Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

I actually feel that Bishop would benefit to be put in a type of mentorship role for younger mutants, similar to what Cable was for the NM in the 90s but less militaristic. I would just put him in New Mutants and let him run with it, it would be something new for the character and go a long ways towards rehabilitating him, without turning NM into a new X-Force.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 12-24-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    I actually feel that Bishop would benefit to be put in a a type of mentorship role for younger mutants, similar to what Cable was for the NM in the 90s but less militaristic. I would just put him in New Mutants and let him run with it, it would be something new for the character and go a long ways towards rehabilitating him, without turning NM into a new X-Force.
    Yeah, there should be a role for Bishop where he mentors/trains young mutants like Scott trained him. Being that he's one of the Captains he should have a team of his own like the others should.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, there should be a role for Bishop where he mentors/trains young mutants like Scott trained him. Being that he's one of the Captains he should have a team of his own like the others should.
    I am thinking Bishop from DoFP (the movie) type of team. Him a a group of younger mutants would work, and I was thinking NM because Ayala actually wrote him well in AoX.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can only imagine what would have happened to Bishop if he'd had a story where he cheated on his girlfriend or wife.

Probably best not to think about.

I think this thread is the best place to ask.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...The-MU/page263
    Ah, thank you.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It's pathetic, but I think most of know full well why black male mutants are held back from their true potential. In this medium we are conditioned to just consider the artistic merit of what we read. Truthfully all art is based in some reality. In reality, in America things are tilted toward the perspective of white guys, why would this be any different for comics. It's a hard sell for the average white male to see themselves when considering black men being heroes and lovers. Heck, I observed that with white friends i had growing up. Sadly it takes a truly exceptional individual that can understand the common humanity in all of us and not care about skin. When we get that exceptional individual to write X-Men books, we may have a chance to see our guy ascending and....just maybe get a lil action on the side!
    The crazy part is that you go anywhere, like say, a college campus or mall (perhaps not now due to Covid-19), it is not uncommon to see tall, athletic black men with female companionship. Normally, the women come in all sizes, shapes, and shades. Yet, in comics, heterosexual black men are asexual, for the most part.

I remember some at Marvel scoffed at the notion of Peter Parker having the love of Mary Jane, yet no one blinks at the number of lovers Logan has over 5'5" in height.

It is a sign of writer bias for characters like Bishop to not have clear admirers. Also to consider: many of the mutants in the era are legends to Bishop. When he first entered this era, he noted Storm's physical beauty. It was a breath of fresh air when Synch was in a triangle with M & Jubilee. I should have known he'd end up dead, lol.

Just image a person who happens to be a history buff, going back in time, and interacting with attractive iconic people in their prime. Once you determine the folks you fancy are not genetic ancestors, who could resist the urge to explore more intimate relationships?

Shoot, just think of the comedic fun of asking date to take a genetic test before kissing.

Personally, I'd love to see Bishop with Frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The crazy part is that you go anywhere, like say, a college campus or mall (perhaps not now due to Covid-19), it is not uncommon to see tall, athletic black men with female companionship. Normally, the women come in all sizes, shapes, and shades. Yet, in comics, heterosexual black men are asexual, for the most part.

I remember some at Marvel scoffed at the notion of Peter Parker having the love of Mary Jane, yet no one blinks at the number of lovers Logan has over 5'5" in height.

It is a sign of writer bias for characters like Bishop to not have clear admirers. Also to consider: many of the mutants in the era are legends to Bishop. When he first entered this era, he noted Storm's physical beauty. It was a breath of fresh air when Synch was in a triangle with M & Jubilee. I should have known he'd end up dead, lol.

Just image a person who happens to be a history buff, going back in time, and interacting with attractive iconic people in their prime. Once you determine the folks you fancy are not genetic ancestors, who could resist the urge to explore more intimate relationships?

Shoot, just think of the comedic fun of asking date to take a genetic test before kissing.

Personally, I'd love to see Bishop with Frenzy.
    Lol, they won't let Bishop play any reindeer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Why would Cyclops need to be rehabilitated? .
    Which time do you need, The OG classic leaving his wife and kid? The time he wanted kids to be soldiers? The time he killed Xavier and took over the world with Phoenix force? Or the time he used super aggressive tactics and made himself enemy number one in the world? Sneak in psychically cheating on his wife somewhere.

This is not bashing Cyclops is just pointing out whatever the situation the next or current writer is going to put on their cape and make sure the character is usable. And even if you disagree and think some of those things he wasn't wrong that still the writers making sure the character doesn't get tarnished. AND that is what they should do to be clear in a franchise you should never leave character unusable.

