater in tears when watching black panther and they don't fully grasp the magnitude of how important this franchise is to people if you haven't experienced it first hand what it's like to see yourself represented like that.

I remember as a kid I used to wish I was white sometimes just so that I could feel that same feeling my friends who were white felt when they saw Spiderman, Batman, superman, and pretty much any hero or just character in general doing cool **** who also looked like them.

When you have it all the time it's easy to, well take it for granted. I'm not a long time Black Panther fan, I actually didn't learn about the character till I was browsing online one day in 2014 and happened upon him and then started researching him. Instantly I was intrigued and immediately after reading his wiki page I started looking online for any Black Panther comics I could get my hands on to buy. I couldn't believe that such a character existed.

I became an instant fan. So while I haven't waited my entire life to see BP specifically on sense of following his comics, I have been waiting my entire life to see a character who is truly one I want to aspire to be like.

This is more than just seeing him go to war with atlantis or joining the Avengers, or interacting with certain characters. This is about seeing T'Challa the man who from his franchise comes from a fantastical place, change it for the better, he is a King among kings, a warrior among warriors the GOAT.

And it's about exploring this character, who has a ton of history and importance behind HIM, as he was the one who was holding his franchise together, now as a fan and a person who's waited for such a character, have that taken away.

First there's the tragedy of a truly wonderful person, I don't get star struck or really care to meet any celebrities but Chad was one of very few on my list, but then also by this idea that there can only be one Black person occupying a certain space. Chadwick talked about that, wanting to break that mindset. But now exactly what he was working hard to break has just happened.

The a Black male led franchise with the potential (we already seen what it can do) to hit Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and Bond levels of success and household recognition, had had that very rare spot removed and it's going to try and split it between characters that frankly don't have any sort of weight behind them.

The one with the most, is M'Baku and he is nothing like his comic counterpart. They are trying to say Wakanda is bigger than T'Challa, he becomes a footnote in his own franchise while they try and make it work without any real Established.. anything to go off. Be it comics or even he MCU itself.

Every actor will always be compared to their predecessor when playing characters like T'Challa or Peter. That's just how it is, but at the same time none of these characters are beholden to any actor.

Chadwick realised how important T'Challa was to people. You don't need to see an interview with his spoon feeding it to know this, actions speak louder that words. When he talks about all my children and how his characters backstory, he could of kept quiet and got paid, instead he fought for change and more than stereotypes, he got fired but that led to his successor MBJ to get the character with better foundation and depth to him which led him to success.

In 42 Chad studied Robinson videos to see how he moved and slid into bases so he could get it right, and argued with the directors about how the stunt double wasn't sliding how Robinson did in real life and they agreed to let him do it himself. For Black panther he fought to not have Wakandan speaking with a British accent and was willing to walk away if they didn't relent. He turned down endorsements that he felt would hurt T'Challas positive image for young kid's.

He's done all of that worked so hard.. do you think he would really be cool with T'Challa dieing with him? After all that work? To rob people of that feeling they had wheb they left the theater for the the solo movie? Straight up, Disney fucked up. This announcement was in bad taste. They waited less than 4 months after his passing and announced not only are they going to start filming next year but T'Challas out.

Under honoring a character Chad fought hard to get to the big screen. No ones allowed to play the character. Sure it sounds nice when they pretty up the words but they have just said that this character is not important enough to continue and what he brings to the table isn't worth exploring. They say they want to Honor Chad while ignoring WHAT Chad was doing which was setting this character up for others to continue what he started and continue to inspire millions like he did.

You say they love the rich culture.. but not the Character, the Man who inspires greatness, the KING who inspired that greatness. Name another black hero that even matches up to T'Challas stature. No drugs, no baby mamas no gangs, or pimps, a good man with a good heart. People love Cap Because he represents american values. Well people love T'Challa Because he represents Black excellence and they took that character away from us because hey wanted to rush announcements and not let people have time (fans and the crew alike) to properly mourn
    This hit me right in the aorta; I'm cry coughing right now.

I agree with a lot of this. And I understand it. Part of me wants them to recast. But part of me doesn't. I dont know exactly why, or its hard to put it into words. But I can try.

