Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, he used them to release the absorbed energy that he had stored. Early on he manifested them differently than he does now. At one time he fired blasts from his eyes I think.
    In those first issues by Portacio, he would return the energy in the same nature it came in. There was a mutant with eyebeams that blasted him, so he eyeblasted back. Storm hit him with lightning, he shot off lightning too. Overtime they made him more generally metabolize various engines into his own energy signature blasts(and sometimes physical strength).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

I know Cyclops and Magik were making plans if thingswent wrong but shouldn't all the Captains be putting a plan together? Bishop needs to be in on this.
    Ever since Magik returned in New Mutants Vol 3, she's slowly transformed into becoming Cyclops' right hand woman. He has a lot of trust in her and he's barely interacted with Bishop since torturing him when he went crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Ever since Magik returned in New Mutants Vol 3, she's slowly transformed into becoming Cyclops' right hand woman. He has a lot of trust in her and he's barely interacted with Bishop since torturing him when he went crazy.
    Like another poster said, it's a paper title. The Captains should have gathered from the very beginning to plan a strategy.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Carlos Pecheco' stunning art. 90's coolness ahead. (The stuff that wasn't embarrasing and there was enough of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I especially loved the way Alphona drew it during that one issue of UXF where they were in his dreamscape. But I also just really loved Alphona’s Bish. Period.

With his new roles as Captain and Red Bishop for Kate I wonder if we’ll get some new costumes for him. Especially as the RB because Emma is around with Jumbo Carnation making looks for folks. I haven’t really hated a lot of his outfits but this one stuck out to me a lot because, like you said, it felt so different and fresh. I’m almost upset that he missed out on X-Men to get a Asrar design.
    Looking back at this pic, Bishop resembles Gateway. Bishop is supposed to be his descendant but they really haven't done too much with it that i know of.

How accurate is Bishop's look for Australian Aboriginals?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kinda hard to tell I would say. He's mixed if I'm not mistaken.

Incredible Member

If I recall, he mistook M (but the M-Twins version) for looking just like his mother in an early Generation X issue where he tried to stop the future by attempting to kill Emplate. So, if the idea is that the real M is his grandmother, then he's part Algerian.

If I recall, he mistook M (but the M-Twins version) for looking just like his mother in an early Generation X issue where he tried to stop the future by attempting to kill Emplate. So, if the idea is that the real M is his grandmother, then he's part Algerian.
    That would be true. I don't know why they leave things up in the air at this point. The suspense around the mystery has been long gone.

Bishop = racially mixed and/or part Algerian never been officially written AFAIK, but the Monet/Synch connection was created back then to imply they could possibly be related to him somehow. That ended up not being the case/never followed up (if anything, Synch was killed).

Chris Claremont certainly didn't have that idea, either -- in 2001's X-TREME X-MEN #4 he states that both sides of Bishop's family are from Australia and in the X-MEN: The End Miniseries, Bishop's daughter Aliyah is named after his grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The current canon is that both his parents are Australian aboriginals, and they escaped Australia just before the continent was nuked. They landed in America and were put into detention centers/concentration camps, where Bishop and Shard grew up, to later become XSE officers. The earlier allusions to M or even Storm being his relatives have been discarded.

As for what Aboriginals look like, that varies widely. I don't think the 90's artists were ever intending to make him Aboriginal, he was more generally African-American. Now, from what I understand, Claremont may have had a hand in Bishop's original development, but as he debuted in the arc immediately after Claremont's departure from Uncanny, the other creators might have just decided on a different route for him, and Claremont didn't make his take canon until the early 00's in X-treme.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Carlos Pecheco' stunning art. 90's coolness ahead. (The stuff that wasn't embarrasing and there was enough of it).

Oh, Yes

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNoh View Post
    Bishop = racially mixed and/or part Algerian never been officially written AFAIK, but the Monet/Synch connection was created back then to imply they could possibly be related to him somehow. That ended up not being the case/never followed up (if anything, Synch was killed).

Chris Claremont certainly didn't have that idea, either -- in 2001's X-TREME X-MEN #4 he states that both sides of Bishop's family are from Australia and in the X-MEN: The End Miniseries, Bishop's daughter Aliyah is named after his grandmother.
    You have two grandmothers, maybe more with adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The current canon is that both his parents are Australian aboriginals, and they escaped Australia just before the continent was nuked. They landed in America and were put into detention centers/concentration camps, where Bishop and Shard grew up, to later become XSE officers. The earlier allusions to M or even Storm being his relatives have been discarded.

As for what Aboriginals look like, that varies widely. I don't think the 90's artists were ever intending to make him Aboriginal, he was more generally African-American. Now, from what I understand, Claremont may have had a hand in Bishop's original development, but as he debuted in the arc immediately after Claremont's departure from Uncanny, the other creators might have just decided on a different route for him, and Claremont didn't make his take canon until the early 00's in X-treme.
    I'm pretty sure most of the miniseries with the nuking is non-canon. But even if we do treat it as canon, his grandmother still exists in that miniseries in the same form as before. It's entirely possible that in Bishop's timeline, M had a daughter that she had to give up to live free in Australia while she fought with the X-Men until she lost her powers.

At this point I don't care what he racially identifies with, I just want the guy used the way he should be. New books coming out they aren't even sniffing at roles suited for Bishop's inclusion.

KING IN BLACK: MARAUDERS #1
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN
    Art by LUKE ROSS
    Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

THE QUEEN IN RED SAILS!

Red Queen Kate Pryde and her crew of Marauders set sail against the forces of Knull! Captain Kate has pledged to fight for the needy, and a global disaster like this one gives plenty of folks in need.

Okay, let's see what happens.