Page 742 of 750 FirstFirst ... 242642692732738739740741742743744745746 ... LastLast
Results 11,116 to 11,130 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Honestly, I blame Hudlin. As I've said in the past, comics writers just _love_ breaking streaks. Pre-Hudlin, Wakanda was one country out of many. Higher-tech than most, more isolationist than many, but not unbeatable.

As soon as he claimed they'd never been conquered,other writers started thinking of ways to show how badass their villains are by showing that "they even beat Wakanda!"

After a while, it became less of a running gag (the geographical equivalent of the "Worf Effect") and more of an informed attribute. We're _told_ Wakanda is insanely well-defended, but nobody actually ever _shows_ it, because that would eliminate the conflict from their cliche-ridden stories.

It's for this reason, more than any other, that I find myself disenchanted with so-called "epic" storylines like Empyre or King In Black. I'd much rather see something smaller-scale, but more rooted in character. Yet Another Cosmic Menace™ just doesn't cut it.
    I think if he put it as never been colonized and repelled would be colonizers through their warrior culture a d isolationism would work to.

But I also don't fault him.too much. I do like Priest having T'Challas genius feat by advancing Wakanda but it also makes sense that they would always be advanced too. I'm conflicted. And I would like a mixture of both

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think if he put it as never been colonized and repelled would be colonizers through their warrior culture a d isolationism would work to.

But I also don't fault him.too much. I do like Priest having T'Challas genius feat by advancing Wakanda but it also makes sense that they would always be advanced too. I'm conflicted. And I would like a mixture of both
    I think having T’Challa be the one who specifically gets their manned space program up and running is a good compromise (they can still have been doing stuff like satellites and unmanned probes). It fits with his drive to get Wakanda to engage more with the outside world imo.

on that i prefer Hudlin's version.

If we assume that it was only T'Challa's genius that elevated Wakanda and pushed it onto the world stage, then what happens in the Coates run is the only logical fallout. If we stick with that, everything that went wrong because of rushing and pushing Wakandan culture too far and too fast rests squarely on T'challa's shoulders and his alone.

I can't go there.

Also, heroes without flaws are boring. Just like heroes who are made of flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Folks, it's official. i will not be taking over BP after King in Black. Dunno who the new team is but I'm not on it. So, if this is my swan song, I'm going out gangster.

Happy Holidays.
    F***

Why cant they let this character be great

For me Hudlin’s version held onto the concept of ‘The uninterrupted progression of black excellence’. That kept me interested in the title.

If we assume that it was only T'Challa's genius that elevated Wakanda and pushed it onto the world stage, then what happens in the Coates run is the only logical fallout. If we stick with that, everything that went wrong because of rushing and pushing Wakandan culture too far and too fast rests squarely on T'challa's shoulders and his alone.

I can't go there.

Yeah I agree with that. I always thought that maybe T'Challas of feat besides opening Wakanda would be to advance Wakanda further than any other BP, both technologically, culturally, and globally

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Honestly, I blame Hudlin. As I've said in the past, comics writers just _love_ breaking streaks. Pre-Hudlin, Wakanda was one country out of many. Higher-tech than most, more isolationist than many, but not unbeatable.

As soon as he claimed they'd never been conquered,other writers started thinking of ways to show how badass their villains are by showing that "they even beat Wakanda!"

After a while, it became less of a running gag (the geographical equivalent of the "Worf Effect") and more of an informed attribute. We're _told_ Wakanda is insanely well-defended, but nobody actually ever _shows_ it, because that would eliminate the conflict from their cliche-ridden stories.

It's for this reason, more than any other, that I find myself disenchanted with so-called "epic" storylines like Empyre or King In Black. I'd much rather see something smaller-scale, but more rooted in character. Yet Another Cosmic Menace™ just doesn't cut it.
    I don't have a problem with it. I think saying that Wakanda has been conquered opens up a bigger can of worms. Who, when and how? Under what ruler? How did Wakandan repel the invaders?

Wakanda needs to remain unique among the various MU realms.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gessela View Post
    For me Hudlin’s version held onto the concept of ‘The uninterrupted progression of black excellence’. That kept me interested in the title.
    Same for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. I think saying that Wakanda has been conquered opens up a bigger can of worms. Who, when and how? Under what ruler? How did Wakandan repel the invaders?

Wakanda needs to remain unique among the various MU realms.
    Yes, indeed.

Mighty Member

Thats a HARD NO from me!!!

Having Tchalla being the only reason for Wakandan Advancement instantly robs of its historical technological height over the rest of world.

U are basically saying Wakanda was nothing but a nation of Savage warriors until Tchalla went to the U.S who taught him education which he brought to Wakanda .....basically making the U S the reason for Wakanda's tech Advancement.

Why can't Wakanda been a reknown kingdom that has had super tech ....just have Tchalla make his creations and additions???

What is sooo wrong with that?!?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gessela View Post
    Here, here!!!!

Co-signed with a quickness!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think having T’Challa be the one who specifically gets their manned space program up and running is a good compromise (they can still have been doing stuff like satellites and unmanned probes). It fits with his drive to get Wakanda to engage more with the outside world imo.
    Nah... Better Wakanda already had a space program then have Tchalla bring in Portal tech.

Mighty Member

I can't go there.

Agreed and co-signed!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    Well since it's confirmed that Redjack won't be taking over I'd be interested in John Ridley getting a shot assuming he'd be interested. His Other History of DC book is incredible so far.
    Eeeeeh I dunno about that.

Why not let him do a BP mini first to see where his head is at regarding BP.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea my big fear is Marvel picks one of Coates’ friends to pick up where he left off. I hope this overly political, non-T’Challa centric storytelling, Shakespearean dialogue stuff can die with this run and we can revert back to a meaningful status quo. From some rumors I’ve heard, Marvel does want to do a soft reset of the BP franchise, but I hope it’s spearheaded by a Saladin or Aaron and not an Ayala or Okorafor. David Walker is another really interesting voice as well, he seems to have a knack for his work easily translating to other mediums, so we can expect big stories from him. A real shot in the dark would be Narcisse. But I’m 60% sure we’ll be getting someone like an Ayala, which will condemn T’Challa to another half decade of mediocrity as her and writers like her clearly dislike T’Challa and have other goals for the BP franchise.
    Well said!!