When you look at how the MCU has treated its actors, its almost like a family of sorts. This is reflected in both the storytelling and behind the scenes for the majority of actors. They are friends, and hang out with each other outside of work. Theres a rapport. And Narvel for their part treats their big actors with an almost sort of ownership of the role.

Think about how when Gunn was fired, how the actors rallied around him. Think how Chris Evans was allowed to quit on his terms. Most of the actors were. They werent replaced, they were literally given a send off usually of mutual benefit to both studio and actor. Like... we. Know that there isn't going to be another Tony in the MCU. And if there is he will be distinctly, deliberately NOT the Tony Stark we knows played by RDJ. Same with Steve. Its like a part of the family left.

So when Chad is here, he takes ownership of the role. You yourself wrote some ways he influenced this character. The TChalla we got, and the one the studio execs envisioned are by no means the same TChalla. Chads influence on the characters goes alot deeper than acting, he played a role in his very characterization. But now that Chad passed away who fills that void? Like I said, his protayal was more than just putting a face to the costume. He helped develop that character.

And so let's say another guy comes in. Does he do his own take? Does he just do a Chadwick impression? The nuances Chad put in wont be there. It will be like watching a Heath Joker cosplayer. Some of them are excellent, but its still ultimately an impression. Or do they allow this new actor to bring his own take on TChalla to the table? What happens then? Chads portrayal is erased/retconned? Would they be similar enough?

When I think about it that way it makes it easier to swallow this decision. Because that's really all it was going to be. An impression, or a new take. And a new take isn't necessarily bad but it's an overwrite/save of one we've already gotten used to, and frankly I'm not sure it would be better for this universe, this version of Wakanda.

Was talking to my uncle and he seems to be on board with it. He's not as big a comicreader as me but he grew up with these guys long before I was born. And he said no one would be able to live up to Chads TChalla. But at the same time I still want a TChalla around. I want him there and it just sucks.

I also think the slate played a role. There must he something in this script that requires it gets released when it does that effects the larger MU. It sucks but that is to be considered. Like... what if Chris Evans died before filming Winter Solider. They wouldve had to play that story out regardless, it was way too big of a deal and affected far too many other stories for them to delay all projects afterwards and cancel it. Maybe BP2 is slated to introduce mutants. Maybe it has huge ramifications to where it needs to happen and it needs to happen at exactly the time it releases.

Mighty Member

Right on and well said. I honestly didn't remember you having discovered T'Challa so recently. I thought you were just a little newer to the boards than me.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

This says it all.

Incredible Member

...Behold...

I ask people this. Because I cannot iterate this enough
    In all my children, Chadwick was more concerned about the growth abd the successor of the character he played then he was of his own success.

He could of just played the stereotype and no one would f batted an eye, and likely continued to praise his work. But he was concerned about the future of the character and his successors and how the image looked for Black folks, and he wanted to Honor the character he was portraying. Why did he go to those lengths in 42? No one would of thought anything about the body doubles performance. But HE did. He wanted to properly honor Jackie.

He wanted Black Panther to be as authentic as possible, he wanted to Honor T'Challa.

Everyone is so set on wanting to honor his legacy that they seem to have lost sight of WHAT his legacy has been since day one... The future generations. The next person to take the reigns and continue this character he helped bring to the big screen. You can't deny the feeling Black boys had when they saw T'Challa on the big screen. T'Challa the man, the king, the son, brother, friend, lover, and hero...

He showed folks there is something more. It's like the final scene of the movie when the royal talon appears in front of the kids and the boy is in awe of T'Challa and asks "Who are you?" That was the theme of the movie, show them who you are. Well Chadwick was a trailblazer. Abd what the best way to honor a trailblazer?...

It's better to potentially have a footnote rather than having nothing at all. As it stands t'challa is ceasing to exist. Chadwick Boseman work is ceasing to exist after one solo movie. There is no defense of this choice that honors either t'challa or the man that played him. That includes Feigie and company who are just mournful enough to kill Ychalla off but just greedy eniugh to push the movie out in time without the franchise character.
    Last edited by Ekie; 12-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.

...My guy right here! You do us all proud man. This type of passion, perspective is what so many causal, and unfans will never quite get. Hell you literally are channeling the essence of Mr. Majestik, our locked out brotha in arms.