Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I didn't really love this issue. As much as i love character-driven storytelling, it's just going so slow. I didn't mind last month's breather issue, because the two characters needed it, but even though stuff was happening this issue...it didn't feel like anything was happening. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I didn't really love this issue. As much as i love character-driven storytelling, it's just going so slow. I didn't mind last month's breather issue, because the two characters needed it, but even though stuff was happening this issue...it didn't feel like anything was happening. Does that make sense?
    I feel the same, if Coates keeps up this pace the current rescue mission won't be finished for the next five issues. It's made worse by the fact that the inner monologue that we get instead of plot is almost cringeworthy.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Coates' stories have a tendency to drag on to the point where you lose interest. The subplots are good enough to hold your attention and you become bored.

His cap run started great and I was really interested to see where he was going. He captured Steve's voice well and the action was good. Now its just bogged down.

I couldn’t follow where Sharon Carter was in the issue. And I couldn’t recognise who was Peggy Carter, except in the flashbacks. And who fell off the helicopter? Was that the Black Widow?

The backup story was interesting to keep us on track as to what Steve Rogers mission is - to defend the idea of America not the government or the country. It’s almost like it’s everyone in America’s responsibility to form the idea of America, despite the setbacks and the hurdles put in your path. Yes, it could be horrible in America, but if you push for what it should be like, then everyone is Captain America, because you all form what you think it is, just like an organism.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I couldn’t follow where Sharon Carter was in the issue. And I couldn’t recognise who was Peggy Carter, except in the flashbacks. And who fell off the helicopter? Was that the Black Widow?
    That was Peggy aka the Dryad.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Fantastic Member

In other news, it doesn't look like an issue for the main Captain America title is coming out in February. A few other lines, like Black Widow, also don't appear and few X-titles have been pushed back, so I don't know if there's worth overthinking.

There is a King in Black tie-in separately, which I am overall "eh" about because the event doesn't excite me.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The backup story was interesting to keep us on track as to what Steve Rogers mission is - to defend the idea of America not the government or the country. It’s almost like it’s everyone in America’s responsibility to form the idea of America, despite the setbacks and the hurdles put in your path. Yes, it could be horrible in America, but if you push for what it should be like, then everyone is Captain America, because you all form what you think it is, just like an organism.
    That's a pretty good take on it, and something I'd concur with as a good interpretation of Steve Rogers's character and principles.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    That was Peggy aka the Dryad.
    Peggy in Armor? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a pretty good take on it, and something I'd concur with as a good interpretation of Steve Rogers's character and principles.
    Sometimes it makes sense. Thanks

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sometimes it makes sense. Thanks
    You're welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Reading the latest issue I just felt that I want Coates to get on with it and finish this story. I'm kinda hoping that the lack of an issue in Feb is an indication that he'll be leaving the book after 2 more issues.

However, I really enjoyed the back-up. I like when writers can weave in a more personal story into existing continuity. Sorta like what is going on in the Snapshots one-shots right now.

Steve's MCU actor Chris Evans was just announced as the new Buzz Lightyear!
    https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1337195228797661184
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Steve's MCU actor Chris Evans was just announced as the new Buzz Lightyear!
    https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1337195228797661184
    I love Chris Evans but I would've kept Tim Allen, personally.

Reminds me of that Buzz Lightyear cartoon I used to watch as a kid .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I don't know about you, but I had a lot of enjoyment watching this:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Evans tweeted that the movie would be about the "real life" Buzz, whom the toy is based off of. Probably in the younger years too. So I get it. I love Tim Allen to death though. Maybe we'll get an appearance of sorts somehow.

Buzz is the Captain America of Star Command though. So I get it.
    Last edited by cc008; 12-11-2020 at 10:41 AM.