Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Damn, Steroid is just brutal with the honesty.
    Really wish I didn't have to be but the treatment of Bishop and every other black male character by the X-Office is so disrespectful and just blatant that I'm damn sure gonna speak on it. They not even trying to hide it so I'm not gonna hide how I feel. Synch was too positive and way too powerful so had to kill him off for 20 years only to bring him back and write him off for a year. Bishop reached a uncomfortable level of popularity so he had to become a baby hunting mass murderer. And yes after some years they brought him back into the fold with a paper title but simply is just the HFC's head house slave.

These characters we dare have the audacity to be able to identify with deserve better and I for one demand better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Really wish I didn't have to be but the treatment of Bishop and every other black male character by the X-Office is so disrespectful and just blatant that I'm damn sure gonna speak on it. They not even trying to hide it so I'm not gonna hide how I feel. Synch was too positive and way too powerful so had to kill him off for 20 years only to bring him back and write him off for a year. Bishop reached a uncomfortable level of popularity so he had to become a baby hunting mass murderer. And yes after some years they brought him back into the fold with a paper title but simply is just the HFC's head house slave.

These characters we dare have the audacity to be able to identify with deserve better and I for one demand better for them.
    Yes, as of now Hickman's a hair's width from getting that stink eye. I still hold out hope that he will get back to Synch's storyline. I hold Duggan's wack ass personally responsible for 85% of the crap Bishop is experiencing right now. Dude's writing 2 other books and obviously gives major input into other stories. He's got direct access to Bishop and just uses him as a prop.

Extraordinary Member

You are preaching to the choir.

It is incredibly disturbing how the X-Office has been mining many of their stories from the black experience, yet show a blatant level of disdain for black men.

Since the mid-80's, I was a x-fan. I was overjoyed with the additions of Bishop, Sync, and even the Bedlam Brothers during the 90's. The treatment they received was horrible. I became a sporadic fan before cutting my losses after AvX. The way Black Panther is treated is disgusting. So much wasted story potential.

I keep thinking with each new era, more thoughtful creators would utilize these characters, but nope.

I get the suspicion that Bishop will only blow-up again once he appears in the MCU.

You keep posting, and I'll keep reading.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 11-19-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Lol, maybe Bishop needs a change of scenery. He'd be good on an Avengers team.
    That would be amazing.

I'd love for Bishop to interact with other black heroes.

Who would not read a limited series where Bishop assist Blade in a supernatural adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Lol, maybe Bishop needs a change of scenery. He'd be good on an Avengers team.
    How's their track record with racial minorities these days?

Gold Team Member

I felt some of the same frustration that Steroid mentions when they destroyed Bishop, then had him come back eventually as an apologetic and weakened character. Bishop could take out the entire team. He was super-competent, but someone must have felt this fictional character was too much of a threat.

I hear what you're saying. In a world where there is a growing vocal demand for diversity and representation everywhere, the X-Men are still using the same playbook when it comes to Poc. They'll throw the occasional bone but then it's right back to the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    You are preaching to the choir.

It is incredibly disturbing how the X-Office has been mining many of their stories from the black experience, yet show a blatant level of disdain for black men.

Since the mid-80's, I was a x-fan. I was overjoyed with the additions of Bishop, Sync, and even the Bedlam Brothers during the 90's. The treatment they received was horrible. I became a sporadic fan before cutting my losses after AvX. The way Black Panther is treated is disgusting. So much wasted story potential.

I keep thinking with each new era, more thoughtful creators would utilize these characters, but nope.

I get the suspicion that Bishop will only blow-up again once he appears in the MCU.

You keep posting, and I'll keep reading.
    Yeah a lot of the poc characters introduced in the 90's have been pushed in the background and are pretty much ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The current Avengers have BP and Blade on the team and both have been featured prominently in stories. They can definitely use more female poc on the team for sure. The younger team, Champions, is doing a good job of handling diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
    I felt some of the same frustration that Steroid mentions when they destroyed Bishop, then had him come back eventually as an apologetic and weakened character. Bishop could take out the entire team. He was super-competent, but someone must have felt this fictional character was too much of a threat.
    Truth, in Bishop's Crossing he was knocking down an excellent X-Men squad. It was down to Storm, and was the one to finally slow Bishop down. He's the perfect one man crew that has amazing tactical skills, and good killer instict. I'm left to accept that his race is the only thing stopping him from top status. He should be in the same lane as Cyclops, Cable, and Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Good. Black Panther, Ghost Rider and Blade. It is good that they feel like part of the team, not a token minority that only is used to background diversity or to use the computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
    I don't know if you read Jones Jr essay on Cyborg on New 52, he noted that Cyborg lost his manhood on the proccess of becoming a superhero. Biggest Black superhero on the flagship team and he was castrated. It was like they were afraid of his sexuality, more here https://themiddlespaces.com/2015/03/...-not-included/

Your post remember me of this essay. Folks are afraid afraid of capable back man, that is why they turn Bishop into a villain, kills Synch.
    Last edited by baxer; 11-19-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Good. Black Panther, Ghost Rider and Blade. It is good that they feel like part of the team, not a token minority that only is used to background diversity or to use the computers.

I don't know if you read Jones Jr essay on Cyborg on New 52, he noted that Cyborg lost his manhood on the proccess of becoming a superhero. Biggest Black superhero on the flagship team and he was castrated. It was like they were afraid of his sexuality, more here https://themiddlespaces.com/2015/03/...-not-included/

Your post remember me of this essay. Folks are afraid afraid of capable back man, that is why they turn Bishop into a villain, kills Synch.
    All the more suspect when you consider the guys running and plotting out everything in the x-office are the usual suspects bunch of 30-40 years old white guys. You have wonder why they seem to deal with only writers that are like them, or think like them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    All the more suspect when you consider the guys running and plotting out everything in the x-office are the usual suspects bunch of 30-40 years old white guys. You have wonder why they seem to deal with only writers that are like them, or think like them.
    At least now there is more women working, with nly one non-binary writer. The men who call the shots are still white men on their 40s. It's the same on Avengers, but they see more open to diverisity even with less books
    The worst part is that many writers/editors won't see their racial bias, it is kinda of invisible because they go on automatic mode. tThey like the white characters more because it is easier to identify with and it narrow their choices.

Rosenberg at least seemed interested on Bishop, he wrote him on Uncanny and multiple man mini

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post

Note also that they turned Rhodey into a cyborg during Dark Reign and they gave Bishop the cybernetic arm(along with turning him into a genocidal monster)

They turned Eli into a junkie in Young Avengers. There's a troubling pattern.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Truth, in Bishop's Crossing he was knocking down an excellent X-Men squad. It was down to Storm, and was the one to finally slow Bishop down. He's the perfect one man crew that has amazing tactical skills, and good killer instict. I'm left to accept that his race is the only thing stopping him from top status. He should be in the same lane as Cyclops, Cable, and Wolverine.
    You Ain't Just Whistlin' Dixie, Mon Ami.

Extraordinary Member

Written by Chris Claremont, himself.