Page 424 of 750 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The first Black Panther movie was about T'Challa's growth as a man and a king. The story isn't complete. So we throw all that away and forget about it? Do a Shuri movie as BP and it changes the entire framing of what the arc of the movie is supposed to be about.

Shuri becoming BP doesn't empower her because she was already a strong, powerful character with a brilliant mind who should continue to develop as that character.
    The ship has sailed, but I wish Shuri lived from the snap

Id be curious if she harbors any guilt from not getting the stone out of Vision in time.

I mean, I doubt she has "failed" very often at anything scientific through her life.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I've said this before. If they were grooming Shuri to take over then the best time to do it organically would of been in EG. Where she doesn't get snapped. That would give her 5 years ruling, experience under her belt, and a chance for her to go her own way. That didn't happen. Because that wasn't the intention. St this point it would be a retcon and a big one because she is still young and doesn't have the mindset to rule.

Just because she is Royal doesn't mean she is for to rule and probably other tribes would take over as they are better warriors. Like MOS said she is a labrat and she is good at it and Coogler was sure to carve a space for her out of T'Challas shadow.

So again, making Shuri BP requires a hefty retcon that would be hamfisted
    Whether or not she does rule, the fact that she is Royal and next in line should mean that she's prepared to rule. That's the issue here. T'Challa already died once (twice if you count Infinity War), so it would be stupid and negligent not to prepare her for the job.

Again, my point is completely indepenent of her ever becoming BP... even if that's not Cooglers plan the characters in the story shouldn't know that. They should prepare the next person in line for the role in the event that something happens (like what happened in the first movie). It's fine that she's a lab rat and all, but they should have certain obligations to Wakanda people that they need to meet.

I'm surprised you of all people are taking this stance... you constantly argue that marvel should show the concept of the Wakandan monarchy is a good light, yet you defend the notion that the Royal family aren't and shouldn't be properly preparing members of the royal family for the job of ruling their nation. If they're not going to do that then they might as well start having elections, because the system obviously won't work if he royal family doesn't do it's job to prepare their heirs for the job.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-03-2020 at 05:26 AM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...ng-about-light

There was a strong interest after Black Panther to do a branding opportunity. Somebody came to us and said, "Do you want to have equity in a liquor company like George Clooney and a lot of the others have done?" He said, "I can’t, because how can I show young Black kids and kids of color that they can be superheroes, [then do this]?"
    Bast have mercy, this isn't far.

Dude realized how important he was and how important T'challa was

(and some of you dudes wanna push tchalla out)

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Yeah, I posted that link earlier.

He understood how important and iconic this character would be and he also understood that he needed not only his own legacy but that of T'Challa as well.

That's something special

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That makes no sense.
    Black Panther is still very important. His influence is still felt and honoured and appreciated (even more so now with Chadwick's passing) and nobody is pushing any body out. Or changing the story or shytting on the legacy or some such nonsense. Whoever they choose going forward male or female, I am sure they will ensure the Black Panther legacy and influence as portrayed by Chadwick Boseman will carry on.
    And...
    The movie itself showed a very present and strong and independent and powerful female presence throughout so...clearly none of what you are assuming will happen.The "message" is not lost if a woman takes up the mantle.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That makes no sense.
    Black Panther is still very important. His influence is still felt and honoured and appreciated (even more so now with Chadwick's passing) and nobody is pushing any body out. Or changing the story or shytting on the legacy or some such nonsense. Whoever they choose going forward male or female, I am sure they will ensure the Black Panther legacy and influence as portrayed by Chadwick Boseman will carry on.
    And...
    The movie itself showed a very present and strong and independent and powerful female presence throughout so...clearly none of what you are assuming will happen.The "message" is not lost if a woman takes up the mantle.
    I think people on both sides of it are sort of going a bit overboard on all of this.