So between making sure that the character never crosses the line into completely wrong and the writer always redeems him after Cyclops remains in good shape. There was never a real effort to make Bishop have a legit point in second coming, which is hard when his goal is to kill a baby but the story never made an effort to show the horror of Bishop's future and why hope had to be stopped in his mind. Which would have at least made you feel empathy for Bishop as well. Then story made him an outright mass murder with no attempt to make it a grey area thing, Simply making it that if Bishop had kill Hope the timeline would have changed and none of those people died would have made it a little gray because to Bishop once he did his mission all those things would be undone.

Anybody reading again I am not bashing Cyclops, I am simply pointing out whatever bad thing happens, writers will make sure to repair Cyclops. Often smaller characters don't get that luxury that Cyclops as well Xavier, Wolverine, Jean, Storm get in books. I understand being a star has its privileges and one of them is the company and writers making sure that the character is always marketable. Bishop doesn't get that in fact we got an editor point out hey look Bishop did something horrible again in the Madrox book from Rosenberg.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-25-2020 at 02:12 AM.

Blaming Cyclops for being psychically raped by Emma and for being forcibly possessed by the phoenix is ​​called victim blaming, plus, this is Bishop appreciation thread, not the anti Cyclops thread

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Blaming Cyclops for being psychically raped by Emma and for being forcibly possessed by the phoenix is ​​called victim blaming, plus, this is Bishop appreciation thread, not the anti Cyclops thread
    Apparently, you didn't read my whole comment I am pretty sure the intent was clear but since it was not I will try again

Anybody reading again I am not bashing Cyclops, I am simply pointing out whatever bad thing happens, writers will make sure to repair Cyclops. Often smaller characters don't get that luxury that Cyclops as well Xavier, Wolverine, Jean, Storm get in books
    Moving on, Apparently, you need to be in the wrong for your character to be in need of being repaired.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-25-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Apparently, you didn't read my whole comment I am pretty sure the intent was clear but since it was not I will try again

Moving on, Apparently, you need to be in the wrong for your character to be in need of being repaired.
    I thought you were pretty clear.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    I actually feel that Bishop would benefit to be put in a type of mentorship role for younger mutants, similar to what Cable was for the NM in the 90s but less militaristic.
    Now that Cable is not even a little bit suited to that role, being a teenager himself, Bishop 100% should step into that role.

Heck, back in the Academy X days, there were said to be another hundred or so students assigned to squads led by Iceman (the Excelsiors), Kitty Pryde (the Paladins), Storm (name not known), Gambit (I don't remember...), Rogue (the Advocates), etc. that we barely ever saw, I would have loved for one of those squads to be advised by Bishop and come across as kind of a 'college ROTC' squad with Bishop being a bit more drill sergeant-y than the average 'squad advisor.'

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Now that Cable is not even a little bit suited to that role, being a teenager himself, Bishop 100% should step into that role.

Heck, back in the Academy X days, there were said to be another hundred or so students assigned to squads led by Iceman (the Excelsiors), Kitty Pryde (the Paladins), Storm (name not known), Gambit (I don't remember...), Rogue (the Advocates), etc. that we barely ever saw, I would have loved for one of those squads to be advised by Bishop and come across as kind of a 'college ROTC' squad with Bishop being a bit more drill sergeant-y than the average 'squad advisor.'
    Sincerely it would be a better spot than being in two panels from time to time over in Marauders. To me Bishop could be now what Cable was in the 90s to the New Mutants, a little more drill sergeant and a little less military commander. Since he is a captain it would be a logical position to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I feel the same. Right now, he's just being wasted in Marauders. It's funny how all the Captains had a role in X of Swords except Bishop.
    YES, especially when I saw the panel from a story where Bishop took Wolverine to school with a sword, of all things during a practice session. You really see Bishop is not only a soldier, but a legit whole ass warrior! I think that at first training young mutants would be the move. Now I want to see a book where he's leading a combination of mutants from both islands to be a policing force. There's so many high level mutants that are less than noble. I don't believe for a minute they are all gonna play nice. That's where him and his team come in.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    No one's being anti-Cyclops because he's not a real person. Most of us are discussing the way characters are written by writers and dissecting their intent, execution, the fallout, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    No one's being anti-Cyclops because he's not a real person. Most of us are discussing the way characters are written by writers and dissecting their intent, execution, the fallout, etc.
    Sometimes I feel that some people forget that, and they truly believe that characters make autonomous decisions.