Page 325 of 750 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375425 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Coates permanently dead the "issue" by making it clear it was no longer supported. Under Priest it was ceremonial and had fallen out of practice but legally speaking, if T'Challa wanted to he could still take a Dora as a wife.

Hudlin soft fixed the issue by clearly depicting the Dora as in the same age range as T'Challa but Coates took the final step and put the nail in the coffin. It wasn't necessary, but it was the most definitive statement in the character's publication history that the Dora are not his wives or wives to be under any legal or cultural pretenses anymore.
    But nobody was bringing up the issue of the Doras as wives-in-training except Coates. It was already dead until he decided to bring it up and make it an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But nobody was bringing up the issue of the Doras as wives-in-training except Coates. It was already dead until he decided to bring it up and make it an issue.
    It was brought up in Worlds Apart.

It wasn't solved so much as it became moot, since he had a real wife. But eliminating it entirely on panel once and for all means it's really done.
    Last edited by XPac; 07-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Just because an issue isn't talked about doesn't mean it's not an issue. Prior to Coates, legally speaking T'Challa could take any Dora and marry her, while the Dora themselves could not have relationships with men outside him. Even though he obviously would never do that, it's a good thing to explicitly remove that from the mythos.

I would've preferred it be erased through a throwaway line saying T'Challa had changed those laws off-panel, but Coates decided to dwell on it for 12 issues. It was an aspect of the mythos that could be subject to criticism and outrage so even though he went about it in a crap way, there's nothing wrong with modern comics openly rejecting the previous rules.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Exactly, there is so much that can be explored. There's an entire mythology that can be explored by writers in regards to Wakanda and their relationship to the Gods (I still can't believe Hickman was the only one to broach this topic and in a FF book no less), there's the relationship with the monarch and other Wakandan tribes, there's the people and their relationship with the Gods - but instead we have the same old revolution against their leader trope.

Sure, but is that any different than Spartan boys going through the Agoge or deciding something through a duel didn't Hamilton have a duel and got shot

Yeah, Black Panther as the leader is only in Aaron's book and it's barely mentioned
    I think BP felt like a leader in the second issue of Empyre. He took charge once things went sideways.

As far as the Dora's... again, I'm good with them being adults in both the mcu and comics. Yeah, making them 16 makes it feel different but Its just not worth it.
    Last edited by XPac; 07-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think BP felt like a leader in the second issue of Empyre. He took charge once things went sideways.

As far as the Dora's... again, I'm good with them being adults in both the mcu and comics. Yeah, making them 16 makes it feel different but Its just not worth it.
    I hope he gets more play in the later issues

I hope he gets more play in the later issues
    I think at one point he gets Teddys sword, so I'm thinking he is a bigger role down the line.

And in the least I think what little we've seen of him so far is pretty solid.

I think at one point he gets Teddys sword, so I'm thinking he is a bigger role down the line.

And in the least I think what little we've seen of him so far is pretty solid.
    I'm really surprised we don't get Aaron's Avengers tying into this event with Panther in the lead

I'm really surprised we don't get Aaron's Avengers tying into this event with Panther in the lead
    I guess Aaron was so deep into his own story he didn't want to derail it by tying into someone else's story. The Moon Knight this is pretty cool, so cutting into that so they can go fight plants ironically enough on the moon probably wasn't ideal.

I guess Aaron was so deep into his own story he didn't want to derail it by tying into someone else's story. The Moon Knight this is pretty cool, so cutting into that so they can go fight plants ironically enough on the moon probably wasn't ideal.
    I meant similar to Hickman's X-Men a 3 or 4 issue mini, that would had been so dope

I meant similar to Hickman's X-Men a 3 or 4 issue mini, that would had been so dope
    We know some of the Empyre books ended up being cancelled, including one about Wakanda, Thor and Squadron Supreme. Not sure why they were cancelled, but originally at least there were more Avenger related Empyre books on deck.

We know some of the Empyre books ended up being cancelled, including one about Wakanda, Thor and Squadron Supreme. Not sure why they were cancelled, but originally at least there were more Avenger related Empyre books on deck.
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those

It was brought up in Worlds Apart.

It wasn't solved so much as it became moot, since he had a real wife. But eliminating it entirely on panel once and for all means it's really done.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Just because an issue isn't talked about doesn't mean it's not an issue. Prior to Coates, legally speaking T'Challa could take any Dora and marry her, while the Dora themselves could not have relationships with men outside him. Even though he obviously would never do that, it's a good thing to explicitly remove that from the mythos.

I would've preferred it be erased through a throwaway line saying T'Challa had changed those laws off-panel, but Coates decided to dwell on it for 12 issues. It was an aspect of the mythos that could be subject to criticism and outrage so even though he went about it in a crap way, there's nothing wrong with modern comics openly rejecting the previous rules.
    World's Apart was ages ago. Outside of Coates, who was even thinking about it? No readers were bringing it up.

It's just like a lot of other things that Marvel lets slide without ever bringing it up. A writer comes along years later and decides it's an issue that has long since been resolved.

World's Apart was ages ago. Outside of Coates, who was even thinking about it? No readers were bringing it up.

It's just like a lot of other things that Marvel lets slide without ever bringing it up. A writer comes along years later and decides it's an issue that has long since been resolved.
    It wasn't mentioned often... but the point being it still existed in canon as Worlds Apart proved. It wasn't resolved... it was just ignored.

It's like the thing about Sam being a Pimp back in the day. For decades it was ignored but still technically canon... it wasn't until recent years that it was flat out resolved and done away with. Same thing needed to happen with the Doras. Ignoring the issue does the job, but it's more a band aid. The mythos was better off with the issue once and for all having a nail put in it's coffin.

If Wakanda requires a fight for kingship and the mantle of Black Panther then the Doras should have the right to fight it out for the right to be queen of Wakanda...

Get Hectic!

Still no BP issues in the October solicits, just a Shuri trade and a Hudlin hardcover. He's on two covers, but not with any real focus.

He DOES get an Alex Ross cover on the Avengers issue, as part of the "timeless variants", tho. It hasn't been released (but both Black Bolt & Medusa have…)