Page 388 of 750 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 11243

Was looking at the X of Swords stuff. They're teasing a big role for Storm. I'm wondering if she's the head of swordsmen? Also in one picture right next to the head of the swordsmen is "Death" I wonder if that's T'challa would make a little sense with him being the King of the Dead and Hickman being the one that gave him that title.
    After reading Priest's run on Black Panther, I can truly said I've learned nothing, but I remember everything!
    I'm back from the Djailia!
    Since D9 exists in the MU, T'challa is definitely an Alpha! (Don't Debate me)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Logically I agree with you. There's a reason people stopped using spears. Technology has advanced beyond that quite a bit.

But I do nonetheless think the visual of Wakandans with spears has become a thing. The movie only reinforces that tenfold. At this point you almost can't NOT draw them without spears. I think it's a case of realism taking a small hit to marketing.

It would be nice if they at least weren't just regular wooden spears. Even Proxima was calling Shuri out on that when they fought in TRO. She was basically giving Shuri a WTF for daring to attack her with a wooden stick with metal on it.
    Don't get me wrong, I still think Wakandan soldiers should have spears and other bladed weapons. But when you're getting shots of them walking up to another army, that stuff should be sheathed while the guns are front and center.

The movie pretty much dead that idea permanently with how Wakanda's military looked. It's literally the only MAJOR criticism I have of Coogler's vision and hopefully the sequels correct that. Because the live action stuff sets the tone and if fans aren't seeing guns in Wakanda then there'll be no pressure to correct what has been an ongoing issue in the comics for years. Ultimately it doesn't matter because Wakanda's army will be as effective as the plot needs it to be, but on pure aesthetics I'd like to see things change.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy561 View Post
    Was looking at the X of Swords stuff. They're teasing a big role for Storm. I'm wondering if she's the head of swordsmen? Also in one picture right next to the head of the swordsmen is "Death" I wonder if that's T'challa would make a little sense with him being the King of the Dead and Hickman being the one that gave him that title.
    T'Challa is set to make an appearance in Marauders, the book Storm is currently featured in. The most popular theory I'm seeing is that Wakanda has the sword she needs to enter the fight and she's either stealing or being given it by T'Challa. A lot of people also think that the big villain is some ancestor of Storm, whose bloodline is very strong in magic.

It'll be interesting (morbidly) to see what this means for Wakanda because it's already been heavily hinted Storm is not the first of her bloodline to be worshiped in the kingdom. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the elders or some magicians have some knowledge of what's going on with Krakoa and demons. I wouldn't even be that shocked if Death turns out to be Wakandan, as the only other time we've seen Hickman write about anything related to Anubis was in FF when Storm, Shuri, and Sue fought him when T'Challa became king of the dead.
    Last edited by chief12d; 08-26-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I still think Wakandan soldiers should have spears and other bladed weapons. But when you're getting shots of them walking up to another army, that stuff should be sheathed while the guns are front and center.

The movie pretty much dead that idea permanently with how Wakanda's military looked. It's literally the only MAJOR criticism I have of Coogler's vision and hopefully the sequels correct that. Because the live action stuff sets the tone and if fans aren't seeing guns in Wakanda then there'll be no pressure to correct what has been an ongoing issue in the comics for years. Ultimately it doesn't matter because Wakanda's army will be as effective as the plot needs it to be, but on pure aesthetics I'd like to see things change.
    Spears like swords are a cool visual but should be a weapon of last resort if your hi-tech gun runs out of ammo or stops working.

We see Deadpool carry guns and swords and use both.

Wakanda's military should be dressed out in hi tech garb and use cutting edge tech. You don't protect an entire country with spears alone.

I once took out a whole outlaw biker gang with a vibranium toothpick... If there is a will there is a way just saying!
    Get Hectic!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

shhhh you can't talk about storm here....

but in seriousness. I've seen a couple of theories to tchallas role. as chief pointed out some have speculated he is perhaps the horsrman of death. others have theorized that he dies and she makes a deal with him to bring him back. it will be interesting to see what role wakanda and tchalla play in this event.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-26-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Because instead of a 6 issue event, it would be a 2 issue event.

And heroes gotta be dumb. Just spray weed-killer on the Cotati and be done with it.
    right? I'm sorry but this idea that vegetation be a threat to Earth's heroes seems really silly.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Technically, we still haven't seen the Wakandan military. Just the Border Patrol and Secret Service.

And even so, the spears were (as Killmonger put it) "A handheld sonic cannon powerful enough to stop a tank". Not just pointed sticks.

The one justifying about Wakandans not using guns as often as you might expect is that in many cases neither do the people invading Wakanda.

In the Infinity War movie and in Empyre, the conflict was largely hand to hand on the ground. Which is somewhat the norm in super hero fiction.

I feel like if Hickman's reach was that long in the comics, they would have ended Coates run by now so T'challa is "caught up." That way "real T'challa" is whatever Hickman and Aaron are doing, and not the weird solo book that doesn't seem connected to anything.

Instead they are dragging it out ending it
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Technically, we still haven't seen the Wakandan military. Just the Border Patrol and Secret Service.

And even so, the spears were (as Killmonger put it) "A handheld sonic cannon powerful enough to stop a tank". Not just pointed sticks.

Wakanda's real army seem to be present in End Game. It was much much much bigger than what was present in Infinity War and had a whole slew of air ships with it.

And yeah, MCU spears shot laser beams lol. And their cloaks were a force field.

Hell, MCU Asgard army just used shitty swords.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

I could buy that but it's not the impression millions of moviegoers got or what comic writers are trying to emulate. The final battle at the end of the movie was less a civil war and more a palace coup, so it's possible the rest of the military's got firearms, but it's impossible to say.

And yea while the spears are tricked out I think they should be relegated to heavy arms while vibranium energy blasters become the primary weapon. Better aiming, more intimidating, and more realistic.

I want my Wakandan soldiers armed with guns first, spears second. I know it's comics and logic will always be second to rule of cool but there's no reason Wakandans wouldn't have developed advanced laser arms by now. And to be entirely honest, it looks cooler and more intimidating. They can still be excellent hand to hand fighters but it irks me that people think a highly advanced African civilization like Wakanda would continue using spears almost exclusively. But stuff like gunships, N'Yami ships, and Prowlers should also be present in big fights.
    Frankly I don't see why the average Wakandan soldier isn't decked out like in ewings ultimates. They got a vibranium shield, a combat knife, a gun on their waist, and they look futuristic while keeping to their African roots

Last edited by Ezyo1000; 08-26-2020 at 07:39 PM.

But Coogler addressed that by having the spears also work as Sonic weapons that could down a tank.. they aren't wooden spears. Unfortunately that part got glossed over by the comics

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    In Wakanda you have...Wakanda, the most technological advanced nation on Earth. That's the perfect excuse to thrown in the most batshit crazy, high-tech military and doomsday weapons all at once, especially at an enemy that isn't technological. Where are the tanks? The fighter jets? The battle cruisers? The satellite orbital strikes? The Prowlers? The goddamn Jaegers? Hell, Wakanda can allegedly control their own weather and climate. Where was that?

For f**k sake, Marvel had the perfect opportunity to give us a massive "technology vs nature" battle and instead we got "Yibambe!" and everyone having spears because MCU synergy.

This event is a waste of time, waste of art and wasted potential. I'm not about to make excuses for it.
    Co-signed *