Page 437 of 750 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487537 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 11243

So will that TV show they're making. Seriously, she could very well be on the road to becoming the third or fourth most well known teen superhero - after Robin, Spider-Man and maybe Shazam (and I wouldn't have considered him if he hadn't had a movie recently).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Man

I just realized how much Coates sexualized the Doras in the first damn issue just to start dropping hints on his ****

That is how they were dressed when they turned their back on t'challa. They were no tin lingerie lol.

Man, this dude.... ugh
    I’m not complaining lol. The Dora are so supposed to be attractive, there’s nothing wrong with them showing a little skin. I mean if we really wanna get into it I’d prefer if the Dora had natural hair too but at the end of the day they should just reflect the Hudlin/MCU design. Either way as long as they look cool and don’t embarrass T’Challa it’s not a big deal.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-05-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Ms Marvel being a forced playable character in the avengers game is a GOD level push. That is HUGE.

That is going ot introduce the character to so many people.
    And despite some of the blow back she got from the usual suspects you could tell there was effort put into her gameplay. She’s consistently rated one of the best characters to play as and is being made central to the story. Even if you dislike the character you can’t exactly say she was poorly done. So imagine how people who don’t come in with those biases are going to respond to her. Marvel has done an amazing job with her and Miles these last few years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I think people really don't understand what a "push" means, if they think spin-off minis are enough.

The problem is that comics themselves are a very insular market. Simply by the way they are sold, the direct market is almost impenetrable to the casual reader. Say you were an eager young Panther acolyte in February 2018 who just watched the movie. You know he came from the comics, so you jump on Google and find your local comics store, a hole-in-the-wall place in a ratty shopping plaza.
    Most folks are NOT going to a comic book store-they are head to amazon or Barnes & Nobles for those Panther trades.
    One thing Marvel does is toss out a trade that is kid friendly or tries to be kid friendly before those films come out. At a decent price. They are tossing out stuff for that casual reader.
    Moon Girl got a new trade with her first 2 volumes in it for the Barnes and Nobles market.
    Miles has a new one from his first series. Falcon had a trade too before Winter Solider. Monica got one too but it was direct market only.

Here are books Marvel tossed out for Panther
    Before the movie came out
    Black Panther Little Golden Book (Marvel: Black Panther)
    World of Reading: Black Panther: This is Black Panther (Level 1): Level 1
    Black Panther: The Battle for Wakanda (A Mighty Marvel Chapter Book)

Black Panther The Young Prince

Black Panther: black panther movie fans notebook journal gift
    Black Panther a Nation Under Our Feet 1-12 Library editions
    White Wolf (Shuri: a Black Panther Adventure) Library editions
    Shuri a Black Panther Adventure Set Library editions
    Chadwick Boseman: Forever Our King 1976-2020
    Who Is the Black Panther?: A Novel of the Marvel Universe

Marvel Masterworks: The Black Panther Vol. 3 HC
    Black Panther Epic Collection: Revenge of the Black Panther
    Shuri: A Black Panther Novel #1
    The Vanished (Shuri: A Black Panther Novel #2) (2)
    Black Panther Epic Collection: Panther's Prey
    Marvel Black Panther Wakanda Forever!
    Black Panther: My Mighty Marvel First Book (A Mighty Marvel First Book)

Someone who wants Black Panther would not have to set foot in a comic book store. This is NOT counting Marvel trades or all the Boseman stuff on Amazon.

Shuri is being marketed as herself. She'll have 6 books between now and next year.

I think people really don't understand what a "push" means, if they think spin-off minis are enough.

The problem is that comics themselves are a very insular market. Simply by the way they are sold, the direct market is almost impenetrable to the casual reader. Say you were an eager young Panther acolyte in February 2018 who just watched the movie. You know he came from the comics, so you jump on Google and find your local comics store, a hole-in-the-wall place in a ratty shopping plaza.

Eyes wide, you ask for the Black Panther comic. You're lucky... there's one copy left. The cover says it's issue #170, part 5 of a story. The owner doesn't have the other 4, but can order it for you. You open the comic... and read this:

Your mom, looking over your shoulder, shakes her head at the "round and lush" bit. She asks the store owner if there's something a bit less "mature". He only has the first trade though... talked about how great it sold and the awards the writer has won. Your mom has actually heard of him (from The View) and he passes it to her. And this is the first page you both see:

You're completely lost. What happened? Why is Okoye mad at him? Where's the beginning of the story?

The store owner talks about Hickman and Time Runs Out and Secret Wars and explains you have to read all these older stories (only a few of which are in the store) to understand what is going on. Not that it actually matters, because the actual plot doesn't depend on any of this.

Mind spinning, you change your mind and decide to stick with reading manga.

Seriously, though: If you want to push a character, you step OUTSIDE of the comics. For most of my childhood, that was toys & animated cartoons, keeping the character in front of kids' eyeballs. Nowadays, video games are the biggest draw.

If you look at the history of Marvel animation, One franchises have gotten the biggest push: Spider-Man. Everyone else either hasn't had a series since the 60's (Cap, Thor) or only a handful. There have been NINE Spider-Man cartoons, with a new one expected next year!