Recasting the T'Challa character doesn't in anyway disrespect Boseman, nor does giving the mantle to a woman. But because so many view it from either one harsh extreme to another, Cooglers decision whatever that may be will be unecessarily crapped on. It's unfortunate.

Coogler will do whatever he does, and it'll be fine. Coogler will tell whatever story he feels comformable telling, and the movie will likely do very very well regardless of the complaining. The legacy of the Boseman and the legacy of the franchise will continue on regardless of whether it's a brand new actor or Letitia under the habit.

That makes no sense.
    And...
    Debatable bro, "the message " in part could be somewhat co-opted by swapping a black woman in for a black man. A good job was done by carving out, and defining who/what was Shuri in the movie. Let that process continue organically to its end. Why not let T'Challa continue on in his path as Black Panther. Seeing a black man with agency has a different feel and meaning especially when we look at current culture. We have a Shuri still, we have Nakia, and Okoye. We will have Monica and a Storm. We take away T'Challa, and who else will be the role or image that young and old black males can look to?

The "message" is not lost if a woman takes up the mantle.
    For black boys it would.

Without T'challa, they will have, let me check my MCU movie notes real quick....

ummm

hmmm

I guess Blade in 2038 lol? I think one of the Eternals is black.

Even in the own BP franchise, all you have left is M'baku. W'kabi is a traitor, Killmonger is evil and dead. Zuri is dead. The rest of the cast is black female (Okoye, Nakia, Shuri, Ramonda)

T'challa got one movie and then 15 minutes of screen time spread out between three Avengers films. His story is no where near done.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Debatable bro, "the message " in part could be somewhat co-opted by swapping a black woman in for a black man. A good job was done by carving out, and defining who/what was Shuri in the movie. Let that process continue organically to its end. Why not let T'Challa continue on in his path as Black Panther. Seeing a black man with agency has a different feel and meaning especially when we look at current culture. We have a Shuri still, we have Nakia, and Okoye. We will have Monica and a Storm. We take away T'Challa, and who else will be the role or image that young and old black males can look to?
    For the record I personally don't care whether or not a male or female heads the franchise going foreward, BUT from the perspective of people looking at imagery and role models...

Shuri might literally be the only black female to ever headline an MCU movie or TV show. Whereas we are guranteed having Falcon and Blade. We also had Luke Cage on Net Flixs. Objectively speaking, for people who want to see a female lead over a supporting character, this might literally be their only shot. Literally. While several black male character have already done it, and are already scheduled to do it.

You can of course argue that this alone isn't enough reason for Shuri to take the habit and I 100% agree with that. But at the same time, if you're not in the position I'm in where you aren't losing sleep over that fact, then Shuri becoming the next BP is probably something worth championing because again it might be their only shot. Nakia and Okoye are awesome... but let's be real, they're not getting their own movie. Misty Knight was cool... but she's a side kick. Storm MAYBE has a chance, but odds are she'll only be used in a team setting (or potentially as a love interest for T'Challa). It's not a contest between the genders, but if it were the woman would be getting their butts kicked to the guys.

So while young black males have Blade and Falcon and the BP movies Cage shows we've had so far, as far as headliners the 50/50 chance of Shuri becoming BP is pretty much all they've got for the people looking for female headliners. At least until DC decides to maybe give us Cat Woman 2.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-03-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    It's easy to say that when Thor, Cap and Iron Man have been in about 8 movies each over the course of 10 years. We've only just really been introduced to T'Challa and now its time for a drastic departure for the sake of doing something different? This sort of mental gymnastics has a pattern when it comes to black people; yes I'm pulling out andcwaving the race card. Youre interested in the stories? Great, we all are but guess what, T'Challa is the story. Everything concerning Black Panther revolves around him and as you can see, T'Challa is not dead!
    All of this! Its not really that complex to speak the truth!

Mighty Member

For black boys it would.

