Page 133 of 750 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Coates is not a "safe" writer. Nor is he a "dangerous" writer.

He's a "literary" writer, who gets noticed by newspapers, magazines, and academic journals, but could care less if he's popular.

Have you ever looked up the definition of "literary fiction"? This is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

• A concern with social commentary, political criticism, or reflection on the human condition.
    • A focus on "introspective, in-depth character studies" of "interesting, complex and developed" characters, whose "inner stories" drive the plot, with detailed motivations to elicit "emotional involvement" in the reader.
    • A slower pace than popular fiction. As Terrence Rafferty notes, "literary fiction, by its nature, allows itself to dawdle, to linger on stray beauties even at the risk of losing its way".
    • A concern with the style and complexity of the writing: Saricks describes literary fiction as "elegantly written, lyrical, and ... layered".
    • Unlike genre fiction plot is not the central concern.
    • The tone of literary fiction can be darker than genre fiction.

Sound familiar?
    Very Much so. Which that is fine for novels or books to do so, but in a superhero comic where action and and plot are very important ontop of established continuity which should prevent one from deviating from said continuity in such a dramatic way, it doesn't work. And yeah his stories lost their way, if you can even say they had a direction in the first place. Every thing just changes and becomes important or unimportant at random

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Dangerous is too strong a work... he's still a comic book writer in this capacity at least.

BUt I think ultimately he like most political writers will try to challenge or at least question the status quo, even if he happens to ruffle a few feathers. And you can certainly argue he did just that.. you can't say his name on this board without generating a poloraziing effect. Which is probably the desired effect quite frankly.
    No, there's a difference between being controversial and ruffling feathers in a manner like day Hudlin did for BP, which made unfans and haters angry because he portrayed tchalla and Wakanda as unapologetically Black and treated the mythos in the same vein as white heroes and a force to be reckoned. Who's goal was to uplift and raise T'Challa to a new plateaue he hadn't yet Been. And then there's Coates who took all the positive buzz around BP and killed at potential and hype by adding in racial stereotypes, contrived gender inequality and misogyny, slavery and colonization to a mythos that's whole basis of creation was to not be that and be a what if.

Not the same thing and in Coates mind I'm sure he thinks he did BP some service, and I doubt this was the desired effect

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    X-Men under Coates, I dont think even X-fans deserve that. Though the X-books before hickman came back would have fit his bleak, cynical worldview. Great that he's leaving though, he added nothing and made BP a shell of himself in the name of subverting black male "machismo". Arrgh.
    He doesn't want the full X-Men. Just Storm. Give him storm so he can frak off from BP and take her with him.
    The funny thing too, is that he wants to subvert Black male machismo, even though nowhere in any sort of medium is it Okay for there to be Black male machismo ever. Can't have a strong, confident Black man with agency and motivation. Can't have a Black man be shown as anything other than a noble negro or angry Black man. And when we do see that machismo a bit, and agency, it's immediately followed by calls to replace said male with a black female (MCU black panther) as well as any and all positivity called to be replaced by the same ole tropes of dysfunction. It's beyond old and needs to stop. This fear of a powerful Black man needs to end

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I totally agree. Coates addition of the djalia I thought was a nice method to show hos connection to his past and past bps. it reminds me kind of what we saw in the avatar but if it is destroyed maybe he can somehow restore it.
    Yes, that was such a great creation of Coates. We NEVER saw T'Challa commune with the spirits of his ancestors before him…

(Looks at the multiple mentions of the Panther God Pavilion in Priest's run)

Great Scott I solved the problem by default...

Now that he has free time after being fired from Public Enemy by Chuck D I suggest the next Black Panther writer be FLAVOR FLAV!

He checks all the boxes...

Black... Woke... Conscious... Controversial... Celebrity... Vocal... And he has a big clock on his chest so he will theoretically meet most deadlines!
    Get Hectic!

No Flex, the brothas in the street are willing to work it out.

We will party for our right to fight.

For those that disagree it causes static.

We Got This Covered are claiming that Namor will be the official villain of the sequel. Of course people will take them seriously and the same Twitter accounts and YouTube channels will treat it as fact and claim Wakanda will get flooded for good measure, as if that's the only interaction between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    We Got This Covered are claiming that Namor will be the official villain of the sequel. Of course people will take them seriously and the same Twitter accounts and YouTube channels will treat it as fact and claim Wakanda will get flooded for good measure, as if that's the only interaction between the two.
    I think the rest of the article describing what the conflict is about already contradicts what was officially released. And it doesn't make much sense given their geography.

It doesn't make much sense but people are certain that the earthquake mentioned in Endgame is about Namor

How is it 2020 and people still believe the crap that WGTC puts out?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I dont know why people take them seriously but they do. A few days ago they got Captain Marvel 2 and Wolverine trending by claiming that Henry Cavil was officially cast in CM 2 as Logan and people thought it was real even though I dont even think that CM 2 even has a director or writers.
    Last edited by KingNomarch; 03-03-2020 at 07:47 PM.

I dont know why people take them seriously but they do. A few days ago they got Captain Marvel 2 and Wolverine trending by claiming that Henry Cavil was officially cast in CM 2 as Logan and people thought it was real even though I dont even think that CM 2 even has a director or writers.
    LOL.

If they had any idea and how deep and vicious the MARVEL NDAs are, they wouldn't bother with this nonsense.

nobody knows what's happening in that movie. trust me.

we were making the show while they were shooting the first one and they wouldn't even tell us what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    He doesn't want the full X-Men. Just Storm. Give him storm so he can frak off from BP and take her with him.
    The funny thing too, is that he wants to subvert Black male machismo, even though nowhere in any sort of medium is it Okay for there to be Black male machismo ever. Can't have a strong, confident Black man with agency and motivation. Can't have a Black man be shown as anything other than a noble negro or angry Black man. And when we do see that machismo a bit, and agency, it's immediately followed by calls to replace said male with a black female (MCU black panther) as well as any and all positivity called to be replaced by the same ole tropes of dysfunction. It's beyond old and needs to stop. This fear of a powerful Black man needs to end
    Exactly, Bro Ezyo! It's crazy to think about how long the faithful had to deal with this agenda "agent" writing and contorting the very image that in a way could represent any and all of us. Covertly seeking and plotting to neuter this fictional dicpictation of black male excellence and masculinity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    He's used too many X-villains not to want to do at least a few X stories, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    How is it 2020 and people still believe the crap that WGTC puts out?
    1. It gives the secondary "news aggregate" websites something to post to drive traffic. Think comicbooknews and screenrant.

2. It gives the twitter personalities something to post to drive traffic.

3. Comic book fans can't stop themselves from talking about whatever garbage they put out.

aka... it makes everyone ad revenue.

nobody really takes them seriously, but they bring in money so they consider them a necessary evil, especially during a slow time in the comic book movie schedule.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html