So sorry, Panther never got a push. And now, it's probably too late.
    Mini's aren't enough... they're just the start. The pages of a comic book IP are obviously where it all begins for comic book heroes.

From there, they potentially become available online and in trade form at book stores and amazon. But perhaps more importantly it generates concepts and content which can potentially show up in cartoons, movies, novels, and video games. There's far more to comic book super heroes than just the comics... but that's where it starts. It's the source material from where everything else flows from.

If you compare the available BP content to say Spider-Man (or Batman or Superman), yes it's a bit underwhelming. But if you compare it to almost any other hero, it's actually pretty impressive considering the relatively short amount of time the character has gotten spotlight. You're comparing him to characters who have had a head start spanning decades.

We've got an on-going monthly, and we've got movies. That by itself propells the BP franchise ahead of all but MAYBE a dozen or so super heroes in the entire industry.They can, will and should do more... but I don't think that takes away from what it has already accomplished so far in a relatively short amount of time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea Marvel is going really strong on young female representation. Like others have said, a lot of it is probably long term planning. Women are primed to be the primary economic drivers in a lot of households and just in general in the not so distant future. Providing content that will appeal and grow with them is just good business. Same goes for DC. Kinda crazy that a character like Blue Beetle hasn’t gotten the god tier push yet, but they seem to be putting all their Hispanic representation into Jessica Cruz, a Hispanic woman from a far more popular franchise.
    You win over MOMMA or GRANNY-you got the money.

But it does suck there hasn’t been more of an effort to provide more male characters like Miles and Nova.
    And here is the thing-that market is WIDE OPEN for whoever wants it.

Folks who work in the industry will tell you that in a moment.

Especially when it comes to black males. Miles owns it for now but wait till Static shows up in 2021. I am shock Aqualad is not doing higher on Amazon. It was a good book.

I lurk around books way too much and I think some folks have gotten that hint. I am seeing way more black male (not thug and jock) lead books with white writers. Doing all the stuff a black writer gets told by editors black boys can't do.
    Legends of Greemulax is about a black boy turning into a troll and his quest to stop it.
    Dream within a Dream white girl has an adventure while falling for a black boy. Both holding hands on the cover.

Coin Slot Chronicles just finished by Rashad Jennings. A book of 4 that I never saw in stores.

I believe that you need to keep Panther relevant in the comics. You need something to help build trades and give ideas for any future movie, TV shows etc. I also agree that you also need other formats such as books, novels swag and more to give exposure to BP and his supporting cast. You need to take both approaches for the simple fact that while movies give more exposure, they only come out every few years or so. Comics, whether floppies or digital are those monthly showcases that continue to keep characters exposed.

Characters that are used across every medium get the broadest exposure. We need BP in books, comics, on toy shelves in apparel, jewelry movies etc.

Ultimate Member

This is one of the reasons a digital subscription service makes the most sense for comics.

Coates really was such a huge mistake for a character that had its chance to explode. Following SW, it really should have been a 100% self contained story with Wakanda nad BP in all its glory. But, marvel comics chose short term sales like always. What can you do?

Yep.

My oldest favorite character is Spider-Man by far. (he is 8)

Do you know how many spider-man movies he's seen? Zero, he hates movies. He likes them because he has a cool name, cool powers, cool costume. That was the first thing. Then it was cool toys. Then it was some cartoons. then it was me playing PS4 Spider-Man. So now he has spider-man back packs, spider man lunch box, spider man tshirts. He was spider-man one halloween.

Youngest favorite... Batman (he is 5).

Movies seen? zero. Cartoons seen... some youtube clips. But he has a cool name and a cool costume and he thinks he has powers (ooops). He has really really cool toys. So now he has a batman backpack and a batman lunch box and batman face mask and batman water bottle.

Black Panther needs to be in everyones face constantly as young as possible.

Needs to be in every game imeediately. Not DLC **** either. Should be in the commercials for games constantly just like rest of the Avengers cast. I've been watching the NBA playoffs and theyve been advertising that damn game constantly. That is the perfect way to push a character over and over and ove and over ot people. that MvC had Carol in the commericials... BP was a DLC later. Ultimate Alliance was the same thing.

DLC are fine for gamers but **** for casuals.
    Exactly, those who are saying BP got pushed are being disingenuous. Carol. Got a a push. T'Challa didn't, he got shackled by a neophyte and his cabal who burned all the good will and exposure to tell ishtty agenda riddled stories that were so stupid and not even close to what Wakanda represents, that heavy retcons had to take place to make sense of it, and even then it still didn't work. And worst of all they gave zero ishts about what they were doing or how it negatively impacted black folks because their agenda was more important.

And the one positive thing we had was the BP quest which I believe also got cut short. Its all Just frustrating the lack of effort being out into one of their biggest ips and the biggest solo ip

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’m not complaining lol. The Dora are so supposed to be attractive, there’s nothing wrong with them showing a little skin. I mean if we really wanna get into it I’d prefer if the Dora had natural hair too but at the end of the day they should just reflect the Hudlin/MCU design. Either way as long as they look cool and don’t embarrass T’Challa it’s not a big deal.
    It's more so, what MOS said though, COATES hyper sexualized them after all his bullisht about having issues with the Dora's, because Hickman certainly didn't.