Without T'challa, they will have, let me check my MCU movie notes real quick....

ummm

hmmm

Even in the own BP franchise, all you have left is M'baku. W'kabi is a traitor, Killmonger is evil and dead. Zuri is dead. The rest of the cast is black female (Okoye, Nakia, Shuri, Ramonda)

T'challa got one movie and then 15 minutes of screen time spread out between three Avengers films. His story is no where near done.
    In all of science fiction there is a dearth of black male protagonists. One reason T'Challa is so important culturally. I would not like that to disappear from the big screen. I believe sci fi inspires people to create what may seem impossiy. Flip phones, touch screens, geo synchondrosis sattelites and many more rhings we take for granted today first appeared in sci fi and inspired scientists amd engineers to try and to ultimately create them. T'Challa may inspire the next Priests or Stellfreezes to become point men for him in the offices of Marvel. He is nearly that unique as a character.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

For black boys it would.

ummm

hmmm

Or....Coogler does what he does best...and the image and iconography and the message lives on and little Black Boys (and little Black girls... because not only boys and men went to see the film or were moved by it) still have their hero.
    Nothing positive of the first movie's impact is suddenly lost or erradicated. Absolutely Nothing.
    Also... consider the positive impact and message of having a female lead. That little Black Boys...and little Black girls see that our women are strong, and capable, and powerful, and to be honoured and revered, and are just as important and necessary to uphold our pride and legacy. Isn't that also a message worth exploring, worth sending?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Let them finish T'Challa's story first before going into Shuri.

It started with T'Challa, let it end with him.

T'Challa is a character that has been in the comics for 54 years and has other story arcs that are yet to be explored compared to Shuri who has only been around for 15 years where her reign even as Black Panther was short-lived. It's funny we didn't get the same suggestion that Superman should be replaced by Supergirl or letting Batgirl replace Batman but for BP, it has always been the case of replacing T'challa even after the first BP movie and because to Chafwick's's death (bless his soul), some of y'all have been aggressive with Shuri taking his place. I hate to say this but this seems like a hidden agenda to me.
    Last edited by Dboi654; 09-03-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Also... consider the positive impact and message of having a female lead. That little Black Boys...and little Black girls see that our women are strong, and capable, and powerful, and to be honoured and revered, and are just as important and necessary to uphold our pride and legacy. Isn't that also a message worth exploring, worth sending?
    100%. Well, 90% because you are puttin gyour adult brains in kids. Black boys aren't gonna dress as a female black panther on halloween or buy girl toys. I have two boys. The only "girl" toy in the house is Skye from Paw Patrol and the girl from PJ mask. They ain't buying girl super hero toys. They dont play with girl super heroes on Lego Marvel on PS4. That just isn't what kids do.

But yes... black female leads are really important. So... go push for those black female lead franchises. Don't cannibalize the only black male one. Y'all should be screaming for Spectrum, screaming for Storm, screaming for Vixen, Bumble Bee, Misty Knight. Put that energy towards minority females.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Let them finish T'Challa's story first before going into Shuri.

It started with T'Challa, let it end with him.

T'Challa is a character that has been in the comics for 54 years and has other story arcs that are yet to be explored compared to Shuri who has only been around for 15 years where her reign even as Black Panther was short-lived. It's funny we didn't get the same suggestion that Superman should be replaced by Supergirl or letting Batgirl replace Batman but for BP, it has always been the case of replacing T'challa even after the first BP movie and because to Chafwick's's death (bless his soul), Y'all have been aggressive with Shuri taking his place. I hate to say this but this seems like a hidden agenda to me.
    There's definately an agenda there, and isn't not even hidden. People on twitter or whatever are wearing it on their sleeve.

Certain people want to push for a black female lead in a movie. There hasn't been any, and realistically apart from Shuri there might not be any. This might be the only shot for a black female lead in a marvel tv show or movie. So they do what people pushing social agenda's do... they try and make noise. Realistically speaking it won't make any sort of difference whatsoever because the BP movie is likely to make a ton of money regardless of whether people are complaining about it or not... but they're still going to try. That's how social media works.