Here's Hudlins DM

So sexualized.. dudes a freaking joke

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It's more so, what MOS said though, COATES hyper sexualized them after all his bullisht about having issues with the Dora's, because Hickman certainly didn't.

Here's Hudlins DM

So sexualized.. dudes a freaking joke
    Even in the Hickman picture above, they're still standing around in one piece bikini's... they just happen to be wearing capes over the bikinis.

Artists having female characters show a lot of skin pretty much goes across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Mini's aren't enough... they're just the start. The pages of a comic book IP are obviously where it all begins for comic book heroes.

From there, they potentially become available online and in trade form at book stores and amazon. But perhaps more importantly it generates concepts and content which can potentially show up in cartoons, movies, novels, and video games. There's far more to comic book super heroes than just the comics... but that's where it starts. It's the source material from where everything else flows from.

If you compare the available BP content to say Spider-Man (or Batman or Superman), yes it's a bit underwhelming. But if you compare it to almost any other hero, it's actually pretty impressive considering the relatively short amount of time the character has gotten spotlight. You're comparing him to characters who have had a head start spanning decades.

We've got an on-going monthly, and we've got movies. That by itself propells the BP franchise ahead of all but MAYBE a dozen or so super heroes in the entire industry.They can, will and should do more... but I don't think that takes away from what it has already accomplished so far in a relatively short amount of time.
    You know why we are comparing him to those characters? Its because he has been around for half a century.. now if he was introduced when Priest started writing him.. then it would be a different story. But that's not the case hence the comparison

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here are books Marvel tossed out for Panther
    Before the movie came out
    Black Panther Little Golden Book (Marvel: Black Panther)
    World of Reading: Black Panther: This is Black Panther (Level 1): Level 1
    Black Panther: The Battle for Wakanda (A Mighty Marvel Chapter Book)
    And not a single one of those is going to make the character a viable franchise, because there's no repeat business. Those books will get read once, maybe drooled on a bit (in the case of the first one) and then left to gather dust.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You mean the monthly that hasn't been published since February, when pretty much EVERY ongoing book has started back up? The one that Marvel has announced won't be back until next year sometime? Meanwhile, the character is supposed to be LEADING the bloody Avengers, and while he gets plenty of variant covers, there's nothing in the actual _stories_ to make a fan of him interested.

Thrill as the Panther gets stabbed in the chest!
    Wonder as he ends up in massive chains, getting beaten bloodyby guys in white robes!
    Be amazed at how people SAY he's a dangerous threat, but ends up being a second-rate Wolverine!

:smh:

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Exactly, those who are saying BP got pushed are being disingenuous. Carol. Got a a push. T'Challa didn't, he got shackled by a neophyte and his cabal who burned all the good will and exposure to tell ishtty agenda riddled stories that were so stupid and not even close to what Wakanda represents, that heavy retcons had to take place to make sense of it, and even then it still didn't work. And worst of all they gave zero ishts about what they were doing or how it negatively impacted black folks because their agenda was more important.

And the one positive thing we had was the BP quest which I believe also got cut short. Its all Just frustrating the lack of effort being out into one of their biggest ips and the biggest solo ip
    Coates wasn't interested in trying to build up BP. He was more concerned about showing his own ideology through the peripheral characters and elevating their status. He continues that with these stealth minis that were little more than ads for characters other than BP.

He's the person who is supposed to be championing BP and getting him that spotlight. It was dreck. Funny, he's starting to do the same thing in Captain America. Steve is starting to take a backseat to the supporting characters. spoilers:
    There's a whole secret club of women heroes that no one ever knew about. Hell, Sharon Carter is now the Iron Patriot.
    end of spoilers

300K for issue #1 seems like 300K years ago.

And not a single one of those is going to make the character a viable franchise, because there's no repeat business. Those books will get read once, maybe drooled on a bit (in the case of the first one) and then left to gather dust.

You mean the monthly that hasn't been published since February, when pretty much EVERY ongoing book has started back up? The one that Marvel has announced won't be back until next year sometime? Meanwhile, the character is supposed to be LEADING the bloody Avengers, and while he gets plenty of variant covers, there's nothing in the actual _stories_ to make a fan of him interested.

Thrill as the Panther gets stabbed in the chest!
    Wonder as he ends up in massive chains, getting beaten bloodyby guys in white robes!
    Be amazed at how people SAY he's a dangerous threat, but ends up being a second-rate Wolverine!

:smh:
    We can agree to disagree on Aarons BP. I'd say it's pretty descent. He's getting a lot of tech feats, though most are one shots. And I think pretty much all the Avengers world building ... the entire status quo from the head quarters to the support team with the AoW, are all built around Black Panther. He's hasn't been the primary focus of a lot of the stories, but he's looked pretty good overall. And he does get his moments. It's not Priest level good... but overall I think he writes a pretty good BP.